• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

Yeah, there were some nice moments. And the pop art issue was lovely. And some interesting characters introduced. But the volume read more like an anthology than an arc. Have v2 up next.

I still have a few dcyou era books to mop up that I've missed out on, probably a mistake buying Rebirth trades before I did that, but this and the Damien book are two I really want to make the time for. Do you know if v2 overlaps with the Robin War crossover, or did they totally segment those issues into their own trade?

Hire Scott Buck and you'll get a Scott Buck show, worried for the Inhumans show now

Give Buck a chance! I heard if he gets a second season, he plans to adapt Kaare Andrews' the living weapon

Owzers

Over half way through Iron Fist episode one. Yeah, this is pretty shit.

Danny is a total clown too

Hire Scott Buck and you'll get a Scott Buck show, worried for the Inhumans show now
I bet the second half of the episode is really good and when you finish it you're going to to feel silly.

caliph95

I bet the second half of the episode is really good and when you finish it you're going to to feel silly.
qGwrdWK.gif

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Damn, Buck has the TV Tropes handbook and he's going through it page by page, huh?

Nope. It got worse. TV trope after TV trope, they're even doing an
asylum story now

Sandfox

I like how Rich posted the Dan Slott stuff today. It's also, funny how people continue to try and come up with arguments on why Slott is wrong because they don't want to accept it.

I like how Rich posted the Dan Slott stuff today. It's also, funny how people continue to try and come up with arguments on why Slott is wrong because they don't want to accept it.
Slott is wrong
because Silver Surfer isn't released once every month and suffers delays too often

error4041

Speaking of Marvel and Marriage, what about the fact that Steve and Sharon got engaged off panel just before Steve got stuck in Dimension Z?

Messi

Slott is wrong
because Silver Surfer isn't released once every month and suffers delays too often

That's a passion project, Spider-Man comes first. Plus i'd rather him and Allred take thei9r time and continue to deliver the quality we have been getting. When its all over we wont remember the delays and we will have a stellar run.

That's a passion project, Spider-Man comes first. Plus i'd rather him and Allred take thei9r time and continue to deliver the quality we have been getting. When its all over we wont remember the delays and we will have a stellar run.
Will you pick up the Allred Bug Young Animal book?

VanWinkle

Now that I've finished Horizon Zero Dawn (astonishingly good), I hope I can get back into reading my comics. I have so many books to read.

Man, I need to get back into Zelda too. I just am not feeling interested in it right now. Maybe I'll wait a week or two for my Horizon hype to die down.

Messi

The YA trades are still so far off. Shade isn't showing face until August </3

I wish DC was better about this. Trades could easily convert new readers into floppy readers

I do want to applaud the move to trades first HCs second, allowing us to avoid the situation like Batgirl and Grayson a year or two ago when we have vol 1 in HC and the rest in TP. I also love how many titles they are doing hardcovers for.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I wish DC was better about this. Trades could easily convert new readers into floppy readers

I do want to applaud the move to trades first HCs second, allowing us to avoid the situation like Batgirl and Grayson a year or two ago when we have vol 1 in HC and the rest in TP. I also love how many titles they are doing hardcovers for.

They now only need to fix their Event Releases. Night of the Monster Men is not avaiable in Trade until Fall or Winter and I think that is quiet some time after the Trades of the series moved past this point. I would be fine with it, if it would be a Oversized Hardcover with the shedule in Marvel style (Event OHC pretty soon after the Event finished, Trade long long later)

JTripper

Finally hooked on Seeley's Nightwing run. It's been fun for the most part but the last 3 or so issues have been stellar.

Latest Hatter-centered All-Star was pretty good too.

Hagi

They now only need to fix their Event Releases. Night of the Monster Men is not avaiable in Trade until Fall or Winter and I think that is quiet some time after the Trades of the series moved past this point. I would be fine with it, if it would be a Oversized Hardcover with the shedule in Marvel style (Event OHC pretty soon after the Event finished, Trade long long later)

Isn't this the case already? the HC is already out not long after the event with the trade further down the line.

It will definitely lead to more consistency, I was on the bad end of both of those decisions. The only problem is is givens them a lot of time to get bullish on the HCs, pretty sure I read yesterday they delisted the planned Aquaman OHC and something else I've forgotten. But at least then you'll end up with consistent paperbacks.

Hagi

Its not oversized.

Oh it's just standard trade size? that doesn't bother me much, as long as it's the same size as the the other hardcovers are the same size I'll be happy.

It will definitely lead to more consistency, I was on the bad end of both of those decisions. The only problem is is givens them a lot of time to get bullish on the HCs, pretty sure I read yesterday they delisted the planned Aquaman OHC and something else I've forgotten. But at least then you'll end up with consistent paperbacks.

That's weird Amazon still have the Aquaman OHC up for preorder.

Messi

The Aquaman OHC is still on amazon. They better not cancel it now that Sejic is coming.

The delisting thing could be bad info. I saw it being discussed on the omnibus OHC collectors group on Facebook. Those guys are pretty dialled in on this stuff so I just assumed, but it could have been a local issue or something. They probably sensed the Sejic numbers and went straight to OOHC

I'm such a mark for any story that features hydra or the hand. Nazis and ninjas. I bet if marvel had some sort of secret organisation based on pirates I'd be into it.

