• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know what to expect going in, but I grabbed issue 1 when it came out simply out of curiosity, and I've been buying it off the rack ever since. I really should put it on my pull-list.

Did you read the Future's End issue? I'm curious as to the quality. The only FE issue I read was Booster Gold.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Did you read the Future's End issue? I'm curious as to the quality. The only FE issue I read was Booster Gold.

It's worth picking up. It could have easily been my book of the month in September. It's a solid one-shot that has a really unique narrative structure puzzle that works superbly. I was super impressed by it.

I dig Dick Grayson. His book feels like something different while still slightly connected to Batman.

There haven't been a whole lot of ties to Batman that I've noticed, though Dick will comm Bruce once in a while. Also, the current bad guy looks like a clone of Revolver Ocelot. I mean, blatantly obvious.

Guardians 3k replaces Bendis' Guardians until he's off the book.

Tell me more. I haven't really been paying attention to this one, but it seems like Marvel is trying to turn this into the next Avengers. They've got Starlord, and Rocket with their own solo titles, along with the main Guardians book and now Guardians 3K. And a rumored Gamora solo in the works.

Yeah, but they're going to feel it eventually.
Yeah, probably lose other Disney things when those contracts expire.

Arkham Knight thing sucks because without the game those are going to sit a while,
but Mattel has another wave of Arkham Knight in a month or two, a skins wave(Beyond, 66') and then Origins and City waves coming in Feb.

They're more than happy to churn out complete garbage at 10 dollars a pop. Those things cost the same as the 6 inch Total Heroes line that is kid oriented but is higher quality in every possible way.
Na, Multiverse is pretty great besides a few bad figures(unmasked Keaton).
Own all of them besides Burton Catwoman who I havent been able to find.

Lot better than what hasbro is doing with Marvel's 3.75 line these days.

uncanny avengers was some dumb shit.
magneto killed a fucking nazi in his own damn concentration camp and the avengers are having a fit. ~ur no better than he is~

hes a goddamn nazi with a concentration camp!!!!!!!!!! get it together, unity squad. a bunch of house mutie motherfuckers in this comic.

tim1138

He was really great and genuine, I feel, from out 5 minute meeting. I asked him to sign my favorite Zero issues, 2 (Zero and Mina as kids) and 9 (Zizek and Bosnia), and told him that those are my favorite because they broke my heart, and he said that he doesn't think hearts break, but that the walls around them do [paraphrasing because my brain was all over the place].

And I talked to him a little about his great tumblr post on oversharing and communicating your full feelings in society.

I didn't really talk in-depth about comics, especially his, but I'm really glad I got to meet him and thank him for writing some of my favorite books, especially Zero, which I think is an important book for the comics medium right now.

That sounds awesome. I have a feeling of I ever got to meet Kot I would fanboy the fuck out and make an ass out of myself. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Zero is the best (and probably the most important) comic being published.

They're more than happy to churn out complete garbage at 10 dollars a pop. Those things cost the same as the 6 inch Total Heroes line that is kid oriented but is higher quality in every possible way.

What astounds me is how you get these dinky 3 ¾" figures that are no bigger than the old G.I. Joes from when I was a kid for like, $8. When I was a kid, you could get a well-made TMNT figure for $3.99. It's insane.

Yeah, probably lose other Disney things when those contracts expire.

Arkham Knight thing sucks because without the game those are going to sit a while,
but Mattel has another wave of Arkham Knight in a month or two, a skins wave(Beyond, 66') and then Origins and City waves coming in Feb.

If nothing else, it goes to show that the intention to release Arkham Knight this fall was legit. But this is going to cut into Mattel's Christmas projections for sure.

magneto killed a fucking nazi in his own damn concentration camp and the avengers are having a fit. ~ur no better than he is~

hes a goddamn nazi with a concentration camp!!!!!!!!!! get it together, unity squad. a bunch of house mutie motherfuckers in this comic.

At least he manned up and did it himself this time instead of
asking Wolverine to do it in that one-shot issue of Uncanny X-Force

Messi

There haven't been a whole lot of ties to Batman that I've noticed, though Dick will comm Bruce once in a while. Also, the current bad guy looks like a clone of Revolver Ocelot. I mean, blatantly obvious..

