• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Also in regards to Criminal: Shoutout to Val Staples whose coloring was excellent.

Last of the Innocent along with Bad Night and Sleeper are top Bru/Phillips for me. Which makes The Fade Out an annoying detour in that it's in the style of Criminal but not - Fatale at least was an interesting detour about genre expectations and female characters in genre fiction (even if it ultimately didn't go where I wanted)

That's a shame that The Fade Out and Fatale aren't much in comparison to Criminal. What about Velvet?
Also, I guess I'll have to pick up Sleeper at some point.

Finished Superior Foes 16. Googled around a bit. Saw that 17 will be the final issue.

We need more slice of life supes comics.

No idea what they'll do with that
punisher
intro.
Also didnt quite understood how boomerange went from
having his skull caved in in the back of an alley to playing a baseball game.

So, I have to say that I am tickled pink by the Mon-El commission that I got from Ed. Here is a scan of the finished work and the inspiration image that I pointed him to:

RttxOMR.jpg

adv+11-07.jpg

Thanks again, Ed!

Finished Superior Foes 16. Googled around a bit. Saw that 17 will be the final issue.

We need more slice of life supes comics.

No idea what they'll do with that
punisher
intro.
Also didnt quite understood how boomerange went from
having his skull caved in in the back of an alley to playing a baseball game.
Fred stole a serum from Chameleon, he wasn't the one getting beat up in the alley

frye

Also in regards to Criminal: Shoutout to Val Staples whose coloring was excellent.

That's a shame that The Fade Out and Fatale aren't much in comparison to Criminal. What about Velvet?
Also, I guess I'll have to pick up Sleeper at some point.

The Fade Out isn't bad really, it just seems like a retreat (especially compared to what you've just read)

Fatale I actually kind of like - I was mostly on board onto the final issue but that final issue left me wanting y'know?

Velvet is the other half of Fatale, the fulfilment of certain promises I feel weren't kept in that book, but all that means is that it's an elevated genre book. Which is fine! But not mind blowing. It is maybe notable that Velvet has a degree of agency that no other of their protagonists have.

Sleeper I really love. It's blatantly a comic written in the style of television, but it works in a way that Y the Last Man (which, side note: I really hate) doesn't.
One of the meanest endings in comics.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So, I have to say that I am tickled pink by the Mon-El commission that I got from Ed. Here is a scan of the finished work and the inspiration image that I pointed him to:

Thanks again, Ed!

That's really great. Stellar work as always, Ed.

The Fade Out isn't bad really, it just seems like a retreat (especially compared to what you've just read)

Fatale I actually kind of like - I was mostly on board onto the final issue but that final issue left me wanting y'know?

Velvet is the other half of Fatale, the fulfilment of certain promises I feel weren't kept in that book, but all that means is that it's an elevated genre book. Which is fine! But not mind blowing. It is maybe notable that Velvet has a degree of agency that no other of their protagonists have.

Sleeper I really love in a way. It's blatantly a comic written in the style of television, but it works in a way that Y the Last Man (which, side note: I really hate) doesn't.

Thanks for your thoughts! I really appreciate it. I'll definitely keep all that in mind.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Multiversity was pretty mad this week. Not 100% sure on the satire (bit obvious) but all of the callbacks to 90s DC were great. Impulse, Risk, motherfucking BLOODWYND. Come on. A very strange book.

Boogiepop

So here's a random thought I had earlier in the month that I wanted to wait till around now to propose: Would you guys be interested in doing a "Do-it-yourself Avatar November" (or something to that effect?) I know that Kipp's been doing that already of course (and he drew my one I've been using for a while now), but I was thinking it'd be cool to just have everyone do their best to gather up whatever artistic skills they have to throw something together. And I say this as someone who certainly isn't much of an artist, much as I'd like to be otherwise.

So here's a random thought I had earlier in the month that I wanted to wait till around now to propose: Would you guys be interested in doing a "Do-it-yourself Avatar November" (or something to that effect?) I know that Kipp's been doing that already of course (and he drew my one I've been using for a while now), but I was thinking it'd be cool to just have everyone do their best to gather up whatever artistic skills they have to throw something together. And I say this as someone who certainly isn't much of an artist, much as I'd like to be otherwise.

well you already see my contribution

fauxtrot

Banned

I'd be down... I think it'd be fun to have everyone pick an image that they use as a reference that we could all look at and compare to their drawn version. With a "no tracing" honor system, for all you Greg Lands out there.

Boogiepop

Man, it's manga coming in for this instance, but... I just love it when I order something online, and it's waiting on one item, and then it finally ships after a week/week and a half without it... and then that item immediately comes in. My order shipped this morning, and the book it was waiting on now says "reserved for your order." So silly.

If I can get myself to muster up the energy, I'll do one

Sleeper I really love. It's blatantly a comic written in the style of television, but it works in a way that Y the Last Man (which, side note: I really hate) doesn't.
One of the meanest endings in comics.
Ed is just too one note for me. Brah is the Billy Joe Armstrong of comics.

Took the plunge and got me a year of Marvel Unlimited. Now what? Recommend me something please guys :) I'm trading civil war atm

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction
Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Daredevil by Mark Waid
Immortal Iron Fist by Brubaker and Fraction
Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender

Whoof, Cyclops was weak today, what a lame setup Rucka. You can do better. The plot devices here had me groaning throughout, huge step down :(
"Let's all assume this green kid knows what to do in all of these situations which have become run-of-the-mill for us and then act surprised when he fucks things up"
is a particularly vexing one to me and I think he trotted it out five times.

Four issues of Wicked + Divine turned out to be enough for me, now exiting this party train. There was a lot of stuff I liked but the "gods as teen idols" angle never sat right with me. I also hate when characters are just a little too witty for their own good...there is a limit and they've reached it. Didn't pick up today's.

Low is a book I wish had another artist. I just don't like Tocchini at all.... I'll tolerate him for a good story (Last Days of American Crime is a fave mini) but nothing is grabbing me here and the art doesn't clearly convey what seems like it should be a compelling setting. It looks like every other Tocchini sci-fi/fantasy hybrid ever. Maybe I'm just reading too many Remender books right now. Read two of these and that was enough.

Read the first issue of Copperhead and thought it was so-so. I have the other one ready to go today but not getting my hopes up.

I agree with Frye's sentiments on The Fade Out: not horrible, but "retreating" is apt. It feels so safe it's not much fun.

Trees, though....Trees is grabbing me, it is my shining beacon today. That and the random DC fun earlier today. Excited to start Year Zero too but I might save it for the weekend.

A lot of universes are about to get ruined. Spider-Verse and Secret Wars are just excuses for Marvel to start cleaning house on a bunch of other realities.

Yeah it really started last year with Xtermination. AoA won't show up, they already wrapped that one

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction
Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Daredevil by Mark Waid
Immortal Iron Fist by Brubaker and Fraction
Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender

Tyrant Rave has set you on the path. You need only walk down it, now.

The Immortal Iron Fist, *sniff*, the good old days... new series has been such a letdown after a solid first issue.

Man, tell me about it. I hung on for five issues hoping they'd turn that around but it doesn't even come close to IIF. Better to re-read IIF and pretend that isn't even happening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom