• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

mreddie

Hey, to each their own man. I find it remarkable how we all can love the same comics but then have wildly different tastes when the stuff is transposed to TV and movies, but we see it again and again. Just goes to show. I definitely wouldn't put the choreography near Daredevil yet though (although I would say they haven't really did a real fight yet either where I'm at), it's the plot and character side of the show I'm enjoying so far.

I forgave JJs stupidity keeping Purple Man alive and the 2nd half of Cage but man, this MAH BUSINESS bullshit is pissing me off.

Just finishing up episode 3,but honestly think Iron Fist is pretty great so far, it's between Daredevil season 1 and season 2 for me right now. The way it's been spoke about, I was bracing to experience what might be the worst of the Netflix stuff, but at the moment it's slowly heading towards the top. Early days though, it could take a drastic down turn, but given several were the episodes reviewed by some of the major sites, I'm feeling optimistic.

I have to agree. 4 episodes in it is surprisingly fun b-movie cheesy ride.

I forgave JJs stupidity keeping Purple Man alive and the 2nd half of Cage but man, this MAH BUSINESS bullshit is pissing me off.

Rand! It means something!

I have to agree. 4 episodes in it is surprisingly fun b-movie cheesy ride.

I mean yea, even when I talk about these shows and enjoying it, you gotta recognise that they are. I remember them talking about how they considered Daredevil similar to the wire. These shows are not that, they're not true high class drama, they are a little cheesy, but that doesn't mean they can't be fun or even compelling on the level they do operate on.

Also. Nothing forgives the second half of Cage :L

error4041

Well Logan was a punch in the feels. Definitely up there with The Dark Knight and The Winter Soldier has one of my favorite comicbook movies.

Sandfox

It's weird how Bendis went directly from CW2, which isn't good, to his quality Iron Man books and Jessica Jones. Dude started getting a lot of books that don't fit him after he became a big deal.

Messi

It's weird how Bendis went directly from CW2, which isn't good, to his quality Iron Man books and Jessica Jones. Dude started getting a lot of books that don't fit him after he became a big deal.

Bendis has always been a better solo hero street level writer. His Iron Man also started before Civil War I believe and his Miles book has been consistently good to great. Events aren't his strong suit. Just a bad fit.

Guardians
All New X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
Ultimate Spider-Man
Invincible Iron Man
International Iron Man
Spider-Man (reboot)

CIVIL WAR 2

Jessica Jones
Infamous Iron Man (DOOM)
Invincible Iron Man (RiRi)

Not a bad track record. Honestly. He just needs to pull away from events. I didn't include his secret wars books as I am absolving every writer of those shitty tie ins due to mandate except Angela as that was awesome and continued the story)

error4041

It's even crazier since both Iron Man books and Jessica Jones all dealt with fallout from Civil War II even if briefly.

mreddie

Bendis Avengers was 2004-2012 aka the insane shit.

Scarlet Witch going batshit
Killing Hawkeye
Killing Wasp
Secret Invasion
Dark Reign
Siege

Bendis Avengers was 2004-2012 aka the insane shit.

Scarlet Witch going batshit
Killing Hawkeye
Killing Wasp
Secret Invasion
Dark Reign
Siege

jkjzSeC.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Iron Fist is "ill watch this in the background or while checking my phone" tier. So, basically, like the CW shows :3

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Iron Fist is "ill watch this in the background or while checking my phone" tier. So, basically, like the CW shows :3

Yeah, it's real boring.

I just don't know why they got this show pitched to them and thought, "yeah, this is the direction we want to take this show. You're hired, Scott Buck!"

Jim Lee does Wolverine sketches on his spare time on social media. Is it too much to ask for one variant? I know he's shacked up with DC but X-Men is still a huge part of his legacy.

mreddie

Yeah, it's real boring.

I just don't know why they got this show pitched to them and thought, "yeah, this is the direction we want to take this show. You're hired, Scott Buck!"

Marvel TV was nervous anyone would buy the mystical shit.

This was before Doc Strange made money hand over fist.

caliph95

I'm watching it while browisng neogaf now so it's true.
I feel like i could catch up on comics while watching some scenes because i feel like i would miss nothing.

caliph95

Yeah after my question yesterday i checked and just realised i'm probably halfway through Hell on earth already lol. No i just need to know where i stopped.

Sandfox, do you have a link to that "Dan Slott explains why the marriage will never come back even if everyone at Marvel is replaced" thing?

Yeah after my question yesterday i checked and just realised i'm probably halfway through Hell on earth already lol. No i just need to know where i stopped.

Nice! It gets sooooo good. The end of Davis' stuff and the Crook stuff is good, but when they bring in Harren & Campbell to illustrate the bigger arcs, damn. Arcudi's writing is great all the way through, but the partners he gets just elevates the book to such a high level.

On the Bendis stuff, he's written some incredible stuff at Marvel, going back to Daredevil & Alias, I'll always see the potential for greatness when he's announced to work on something. I just think he needs a strong, forthright editor for his vices on even just a regular monthly, whereas he's probably encouraged to indulge in them for events. When he handed in his Civil War scripts, it should of been "Nope, you need to tighten this up, or get these plot point moving quicker" whereas he probably got "Do you think you could add a few more issues" or "add a few more exposition talking head moments for the dumb readers, or so we can also set up this tie in" etc etc. There's probably as much truth to getting books that don't fit him, as there is to writing quality events at Marvel is a minefield with all the other stuff expected.

Sadist

So watched the first three eps of Legion, went to see Logan last night and watching Iron Fist. And in two months we'll get Guardians 2. What a time to be alive.