Owzers

Huh. I mean, it's good to cut back, but why cut all the way back?
Finally realizing comics were a mistake. I have no desire to make a dcbs order for the third straight month, last two I caved, I just don't see a point. Maybe to complete east of west and reselling walking dead?

I want to name the second horse I tame in Zelda "Messi".

Yeah, I too have not bought any non-bundle comics for awhile now, barring Rat Queens #1 and the MMPR books. Just not feeling it right now, still no tablet either.

The closest I am to comics right now is I started Gaiman's book of Norse myth yesterday, which is pretty awesome so far.

Messi

Huh. I mean, it's good to cut back, but why cut all the way back?

Just not feeling comics right now. Whenever I feel like reading a comic I read 1 or 2 out of my backlog. But even that has only lead to me reading 3-4 comics a week. Burned out hard. Haven't read any of Mercy even. In a bit of a funk recently.

Watched the first two episodes of Iron Fist and it's okay. Acting isn't great from some of the characters. Dialogue is awkward at some points, blah blah general criticisms that no one gives a fuck about.

The big problem here is that the show has no unique feel as of yet. No real "flavor" to it. The previous series all have had their own palettes, visual aesthetics, and overall styles. They had very strong omnipresent themes as well. This show does not have that so far, save for the theme of "identity." It's very clear that it's going for that, and I do respect that. I suppose you could interpret that on a very meta level that the show has a reason to not establish its own identity this early. I'm not, but I like that idea.
M8 don't blame this on TV tropes. Tropes are tools. Buck just sucks.
I fucking hate it when people bring up tropes like they're a bad thing.

After watching some of the Iron Fist series I was thinking about the character in the books.

Why does Iron Fist offer to teach Hope at the end of AvX, and was that ever expanded upon in his or her series after the event?

Speaking of Hope, how is she still not a part of this new X-Men relaunch. I know they have young Jean, but Hope could be used in so many ways Jean couldn't be.
Probably to help expand on the chi and Phoenix shit that happened. Dunno if it was expanded upon, but I doubt it. Also Hope is going to show up in the Jean Grey solo to help Jean with the Phoenix.

Watched the first two episodes of Iron Fist and it's okay. Acting isn't great from some of the characters. Dialogue is awkward at some points, blah blah general criticisms that no one gives a fuck about.

The big problem here is that the show has no unique feel as of yet. No real "flavor" to it. The previous series all have had their own palettes, visual aesthetics, and overall styles. They had very strong omnipresent themes as well. This show does not have that so far, save for the theme of "identity." It's very clear that it's going for that, and I do respect that. I suppose you could interpret that on a very meta level that the show has a reason to not establish its own identity this early. I'm not, but I like that idea.

I knooooooow. What's funny is, halfway through the first Iron Fist episode, I think the problem is just the opposite of "going through the book." Making this rote would've worked a lot better. Zen hero returns to the place of his birth to seek answers and dispense wisdom, boom. Instead, he's like weirdly unstable too. They're mixing and matching stuff that has no business getting mixed and matched, lol.

The big problem here is that the show has no unique feel as of yet. No real "flavor" to it. The previous series all have had their own palettes, visual aesthetics, and overall styles. They had very strong omnipresent themes as well. This show does not have that so far, save for the theme of "identity.".

I'm enjoying it, but I wouldn't disagree with any of this either. It feels very much culled from aspects of what worked on Daredevil in its style and aesthetics, especially as other elements come into the plot but it doesn't add much itself. I found Cage much poorer than this BUT it had a much stronger sense of style, visually, stylistically, the music etc.

Up to episode 6 now. I do think it has really solid attention to character going for it, and follows the characters logically from point to point over pushing them towards the obvious stuff immediately. I appreciate that a lot in something that wants to be a character driven drama.

All them thor trades *_*.

Glad they're reprinting #80-85 aka Ragnarok alongside Beta Ray Bill's mini series. Also finishing up Lee/Kirby run in epic collections.

Iron Fist isn't as bad as the reviews were saying. It's certainly not as good as the other three (I didn't care about JJ as much though, and I'm surprised there's so many haters of Luke Cage here). Need to pick up Immortal Iron Fist.

Glad they're reprinting #80-85 aka Ragnarok alongside Beta Ray Bill's mini series. Also finishing up Lee/Kirby run in epic collections.

Iron Fist isn't as bad as the reviews were saying. It's certainly not as good as the other three (I didn't care about JJ as much though, and I'm surprised there's so many haters of Luke Cage here). Need to pick up Immortal Iron Fist.
It's because of the second half. That shit is super divisive.

Ah, I wouldn't call myself a Cage hater. The season was a disappointment for me and Diamondback... But I try not begrudge people's likes. If you liked it man, more power to you. I still really like Luke, and aspects of that season. I'm not into reveling and calling this stuff pure shit or question it's existence etc. It's all pretty good stuff to me, and I'm glad we get it.

And yes! Immortal Iron Fist is incredible. I'd love a second season of this since they would have enough groundwork laid to adapt it. Fantastic run.

Immortal Iron Fist with Fraction/Bru is so good. A real must read IMO.

Sandfox

It's on sale.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

When they're fucking predictable as hell and not enjoyable, how are they a good thing? Please enlighten me.

Top Bottom