• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
TBH the only one of those even remotely interesting is Emiko. But really let's give the new team a chance to play around how they want to and decide who and what they want to use.

Emiko is definitely the most interesting, but it felt like a solid family unit was built up in Green Arrow, and I really enjoyed that aspect of Lemire and Sorrentino's run.

And I'm not saying the writers are completely doing away with the family...but you can see how the wording and abruptness of that panel could easily make readers think that they're brushing off the family with some nonsense. "Face it, you're all I got left Olly."

Emiko is definitely the most interesting, but it felt like a solid family unit was built up in Green Arrow, and I really enjoyed that aspect of Lemire and Sorrentino's run.

And I'm not saying the writers are completely doing away with the family...but you can see how the wording and abruptness of that panel could easily make readers think that they're brushing off the family with some nonsense. "Face it, you're all I got left Olly."

How were Daniel Sampere's pencils? I've seen much discussion of the writing, but not so much of the art.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
How were Daniel Sampere's pencils? I've seen much discussion of the writing, but not so much of the art.

Pretty standard boring cape art. Serviceable, but no creativity and damn dull. Olly looks much older and more jacked than in the previous run.

Pretty standard boring cape art. Serviceable, but no creativity and damn dull. Olly looks much older and more jacked than in the previous run.

I was hoping for something a little more kinetic, but I guess 'serviceable' is more accessible to the masses. Sampere's pencils are going to improve over time, so that's something.

Bii

Not sure if it's mentioned already but Mondo is releasing some comic-related posters today. The Deadpool posters are covers from the comic.

http://mondotees.com

mondo-archie.jpg

Poster by Francesco Francavilla. 24″x36″ screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 275 ($50)

mondo-deadpool1.jpg

Poster by Jay Shaw. 18″x24″ screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 175 ($40)

mondo-deadpool2.jpg

mondo-deadpool3.jpg

mondo-deadpool4.jpg

I asked the comic shop owner to print out my pull list; it's at 47 books. Sigh, too much stuff I like.

How do you find time to read everything? I struggle between uni and work; assignments eat up so much of my free time. I'm thankful for public transport, I can at least read a few books to and from home every morning/afternoon.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I'm a fan of Simon Baz. I enjoyed his introduction to the DCU and Johns' characterisation, but he just faded away. Not enough time was given to the readers to establish a connection/relationship with the character. Once Johns' left Green Lantern and Baz joined the Justice League of America, his character was quickly forgotten and the impact he might have had was quashed; he didn't play much of active role on the team and the book was quickly moving towards Trinity War and Forever Evil. A new character is going to suffer tremendously from lack of exposure over a period of more than seven months. I'm sure there are many readers who don't even remember who Baz is.

With the introduction of Jessica Cruz, Baz has lost the appeal of being the new kid on the block, the new model. Focus is going to be solely on the character of Cruz and developments will be centred around her. Baz is ultimately in an awkward position and consequently, writers simply don't know what to do with him. The best thing that Johns can do is to bring Baz into the Justice League, giving him upmost exposure and develop him alongside Cruz. I'm not sure a mentor relationship is going to fly, given Baz is just as inexperienced, but it's the best course of action.

I thought the two main knocks against him was

1. they drew him using a handgun when the ring is potentially the greatest weapon in the DC universe.

2. The story leaked that they planned to kill off Johns and some fans became enraged because it seemed DC was only going to allow one black/brown GL at a time. The fans fet it was either Baz or John and for familiarity sake alone fans decided to ignore Baz.

1. they drew him using a handgun when the ring is potentially the greatest weapon in the DC universe.

2. The story leaked that they planned to kill off Johns and some fans became enraged because it seemed DC was only going to allow one black/brown GL at a time. The fans fet it was either Baz or John and for familiarity sake alone fans decided to ignore Baz.

I know people don't like his writing, but who threatened Geoff Johns' life?!??!

People take things so far in this biz...