That's what I mean. I don't mind Dick dropping in on Bruce or giving him a comm. It fits the story and I like their relationship but other than that it's standalone.

It's worth picking up. It could have easily been my book of the month in September. It's a solid one-shot that has a really unique narrative structure puzzle that works superbly. I was super impressed by it.

Definitely sounds interesting. I decided it was best to wait until after Future's End month concluded, so I could buy the issues that stood apart. I'll jump on board

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
That sounds awesome. I have a feeling of I ever got to meet Kot I would fanboy the fuck out and make an ass out of myself. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Zero is the best (and probably the most important) comic being published.

Haha--so after I shook his hand and thanked him and walked out the door I heard "Heyyy, you forgot your comics!" and I had to run back in.

I was fanboyin' the fuck out.

That's what I mean. I don't mind Dick dropping in on Bruce or giving him a comm. It fits the story and I like their relationship but other than that it's standalone.

I hope the same approach is modelled in Gotham Academy. It's fresh and interesting and needs to stand on its own. I don't want to see the Bat-family and his rogues gallery make unnecessary forced appearances.

kswiston

What makes that scene hilarious is
the fact that I am pretty sure Rogue tried to do the same thing in the first arc of Uncanny Avengers.

Messi

I need Amanda Conner to make an art print of this.

I'm sure her cover will be.

This one

tumblr_n8pt4b5eAx1qe06l2o1_500.jpg

Pee Gee needs her own solo series again. Oh and Harley's superhero costume is adorable.

Come on the month is one day old. Harley is crossing over with Pee Gee this month. :p

That'll be my book of the month whenever it releases. Pee Gee is a favourite, so even though I'm trade waiting Harley, I can't say no to double dipping on singles of this new arc. I'm expecting greatness on the level of Power Girl pre-New 52. I read every issue of Worlds' Finest, it's only right.

Messi

That'll be my book of the month whenever it releases. Pee Gee is a favourite, so even though I'm trade waiting Harley, I can't say no to double dipping on singles of this new arc. I'm expecting greatness on the level of Power Girl pre-New 52. I read every issue of Worlds' Finest, it's only right.

It's this month's issue

I don't read my books til way laterso I've been missing the voting..I still haven't picked up last months books yet. If I did it would just be between Supergirl, Batgirl, Harley and Dick, I think that's all I'm pulling at the moment. :/ kills me not to get She Hulk and Daredevil...and xbooks..and Swamp Thing, and Ms Marvel and Rat Queens...ugh

Filthy Slug

Bucky Barnes # 1 was damn good. The sidekick talk and
Imperius Sex
stuff was perfect. I also really love the flow to the dialogue, both the actual writing, and the flow on the page, in tune with the art. Kot and Rudy puttin' in work.

Justice League # 34. Dude. Geoff Johns + Scott Kolins + The Rogues is always great, and I'm super happy that Captain Cold's story is moving along. My only problem is that the coloring for Kolins' work was fucking awful and made his art look a bit generic and flat.

Bucky Barnes # 1 was damn good. The sidekick talk and
Imperius Sex
stuff was perfect. I also really love the flow to the dialogue, both the actual writing, and the flow on the page, in tune with the art. Kot and Rudy puttin' in work.

Justice League # 34. Dude. Geoff Johns + Scott Kolins + The Rogues is always great, and I'm super happy that Captain Cold's story is moving along. My only problem is that the coloring for Kolins' work was fucking awful and made his art look a bit generic and flat.

I'm eagerly awaiting my digital code for Bucky Barnes. I accidentally bought it twice too, so I might have a spare code to share here.

How did you buy it twice? EBay auctions?

I have an arrangement with a friend to buy his digital codes for $2.00 each a week. I forgot I subbed to his Winter Soldier codes and bought one from eBay last night. It's the second time I've done that. Last time it was Moon Night #7.

I almost put Detective Comics back in the shelf today from my pull list because it is a side story by a creative team I have never heard of before. Hooooo-leeeee shit I am glad I didn't. Percy/Leon/Stewart just crafted (so far, 2 parts) one of the most unique Batman issues I have ever read. First off the art is channeling a mix between D. Cooke/C. Samnee. General spoilers below.

