• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2015. The much-anticipated sequel to October's OT.

Messi

Tokyo Ghost is really fucking good. Remender is dropping some really heavy relationship/dependence/toxicity themes here. Really didn't think the book would be this emotionally resonant, but him and Murphy are pulling of some spectacular shit in this one.

Remenders last few indie books have been stellar. Some of my fav books ever (Deadly Class and Low)

I keep looking at Nextwave and nearly buying it and then not. What is stopping me? :(

Uncanny Avengers Vol. 3: Ragnarok Now

I love this book so much. Thor for MVP.

3816351-uncanny+avengers+016-020.jpg

It's weird that I like McNiven's art in this book (Though I vastly prefer Acuña's), but I dislike his art so much on The Uncanny Inhumans.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Wonder what that dude is working on now that Mind MGMT is over.

I hope more creator-owned stuff. His books like Revolver and Red-Handed are really under-loved gems, and his art style works well for things he personally writes. As much as I'd love to see him back on some DC books, I don't know where he'd fit in or how successful his stuff would be there.

Tokyo Ghost is really fucking good. Remender is dropping some really heavy relationship/dependence/toxicity themes here. Really didn't think the book would be this emotionally resonant, but him and Murphy are pulling of some spectacular shit in this one.
Yep, it's awesome. It's a shame that the villain in the first issue turned off so many people, because it was very clear it was a one-time thing. Series has been great and the artwork is stunning.
Uncanny Avengers Vol. 3: Ragnarok Now

I love this book so much. Thor for MVP.
It's weird that I like McNiven's art in this book (Though I vastly prefer Acuña's), but I dislike his art so much on The Uncanny Inhumans.
That whole period of Uncanny Avengers is fantastic. Definitely check out Avenge the Earth when you can, you'll love it. You can stop once you finish that.

tim1138

I hope more creator-owned stuff. His books like Revolver and Red-Handed are really under-loved gems, and his art style works well for things he personally writes. As much as I'd love to see him back on some DC books, I don't know where he'd fit in or how successful his stuff would be there.

I think he's a much stronger writer than he is an artist. With Mind MGMT especially, the characters all started to look a little samey as the series went on. Kudos to him for being able to write and draw his own stuff, but personally I'd rather see him focus on writing.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I think he's a much stronger writer than he is an artist. With Mind MGMT especially, the characters all started to look a little samey as the series went on. Kudos to him for being able to write and draw his own stuff, but personally I'd rather see him focus on writing.

100%. I'd say at a first-glance, his art would be a turn-off for most people, but it always works well within the context of his stories, and he really likes to do some interesting experimental story-telling stuff. But yeah, it ain't the thing I like most about him, and I'd much rather see him become a better writer and work with better artists.

Also, I want him to keep burning books at conventions, 'cause that is rad.

E: I just realized I have an unread MIND MGMT hardcover staring at me off my bookshelf. Holy shit, I don't even know when I got that.

Yep, it's awesome. It's a shame that the villain in the first issue turned off so many people, because it was very clear it was a one-time thing. Series has been great and the artwork is stunning.

That whole period of Uncanny Avengers is fantastic. Definitely check out Avenge the Earth when you can, you'll love it. You can stop once you finish that.

I plan on reading AXIS. I know the rep it gets, but it's part of the storyline and it's necessary for me to read.

Vyer

Thanks, Ed. I read through the whole article, and I appreciate his or her opinion, but found myself completely disagreeing with it. I don't think there's anything wrong at all with a person from one race telling a story about a historical time period wherein they - or "their kind" - weren't the victim.

That's not really the criticism being put forth in that article. The last few paragraphs where it talks about the last page of the book sums it up pretty well. I don't doubt that Waid and Jones meant well, but it does seem like a poorly thought out idea.

I plan on reading AXIS. I know the rep it gets, but it's part of the storyline and it's necessary for me to read.

Or, and hear me out here, you could take the money you plan on spending on Axis and buy something more worth reading.

Like literally anything else, but mostly The Omega Men.

Supergirl Vol. 1: Last Daughter of Krypton

This was pretty good. I really liked the art. The action sequences were good, and I like Kara, and how very different she is from Clark. The mythology overall was very interesting, specifically the whole Worldkillers plot (though not a unique concept). I liked it. Looking forward to more.
This is not a thing you should do

Or, and hear me out here, you could take the money you plan on spending on Axis and buy something more worth reading.

Like literally anything else, but mostly The Omega Men.

I'll make the mistakes I make! I spent money on AvX, Ultimatum, and AoU. Oh, and Red Hood and the Outlaws volume 1, and 3 volumes of New 52 Constantine, and 3 volumes of DeMatteis' run on JLD. And Deadpool vs. Carnage, and Trinity War.

