• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2015. The much-anticipated sequel to October's OT.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Seriously trying to get into Jessica Jones, but this series has the worst directing/cinematography/whatever of any damn show. Luke Cage is single-handedly saving this show from garbage status right now.

Hello ComicGAF! Maybe someone can help me here. I don't usually buy comics because i just don't know where to start. Only comics i own are Batman Hush, Heart of Hush, A Death in the Family, some of the Fables Deluxe editions.

Recently found out about the DC Convergence stories and was interested in buying the Nightwing/Oracle one and Supes one. My question is regarding how to best purchase these. Should i go digital? Buy it print? Will these be released down the line in a collection form (like a deluxe form or whatever it's called)?

Digital works best. There'll probably be a full collection (if it doesn't exist already), but digital > physical in any case so

Seriously trying to get into Jessica Jones, but this series has the worst directing/cinematography/whatever of any damn show. Luke Cage is single-handedly saving this show from garbage status right now.

I didn't notice anything particularly objectionable about the directing, though the line delivery was a bit stiff in spots. Cinematography is pretty weak, though. Especially considering how high the bar was set by Daredevil, not to mention stuff like Gotham.

My big issue with JJ is that watching it makes me feel sad, which is not really what I look for in my entertainment.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I didn't notice anything particularly objectionable about the directing, though the line delivery was a bit stiff in spots. Cinematography is pretty weak, though. Especially considering how high the bar was set by Daredevil, not to mention stuff like Gotham.

My big issue with JJ is that watching it makes me feel sad, which is not really what I look for in my entertainment.

I'm like 4/5 episodes deep, and it's just an ugly fucking show. None of the finesse from Daredevil comes over in the production/direction here, and any time there's any action, it's mostly clumsy and awkward and dudes being thrown into bad art hanging on walls (the first Luke/JJ bar fight being the only exception).

And yeah, the acting is stiff as hell, outside of Luke. I'm gonna get through the season, but holy fuckballs am I hoping it gets decent.

I'm like 4/5 episodes deep, and it's just an ugly fucking show. None of the finesse from Daredevil comes over in the production/direction here, and any time there's any action, it's mostly clumsy and awkward and dudes being thrown into bad art hanging on walls (the first Luke/JJ bar fight being the only exception).

And yeah, the acting is stiff as hell, outside of Luke. I'm gonna get through the season, but holy fuckballs am I hoping it gets decent.

I think one thing it does do really well is the more subtle displays of superstrength, like her confronting the twins in the apartment above hers. So it's got that going for it. Fights in general are pretty bad, though.

I think what might be influencing the overall appearance is this thing I've noticed about it where it feels like it's depressed. Or being seen through depression-vision. Like, everything's kinda flat. Which fits well with the overall tone of the show, which is depressed as hell.

JJ has one good fight scene which happens pretty early.

i kinda like how JJ's cinematography gives no fucks about swaths of screen space at points. i mean that honestly.

Hello ComicGAF! Maybe someone can help me here. I don't usually buy comics because i just don't know where to start. Only comics i own are Batman Hush, Heart of Hush, A Death in the Family, some of the Fables Deluxe editions.

Recently found out about the DC Convergence stories and was interested in buying the Nightwing/Oracle one and Supes one. My question is regarding how to best purchase these. Should i go digital? Buy it print? Will these be released down the line in a collection form (like a deluxe form or whatever it's called)?

The print collections are grouped by the era they're based on, there's Flashpoint, Zero Hour, Crisis and Infinite Earths, two books of each. Superman and Nightwing/Oracle are both included in Convergence: Flashpoint Book One along with The Question, Batgirl and Justice League.

Digital would probably be cheaper, since you'd only have four issues to buy. There could well be a sale as well with Black Friday coming up.

You see ugly. I see gritty. I mean, it is Hell's Kitchen, after all.
I disagree about the acting. I think Krysten Ritter and David Tennent are great. The other actors are passable at worst.
I don't have an opinion on the action sequences because I'm not a big fan of them in general. I watch action scenes it just wanting them to end and for the good guys to win.

I think one thing it does do really well is the more subtle displays of superstrength, like her confronting the twins in the apartment above hers. So it's got that going for it. Fights in general are pretty bad, though.

I think what might be influencing the overall appearance is this thing I've noticed about it where it feels like it's depressed. Or being seen through depression-vision. Like, everything's kinda flat. Which fits well with the overall tone of the show, which is depressed as hell.

Yeah, it's got a depressing tone, I guess, but the protagonist is bummed out. Understandably so given her circumstances. I think her sense of humour and flippant personality and the dialogue in general lifts the tone a bit. But not a lot, I guess. But, for me, the fact that JJ is so weighed down and scared and cynical works. Because despite all of that and all she has to fear, she's determined to fight this guy and stop him from hurting people. I find her determination to fight to be itself uplifting.

oni_saru

Digital works best. There'll probably be a full collection (if it doesn't exist already), but digital > physical in any case so.

