• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

mreddie

i was trying to seriously help you at the same time but i failed, i can't remember where the bookcase i like is from. Ikea makes nice ones which is what some people use, try to get one with shelves that are cubed/have support down the middle so that they don't bow under the weight. I use separate ones for oversized and regular, Closetmaid cubeical bookcases are nice for regular comics, i like mine a lot and have two 3x3 sets stacked on top of each other while i stand under them in case they fall so my statues aren't damaged.

i would also ask that you think about my first post about this again.

Since I'm mainly digital these days, the only comics I get are the hardcovers or OGNs. Everything else is the statues, Infinity figs and LEGOs. My BluRay case is already getting full.

and...

U R

new-day-garbage.jpeg

VanWinkle

I think it tied into War of Kings, which was a great event that really should be read anyway. If I recall, it was the entire second half of the series that was a tie-in.

Here's what it says it includes:

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (2008) 1-25; THANOS IMPERATIVE: IGNITION 1, 1-6, DEVASTATION 1; MATERIAL FROM ANNIHILATORS 1-4; MATERIAL FROM ANNIHILATORS: EARTHFALL 1-4

Do you think those extra issues would be the necessary issues for everything to make sense?

To Vanwrinkle
Backstory: started collecting HCs in 2012 but didn't get serious about it till 2014. I got 9 books coming in though XD

Very nice. Some good stuff there!

Messi

Felix Comic Art got Burnham, art goes on sale tomorrow. Nameless will be on sale.

In other news, CHRIS BURNHAM's original art goes on sale tomorrow, Tuesday May 3rd, at 12PM PDT! Included are pieces from his various Batman projects, Judge Dredd art, Marvel covers, and complete issues of perhaps his most eye-popping project, NAMELESS!

Messi

i was trying to seriously help you at the same time but i failed, i can't remember where the bookcase i like is from. Ikea makes nice ones which is what some people use, try to get one with shelves that are cubed/have support down the middle so that they don't bow under the weight. I use separate ones for oversized and regular, Closetmaid cubeical bookcases are nice for regular comics, i like mine a lot and have two 3x3 sets stacked on top of each other while i stand under them in case they fall so my statues aren't damaged.

i would also ask that you think about my first post about this again.

Those are some lovely shelves but whats with all the dodgy paint on the statues??

Owzers

Those are some lovely shelves but whats with all the dodgy paint on the statues??

actually the sides of bookcase have a couple scratches in them and i was thinking about painting them. And that Harley statue was returned....and Batwoman still bugs me every day. Eventually i'm just going to throw all my statues into the fireplace and listen to Taylor Swift's "Blank Space" as they burn.

Calcium

Banned
actually the sides of bookcase have a couple scratches in them and i was thinking about painting them. And that Harley statue was returned....and Batwoman still bugs me every day. Eventually i'm just going to throw all my statues into the fireplace and listen to Taylor Swift's "Blank Space" as they burn.

Throw that Wii U in the fireplace too.

Overwatch beta isn't letting me in. Damn you, Blizzard.

Owzers

I have more faith in the thunder tonight than raw not being awful. There is no embarrassment in what's on display, it's like watching the rockets playoffs all over again.

Went to a Half-Priced Books today and picked up a hardcover of Neil Gaiman's Eternals, which is basically Marvel's New Gods. From what I've seen. Also, no one told me that Doop and Penguin got solo series (Marvel NOW! and New 52, respectively).
I'll buy it. Speaking of Scooby, I've been watching Mystery Incorporated. That's just a good show.
Maann, looks so good. Get on this, Samnee.

samneenightwing.png
Oh god I NEED it.
Jack Bauer

Dick Grayson.

Red Reddington
All of these are true
This was never going to happen. Even if they implied it.
I still kind of want it to happen. Maybe her book will stop being boring, because it's wearing on me.
Moon Knight #1 by Jeff L. was good, but....I dunno man they really need to stop fucking wither Mercer's head jeez.

