• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2015. The much-anticipated sequel to October's OT.

Does Tim Drake have a modern standalone series? I know he had the 90's Robin series, but I mean more recent.

There was the Red Robin ongoing before the New 52. Didn't read any of it though.

New-52 it's really only been Teen Titans. First run was Lobdell-tier and the current one is okay-ish and it's getting Lobdell'd again so I don't think I'd recommend it.

edit: While I'm at the top of the page (50PPP), I'd figure I'd ask. Anyone got any good suggestions for highlights for the independent comics section in next month's OT? I'm good on every category but here. I got two Valiant books and nothing else so far.

VanWinkle

There was the Red Robin ongoing before the New 52. Didn't read any of it though.

New-52 it's really only been Teen Titans. First run was Lobdell-tier and the current one is okay-ish and it's getting Lobdell'd again so I don't think I'd recommend it.

Ah that's unfortunate. I've always liked him. And I see that all of the collected editions of Red Robin are OOP, so...yeah. I could buy the singles on Comixology but at $2 an issue, I doubt I'll do it.

edit: While I'm at the top of the page (50PPP), I'd figure I'd ask. Anyone got any good suggestions for highlights for the independent comics section in next month's OT? I'm good on every category but here. I got two Valiant books and nothing else so far.
Rachel Rising

Foofaraw

Does Tim Drake have a modern standalone series? I know he had the 90's Robin series, but I mean more recent.

There was a Red Robin series that ran for 26 issues, and started in 2009. If you mean Nu52, not to my knowledge.

Edit: I thought it was a fun read, but my taste in comics was less discerning when I read it.

VanWinkle

There was a Red Robin series that ran for 26 issues, and started in 2009. If you mean Nu52, not to my knowledge.

Edit: I thought it was a fun read, but my taste in comics was less discerning when I read it.

I see on Comixology that there are a bunch of ~4 issue story arcs, so maybe I'll just buy the first arc and see how I like it.

Trinity War was actually pretty good, I liked it more than Forever Evil and that wasn't bad either.
I thought it was terrible. A lot of people angry and fighting each other. A lot of it was for stupid reasons, too. At least it got me to check out Justice League Dark, which was good for Lemire's run.
I actually like what I've read of N52 Nightwing personally. Not as much as the original series, but I think it's good.
It's honestly mediocrity incarnate. The Circus and Amusement Mile arcs had a lot of promise, but no real substance. They felt shallow and by-the-numbers. Like "Here's an arc. It's still going. Now it is completed." By removing Bludhaven from Dick's mythos, it kills a lot of character development and also removes his own rogues gallery. When he goes to Chicago, it's basically a rehash of Bludhaven, but with half-baked arcs that never go anywhere.

I mean, at least the action was good until the artist change, which funnily enough occurred when the book went to Chicago.
I think I read the first volume of More Than Meets The Eye and then went back and read Wreckers, but yeah you're doing it the right way.

No joke, MTMTE is one of the best ongoing series out there right now.
TLSotW was amazing. I loved it. Very much looking forward to future books.
Still reading through Bendis X-men. Just finished ANXM 8 and Uncanny 2. I do like the stay together for the kids thing going on, but it is the least subtle allusion to a failed marriage that I've ever seen. I'm being silly for expecting any subtlety in X-men.

Things I'm having a hard time getting over:

Everyone being mean to young Scott because Cyclops killed Xavier.

Kitty being the only person that is even a little concerned that Jean is going off the deep end with her powers. Also, no one being mean to Jean when her "older" self has literally destroyed planets full of sentient life when under the effects of the same force that Scott was under.

Bednis speak. Bendis speak, you say? Yup, Bendis speak. Ok.

I feel like I should have read AvX. I know most of this book came out of the event, but it was such a slog to read any of it. That event actually got me into buying comics, but I only bought the first 5 issues before noping right out of it. It did teach me some valuable lessons: Event comics are garbage, and the comic book store has worthwhile books.

I think a lot of how the O5 get treated is understandable, and how the O5 react to everything as well. A lot of the Jean stuff is cleared up during The Trial of Jean Grey (which is great).

I still have no idea what "Bendis speak" is. A lot of comic writers have awkward or bad dialogue. Don't see how Bendis is any different. Sometimes his dialogue is awkward, yeah, but he also has moments where his dialogue is good.

Foofaraw

I think a lot of how the O5 get treated is understandable, and how the O5 react to everything as well. A lot of the Jean stuff is cleared up during The Trial of Jean Grey (which is great).

I still have no idea what "Bendis speak" is. A lot of comic writers have awkward or bad dialogue. Don't see how Bendis is any different. Sometimes his dialogue is awkward, yeah, but he also has moments where his dialogue is good.