How do you find time to read everything? I struggle between uni and work; assignments eat up so much of my free time. I'm thankful for public transport, I can at least read a few books to and from home every morning/afternoon.

I work 40 hours a week, married, and have no kids. We live in a 2 bedroom apartment. Lots of disposable income, lots of free time. Don't really have friends we hang out with, hang out with family from time to time. So if I work 8 hours and sleep 8 hours, I have 8 hours to do whatever I want in a day.

Wow,, Grayson #3 really surprised me with that issue,,, dammmmit I need to stop adding books to my pull list. It was very good though and will be picking up at least the rest of this story arc.

God Hates Astronauts #2... just awesome. It's funny, building a decent story up and bringing in some more of the characters we know and love. Art is perfect for this. Just loving in,, cant wait till #3

Bucky Barnes #1 was decent. That art and them colors :) I'll admit I got a little bit lost towards the middle/end. But it was good.. maybe ill give it another read in a few days.

Thor #1.0.0.1.AllNew.05 was good. I didn't read Thor before but I enjoyed it. May or may not pick up #2

-

On regards of free time to read..
I'm lucky my job I do my own thing all day and don't really deal with bosses or humans in general (somewhat by choice) I work 10-11 hour days that's where I do 75% of my reading.

I thought the in-story reasoning behind his handgun was completely reasonable. Fans tend to react poorly to change and seeing Simon Baz with handgun, out of context, was not conducive to establishing a fan base. I found Baz more interesting for it. I'm curious as to whether there was a traceable impact on Green Lantern's sales when Baz was headlining the book.

I know there were many rumours about DC's intent to kill off John Stewart, but I don't ever remember reading it was one or the other, Baz or Stewart. That to me is an assumption lacking marginal evidence. Surely DC would not do something so obvious? The controversy/backlash would be unimaginable.

Neoxon

So as far as GotG comics go, we now supposedly have...

- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Rocket Raccoon
- Legendary Star-Lord
- Guardians 3000
- Gamora*

* = Rumored

Holy shit, that's a lot of GotG comics. How many do the Avengers & the X-Men have?

So as far as GotG comics go, we now supposedly have...

- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Rocket Raccoon
- Legendary Star-Lord
- Guardians 3000
- Gamora*

* = Rumored

Holy shit, that's a lot of GotG comics. How many do the Avengers & the X-Men have?

A lot. But with the success of the movie I really wouldn't be surprised if GOTG becomes Marvel's "third pillar" in terms of number of books. These are all characters who have existed forever but haven't had the fanbase to justify individual ongoing series. Maybe now that will change.

IIRC we currently and recently have had:

-Avengers
-New Avengers
-Mighty Avengers (bout to be relaunched as Cap & The Mighty Avengers)
-Secret Avengers (cancelled soon?)
-Uncanny Avengers
-Avengers Assemble (done?)
-Avengers Undercover (done?)
-Avengers AI (done)
-Young Avengers (done)

-X-Men
-Amazing X-Men
-All-New X-Men
-Uncanny X-Men
-Wolverine & The X-Men (Spidey soon)
-All-New Doop
-X-Force
-All-New X-Factor (ending soon)
-Magneto
-Cyclops

Probably missing a couple.

I think Baz was just handled poorly all around. From the first picture with the gun, to basically Johns being the only writer who wanted to give the character more than 5 minutes of their time. If they really wanted the character to stay and grow on the fans they would have made GL be about him, with GLC being about Hal and Stewart.

I have to say though the gun thing was just stupid, I get what they were going for from a story stand point, but it still felt silly and dumb. I also don't think the design of his outfit helped any. It's just terrible, and as silly as this is going to sound it's not inviting, and by that I mean to people looking at the comic. I honestly think they should have had the character take on the approach of no mask. Saying I am who I am, and I am going to break the stereotypes you think of my people.

tim1138

I thought the in-story reasoning behind his handgun was completely reasonable. Fans tend to react poorly to change and seeing Simon Baz with handgun, out of context, was not conducive to establishing a fan base. I found Baz more interesting for it. I'm curious as to whether there was a traceable impact on Green Lantern's sales when Baz was headlining the book.