For that matter where my reprint of Vengeance of the Moon Knight, Marvel?
Marvel is ass at reprinting.
Bengals been busy promoting Overwatch on his twitter:

Er8unJ3.jpg

These tweets break my heart though:

u5ZtbiJ.png

Bengal no, not like this.
What did we do now?
While we're on this topic, do you guys shave your ear hair or just let that shit go
I let it go. It's peach fuzz. Barely noticeable. Or do you mean inner ear hair? Because I ain't got that shit yet.
Here's a Miss America by Rocafort to cheer you up:

Cq7qMcW.jpg
God I love her design so much. Then again, I just think hoodies are dope.
Browsing on other comicbook forums and discovered this handmade bookshelf. Hory shit.

I could fit my whole entire comic collection less than 2 of those shelves

file.php
I need that.
Gee, I wonder why She Hulk isn't there...
No Medusa! Not like this! Although her stance does make sense.
Are they sending her to space? World War She-Hulk coming soon?
I'd buy it.

Gamora? Or Maybe Nebula?
Emma Frost
I am currently reading those so I don't pay attention to the order I put them back in.
Monster. Order is important at all times. ALL TIMES!

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
What are you talking about? This is the first game with anything drastically futuristic (also I haven't played a CoD game in like three years). I'd like a little Halo in my CoD.

The last two were more than futuristic for my tastes. I'd like to see them go back to Vietnam.

All this is moot anyway since this is an infinity Ward year and I would touch anything they make with a 10 foot pole anymore.

Maybe by the time it's Treyarch's turn again they'll be ready to do another one set in the past.

Call of Duty was never the same after the first MW. 2 is still my favourite, both in terms of campaign and multi. The joint best D-Day level in games (along with MOH Allied Assault) and I love the WW2 rifles as a multiplayer game. Plus, 64 player Stalingrad and Carentan, along with St. Mere Eglise for CTF. If I wasn't playing Counter Strike or WoW back then, I was playing Call of Duty 2. Or I was asleep.

Overwatch is gooooood. I'm so pleased with it right now. Gonna make the most of the next few days because I have my nephew's holy communion at the weekend so I'll fit in what I can. Enjoyed playing with Lunchbox and Zombine tho. We bridged the gap between worlds (or at least continents)!

Owzers

Hawks can't score 5 on 4, they are terrible and i don't regret watching wrestling over them most of the time despite it being wrestling.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Any recommendations for a good iOS comic reader? Comics Zeal, iComics, etc?

Comic Zeal is pretty great. Good reading, I like they way they handle double page spreads, and probably the best organizing system I've seen across all mobile apps.

I wish Comixology adopted some of their stuff.

TheFlow

Banned
I am going to read all of hellboy this week so I started with volume 1(library edition)

I think hands down this is the greatest hc collection ever for the price. The pages are poster board thick, art is vibrant, and the page count is just right.

Just browsing through it is enough to put you in awe. I can't think of anything that surpasses this.

Going from this to a regular hc collection is night and day

Secret Invasion: Inhumans

Honestly, this one is going to be pretty short in comparison to my earlier reviews. This was a fairly short mini-series, only being six issues long. It's pretty self-explanatory as to what it's about: After the events of New Avengers: Illuminati, Black Bolt, as well as a lot of other Inhumans, are revealed to be Skrulls. The Skrulls, in fact, have the real Black Bolt captured and are planning to use him as a weapon. Keep in mind that this follows closely on the heels of Silent War, which means everyone is under the mind-control of Maximus, save for Luna and Black Bolt (and possibly Ahura), who is imprisoned.

Too bad this retcons some of that. Essentially, it states that somehow, during an excursion to meet the Illuminati, Black Bolt was kidnapped and replaced. It's revealed that this replacement happened before World War Hulk, yet after Silent War, since the Skrull torturing Black Bolt states that he was the one to lose the crown, and not the replacement. This is incredibly bothersome, because this is the second major gap in Inhuman continuity, the first being between Young Inhumans and Fantastic Four/Inhumans, in which the Inhumans are back on the moon. This is getting fucking ridiculous, not to mention the fact that they conveniently forget about Luna, Ahura, Dewoz, and the exchange students whenever they damn well please. The exchange students and Dewoz I can forgive, but Luna and Ahura are major pieces of the Royal Family, being the daughter and son (respectively) of Crystal/Quicksilver and Black Bolt/Medusa (again, respectively).