HAdvwps.jpg

He does this kind of thing a lot. Very short bubbles, basically repeating the same thing. He uses this type of dialogue quite a bit, and it is a big reason I've avoided his work lately.

Granted, I'm early in his run, but the O5 react in ways that my idealized silver age versions of themselves would. The sliding time scale makes it super weird that they seem to have come from the 60's, but it is super fun. It is a lot of the other character's reaction to the O5 that I like less, but X-Men is a soap opera. The more I accept that, the better. Needs more oddly written Claremont accents.

Squire

Banned
HAdvwps.jpg

He does this kind of thing a lot. Very short bubbles, basically repeating the same thing. He uses this type of dialogue quite a bit, and it is a big reason I've avoided his work lately.

Granted, I'm early in his run, but the O5 react in ways that my idealized silver age versions of themselves would. The sliding time scale makes it super weird that they seem to have come from the 60's, but it is super fun. It is a lot of the other character's reaction to the O5 that I like less, but X-Men is a soap opera. The more I accept that, the better. Needs more oddly written Claremont accents.

I've noticed this a good bit in Aloas. Feels like Bendis stalling until he can come up with more good likes. I get characters being incredulous, but it's a little much. It's just so stilted. Probably the biggest thing keeping him from writing in film/TV. It just wouldn't fly.

for real? lmao rip titans

for indie comix, new Image western Black Jack Ketchum drops in December, which i'm hyped for, and The Fade Out ends, which i know a lot of people read

Tizoc

Nope. Going by a reading order that Tizoc (I think) posted.

It was pretty sick

Glad you enjoyed it, if you got the hardcover consider reading the additional short stories at the end of the book, since they add a few more details to later characters that James Roberts introduce.
I want to stress, a bit, that if you like reading you'll enjoy the book more, there's a lot of pathos in there.

Gonna be picking up my copy of Chaos Theory later today, still bummed the 2 parter is put in this book when they could've made a TPB (looking at you Dark Prelude!) that had all the one shots he wrote outside of MTMTE.

Thing is Bendis' way of repeating certain lines is generally seen in his books. if you want to use the term 'Morrison speak' that's fine I for one won't hold it against you.

Funnily enough I can think of one or two writers that use the 'repeats the same line two or four times' thing but they do it in a way that isn't pointless like how Bendis does.

EDIT: I should add, Dark Cybertron story arc is seen as the weakest story in the lot, at the very least Roberts' writing is entertaining and we get to see his trademark characerization when it's his part of the story (being Rodimus and his crew).

Sandfox

Beast never did explain exactly what mutant genocide Cyclops was supposed to be responsible for.

It was Beast being Beast. In Uncanny 600
past Beast calls him out on lying in order to get them to the future and he tries to spin it by saying that bringing them to present prevented it from happening.

for indie comix, new Image western Black Jack Ketchum drops in December, which i'm hyped for, and The Fade Out ends, which i know a lot of people read

These are good suggestions but they'd fall into the Image section of the OT. The independant section is for stuff that's not Marvel, DC, IDW, Image or Dark Horse. The really little guys like Dynamite and Boom.

Welp, I'll be the one person who read Monstress #1 and will not be continuing the series. It's certainly well done. And that is indeed one cute
fox
. But
cannibal witches and monster ghosts and robots or cyborgs or whatever aracanics are and mysterious masks
... Yeah, it's just not for me. I can usually recognize pure fantasy material by my pure lack of interest in it. It is most certainly a quality comic though and I am pleased y'all are enjoying it.

for real? lmao rip titans

Yeah he's coming back for co-writing duties or something. Poor Teen Titans fans lol

And I actually had those already for my Image list! Great minds think alike. La Maquinon hit the nail on the head with what I meant.

HAdvwps.jpg

I've noticed this a good bit in Aloas. Feels like Bendis stalling until he can come up with more good likes. I get characters being incredulous, but it's a little much. It's just so stilted. Probably the biggest thing keeping him from writing in film/TV. It just wouldn't fly.

Glad you enjoyed it, if you got the hardcover consider reading the additional short stories at the end of the book, since they add a few more details to later characters that James Roberts introduce.
I want to stress, a bit, that if you like reading you'll enjoy the book more, there's a lot of pathos in there.

Gonna be picking up my copy of Chaos Theory later today, still bummed the 2 parter is put in this book when they could've made a TPB (looking at you Dark Prelude!) that had all the one shots he wrote outside of MTMTE.

Thing is Bendis' way of repeating certain lines is generally seen in his books. if you want to use the term 'Morrison speak' that's fine I for one won't hold it against you.