I am no stranger to mistakes.

Messi

I personally loved all of Red Hood and the Outlaws. I wouldn't call that series a mistake. Everyone likes different titles.

Boogiepop

...I'm starting to think Archie is just never going to put out another Sonic/Mega Man trade again at this point. The one single one that was left at being scheduled for December after countless delays... got pushed to April of next year. And 2 of the other trades that recently got pushed back to January now show some suspicious May dates for the kindle editions or whatever...

Pretty sure that means they only put out like maybe 2 trades in that whole line this year back in February, if I'm remembering correctly. It really is insane with all this, just want to buy some darn trades.

JEKKI

yooooo not sure if somebody mentioned it already but I bet somebody already mentioned it,

but in case I'll mention again there's a Dynamite / Gold Key sale at comixology...

Magnus Robot Fighter is a must read!!

it's like that movie the Matrix kinda... if that movie were funny and didnt suck lol

(not the first movie tho, the first one was great!!)

anyways, I also finished reading Ales Kot Zero this weekend...

wtheck man that book is dumb >_< like towards the end it jus stops making sense and just it stupid...

this Wicked and Devine book isnt any better either lol

VanWinkle

I'm reading through Darwyn Cooke's Solo issue, and...my goodness, what an absolutely wonderful artist and writer. I HAVE to get New Frontier SOON. There was a little story he drew/wrote about when he really got into drawing as a little kid and it was just beautiful.

I'm very agreeable. I'm incredibly versatile in my agreeableness.

I disagree...
;)

Aquaman Vol. 2: The Others

Wow. This book continues to be good. Some super sick action and paneling. Reis delivering on that art. The Atlantean artifacts are cool, but there isn't that much detail. The Scepter of the Dead King is clearly some insanely powerful artifact that can trigger earthquakes, and has to do with the Trench (the shrine surrounding it all has sculptures appearing to be similar to the Trench).

I'm curious as to what the Trident can do. Before they found the Scepter, they believed it to be the most powerful. This is some Millennium Item bullshit (but way cooler) here.

Also, obligatory badass sequence:
I disagree...
;)

FIGHT ME

VanWinkle

Wow. This book continues to be good. Some super sick action and paneling. Reis delivering on that art. The Atlantean artifacts are cool, but there isn't that much detail. The Scepter of the Dead King is clearly some insanely powerful artifact that can trigger earthquakes, and has to do with the Trench (the shrine surrounding it all has sculptures appearing to be similar to the Trench).

I'm curious as to what the Trident can do. Before they found the Scepter, they believed it to be the most powerful. This is some Millennium Item bullshit (but way cooler) here.

FIGHT ME

Daaang. Aquaman looks awesome. I'm waiting on the omnibus, though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is that naked lady coming out of a fridge?

Great art too

Aquaman Vol. 3: Throne of Atlantis:

So, I've already read most of this, since I read the Justice League side of it awhile back when I was following that book. However, it's still a really good action book, and really cool to see the effect it has on the entirety of the world. It was also cool to see the Aquaman side of it, which gave a lot more context to the events.
Vulko's betrayal
made a lot more sense, and there was a great deal of foreshadowing involving the Trench and the Scepter. Not to mention the fact that this was actually a plot thread that had been developing for a long time.

That all being said, I've really been enjoying Aquaman and I'm still really liking this book.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
No, but for real. Its a stupid complaint. There arent even "tons of fights" like the dude claims. And it doesnt take long to reach the end of my tether.

I'm glad to just be a part of the comics community. MCUGAF can really be defensive.
On the one hand, yes, the fanbase can be overly defensive. On the other hand, that "overly defensive" attitude is blown up by a lot of others, especially those who are (and this is definitely true on GAF) overly critical of the MCU.
No, but for real. Its a stupid complaint. There arent even "tons of fights" like the dude claims. And it doesnt take long to reach the end of my tether.

What thread?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
On the one hand, yes, the fanbase can be overly defensive. On the other hand, that "overly defensive" attitude is blown up by a lot of others, especially those who are (and this is definitely true on GAF) overly critical of the MCU.

What thread?

Jessica Jones OT.
And maybe I overreacted a little bit. Posting with a bad mood is never good.

Jessica Jones OT.
And maybe I overreacted a little bit. Posting with a bad mood is never good.

Oh I don't bother with any show OTs anymore for the most part. I feel like it makes me a bit jaded towards the show. Episodes get picked apart and dissected so much. Hopefully you're one of the posters who people actually read, because otherwise no one touches them. Sometimes that happens in this community, even, but since this one is a fairly positive one it usually isn't that big of a deal.