Anyway, the story begins with Medusa and Crystal retrieving the Skrull Black Bolt's corpse from SHIELD, threatening Tony Stark's life in the process. At this point, it seems Maximus has relieved his mind control, though that must have occurred earlier given the fact that Black Bolt was apparently allowed to leave, which allowed him to get captured. Anyways, Maximus is still king, and he presents the solution of scanning every Inhuman for Skrull DNA. This isn't a bad plan, though everyone seemingly objects. Eventually the Skrulls reveal themselves, which causes the book to turn into the Inhumans, specifically the Royal Family, beating the absolute shit out the Skrull. It's godlike.

Eventually, Medusa and Maximus torture some Skrull and glean that the Skrull are keeping Black Bolt and that it's been planned to turn him into a weapon. Medusa enacts a plan to make a deal with Ronan, being that their mutual enemies are the Skrull. An alliance is made that the Inhumans may use the Kree resources, in exchange for Crystal's hand in marriage to Black Bolt. Karnak then detects the weak points in the Skrull's, uh, systems, and creates a plan of attack: Medusa and Crystal invade Thundra's camp, being the most "human" of the Inhumans; Triton goes to an all water planet, which is full of the race he's based off of, though he's way stronger than all of them. Karnak and Gorgon infiltrate a planet of robot people. After getting what they need from their respective locations, they go to the Skrull ship and fuck everything up. Oh, at some point the Skrull kindnap Ahura, who helps Black Bolt escape. After returning to Earth, the Royal Family announces that Black Bolt will be co-kings with Maximus (who apparently rescinds that title in War of Kings), and lead a charge against the remaining Skrull forces along with Ronan.

So, this is pretty solid story. It has a lot of action, and some solid character development. Medusa takes charge for the first time and learns the burden of rulership; Maximus is revealed to not be all that crazy; Crystal finally takes a more proactive stance within the family; Karnak is...Karnak; Gorgon is...Gorgon; Triton deals with an inferiority complex. There's some legitimate character arcs, but most of it takes a back seat to the plot. Some other cool stuff within the story are the heavy references to the events of FF/Inhumans, as well as each issue beginning with a narration over a stained glass window that depicts Inhuman history. The art is solid, having been penciled by Tom Raney, inked by Scott Hanna, and colored by Guru Efx (I'm pretty sure it's a company, but I have no fucking clue, so I'm writing it as a name). It's nothing that's particularly memorable, but it does a good job of depicting action scenes, delivering a good sense of motion and impace whilst being vibrant and colorful, so the reader never gets lost.

Joe Pokaski is a decent writer, with good dialogue and pacing. He does a good job of using what I assume was a very limited timeframe from Marvel editorial. He makes sure to make references and connections to previous stories in order to give a sense of continuity, although I assume he couldn't spend too much time on it. Hell, the gap between Silent War, Illuminati, WWHulk, and Secret Invasion is explained by the Skrull scientist torturing Black Bolt as, "We gotcha. Fuck if we know what you did before that. Or what our replacement did, aside from losing to Hulk and banging your wife. We do know about the Silent War and Illuminati meetings, though. Take that L, son." It's weird, but I feel Pokaski did what he could. Some things don't seem to carry over to War of Kings, though, such as Gorgon's secondary mutation. Also, Ahura's primary mutation is mind-control/limited telepathy akin to Maximus. Later during the more recent Uncanny Inhumans run that's ongoing now, his mutation is revealed to be the ability to create "soul duplicates" which can possess people. Dunno how that works, but whatever.

Regardless, I'd say this is a solid story. Even if you're not interested in the Inhumans as a whole, I'd recommend it to those looking for a good action story. It has hype moments and good action, with strong plotting. And hell, it may even pull your interest to this unique and horridly underutilized section of the MU.

JTripper

Gotham Central omnibus will be mine on Wednesday. Looking forward to reading that.

I've been waiting on my local shop to receive Y The Last Man Vol 2 HC and Daredevil End of Days since December but they still haven't gotten them. I think it's time I just buy them from Barnes or something since they've delayed my Y reading long enough.

Top Bottom