I know there were many rumours about DC's intent to kill off John Stewart, but I don't ever remember reading it was one or the other, Baz or Stewart. That to me is an assumption lacking marginal evidence. Surely DC would not do something so obvious? The controversy/backlash would be unimaginable.

It's also worth pointing out that the John Stewart death rumors were all after the new creative teams were announced and it was known that the main GL book was reverting to focusing on Hal and that Simon Baz wouldn't feature in any of the titles.

I work 40 hours a week, married, and have no kids. We live in a 2 bedroom apartment. Lots of disposable income, lots of free time. Don't really have friends we hang out with, hang out with family from time to time. So if I work 8 hours and sleep 8 hours, I have 8 hours to do whatever I want in a day.

That's fair enough. I'm honestly jealous. I look forward to having more freedom of time once I graduate, but that's at least another thirteen months away. I'm studying a double degree right now and struggling to maintain my GPA. I try to fit in my weekly reading whenever an opportunity arises, but I have a huge backlog.

Are you admitting that GH and I are family? Will you leave the Batman shrine to me In your will?

You guys are my friends. You are my social time. I just have to reach in my pocket to talk to you. I don't have the cliche, friends I hang out with and play games with or go out with to bars and stuff. I want my Batman shrine to be my tombstone so, no, you can't have it! Lol.

It's also worth pointing out that the John Stewart death rumors were all after the new creative teams were announced and it was known that the main GL book was reverting to focusing on Hal and that Simon Baz wouldn't feature in any of the titles.

I'm writing an essay at the moment and I couldn't for the life of me remember when those rumours sprung up. I was sure it was after the new creative team announcements. Thanks for clarifying. It's definitely an important point to raise, as it does not make sense for people to be speculating over Simon Baz replacing John Stewart.

Just read Nailbiter on my break here at work and it was quite enjoyable. Very character driven and took a break from the frantic pace of the first arc. Very cool backup story also.

I'm writing an essay at the moment and I couldn't for the life of me remember when those rumours sprung up. I was sure it was after the new creative team announcements. Thanks for clarifying. It's definitely an important point to raise, as it does not make sense for people to be speculating over Simon Baz replacing John Stewart.

It was when Fialkov left the book before his run was going to start. The rumors that came out of that were that DC wanted him to kill off Jon and he refused to do it.

Relevant Article

Fialkov Posted:
There were editorial decisions about the direction of the book that conflicted with the story I was hired to tell, and I felt that it was better to let DC tell their story the way they want. I’m grateful for the opportunity and I’ll miss working with the entire Green Lantern team.This was not an easy decision to make emotionally or financially, but, I’m sure it was the right decision for both me, and for the Green Lantern books. The outpouring of support, your kind words and well wishes means so much to me and my family.

After the crowd scene in Captain America I am very confident in the future of The Avengers franchise if/when Hickz leaves and if/when Remender takes over.

Messi

Started reading my trade of Black Science vol 1. I am enjoying it but I'm having a but of trouble learning names and relationships. I have this problem with lots of books and it makes me sad.

After the crowd scene in Captain America I am very confident in the future of The Avengers franchise if/when Hickz leaves and if/when Remender takes over.

I'd love that so much, after Uncanny Remender deserves a shot at the main title. I'm really enjoying Captain America too.

If that happens, wonder if New Avengers will just end and Uncanny will replace it as the "secondary" book.

Three week backlog continues!

Supergirl and
Captain Comet
romance, huh?

Batwoman: I'm not sure what I expected. Not bad, but out of nowhere.

Time to read some of this weeks pulls!

Are you admitting that GH and I are family? Will you leave the Batman shrine to me In your will?