Show OTs aren't great, unless they're small. Supernatural and Once Upon a Time are solid, but OUaT's OT has like, 4 posters at any given time, so it's really too dead to actually be a good OT. Even then, I'm not posting because I'm behind.

I've avoided pretty much anything Jessica Jones related, since I feel like everyone either intensely dislikes it or loves it. If you love MCU things on GAF, then you're a tool. If you dislike them, then you're an overly critical douche (not my actual opinions, though this can be true on occasion). I feel like debates go nowhere and become totally hyperbolic in a matter of seconds.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Oh I don't bother with any show OTs anymore for the most part. I feel like it makes me a bit jaded towards the show. Episodes get picked apart and dissected so much. Hopefully you're one of the posters who people actually read, because otherwise no one touches them. Sometimes that happens in this community, even, but since this one is a fairly positive one it usually isn't that big of a deal.

Show OTs aren't great, unless they're small. Supernatural and Once Upon a Time are solid, but OUaT's OT has like, 4 posters at any given time, so it's really too dead to actually be a good OT. Even then, I'm not posting because I'm behind.

I've avoided pretty much anything Jessica Jones related, since I feel like everyone either intensely dislikes it or loves it. If you love MCU things on GAF, then you're a tool. If you dislike them, then you're an overly critical douche (not my actual opinions, though this can be true on occasion). I feel like debates go nowhere and become totally hyperbolic in a matter of seconds.

Problem is, with higher popularity of a thing, quality rapidly falls. I mean, look at the Star Wars threads, they filled with crazy assumptions, People who get loud about how much they hate the prequels, strange theories from people who pay no attention to trailers and questions nobody can answer, because no one has seen the movie yet and every 2,3 pages, the cycle repeats.
Pre-Release Marvel Production Threads are great, a relative small count of posters who are all very well informed, good atmosphere and everything.

Problem is, with higher popularity of a thing, quality rapidly falls. I mean, look at the Star Wars threads, they filled with crazy assumptions, People who get loud about how much they hate the prequels, strange theories from people who pay no attention to trailers and questions nobody can answer, because no one has seen the movie yet and every 2,3 pages, the cycle repeats.
Pre-Release Marvel Production Threads are great, a relative small count of posters who are all very well informed, good atmosphere and everything.

This is truth

Foofaraw

Just read Extraordinary X-Men 2. The art feels way more uneven in this issue. Certainly needs more beefcake Colossus. I also picked up Saga o the Swamp Thing Vol 1. It's been a long time since I've read it and I feel like it should be in my collection. I think 80s style art is some of my absolute favorites, with the flat coloring. Are there any books that emulate this style anymore?

Yo. I don't know how good this is going to be, but based off the creative team alone I had to get it.

IMAG0134_600x808.jpg

You did good. Art is really cool, different awesome.

-----------------

Picked up an art book, The Sakai Project. Collection of artwork donated by lots of artists.
Cool shittt

-----------

Woah, just got in a huge surprise from Ed. I'm both super fucking impressed/awed, and super thankful. This is dope:
Fuggin Ed.. awesome

FIGHT ME

Is this by Geoff Johns. It feels very Geoff Johnsy.

deleted

Since it was recommended I bought Hellboy: Library I - and it arrived today after some waiting :)

The book has a nice quality and is much thicker than I expected. If I like the story, I'll dig in deeper for sure, but occult WW2 stuff mixed with Elder mythology is always fascinating, so I see myself buying the rest of them asap.

Since it was recommended I bought Hellboy: Library I - and it arrived today after some waiting :)

The book has a nice quality and is much thicker than I expected. If I like the story, I'll dig in deeper for sure, but occult WW2 stuff mixed with Elder mythology is always fascinating, so I see myself buying the rest of them asap.

Hellboy's great! Hope you like it.

If you want more, I'd definitely recommend BPRD and Hellboy and The BPRD 1952 as well.

read some of the MU update books

master of kung fu was pretty good. the artist has a nice style and therr are actually quite a few times the work impressed me. the artist knows to constuct panels and pages well.

planet hulk was pretty ok. i suspect the later issues will be better. its a fun set up.

A few months ago I stated that comics are virtually non-existent in Austria. No comic books in stores or libraries, and no physical versions available online.
But it seems that it has gained some popularity in recent times, with the first ever comic-con happening in Austria.

vienna_comic_con_pure57uic.jpg

It made public news, with 15,000 in attendance, around half-full.

News article (in German)
http://orf.at/stories/2311021/2311022/

They talk about nerd topics are now accepted by the masses - at least since Big Bang Theory, and how the audience is much more evenly split between genders today, which resulted in the Thor sex change and fan backlash amongst other things. They also mentioned the popularity of cosplay, and the split between sexy and sexism.

vienna_comic_con_2015pxuqr.jpg

Top Bottom