• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

Messi

I was trying to remember what titles were DCYou. Heres a list. We got some good stuff out of that all told.

Batman Beyond
Bat-Mite (6-issue limited)
Bizarro (6-issue limited)
Black Canary
Constantine: The Hellblazer
Cyborg
Dark Universe
Green Lantern: Lost Army
Doomed
Earth 2: Society
Dr. Fate
Harley Quinn/Power Girl (6-issue limited)
Justice League of America
Justice League 3001
Martian Manhunter
Midnighter
Omega Men
Prez
Red Hood/Arsenal
Robin, Son of Batman
Section Eight (6-issue limited)
Starfire
We Are Robin

Dark Universe never happened right? I think I would remember a Dark Universe book with Ming Doyle on art.

We are Robin, Starfire, Robin Son of Batman, Prez, Omega Men, Midnighter, Martian Manhunter, Black Canary, Harley/Pee Gee were all worth reading. Omega Men being a classic

shingi70

Banned
I was trying to remember what titles were DCYou. Heres a list. We got some good stuff out of that all told.

Batman Beyond
Black Canary
Cyborg
Dark Universe
Doomed
Dr. Fate
Justice League 3001
Martian Manhunter
Midnighter
Omega Men
Prez
Red Hood/Arsenal
Robin, Son of Batman
Starfire
We Are Robin

Dark Universe never happened right? I think I would remember a Dark Universe book with Ming Doyle on art.

We are Robin, Starfire, Robin Son of Batman, Prez, Omega Men, Midnighter, Martian Manhunter, Black Canary, Harley/Pee Gee were all worth reading. Omega Men being a classic

Dark Universe and Mystic U are the two books that never happened.

Batman Beyond
Black Canary
Cyborg
Dark Universe
Doomed
Dr. Fate
Justice League 3001
Martian Manhunter
Midnighter
Omega Men
Prez
Red Hood/Arsenal
Robin, Son of Batman
Starfire
We Are Robin

Out of all of those I've read: Batman Beyond was boring as fuck, as was Red Hood and Arsenal. Black Canary and Midnighter were great, though.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Erica Henderson posted a sketch of Emma Frost on twitter and said she drew it after being told they can't use Emma in an upcoming issue of Squirrel Girl so of course that is all she wants to sketch now. Marvel has plans? You gonna redeem my girl?

That was probably even more hideous than Bachelo's Emma. :)

Dalek

Erica Henderson posted a sketch of Emma Frost on twitter and said she drew it after being told they can't use Emma in an upcoming issue of Squirrel Girl so of course that is all she wants to sketch now. Marvel has plans? You gonna redeem my girl?

That sucks-Emma appearing in Squirrel Girl is an inspired idea.

Well I finished Scarlet Vol. 1. It was okay. Incredibly slow, and while I do appreciate taking the time to build the characters and relationships...it really didn't build much of anything. Just Scarlet herself. The characters lack any trace of a unique voice. Everybody cusses a lot and talks with the same perceived tone. The conversations feel like it's someone talking to their own self, though I do like the fourth-wall narration. The premise of the book is solid, and a lot does happen, but it feels like ot takes forever. I feel like a part of that is that I expected something more action-oriented. Previous Bendis and Maleev collabs I had read balanced action with slower moments. This is all slower moments with an occasional explosion beat: a gun shot or an explosion. Very little else. I expected a more action-oriented book because I judged a book by its cover and cover summary. I am intrigued as to where this goes, but I'm not in a hurry to find the end.

VanWinkle

Batman Beyond
Black Canary
Cyborg
Dark Universe
Doomed
Dr. Fate
Justice League 3001
Martian Manhunter
Midnighter
Omega Men
Prez
Red Hood/Arsenal
Robin, Son of Batman
Starfire
We Are Robin

Bro, speaking of Red Hood/Arsenal, have you been reading the Rebirth RHatO? It's surprisingly fantastic.

Started Phalanx Covenant. So THIS is what 90s X-Men is like? Well well well. This is kinda fun.

Insanely over the top. The first issue is Candy Southern ripping out her own gutS to kill a technorganic reanimation of Cameron Hodge.

"Escalated quickly" is the best description for this.

VanWinkle

Star Wars OHC Vol. 1 down. That was great fun. I really enjoyed it. And MAN, I just love Stuart Immonen's art. He never lets me down.