The print collections are grouped by the era they're based on, there's Flashpoint, Zero Hour, Crisis and Infinite Earths, two books of each. Superman and Nightwing/Oracle are both included in Convergence: Flashpoint Book One along with The Question, Batgirl and Justice League.

Digital would probably be cheaper, since you'd only have four issues to buy. There could well be a sale as well with Black Friday coming up.

Thanks for the response you two!! Looking at the other stories included, i think i'll buy Flashpoint Book One!! They seem interesting enough.

Definitely gonna add to my BF list! Actually the print is $12.27 on Amazon. Worth it?

They are trying to mimic the look of the comic. :)

You see ugly. I see gritty. I mean, it is Hell's Kitchen, after all.
I disagree about the acting. I think Krysten Ritter and David Tennent are great. The other actors are passable at worst.
I don't have an opinion on the action sequences because I'm not a big fan of them in general. I watch action scenes it just wanting them to end and for the good guys to win.

Yeah, it's got a depressing tone, I guess, but the protagonist is bummed out. Understandably so given her circumstances. I think her sense of humour and flippant personality and the dialogue in general lifts the tone a bit. But not a lot, I guess. But, for me, the fact that JJ is so weighed down and scared and cynical works. Because despite all of that and all she has to fear, she's determined to fight this guy and stop him from hurting people. I find her determination to fight to be itself uplifting.

See, when I meant "depressing," I don't mean the way that JJ herself is depressed, because of course she is; that's not the problem. The problem is the way the entire show sort of bends around that. Like the whole thing is covered in a think blanket of misery that makes even the attempts at levity ring ultimately hollow. If that's deliberate, it's very well done, but it's simply not something that I'm interested in watching.

And Filthy is right, it's a pretty bad looking show. Gritty is... a specific kind of high-detail, visually speaking, that JJ doesn't have.

See, when I meant "depressing," I don't mean the way that JJ herself is depressed, because of course she is; that's not the problem. The problem is the way the entire show sort of bends around that. Like the whole thing is covered in a think blanket of misery that makes even the attempts at levity ring ultimately hollow. If that's deliberate, it's very well done, but it's simply not something that I'm interested in watching.

And Filthy is right, it's a pretty bad looking show. Gritty is... a specific kind of high-detail, visually speaking, that JJ doesn't have.

II knew what you mean. The point of my response was that the tone of the show is dark/depressing because she is. I can understand your criticism and why it doesn't work for you. I love the show and yet I have to take breaks between episodes because of how dark and intense it is.

Can't say much about the cinematography because I pay minimal mind to that stuff when it comes to TV. Set design, camera work, I will notice more often in movies. Most TV shows that I've seen keep that stuff simple. TV shows for most of the time they've been around have been talking heads and standing bodies. Whether it's TV or film, I jive off the feels, characters, dialogue and relationships. Whether that gets across through fancy camera work or acting.

Critisims about the technical part of the show aside, I wonder if this show is less appealing to some guys because they find it less relatable due to the protagonist being a woman. Not calling people sexist, just saying that it's typically harder to see through a characters eyes when your gender doesn't match theirs. A small example of this would be how the villian tells woman to smile. That shit burns me up because it's something I've experienced throughout my real life experience. Maybe not everyone relates to JJ like they do Daredevil or whomever.

Filthy Slug

II knew what you mean. The point of my response was that the tone of the show is dark/depressing because she is. I can understand your criticism and why it doesn't work for you. I love the show and yet I have to take breaks between episodes because of how dark and intense it is.

Can't say much about the cinematography because I pay minimal mind to that stuff when it comes to TV. Set design, camera work, I will notice more often in movies. Most TV shows that I've seen keep that stuff simple. TV shows for most of the time they've been around have been talking heads and standing bodies. Whether it's TV or film, I jive off the feels, characters, dialogue and relationships. Whether that gets across through fancy camera work or acting.

Critisims about the technical part of the show aside, I wonder if this show is less appealing to some guys because they find it less relatable due to the protagonist being a woman. Not calling people sexist, just saying that it's typically harder to see through a characters eyes when your gender doesn't match theirs. A small example of this would be how the villian tells woman to smile. That shit burns me up because it's something I've experienced throughout my real life experience. Maybe not everyone relates to JJ like they do Daredevil or whomever.
I don't think any of my criticisms/issues of the show have anything to do with reliability--don't even think that's been discussed by anybody else in here either. I just made it through the episode with JJ's freakout in the married lady's apartment, and in order for relatability to even be an issue, there'd have to be some solid character work done here first, which there really ain't. Most of the characterizations are pretty surface-level flimsy so far. This just seems to be a really sloppily put together show in most ways, at this point.