Funnily enough I can think of one or two writers that use the 'repeats the same line two or four times' thing but they do it in a way that isn't pointless like how Bendis does.

EDIT: I should add, Dark Cybertron story arc is seen as the weakest story in the lot, at the very least Roberts' writing is entertaining and we get to see his trademark characerization when it's his part of the story (being Rodimus and his crew).
I gotcha. Yeah I suppose he really is one of the only people who does it. I have noticed it, but for the most part it doesn't bother me. Though it did occasionally in Alias.
Beast never did explain exactly what mutant genocide Cyclops was supposed to be responsible for.

Basically, Cyclops' new revolutionary methods were going to cause a mutant war, which would cause mutant genocide due to not only in-fighting from mutants, but also that outsiders would attack mutants more aggressively. This would all result in a lot of mutant deaths.

Problem is that it never happened. You could argue that simply the act of bringing the O5 to the present itself prevented it, but since the O5 barely spend any actual time around Scott, I doubt it. Just something Beast
used to feel better about his garbage-ass actions

I mean, Kitty basically won't let Scott spend time around Jean, and young Scott eventually just goes off into space with Corsair and leaves the group. Warren spends most of his time off in other places with X-23, and nobody likes Bobby. Young Hank spends all of his time messing with gadgets and formulas.

Really, they didn't do much. Jean spent more time with Emma than Scott. In fact, Scott barely seems to really care about the O5, since he's off doing his own shit and training a whole new group of mutants.

Messi

The Sejic's cat died during surgery to remove a lump today :(

Sounds like they got fucked over by a crap vet early on much like happened when my cat died.

Speaking of Shazam, are there any good Shazam books/storylines? Seems to be that character that has a ton of mythology and cool stuff, but no one knows how to make it work or what to do with it.

I only read a few issues but The Power of Shazam was good. I really enjoyed Thunderworld as well.

I've heard Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil is good but I haven't read it.

Speaking of Shazam, are there any good Shazam books/storylines? Seems to be that character that has a ton of mythology and cool stuff, but no one knows how to make it work or what to do with it.

Geoff Johns's New 52 Shazam is good. I've also heard good things about Jeff Smith's Shazam: The Monster Society of Evil, but like Tyrant, I've never read it myself.

VanWinkle

Seems like the Geoff Johns Aquaman Deluxe is canceled in favor of a Aquaman Omnibus.

Hmm. I mean, in a way that's good in that it will now cover his whole run instead of just 3/4ths, but it will also probably be $100 list price instead of the $50 the deluxe would have been. So I don't like that

Who knows, maybe they'll make it $75 since it isn't a HUGE run.

Where did you hear this?

These are good suggestions but they'd fall into the Image section of the OT. The independant section is for stuff that's not Marvel, DC, IDW, Image or Dark Horse. The really little guys like Dynamite and Boom.
Yeah he's coming back for co-writing duties or something. Poor Teen Titans fans lol

And I actually had those already for my Image list! Great minds think alike. La Maquinon hit the nail on the head with what I meant.

ahhhhh, that's right, i forgot

if you're doing Boom! i assume ya already got The Spire

tim1138

Oh yeah, check out oh-

I only read a few issues but The Power of Shazam was good. I really enjoyed Thunderworld as well.

Or, ah-

Geoff Johns's New 52 Shazam is good. I've also heard good things about Jeff Smith's Shazam: The Monster Society of Evil, but like Tyrant, I've never read it myself.

Monster Society of Evil is great, as was Parker/Shaner Convergence Shazam

Mindwipe

Quite a few of us liked Giant Days, is an issue of that shipping next month?

Isnt it good?

Yeah, I was disappointed it was over! It was well written and well drawn, the faces are getting more and more detail in their expressions with nearly every issue now. JJJ was ramped up to another level when it came to his hatred for Spider-man too, it was so well put across.

Oh yeah, check out oh-

Or, ah-

Monster Society of Evil is great, as was Parker/Shaner Convergence Shazam
I'll keep these in mind.
I can make it work.

I believe

Yeah, I was disappointed it was over! It was well written and well drawn, the faces are getting more and more detail in their expressions with nearly every issue now. JJJ was ramped up to another level when it came to his hatred for Spider-man too, it was so well put across.

Classic Spider-Man stories have aged pretty well. I remember reading them at first and being surprised that it felt legit good and not just good for its time.

VanWinkle

51ouXd7bt4L._SL1500_.jpg

Can't wait for this. All of Lemire's GA run. Amazon says it's coming in January, but I don't know if that's the real date or not. Still, very excited.

Top Bottom