• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

PsychBat!

Banned
latest

Sandfox

The art is okay, but the story is like poop going into your eyeballs.

I actually hated the art because everyone looks weird and the costume for the last page reveal wasn't that good looking IMO. The story did some things that I did not like as well which probably makes Spider-Gwen my least favorite ANAD book so far. This book just makes the wait for Silk even harder for me.

This week's reviews from me.

Ewing's New Avengers felt like Grant Morrison Lite, but didn't come together quite right/ i'll give it time.

Uncanny Avengers was still pretty bad, still such a sad sack team.

Captain America is someone finally delivering on the promise of Sam Wilson as Cap.

Spider-Man 2099 was all setup with little payoff until the end, like last week's Iron Man.

Batman was still the hotness. I'm really enjoying how the new Batman's world is coming together.

Ms. Marvel was a great coda for the book's first run. Not as emotional as Ewing's Mighty Avengers end, but still damn good.

Switch was very pretty, though I know little about the Darkness/Witchblade mythos.

Superman: Lois & Clark annoys me because the premise undermines classic Superman.

VanWinkle

Speaking of art, I'm reading Flash: Dastardly Death of the Rogues, and, I mean, my goodness is Francis Manapul a wonderful artist. I love his style.

Drayco21

The art is okay, but the story is like poop going into your eyeballs.

I don't think it's quite that bad, but I think it's easily the least compelling Spider-Family book Marvel's put out in a while. Spider-Man 2099 was a pretty mediocre start too, but the last volume was solid enough and I'm willing to trust Peter David. Here? I thought the last volume of Spider-Gwen never went anywhere either- it feels like they had a really strong character design, and managed to tap into something to create this really big fad character online, but they didn't actually know what they wanted to actually do with that character, and her book's really suffered for it.

It's kinda why I'm only interested in her as far as her interacting with the rest of the Spider-Family; I don't think they have any interesting stories to tell with her, and I think they've not done a great job building her own universe so far. Getting a new writer would probably help, but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

Started BPRD 1946. Read the prologue stuff and it seems pretty cool. Very interested in seeing more of Trevor's history.

Too tired to read now though so I'll have to continue tomorrow.

Vibranium

Banned
So I have to confess that I've never really read Preacher by Ennis, just started binging on Comixology, and man is it good. Dark humour/smart satire and it's really out there, which is great. Dillon's 90's look is absolutely perfect for the tone too. Cassidy is hilarious.

Tizoc

Wait what characters are IDW gonna be publishing for Disney?
Are any of the IDW books good right now? Or at all and at any point? I realized that Secret Identities was the last non-big two book I was reading, and I have a serious hard-on for some licensed/extended universe books that aren't Star Wars.

I do keep meaning to pick up Transformers.

Based on your stack, I think you'd enjoy Batman. Dunno if you've read any of his stories, but he has a lot of good ones.

Want me to repost the current TF comics reading order?

I don't know if it's just because I'm on my phone, but I can't see these pics. I'll trust you have a sweet collection.

Hmm...i posted them from mobile last night but now I see they're not working. I'll try again via imgur and see...

That's practically my Geoff Johns shelf. His JSA Omnibuses, Absolute GL Rebirth, Absolute GL Sinestro Corps War and Absolute Blackest Night as well as Flash Rebirth and Flashpoint and every tpb of the GL/GLC stuff from his run, including every Lantern book in the new 52 up to and including Wrath of the First Lantern, although Rise of the Third Army and Wrath's tpbs collect the line-wide issues in order.

Walt Simonson Orion Omnibus, Sandman and Lucifer Vol 1. Need to get moar Lucifer at some point, and I'm semi tempted by some nicer hardcover Sandmans but...money.

Absolute Crisis on Infinite Earths, Absolute Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis Omnibus, 52 Omnibus and Absolute Final Crisis. And two volumes of Fables :p

After seeing Korupt's video I feel I have a ways to go :p

Just read squirrel girl #1. Very fun. I liked it. Disliked the art a lot, though. Very subpar.

It drives me nuts (high-yooooooo) when I read people putting down Erica Henderson's art. Y'all get hung up that it's not all anatomically perfect and that you can't jerk off to her drawings of women. Y'all complaining her faces look goofy in a goddamn comedy book.

Henderson is a cartoonist, she's drawing to emphasize the comedy. The reason so many of Ryan North's jokes land is because Henderson is so great at drawing reactions. Goddamn it.

It drives me nuts (high-yooooooo) when I read people putting down Erica Henderson's art. Y'all get hung up that it's not all anatomically perfect and that you can't jerk off to her drawings of women. Y'all complaining her faces look goofy in a goddamn comedy book.