And just to add to the relateability thing, I feel like I technically relate more with JJ than Matt Murdock, having depression and some past shit that's not really pleasant. I suspect a lot of people, gender aside, can relate more to JJ than a blind lawyer ninja.

E:
Patsy and Cop Dude
are actually pretty good. There's some solid stuff going on there.

Messi

All sex in the 2.5 episodes I've seen has been missionary or Cowgirl.

There hasn't been much/any superheroing tho.

this-is-bullshit-o.gif

VanWinkle

I'd actually put Gotham at the top of comic book show cinematography, by a big margin.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Wait, theres more sex scenes in JJ?

The one in episode one was bad enough, I'm watching the show with my mam

I watched The L Word with my mom, ha. She said that when watching alone, she would usually fast forwarded the sex scenes. She liked the show for "the friendships."

I don't think any of my criticisms/issues of the show have anything to do with reliability--don't even think that's been discussed by anybody else in here either. I just made it through the episode with JJ's freakout in the married lady's apartment, and in order for relatability to even be an issue, there'd have to be some solid character work done here first, which there really ain't. Most of the characterizations are pretty surface-level flimsy so far. This just seems to be a really sloppily put together show in most ways, at this point.

And just to add to the relateability thing, I feel like I technically relate more with JJ than Matt Murdock, having depression and some past shit that's not really pleasant. I suspect a lot of people, gender aside, can relate more to JJ than a blind lawyer ninja.

E:
Patsy and Cop Dude
are actually pretty good. There's some solid stuff going on there.

That's cool. But, out of curiosity, why are you watching the show if you find it so terrible?

I'd actually put Gotham at the top of comic book show cinematography, by a big margin.

It is an extremely pretty show.

Wait, theres more sex scenes in JJ?

The one in episode one was bad enough, I'm watching the show with my mam

Pro-tip: do not watch any Netflix Originals (or Amazon Prime originals or really any of the streaming services originals) with a parent, they're all terribly smutty.

That's cool. But, out of curiosity, why are you watching the show if you find it so terrible?

Can't speak for him, but I feel kinda compelled to finish it just 'cause it's comicbook based and because I know full well that some other Marvel Netflix thing is going to build off it in some way and I should be up to speed.

I also really, really want it to get good. Because I think there's the makings of a fantastic show under all of the sad.

Filthy Slug

Because I'd like to watch the whole season to give it a fair shot. Is it cool to criticize the show?

And yeah, like Poodlestrike said, I want it to be good. I love the idea of street-level comic shows, and Daredevil proved it can be done, and done well. I'd like this to keep that awesome momentum going.

Messi

Because I'd like to watch the whole season to give it a fair shot. Is it cool to criticize the show?

And yeah, like Poodlestrike said, I want it to be good. I love the idea of street-level comic shows, and Daredevil proved it can be done, and done well. I'd like this to keep that awesome momentum going.

What's with this attitude?

It is an extremely pretty show.

Pro-tip: do not watch any Netflix Originals (or Amazon Prime originals or really any of the streaming services originals) with a parent, they're all terribly smutty.

Can't speak for him, but I feel kinda compelled to finish it just 'cause it's comicbook based and because I know full well that some other Marvel Netflix thing is going to build off it in some way and I should be up to speed.

I also really, really want it to get good. Because I think there's the makings of a fantastic show under all of the sad.

Makes sense.

Because I'd like to watch the whole season to give it a fair shot. Is it cool to criticize the show? And yeah, like Poodlestrike said, I want it to be good. I love the idea of street-level comic shows, and Daredevil proved it can be done, and done well. I'd like this to keep that awesome momentum going.

Of course. I was just curious to understand because I have different viewing habits. I give pilots a shot and if I don't love them, I don't continue. That's what I did with DD, Flash, and Arrow. But I'm not invested in any of these characters or the marvel universe in general.

VanWinkle

I know this isn't a problem for most people, but I hate how Netflix originals are, with very very few exceptions, on two complete extremes content-rating-wise. Pretty much everything they put out is either TV-MA or TV-Little-Tiny-Kids. I wish they would bring a little more variety, for people who enjoy a mature show without much violence, sex, and profanity.

I know this isn't a problem for most people, but I hate how Netflix originals are, with very very few exceptions, on two complete extremes content-rating-wise. Pretty much everything they put out is either TV-MA or TV-Little-Tiny-Kids. I wish they would bring a little more variety, for people who enjoy a mature show without much violence, sex, and profanity.

Watch Dinotrux! It's made for older children. Like, maybe 7-9, I'd guess. And it's awesome!

PsychBat!

Banned

EEEEHHHH I understand your beef, but fortunately there are a lot of shows on CBS, NBC, ABC and other networks that provide what you're looking for.

Messi

You should try House MD. It's pretty good. The actress who plays Thirteen is awesome.