And hey, Bendis discussion. I just like Ultimate Spider-Man. Well except the final issue of Miles before Secret Wars. That was like a wet fart.

Nice! It gets sooooo good. The end of Davis' stuff and the Crook stuff is good, but when they bring in Harren & Campbell to illustrate the bigger arcs, damn. Arcudi's writing is great all the way through, but the partners he gets just elevates the book to such a high level.

On the Bendis stuff, he's written some incredible stuff at Marvel, going back to Daredevil & Alias, I'll always see the potential for greatness when he's announced to work on something. I just think he needs a strong, forthright editor for his vices on even just a regular monthly, whereas he's probably encouraged to indulge in them for events. When he handed in his Civil War scripts, it should of been "Nope, you need to tighten this up, or get these plot point moving quicker" whereas he probably got "Do you think you could add a few more issues" or "add a few more exposition talking head moments for the dumb readers, or so we can also set up this tie in" etc etc. There's probably as much truth to getting books that don't fit him, as there is to writing quality events at Marvel is a minefield with all the other stuff expected.
Bendis literally had Coates say "Don't start your event by killing off Rhodey. It's a really bad idea." and he was ignored.

Bendis literally had Coates say "Don't start your event by killing off Rhodey. It's a really bad idea." and he was ignored.

Well that's a perfect example right. Not only should there (and would there) have been multiple editors, higher story direction guys there that should veto stuff like that, it speaks to issues above the quality of his writing that a full room did walk out of the room with that decision in stone, despite other writers objecting. To me that's a perfect exmaple of both his lack of suitability to some of these big events AND where the infrastructure fails also.

Just to clarify, this is definitely getting off what my thoughts were. I was speaking more to his writing style rather than specific plot decisions and while I've kind of adapted to the Rhodey thing there, I can't say I feel passionately either way about War Machine. When Bendis bothers me, it's not really the plot decisions. Any plot point can be justified if it's been thought through intelligently and presented in the right manner. What I hate is his tendencies towards excruciatingly slow plot development and pacing over many issues,and a lack of organic plot happenings.

A little late for st. paddy's but I saw Dustin Nguyen had put this up. It's incredibly cute haha

If we want to speak about shows that are far less questionably good, I can't wait to see the new season of The Americans. I hate that they haven't put that out on bluray here in the UK :(

So, where does We Are Robin #1 - #6 connect up? Duke is still looking for his parents but I thought he found them in Batman v9 Bloom? The issues felt a bit all over the place but they looked really pretty. Also surprised by Alfred's role, doesn't seem like something he would do.

Messi

Whats a good starter Swamp Thing story for me to read if I have never read anything about him before? Snyders?

So, where does We Are Robin #1 - #6 connect up? Duke is still looking for his parents but I thought he found them in Batman v9 Bloom? The issues felt a bit all over the place but they looked really pretty. Also surprised by Alfred's role, doesn't seem like something he would do.

The issue leading up to Alfred's reveal and the actual reveal are legit amazing.

Well that's a perfect example right. Not only should there (and would there) have been multiple editors, higher story direction guys there that should veto stuff like that, it speaks to issues above the quality of his writing that a full room did walk out of the room with that decision in stone, despite other writers objecting. To me that's a perfect exmaple of both his lack of suitability to some of these big events AND where the infrastructure fails also.

Just to clarify, this is definitely getting off what my thoughts were. I was speaking more to his writing style rather than specific plot decisions and while I've kind of adapted to the Rhodey thing there, I can't say I feel passionately either way about War Machine. When Bendis bothers me, it's not really the plot decisions. Any plot point can be justified if it's been thought through intelligently and presented in the right manner. What I hate is his tendencies towards excruciatingly slow plot development and pacing over many issues,and a lack of organic plot happenings.

A little late for st. paddy's but I saw Dustin Nguyen had put this up. It's incredibly cute haha

Well said, especially to the bolded. It's a big part of why I'm so critical on his Guardians run in particular-- I read seven issues and can't recall anything beyond Gamora sleeping with Tony and that was more because of the gorgeous art than his writing. I ended up buying #7 twice because I forgot if I read it, which isn't a very good thing.

I think his other big weakness is the fact that his "voice" for the characters is so samey. It's very evident in team booms like Avengers and Guardians. He is not a good fit for them. Then again, I only really like Daredevil and USM from him. I thought Alias was very underwhelming personally, despite the immense praise it gets.

We Are Robin takes place before Bloom, iirc.

Also, great series. That pop art issue.

Whats a good starter Swamp Thing story for me to read if I have never read anything about him before? Snyders?

The issue leading up to Alfred's reveal and the actual reveal are legit amazing.

We Are Robin takes place before Bloom, iirc.

Also, great series. That pop art issue.

Yeah, there were some nice moments. And the pop art issue was lovely. And some interesting characters introduced. But the volume read more like an anthology than an arc. Have v2 up next.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Over half way through Iron Fist episode one. Yeah, this is pretty shit.

Danny is a total clown too

Hire Scott Buck and you'll get a Scott Buck show, worried for the Inhumans show now

Vic_Viper

After watching some of the Iron Fist series I was thinking about the character in the books.

Why does Iron Fist offer to teach Hope at the end of AvX, and was that ever expanded upon in his or her series after the event?

Speaking of Hope, how is she still not a part of this new X-Men relaunch. I know they have young Jean, but Hope could be used in so many ways Jean couldn't be.

Over half way through Iron Fist episode one. Yeah, this is pretty shit.

Danny is a total clown too

Hire Scott Buck and you'll get a Scott Buck show, worried for the Inhumans show now

I heard about episode 6.

Yeah, fuck this show. I don't know how you can fuck up a story arc that was so cool in the comics.

Top Bottom