Henderson is a cartoonist, she's drawing to emphasize the comedy. The reason so many of Ryan North's jokes land is because Henderson is so great at drawing reactions. Goddamn it.

Believe me someone out there is jacking off to Squirrel Girl in that art style right as we speak.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Now you know how I feel as a fan of Sandoval and Ramos :p

Believe me someone out there is jacking off to Squirrel Girl in that art style right as we speak.

screen-shot-2015-01-09-at-9-45-46-am.png

I believe they introduce the Inhumans when they get to about 60 issues.

Oh yeah forgot about them, as they've been such a strong supporting part of Fantastic Four for a while now that they just seem to have been around since the start. I never realised how 'important' Fantastic Four was to setting up and introducing so many cosmic level characters. I guess they sort of introduced Namor too, or at least Sue flirted with him for an issue.

So Atlantis Rising is...well it's a clusterfuck. It started just fine with Namor, but then everyone else just shows up all at once. The Inhumans are split into three factions: the Genetics Council, Maximus' group, and the Royal family (who is gone for some reason). Then outside of that Thor shows up, plus the Fantastic Four AND Fantastic Force. Plus Nathaniel Richards is doing some shit.

Like damn. I enjoy a good multi-faction battle, but this is nonsensical.
Can't wait for Sinister Silk. She's the sinisterest.

Though I'm sure she isn't legit evil.
Naw she totes is. She'll be so evil that eventually she'll be put down by Frank Castle, who will no doubt eventually become an interesting character that fans can finally say something other than "but he kills bad guys though, man! I mean, look at how much gun he is!" every time I say I dislike the character.
Wait what characters are IDW gonna be publishing for Disney?

Want me to repost the current TF comics reading order?
I know what the order is, I just need to actually start reading.
Oh yeah forgot about them, as they've been such a strong supporting part of Fantastic Four for a while now that they just seem to have been around since the start. I never realised how 'important' Fantastic Four was to setting up and introducing so many cosmic level characters. I guess they sort of introduced Namor too, or at least Sue flirted with him for an issue.
FF has pretty much always been the defacto gateway franchise for cosmic Marvel. Though the X-Men had their bits with the Brood and Shi'ar.

Messi

Is it just me or is Spider-Gwen pretty meh? I read ANAD Gwen #1 and it still has the same problem as the last volume. The story is so mediocre that I just lose interest. Same thing that happened with DC's new Canary book. I WANT to like them. I like the characters, but these stories are too middling for my monies.

Yep, not a fan at all. All style no substance for me.

Hagi

I think I'm going to go to my first con. It's a three hour drive to Leeds but holy crap the guest list is stacked and I really want to meet and get some stuff signed by Remender/Craig and Snyder. There's so many other fantastic talent going to be there I think it'll be worth the drive.

http://thoughtbubblefestival.com/guests/

Hagi

That list is pretty damn impressive. Problem is Leeds. It's even further away for me.

Yeah that's a bit of an issue for me as well but fuck it I've drove to Manchester a few times and it's only like an extra half an hour. MCM Glasgow is the closest con to me but it's never appealed to me, this seems right up my alley. I'll probably just go for the Saturday because I work Sundays.

Haven't posted in the Comics thread for a while and I haven't been reading much the last few weeks but I just started catching up. Read Secret Wars #6 and just wanted to share that
Ben Grimm standing up
was the sickest thing I've seen this year. It got me pumped to read more comics.

yeah her work on SG is pretty damn good

i never see the artist from chew get this kind of criticism

Sadist

I think Kirkman ships what you're thinking and this excites and saddens me at the same time.
I always thought Rick would end up with Michonne in the end actually. Not that I mind the Rick and Andrea relationship, but I dunno; it seemed so random in retrospect. Yeah sure, they went through a lot together, but I never thought she would like Rick. I still miss Dale :(

Few years, eh? I guess when I was reading, I thought it had only been 6 months or so since the end of the war. It's Rick's knee that threw me. I figured it was still healing. But I guess with how big Carl's gotten, you're right, makes sense that it has been a few years.

I found myself having one of those unholy loving-Neegan moments when I watched his last interaction with Rick. I hate him for Glenn.. Always.. But he often makes a lot of sense. He sees Rick the way I do. That's creepy. Neegan was created for all the readers like me who don't like Rick. And in a way he's Rick's conscience now.

I used to love Michonne, but I haven't really understood her as a character for a long time. And I don't think Kirkman does either, frankly.