VanWinkle

Watch Dinotrux! It's made for older children. Like, maybe 7-9, I'd guess. And it's awesome!

Hmm haven't heard of it. I'll look into it.

EEEEHHHH I understand your beef, but fortunately there are a lot of shows on CBS, NBC, ABC and other networks that provide what you're looking for.

Yeah, I know. Most of the shows I watch are from networks like those. But Netflix is often great quality with little filler, so I'd love to see them tackle some stuff with a little more rating variety.

You should try House MD. It's pretty good. The actress who plays Thirteen is awesome.

House is pretty awesome.

Filthy Slug

Makes sense.

Of course. I was just curious to understand because I have different viewing habits. I give pilots a shot and if I don't love them, I don't continue. That's what I did with DD, Flash, and Arrow. But I'm not invested in any of these characters or the marvel universe in general.

Yeah, I totally feel you. I wasn't into Flash at all (especially considering the current comic) when the show came on, but after the first few episodes, it just charmed the shit out of me and, honestly, the show just looked damn good.

That's kind why I'm sticking with JJ. The more rad, but most importantly good, comic shows there are out there, the happier I am. But I'm saying, Patsy is growing on this show, and now the bond between them is an actual thing. An enjoyable thing.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I watched all of orange is the new black with my mother. Lots of oral in that show.

My mother is chill, so I just told her how there was a sex scene in the comic and it'll probably be in this episode too, she wasn't bothered

I'd watch OITNB with her, but we're behind on way too many shows as it is

Yeah, I totally feel you. I wasn't into Flash at all (especially considering the current comic) when the show came on, but after the first few episodes, it just charmed the shit out of me and, honestly, the show just looked damn good.

That's kind why I'm sticking with JJ. The more rad, but most importantly good, comic shows there are out there, the happier I am. But I'm saying, Patsy is growing on this show, and now the bond between them is an actual thing. An enjoyable thing.

I actually really liked The Flash pilot. I love the kid who plays The Flash. But I really liking isn't enough for me. I gotta LOVE a thing. No, you know what it is? I hate teenagers and these kids seem barely out of their teens. It's terrible but I just don't like watching shows featuring teens or even college-age kids. I read JJ and crew as being more late-20's. Whether they are or not, but with all the living JJ has done (and the fact that the actress is 33) that's how it comes across to me.

Tomita

Still haven't watched it, but JJ doesn't have as good of action as Daredevil? But that was the best paaaart. Man, hopefully it gets better as the show goes on, but I will pull back some of my expectations I suppose. Nice to know Luke Cage is the best part!

And...sorry, but bump:

Anyone got experience with dreamlandcomics.com? I really want Black Widow: Name Of The Rose, but they seem to be the only place selling it. I noticed some negative reviews about them not updating their in/out of stock status, but the reviews were pretty old. Didn't know this trade stopped being available ):

Anyone? I just really want this comic ): Don't wanna get screwed over though.

I actually really liked The Flash pilot. I love the kid who plays The Flash. But I really liking isn't enough for me. I gotta LOVE a thing. No, you know what it is? I hate teenagers and these kids seem barely out of their teens. It's terrible but I just don't like watching shows featuring teens or even college-age kids. I read JJ and crew as being more late-20's. Whether they are or not, but with all the living JJ has done (and the fact that the actress is 33) that's how it comes across to me.

Ageist.

PsychBat!

Banned
Still haven't watched it, but JJ doesn't have as good of action as Daredevil? But that was the best paaaart.
The reason for this is because JJ is not a martial arts expert and is a brawler with enhanced strength.

Still, the cinematography and dialogue are not on par with Daredevil. The way the action scenes were shot could have been better and editing leaves something to be desired.

A good show nonetheless.

Fpffft. Saying someone is ageist against young people is like the phrase "reverse racism." IE it doesn't exist. The western world revolves around youth.

I'm 38. At this point I've seen a zillion shows centring around teens and college-age adults. I'm just bored of it, is all.

Hagi

Fpffft. Saying someone is ageist against young people is like the phrase "reverse racism." IE it doesn't exist. The western world revolves around youth.

I'm 38. At this point I've seen a zillion shows centring around teens and college-age adults. I'm just bored of it, is all.

I'm only 26 but I struggle to watch CW shows at times.

I've only watched 3 episodes of JJ so far but I'm really enjoying it. It's very much a weird almost noir detective story and I dig it.

This is why there's a maximum allowable age on holding higher office.

No, wait.

:p

VanWinkle

Finished Battling Boy. It was interesting. I wouldn't say I loved it, but I didn't dislike it. Sort of weird, but nothing wrong with that.

I'm now reading DC's Solo (Deluxe Edition). I'm halfway through Tim Sale's issue, and I love it so far, even though I'm not a huge fan of Sale's art. I can still appreciate his style.

Top Bottom