Now onto Darth Vader OHC Vol. 1.

Started Phalanx Covenant. So THIS is what 90s X-Men is like? Well well well. This is kinda fun.

Insanely over the top. The first issue is Candy Southern ripping out her own gutS to kill a technorganic reanimation of Cameron Hodge.

The Phalanx must be the one X-Men villain that haven't returned for an X-Men story in modern times. They got Conquest but that was cosmic and Ultron was the real threat.

Happy about the Future Quest news.

jurgen

DCYou was a commercial failure but man were there some great books. Robin Son of Batman, Martian Manhunter, Black Canary, Midnighter were really great. Prez was the best satire I had read in comics in years. Bizarro was endearing.

Omega Men is one of my favorite books from last year. I was resistant to it at first but that slow burn turned into one of the the bleakest and most exciting books I've read. As soon as Kalista shows up, I realized King was going to do something really special.

Still trying to figure out how Dr Fate had an issue drawn by Brendan McCarthy

That's fucking crazy. How did that even happen??

When your writer is the former president and publisher of DC Comics, that helps.

The Phalanx must be the one X-Men villain that haven't returned for an X-Men story in modern times. They got Conquest but that was cosmic and Ultron was the real threat.

I know Kieron Gillen was wanting to do something with them in his Uncanny run. He was even teasing Sinister having a handful of specimens and there was a one-off issue with them in his run but that's another casualty of Marvel Now and Bendis wanting to take over the X-books.

I wish Gillen's X-Men run could have gone on forever. Marvel, if you want me to pick up the X-books again, replace Guggenheim with Gillen.

I'm digging JRJr's art for this, but he needed better inkers. Or colorists.
I'd be cool with this. His run pre-Legacy was under-appreciated and had a great team dynamic.
I have yet to read all of it, but what I have read (all the way through Hecatomb) I have loved unconditionally.

jurgen

It had honestly one of the best X-men team in recent memories

Cable, Cannonball, Iceman, Lady Mastermind, Mystique, Omega Sentinel, Rogue, Sabretooth... it was the definition of a powder keg.

And I had forgotten how long Mike Carey's run was. 73 consecutive issues. He's second only to Claremont for a consecutive run. He did wonders for Rogue's character and it's also got what I consider to be the last good take on Iceman.

Sandfox

X-Men Prime was a nice introduction to the new status quo. It didn't go into too much detail with what the individual books would be doing, but it does a good job of showing the direction the line is going in with ResurrXion.

X-Men Prime was a nice introduction to the new status quo. It didn't go into too much detail with what the individual books would be doing, but it does a good job of showing the direction the line is going in with ResurrXion.

Real talk tho, why are the young Xmen never going back?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
That's explained in All-New X-Men, which I'm too tired to read right now, but based on the dialogue in Prime,
it turns out that they might actually be from another reality/timeline.
But why was Old Cyclops about to disappear when Young Cyc almost died back then when the run started?

caliph95

That's explained in All-New X-Men, which I'm too tired to read right now, but based on the dialogue in Prime,
it turns out that they might actually be from another reality/timeline.
Even though that is consistent with how time travel works or supposed this still is so absurd and hilarious

Even though that is consistent with how time travel works or supposed this still is so absurd and hilarious
Didn't
they use Doom's time machine which is supposed to actually take you back in time and not to another reality or anything else? They must really want them to stay despite fan reactions.

caliph95

Didn't
they use Doom's time machine which is supposed to actually take you back in time and not to another reality or anything else? They must really want them to stay despite fan reactions.
Plus they GAMEPROOF pointed out how cyclops almost disappeared, which wouldn't happen if he was from another universe. They are just retconing shit.

Sandfox

Didn't

The one in ANXM was modified and we've known for a long time that there were issues with them returning.

Oh damn, you guys totally missed the boat on the perfect retcon
Cyclops vanishing was just Emma projecting duuuuh foreshadowing her villainous turn!

Star Wars OHC Vol. 1 down. That was great fun. I really enjoyed it. And MAN, I just love Stuart Immonen's art. He never lets me down.

Now onto Darth Vader OHC Vol. 1.

It's a shame he had such a short stint on the book. The Nar Shaddaa arc is still one of the best. Hopefully he returns at some point.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

I really wish they'd add this to MU.

Martian Manhunter
Midnighter
Omega Men
Prez
We Are Robin

Of what I read I thought all of those were great.