I have a feeling that if we ever go on a movie style road trip that I'm going to have to be one of the backseat guys and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

ReAxion

Started reading my trade of Black Science vol 1. I am enjoying it but I'm having a but of trouble learning names and relationships. I have this problem with lots of books and it makes me sad.

Yeah, that was a thing for me, too. It'll go away tho.

Grayson #3:

Damn. This series keeps flooring me. It's just so good and it keeps taking you on a roller coaster of experiences and emotions in such a short page count.

Seriously, this is probably my series of the year at this point.

Messi

Guys. I am still having a hard time sleeping since that fucker broke into my house a few months back. I keep waking up in the middle of the night thinking someone is on my roof outside my window. It's been really bad the past few days. :(. Does this feeling ever go away or should I speak with someone.

Grayson #3:

Damn. This series keeps flooring me. It's just so good and it keeps taking you on a roller coaster of experiences and emotions in such a short page count.

Seriously, this is probably my series of the year at this point.

I agree. I think this might be in my top 3 at the end of the month.

Guys. I am still having a hard time sleeping since that fucker broke into my house a few months back. I keep waking up in the middle of the night thinking someone is on my roof outside my window. It's been really bad the past few days. :(. Does this feeling ever go away or should I speak with someone.

I was like that after my car last week, now I have to tell my self over and over that I can't control it and just say fuck it. Cross that bridge when you get there.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

OK this is going to sound weird but I hope whoever takes over Avengers next is able to dial back the scale and scope a bit. Hickman's run has been glorious but I think the next writer needs to make it tonally quite different. And while I like Remender he's also in that wheelhouse of massive sprawling referential stories. I'd prefer if Aaron got it I think, he's able to make it more about character.

But really, I pity whoever has to follow Hickman. It's going to be F4 all over again. Nothing will ever be as good :(

phoenixyz

Man, I am a dedicated ComicGAF lurker, but 5 pages in ~24 hours? I can't keep up.

Also, some thoughts about some of this weeks comics

Batman Eternal #26
Probably the weakest issue so far. The art was really bad.
Why is Stephanie such a badass all of a sudden? With Harper they, at least, had some half-assed explanation about Red Robin giving her some training.
Also, what the fuck is wrong with Barbara's face?
babso2kfb.jpg

Detective Comics #35
disgonbgud.gif I'm digging the art and the thriller-y setup. It would be awesome if they continued doing self-contained Batman arcs with non-house-style art in Detective Comics in the future.

God Hates Astronauts #2
I don't even know why this is so funny. Definitely one of my current favourites.

Gotham Academy #1
ounym.gif

All the
angsty teenager stuff didn't really do it for me. The second half with some actual story setup was much better. I'll stay on board for now

Grayson #3
After the Future's End story I couldn't wait for the next time to get some Dick in my hand. It's still just the right amount of comedy, action and thriller. Those three (four) issues are already better than the whole New52 Nightwing run.

Zombine

Banned
Which one did ya get?

I could not pass up on that Francavilla. This is my NYCC pre-game. By the time I get a nice frame It'll be $80 purchase.

I have a feeling that if we ever go on a movie style road trip that I'm going to have to be one of the backseat guys and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Back seat is underrated. You get to stretch out and just relax. The back only blows if it's more than one person.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

I agree with you, I still think they couldn't of found a worse teaser image for the character than this:

Green_Lantern_Vol_5-0_Cover-1_Teaser.jpg

I remember when everyone thought DC was going to have him be a former terrorist of something.....

In hindsight it fits in with DC's overall new
old
gritty style. However when it came out all everyone knew was he was a new green lantern using a handgun.

Also honestly, looking at DC's erratic (or just controversial) behavior on so many topics lately can we say they wouldn't do something so obvious?

Burn it to the ground and buy a new house. Let's see this fucker find you now.

This needs to be on the trade

Grayson is the gift that keeps on giving

Dick for everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom