• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2015. The much-anticipated sequel to October's OT.

tim1138

If only for a week, it felt good to buy a Green Lantern book again. I'd wager that in one issue King has a better grasp on Hal's character and motivations than Venditti has had in his entire run to date

El Topo

I appreciate the art and the reason why they had to do it, hell the stories have had some nice character development but the lack of forward movement is killing it. plus with how the last mckelvie issue ended it left a bad taste in my mouth. Made worse by this arc.

I wouldn't mind the lack of forward movement if the internal plot developed, but I don't think there's been much character development actually. We get insight into some characters via flashbacks, but we don't witness the characters develop much. As interesting as insight into these characters is, they're not doing anything with it. They give us the backstories to these characters, but don't explore them.

For those that have quit WicDiv after the second volume, i.e. issue #11, the following basically sums up the plot since then:
Morrigan gets captured. Ananke kills Tara, who wants to die anyway, then burns her suicide letter. She later tells the gods that there might be a demon.

So I was reading The Black Hood #6,, and genuinely started to get upset about the art! at least compared to what I had for the first 5 issues.. went to drop the book and noticed its just a 2 issue fill in till #9,,

IL8Ssj6.jpg

Mindwipe

I wouldn't mind the lack of forward movement if the internal plot developed, but I don't think there's been much character development actually. We get insight into some characters via flashbacks, but we don't witness the characters develop much. As interesting as insight into these characters is, they're not doing anything with it. They give us the backstories to these characters, but don't explore them.

I've been buying it and not reading it since then. I suspect it will read a bit better as a trade, so I'll go back and catch up when it starts moving forward again properly.

Bii

noooooooooo

You don't mean these things you are saying.

I might change my mind when it nears, or maybe even during open registration. I was just looking at how much money I would spend on badges/hotel/etc and it may just be cheaper to buy the things I want in the aftermarket. I have been going to SDCC for the past five consecutive years and would like to go to the 'smaller' conventions here in California such as Wondercon (haven't been there since 2011) or even Anime Expo.

Though the things I would miss from not going to SDCC is meeting people (friends and professionals) and getting sketches/signatures.

So I was reading The Black Hood #6,, and genuinely started to get upset about the art! at least compared to what I had for the first 5 issues.. went to drop the book and noticed its just a 2 issue fill in till #9,,
i know Chaykin is highly respected as an artist but i dont know why. his work has never done anything for me. nvm i actively liking it

Sadist

The Walking Dead #148

Oh shit
Rick actually asking Negan for help. Oooooh snap. Negan's evil grin is epic. Wonder how he will try to overthrow Rick. Meanwhile, Alpha is still crazy.

I am having an overload,,,, So far at C2E2 (that I care for)

Mike Mignola, Grag Capullo, Francis Manapul. Chris Burnham and Venesa Del Ray so far.... Snyder has been there last 2-3 years too. EEEKKKK

Looks like I might actually get the 3 day pass

The current New 52 Flash, from what I've read, is...just kind of there. I don't think it's bad, but I don't think it's good (other than the amazing art). It's inoffensive. (edit: actually, I was thinking of the Francis Manapul/Brian Buccellato's run that ran for a few years; I see now that it's run by somebody else, but I haven't looked into the new issues)

Geoff John's The Flash is fantastic, though. In fact, you're getting into it at a good time, because most of his run is being put into big trade paperbacks. The first one according to Amazon is being released December 1st, and it's 448 pages of Flash goodness. I haven't read a TON of John's Flash run, so I'm getting it day one.

I just wish they were being collected in hardcovers since the Omnibus editions have been out of print for a while.

That's cool, I've never checked out John's flash so I'll definitely be picking this up.

Curious why they never reprint any of Waid's stuff.

Bii

I haven't done one of these in a while.

Black Science #17
Godworld, Part 1 of 5

Black Science, for me, has been the weakest of Remenders' Image titles. Average at worst but still entertaining even after 16 issues. It has had its moments but story progression has fallen a bit flat ever since the first arc ended. It's more character-focused since building a world seems unmanageable when the crew is jumping from one place to another, sometimes more than once, in just a single issue. With #17, it's getting a (mostly) fresh start.

Godworld, Part 1 of 5 kicks off a new arc. I won't spoil much but having read through it, readers who have never read Black Science can safely jump on board. There is a synopsis on the first page that gives you the basic gist of what has happened in the past few story lines. With Godworld, it looks like Remender is finally settling on one setting and I'm excited to see the things that are going to go down.

I like the brief flashback of one of the main characters which gives us more background to his upbringing. It definitely paints a better picture of what he went through prior to the things he's done in the 'present'.

More so than before, the book is filled with colorful scenes. The environments had always been a bit more on the dark and glum side, and this is a nice change of pace. Scalera's art leans heavily on bold lines and deep shadows, which can deviate from the details that I would otherwise miss on the first read through. I find myself skimming the intricacies of this new world as I flip through it on my second read.

For those who have dropped Black Science or has some interest in it, pick up #17. Things are starting to ramp up (again) and I'm looking forward to the subsequent issues that will follow it. There's also an over-sized hardcover coming out on 11/25/15 for $49.99 that collects #1-16: https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/black-science-premiere-hc-the-beginners-guide-to-entropy

Tizoc

You know what?
We need more Seaguy
Seaguy%203.JPG

I can't remember if Morrison finished the series, but I really need to dive back into it again, it had some really whack stuff
seaguy_02.jpg

707312.jpg

bearded+lady.jpg

What's Seaguy about? It's a Morrison comic, going in blind would be no different than knowing what it's about. Go read that ish, Cameron Stewart's art is fantastic in it.

frye

i know Chaykin is highly respected as an artist but i dont know why.

It's from basically everything he wrote and drew between doing American Flagg and writing Twilight. Black Kiss, Blackhawk, The Shadow, Time2, etc

They're not my favourite comics in the world but the reason guys like Bendis and Fraction want him on their books is because of that era of Chaykin

Top Bottom