Bruce Wayne is at the airport with Alfred about to take off on a private jet for a vacation, one Alfred begged him to go on. Meanwhile in air traffic control, a plane is approaching the airport without radio communications. Bruce finds out that something is wrong and has a Batman outfit in the plane. Plane crash lands which the art for is Amazing. Batman gets on board to find every body decomposed. A Eco terroist later is on the news saying if the U.S. does not withdrawal from the Middle East, the cause of the deaths and decomposition of the passengers will be the fate of the American people with Gotham being ground zero. Batman sees him and the authorities having 8 hours to live.

I am convinced harley is 4-5th each month. One month I know she missed 2nd by 2pts. Sure every vote counts. Deadly Class only won by 2pts today.

Damn, I'll be sure to vote next time then. I didn't realise the standings were so close. Is there going to be a "Best of 2014" vote? It'd be great for the contenders to be limited to the top three books as voted by GAF each month.

Messi

Damn, I'll be sure to vote next time then. I didn't realise the standings were so close. Is there going to be a "Best of 2014" vote? It'd be great for the contenders to be limited to the top three books as voted by GAF each month.

Remender would dominate that list. I'm sure some of us will do a top books list but top issues might be too indept.

I am still salty that Harley Quinn #9 lost out. How that stalker plot line was resolved showed me that Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti get what makes her a fantastic character. Such a great issue. Only beaten by #2 with Ivy sleeping over.

Filthy Slug

I almost put Detective Comics back in the shelf today from my pull list because it is a side story by a creative team I have never heard of before. Hooooo-leeeee shit I am glad I didn't. Percy/Leon/Stewart just crafted (so far, 2 parts) one of the most unique Batman issues I have ever read. First off the art is channeling a mix between D. Cooke/C. Samnee. General spoilers below.

Bruce Wayne is at the airport with Alfred about to take off on a private jet for a vacation, one Alfred begged him to go on. Meanwhile in air traffic control, a plane is approaching the airport without radio communications. Bruce finds out that something is wrong and has a Batman outfit in the plane. Plane crash lands which the art for is Amazing. Batman gets on board to find every body decomposed. A Eco terroist later is on the news saying if the U.S. does not withdrawal from the Middle East, the cause of the deaths and decomposition of the passengers will be the fate of the American people with Gotham being ground zero. Batman sees him and the authorities having 8 hours to live.

Totally loved the Sean Phillips-esque art, and it's really impressive considering the sheer amount of background people and fine detail needed for airport stories, but the actual content was super light, and the last bit was too goofy for me. I'll pick up the second issue though, and continue to support more detetective-y Detective Comics issues.

For Spike.
Thanks! I already have that one, though. Here's a recent one from EVS:

I made up some fun dialogue to go with it. ;p

BM: "You're drunk. AGAIN."
WW: "Nnnnno 'mnot! Am'zons know howta hol' their liqu- *hiq* or."
BM: "You can't keep doing this, Diana. Look at you: you can barely stand. Watch it!"
WW: "Hee hee, I've faaaaallen for you, Bruise! Geeeeeeetit?"
BM: "Yes, very clever. (How did she get so wound up in her own lasso?)"
WW: "Used it t'change inna somethin' sssssssssssexy. Just for you! Did it work?"
BM: "...Yes."
WW: "Alright, score! *urp* ...HoldonIgottathrowup."
BM: "My utility belt!"
T-REX: "ROOOOAAAR! I'm a dinosaur!"

Disclaimer: Diana is in no way a lush.

I asked a similar question in last month's thread but it was overlooked. I'm running out of shelf space and want to sell some unwanted trades. Is eBay the best site to do so? I'd also appreciate suggestions/tips for selling trades to maintain a stress-free experience.

Cheska

I asked a similar question in last month's thread but it was overlooked. I'm running out of shelf space and want to sell some unwanted trades. Is eBay the best site to do so? I'd also appreciate suggestions/tips for selling trades to maintain a stress-free experience.

Yep, eBay is a good venue for this. You can ship out media mail without having to go to the post office.

BUT

You should post in here a list of what you have to offer in case someone is interested ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom