• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

When they're fucking predictable as hell and not enjoyable, how are they a good thing? Please enlighten me.

Literally every piece of media you have ever consumed is made of nothing but tropes.

All they are is conventions in writing that allow creators to more effectively communicate with their audiences. The whole problem with Danny Rand in this series is that they're trying to merge two sets that have no business being together (zen cloud cuckoolander with tortured avenger). It's a mess, precisely because they aren't using their tropes well.

Also, the fights are garbage, but that's not really trope related per se.

Owzers

the problem with pre-ordering floppies is that i know if i skip two months i'm pretty much done, there's no going back once you have a gap.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Literally every piece of media you have ever consumed is made of nothing but tropes.

All they are is conventions in writing that allow creators to more effectively communicate with their audiences. The whole problem with Danny Rand in this series is that they're trying to merge two sets that have no business being together (zen cloud cuckoolander with tortured avenger). It's a mess, precisely because they aren't using their tropes well.

Also, the fights are garbage, but that's not really trope related per se.

True

And yeah, the fight scenes are incredibly disappointing. I could overlook the poor writing if those scenes were better executed.

Inhumans is going to suck too :(

Finally read The Visitor #1. Very light read, but it seems like it'll be a fun story the more this progresses. Paul Grist does a pretty decent Mignola impersonation too.

I need Iron Fist fights to be more of this:

f3Kb8HA.gif

and less of this:

PjABm2d.gif

Finally read The Visitor #1. Very light read, but it seems like it'll be a fun story the more this progresses. Paul Grist does a pretty decent Mignola impersonation too.

Mmm. I'm a little weary of the stuff Roberson is doing. He has a passion for the lore but I don't know, I've only read the one trade of the stuff he's worked on so far and it didn't grab me (hb and the bprd 1953). I hope I come around there because the actual stuff he's working on, Black Flame, Witchfinder, The Visitor, is all stuff that I would have been super excited for written by Mig or Arcudi. I'm glad it seems to be Allie on BPRD proper, at least that's a known quantity.

We're going to miss Arcudi so much.

Mmm. I'm a little weary of the stuff Roberson is doing. He has a passion for the lore but I don't know, I've only read the one trade of the stuff he's worked on so far and it didn't grab me (hb and the bprd 1953). I hope I come around there because the actual stuff he's working on, Black Flame, Witchfinder, The Visitor, is all stuff that I would have been super excited for written by Mig or Arcudi. I'm glad it seems to be Allie on BPRD proper, at least that's a known quantity.

We're going to miss Arcudi so much.

I know exactly what you mean. Arcudi in many ways was BPRD, so losing him is such a shame. I thought 1953 and 1954 so far are also just OK outside of the great art, but definitely not up to the main two books.

At least Arcudi went out with a fantastic finale. And we still have Rumble, which I need to read more of sometime.

Just not feeling comics right now. Whenever I feel like reading a comic I read 1 or 2 out of my backlog. But even that has only lead to me reading 3-4 comics a week. Burned out hard. Haven't read any of Mercy even. In a bit of a funk recently.

Nah. It happens. I got so burnt out on anime at one point I just couldn't watch it anymore. Still can't. Trying to sit through an episode is torture. I just keep thinking about how I'd rather be doing something else.

At least Arcudi went out with a fantastic finale. And we still have Rumble, which I need to read more of sometime.

Absolutely! Rumble is so good man. I've only read the first two volumes so far but it's such a good followup to their work together on BPRD. I almost find it hard to believe at this point one of the big two hasn't brought Harren on board for something. Apparently volume 3 really blows the doors off with the payoffs and twists too. Pretty interested by Arcudi's prison cop book he just put out at Dark Horse too.

I still have a few dcyou era books to mop up that I've missed out on, probably a mistake buying Rebirth trades before I did that, but this and the Damien book are two I really want to make the time for. Do you know if v2 overlaps with the Robin War crossover, or did they totally segment those issues into their own trade?