I've always said I'd stop reading if Andrea (or Carl) died. I hope I don't have to find if that's true.
Even if Negan is acurate in analyzing Rick's (or any person for that matter) character flaws, I don't think he acts as his conscience. Beneath his rough and "dumbish" exterior lies a master manipulator who can really crawl under your skin. When Carl went gungho on his men he tricked the little guy into showing his injury to the public and tried to get him to open up. Thing is, Carl didn't give because, well, he's Carl. It shows when the two speak to each other in the basement after the timeskip. Negan and Carl have those talks from time to time and Negan asks him "even after all this time, you still don't trust me?" To which Carl replies "No, I still want to kill you." Yes, Negan brings up a few fair points, but in the end people like Rick and Carl know when they hear bullshit. Doesn't mean Negan can't get them all riled up hehe.

As for Michonne, I don't think there is much to get. While on the outside and physicly she's in great shape, emotionally she never really recovered. She keeps guiltripping herself.

Yeah, quite a few passed.
Lydia and Carl are both 16. The other day Kirkman mentioned at the panel I attended that he intentionally left out the mundane and did that jump to the future. Their period of stability was much longer than you would think.
Oh wow, I imagined less actually.
So if I'm correct, that means about ten years have passed in the Walking Dead universe. Carl was about six years old when all of this started. I always thought Carl was about thirteen, maybe fourteen in the current series. Hmmm. Still kind of impressive if they kept the community running this long.

Why did none of y'all tell me Love & Rockets is so bloody awesome?
I am sure you did, but I wasn't paying attention before.

The art has such great use of shadows. And look at this one!

rgJFXVl.gif

Hardcover is usually a waste of money. It's silly to buy everything like that.

-_-

Ughhhhhhhhhhh Squirrel Girl might be one of my favorite reads overall now....this is just ridiculous. The art makes me think i dislike it but then it's so silly i can't help but continue.

Finally a book that meets sillymonkey's picky tastes high standards.

Just read squirrel girl #1. Very fun. I liked it. Disliked the art a lot, though. Very subpar.

I really love the art. It is memorable and suits the writing so damn well. One the few comics that actually makes me laugh out loud.

VanWinkle

I don't care how attractive the people are in it. That's a weird asumptuous to make. It's just not pleasing to look at and lacks detail, with many panels not showing much of anything beyond just the face/character. That's fine that you like it. I love cartoony styles too, like Darwyn Cooke. I just didn't think the art was very good in this.

Zombine

Banned
It's just not pleasing to look at and lacks detail, with many panels not showing much of anything beyond just the face/character

I've seen enough of her beautiful work up close and in person to know that this is a generalization and does not reflect the quality of her inks in the least.

VanWinkle

I've seen enough of her beautiful work up close and in person to know that this is a generalization and does not reflect the quality of her inks in the least.

I haven't seen anything else she's done so I'm not commenting on her skills as an artist overall. I'm strictly talking about my opinion on the first issue of squirrel girl, which is all I've read.

Hagi

I've been ill for the last couple of weeks and haven't really done much will all my free time so seeing as how I've got another week off I'm going to jump head first into the Mignolaverse. I've already got the first 3 library volumes and 2 hardcovers for B.P.R.D so that should keep me going for a minute. Total bummer that Dark Horse don't have any planes to reprint the B.P.R.D hardcovers anytime soon as 3 is nigh impossible to get without paying out of your arse, going to have to go paperback for that. :(

Looking forward to getting round to the 1940's collection and the book they did with Alex Maleev. Frankenstein comes out next month as well I think so that should be cool.

Honestly, while I can acknowledge that she's probably very good at what she does, Henderson's art does nothing for me. I gotta agree with Winkle.

Messi

While it's ok to not like her art I have a real problem with people who are dismissive about it. I don't like Frank Quietly art but I can see the quality and effort that goes into it. I also have a problem with people who refuse to acknowledge her arts effect on the script or the jokes in it. Several times jokes have hit in Squirrel Girl and I've been laughing just because of the face Doreen pulls as a reaction.

Squire

Banned
Honestly, while I can acknowledge that she's probably very good at what she does, Henderson's art does nothing for me. I gotta agree with Winkle.

Thirds. I tried SQ a couple weeks ago. Just not into it.

That's cool though. Not everything is for me.

While it's ok to not like her art I have a real problem with people who are dismissive about it. I don't like Frank Quietly art but I can see the quality and effort that goes into it. I also have a problem with people who refuse to acknowledge her arts effect on the script or the jokes in it. Several times jokes have hit in Squirrel Girl and I've been laughing just because of the face Doreen pulls as a reaction.

Im sure it's a fine contribution to the whole, but I personally wasn't hot on any aspect of SG. Seems like it's really taking off with fans of current cartoons in part and I'm also not into those, so it's no surprise.

But yeah, I can for myself it's definitely not that she's being singled out. I'm not gonna start buying the book if they bring on Paulo Rivera or something.

Top Bottom