• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2015. The much-anticipated sequel to October's OT.

Messi

51ouXd7bt4L._SL1500_.jpg

Can't wait for this. All of Lemire's GA run. Amazon says it's coming in January, but I don't know if that's the real date or not. Still, very excited.

It was solicited a while back. Hype

Boogiepop

I read Amazing Spider-Man #50 last night. Wow.

I forget, is that far enough to have hit the "master planner" or whatever it was arc
where it ended up being Doc Ock IIRC
? As I recall, back when I read some of the essentials that was the first bit that I was like "yeah, I legitimately enjoyed reading that, moreso than just from a historical perspective". As for the other vintage stuff I've read, I recall the first Silver Surfer Essential being legitimately great, which caught me off guard when I read it...

Owzers

Who here is buying Switch monthly? Anyone? *silence* Not a single person?

this football season seems awful, so many trash games are on tv, tonight's MNF is the bears vs. chargers. Yeahhhhhh not worth it.

I'll watch WWE Raw instead and read a comic.

Just so yall know, I bought some comics from Foofaraw and they came in perfect condition. They were wrapped like a baby still in the womb. A++ would buy again
"Bendis speak" isn't a Bendis thing. It's his David Mamet influence coming through.

If you aren't familiar with Mamet, this parody is a great exaggeration of his style:

http://youtu.be/qpb6zCeM4uY
Did not know this.

I enjoy this particular style of dialogue a lot. The approach works for me. Love Bendis <3

Darkseid War preview for Shazam by Orlando and Kolins. One day there will be a Shazam monthly book, one day...

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/11/09/preview-monday-justice-league-darkseid-war-shazam-1

Looks interesting. I wish the darkseid war spinoffs weren't one shots, I think there's a lot of interesting concepts they can explore further over a few issues.

Speaking of Shazam, are there any good Shazam books/storylines? Seems to be that character that has a ton of mythology and cool stuff, but no one knows how to make it work or what to do with it.

I thought John's JSA had a bunch of cool moments with Billy. Monster Society of Evil is pretty good, First Thunder is nice but short, Power of Hope by Dini/Ross is really really good but it's a non traditional super hero story. New 52 Shazam Vol 1 is great too. Other than that he's just been a major player in the DCU that pops up in events and JL once in awhile before Flashpoint.

Oh power of shazam for me was mostly mediocre. There were a few stand out issues but it didn't really take the character any place new, mostly retreading old stories. The Mr. Mind stuff is good. It's not really collected. I'd say check out the stand alone.

Everyone should read Clean Room #1. Didn't see much talk of it here, but I think it'd play well with the folks that were into Vision and Monstress. I can't wait for #2.

I LOVED Clean Room #1. More than Vision or Monstress, even. Out of the 3, it's the only one going on my pull list. Intriguing. Great art. All the love.

Owzers

I watched Inside Out with my nephew, he had a hard time understanding what was going on and i thought it lagged a lot after
joy and sadness got tubed

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
A couple of issues into Strange Girl and I'm enjoying Remender's more lighthearted side. I wish he'd do more books like this.

I thought John's JSA had a bunch of cool moments with Billy. Monster Society of Evil is pretty good, First Thunder is nice but short, Power of Hope by Dini/Ross is really really good but it's a non traditional super hero story. New 52 Shazam Vol 1 is great too. Other than that he's just been a major player in the DCU that pops up in events and JL once in awhile before Flashpoint.

Oh power of shazam for me was mostly mediocre. There were a few stand out issues but it didn't really take the character any place new, mostly retreading old stories. The Mr. Mind stuff is good. It's not really collected. I'd say check out the stand alone.
Liking the recommendations. I'll be sure to check these out

Probably XXX.
haha ANAD Marvel soliciting books w/o artists...

lets see if theres been one announced

flickering myth said:
Eisner Award winning writer James Robinson is joined by a rotating crew of some of the industry&#8217;s hottest creators including Vanesa Del Rey, Marco Rudy, Steve Dillon, Javier Pulido, Marguerite Sauvage, Annie Wu, Tula Lotay, Joelle Jones, Chris Visions and more to chronicle the ongoing adventures of Wanda Maximoff!
woah woah hold up a sec

VDR, Rudy, Pulido, Sauvage, Wu, Lotay *and* Joelle Jones

whaat

a couple of those panels arent so hot in the preview but LDR was probably rushed. Her Zero issues was one of my faves
they were all my faves

dillon? whyyyy. i dont want frank faced witch

Messi

Absolutely adore Storms new costume in Extraordinary X-Men. It's just lovely, I also love how Ramos draws her. Might be the first mowhawk storm that I like.

Magiks costume is cool too. Love that they continued her story from the end of Uncanny just minus Kitty for obvious reasons.
Kitty is an asshole

Foofaraw

Who here is buying Switch monthly? Anyone? *silence* Not a single person?/QUOTE]

Still debating issue 2. Liked Issue 1. Sejic is cool.

"Bendis speak" isn't a Bendis thing. It's his David Mamet influence coming through.

I thought of West Wing when I read it. Mamet has his own tvtropes page for this, and Bendis is the only comic author on the list. Still not a fan of the style, especially in comics.

Absolutely adore Storms new costume in Extraordinary X-Men. It's just lovely, I also love how Ramos draws her. Might be the first mowhawk storm that I like.

oiQWiCp.jpg

Murlock Storm is so good, and from a time when I loved Storm as a character.

VanWinkle

I was looking through the Amazon listings for the Justice League N52 volumes (I have vol 1, planning on getting the rest soon), and I just noticed Jim Lee was only doing the art in the first two volumes, at which point they switched to Ivan Reis. That makes me kind of sad, as Lee is one of my favorites. I'm not really too familiar with Reis. Do you guys feel like that switch made the series any worse, or does Reis do an equally good job?

frye

I was looking through the Amazon listings for the Justice League N52 volumes (I have vol 1, planning on getting the rest soon), and I just noticed Jim Lee was only doing the art in the first two volumes, at which point they switched to Ivan Reis. That makes me kind of sad, as Lee is one of my favorites. I'm not really too familiar with Reis. Do you guys feel like that switch made the series any worse, or does Reis do an equally good job?

Reis is a stronger artist than Lee, especially the flabby ass "no really guys I can totally hold a monthly schedule" Lee on Justice League

He works in the tradition of Lee anyways so it's an easy transition

Foofaraw

Reis is pretty great. It is the pinnacle of DC house style, to me. Everything looks like a superhero comic should. Since you are asking about Reis, read Johns run of Aquaman with him. It is very good, I'd say a lot better than the Nu52 Justice League.

Also, if you want your books in good condition, check out instocktrades.com. They frequently have DC and marvel trades 45% off, and they pack the books reasonably, and don't just throw it in a large box, and then down a flight of stairs.

Top Bottom