Just finished reading We Are Robin #7 - #12. The structure of the trade is a bit weird. It starts off with a small blurb about happenings after #6 and "Robin War part 4" but that doesn't seem like a full issue? (For some reason, DC seems to be averse to numbering the issues in trades)?Then we get a 5 issue arc and 1 conclusion issue and they have nothing to do with Robin War.

I thought this volume was great. It looked like the creative team started finding their feet. They let us get to know the characters directly instead of mainly through tweets. The five issue arc was interesting even though it was another "Joker" arc in a batbook. The last conclusion issue was pretty good too, though I am still weirded out by Alfred. Shame the book got cancelled just when it seemed to be hitting its stride.

There's too many quick cuts, punches and kicks look and sound hollow, and just the overall martial arts moves look bland. There's no style. It's almost Power Rangers level of quality but Power Rangers had effects going for it.

Imagine Iron Fist fight scenes looking this raw and intense.

The sound is an important aspect, I feel. There's very little audible impact to the blows. Further issues I'm picking up on more are that slow mo is really poorly used, and the camera is crazy static.

You know what it is, it's fights designed for shaky cam, but without the shaky cam.

What's a good Iron Fist run outside of Brubaker/Fraction/Aja?

I would say try out Kaare Andrews' The Living Weapon run BUT with the large, large caveat that everyone else in the thread hates it and tends to lose their shit when I suggest it's any good haha. I wouldn't say it's incredible either, but I did have a good time with it. I may be the only one though, and I'll cop to that.

Hopeful that Brisson steps up with the upcoming run, and have power man and iron fist sitting in my basket right now. That Sanford Greene art :eek:

The current Power Man and Iron Fist. Honestly that's about it so far, unless you want to dig up on the old 70s stuff. He doesn't have that many runs that are memorable.

Hmm. Still waiting for my library to get the trades.

I tried the first epic collection for the older stuff, didn't really grab me immediately like Shang-Chi did. Might try again.

I would say try out Kaare Andrews' The Living Weapon run BUT with the large, large caveat that everyone else in the thread hates it and tends to lose their shit when I suggest it's any good haha. I wouldn't say it's incredible either, but I did have a good time with it. I may be the only one though, and I'll cop to that.

Hopeful that Brisson steps up with the upcoming run, and have power man and iron fist sitting in my basket right now. That Sanford Greene art :eek:

It looks like we are the only two people on here enjoying the Netflix Iron Fist series. :D So will give this a shot.

caliph95

Remember liking the art of the living weapon don't remember anything else from the story. Probably not a wining endorsement

Sandfox

I've seen people on multiple websites guess Night Thrasher for the new Patriot.

I want a New Warriors book built centered around at least some of the old school members.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I have no more room in my heart to hate Andrew's Iron Fist: The Living Weapon, for I have discovered Persona 4 Dancing All Night and all that is left with in me is the music.

Also, for a guy called Iron Fist, he sure uses the iron fist just about never.

Vibranium

Banned
Sanford Greene's art is awesome, I like Power Man and Iron Fist a lot, Danny's goofiness is fun. Still haven't bothered to watch the show. Wake me when Orson Randall is cast and Immortal Iron Fist is adapted (probably not going to happen sadly).

caliph95

I have no more room in my heart to hate Andrew's Iron Fist: The Living Weapon, for I have discovered Persona 4 Dancing All Night and all that is left with in me is the music.

Also, for a guy called Iron Fist, he sure uses the iron fist just about never.
It is limited by the power of story and effects because whenever he really needs it all he says i can't do that because the story would be over i mean because he run out of chi.

Tried reading some Vertigo series called Jacked. Tried being the operative word.

Thankfully, Constantine #1 - #6 was pretty good fun. Looked great and miles ahead of the last Constantine centered series I read (Justice League Dark).

Top Bottom