Also Superman: American Alien, wasn't that around that same timeframe? That would probably be my favorite thing from DCYou after Omega Men.

Nice to see some DCYou appreciation around here. The mainline books were pretty mediocre for a while there, and of course sales were DREADFUL, but there was a lot of really great stuff getting put out in that period.

Nice to see some DCYou appreciation around here. The mainline books were pretty mediocre for a while there, and of course sales were DREADFUL, but there was a lot of really great stuff getting put out in that period.

Yeah, the mainline books were pretty dreadful there for a while, especially Detective.

I do remember one great storyline in Batman/Superman done by Tom Taylor that was just a small 3 story arc but it was great and probably the best mainline thing put out during that time outside of Justice League.

It's what makes me want Taylor on Justice League.

I got my East of West Year One hardcover today. Year Two should be shipping really soon. Yay. :D

Yayyyy. I end up leaving EoW so long to catch up on I've contemplated switching to the HCs, pretty much read it yearly anyway, but it's like Monkey was saying the other day, there's no excitement in buying stuff you already have. Too much hassle. Those HCs do look nice though!

Oh yea mean to write about this but the black Monday murders totally breaks the general trade dress Hickman has been using since the nightly news. It looks weiiird.

Is that like a joke?
What the fuck?

It's the greatest.

PPB1Wbm.png

ElNarez

Banned
maybe if Marvel wants to make a show of goodwill towards X-Men fans they shouldn't have made X-Men Prime because that whole book is junk

shingi70

Banned
DC Comics rumors from 4chan probably tales from Someones ass but who knows

>Dark Days and Snyder's Metal event will bring in characters from the multiverse and past timelines
>story is that there's a rift in time, and alternate (and evil) versions of characters will try to take over prime earth for themselves
>big status quo changes coming
>characters from other universes that will remain on prime earth: power girl, a bunch of speedsters, mar'i grayson, lady blackhawk, and (yes, for real) superboy prime
>in september, every book will have a special one-shot that transitions the timeline one year forward

new books (not all have creative teams yet):
>Justice Society - with Power Girl, Alan Scott, Jay Garrick, Johnny Thunder, Red Tornado, Dan Abnett will be writing
>Legion, written by James Tynion
>Speed Force - yes, a Wally book, with Jesse Quick, Max Mercury, and Impulse (Bart Allen from another timeline), written and drawn by Brett Booth
>Outsiders - led by Red Robin, will feature other characters freed from Oz's prison
>World's Finest - team-up book with a different Batfamily and Superfamily character every month, written by Tim Seeley
>Shazam/Cyborg - team-up written by John Semper, Cyborg solo will be canceled
>Checkmate, written by Tom King

major changes/storylines:

>Detective Comics roster will see Batman, Batwoman, Azrael, and Batwing return. New members will be Duke, Harper, and Anarky (!). Clayface will have retired during the timeskip
>Nightwing will be recruited by Spyral to search for Mar'i Grayson
>Burnside Batgirl is over, Rebirth sales were poor. Barbara will go back to being Oracle, she'll have a heroic sacrifice in Metal and be back in the wheelchair, both Batgirl books will be canceled and relaunched
>Batgirls, with Barbara (as Oracle) mentoring both Stephanie and Cassandra as new Batgirls, written by Genevieve Valentine
>Birds of Prey, with Oracle, Canary, Huntress, and Zinda, same writers as before
>Red Hood, Artemis, and Bizarro will split up, and the latter two will return to Wonder Woman and Action Comics, respectively. Red Hood will be relaunched as a solo series, Lobdell still writing

>Green Lanterns will go monthly, same team
>Hal Jordan and the GLC will relaunch as just Green Lantern Corps, with Hal leading
>Kyle is dead, having sacrificed himself during Metal
>new monthly Yellow Lanterns will feature John Stewart and Soranik, Cullen Bunn is writing

>Superwoman will be canceled
>Superboy Prime will be featured in Superman, and Clark will try to redeem him
>Martian Manhunter will be the leader of JLA. Dark Days will reveal that the "Batman" leading the team is actually J'onn in disguise

>Blue Beetle is cancelled, will join Teen Titans
>Cheshire will return in Titans to torment Roy Harper
>In Deathstroke, Slade Wilson has disappeared, Rose will take up the Deathstroke mantle and try to find him

Top Bottom