• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Haven't had a comic book panel make me laugh so hard in a long time.

larfleeze-and-family.jpg

Wish I had the full page to show, Larfleeze is under an illusion where he has his family again and they're having Christmas.

Owzers

i don't like the liberal agenda being pushed by comics right now, when Trump is president I hope one of his first orders of business is to make comics great again.

VanWinkle

every piece of art or literature is created within a sociopolitical framework

everything is political. only when a work deviates from the established norm is it usually accused of being political.

out of the big heroes you could make the case Spider-Man is essentially apolitical although his problems or villains are likely so.

superman and cap america clearly push american sociopolitical ideology.

batman and iron man dont exist as they are without living in an imbalanced capitalist society

thor's whole deal is that hes the prince of asgard

so when a work isnt criticized for being political its because its mostly conformed to historical, demographic and social expectations.

Yeah, but the point is whether they tackle current political issues in an overt or clear way. Most of them don't. I personally don't want to read comics that do, either from a conservative or liberal ideology. Politics are so divided, and I feel very negative about the issues that create so much controversy. As such, I don't want those in my hobby, so I probably wouldn't read the new Captain America. I'm not going to attack the fact that it exists. They can do whatever they want with it.

So, yes, while all work is political in a broad sense, I don't think that's what people are talking about in relation to the new Cap.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yeah, but the point is whether they tackle current political issues in an overt or clear way. Most of them don't. I personally don't want to read comics that do, either from a conservative or liberal ideology. Politics are so divided, and I feel very negative about the issues that create so much controversy. As such, I don't want those in my hobby, so, from what I hear, I probably wouldn't read the new Captain America. I'm not going to attack the fact that it exists. They can do whatever they want with it.

So, yes, while all work is political in a broad sense, I don't think that's what people are talking about in relation to the new Cap.
Then dont read the book if you dont like it.

Owzers

i think we should boycott Marvel until Captain America gives a speech about why Obamacare is the worst thing since slavery. At the very least, considering the legacy of the character, talk about how there is a modern day Hitler in the White House.

Yeah, but the point is whether they tackle current political issues in an overt or clear way. Most of them don't. I personally don't want to read comics that do, either from a conservative or liberal ideology. Politics are so divided, and I feel very negative about the issues that create so much controversy. As such, I don't want those in my hobby, so I probably wouldn't read the new Captain America. I'm not going to attack the fact that it exists. They can do whatever they want with it.

Hell, some people will flip shit if Cap doesnt show the identical values they have so Im not really surprised some people are angry at this direction. I cant say anything of the book since I havent read it personally.

Im not really about the escapist life so 'political' comics are my shit. Good political works of art are like good arguments. They may not ultimately change my beliefs but at least they were worth reading and digesting its ideas. V for Vendetta is a great example. Then on the other hand you have something like Atlas Shrugged which was just bad.

Thankfully there are comics for every kind of interest.

You people are scoffing now, but someday in the near future when your children are cheering on a transgender communist Captain America, who refuses to adopt the military honorific because it props up the "jingoistic military/industrial complex raping the world's underprivileged countries for natural resources," and who eschews the red, white, and blue to avoid "supporting archaic ideals of blind patriotism and gross capitalism used for centuries by the nation's wealthy, predominantly white masters as weapons of genocide against minorities and the poor," you're going to wonder what became of the Captain America of your youth and cry because you could have stopped it.

You're going to think back on this petition and this moment and realize. :mad:

I'm really enjoying Jim Steranko's run with Agents of Shield/Nick Fury. It's a real highlight in these early Marvel issues, as the art work is so different and somewhat unique. It also feels like there's a stronger connection between writer and artist since Steranko is handling both duties.
This is the first time I've sat up and noticed a writer/artist combination, and look forward to see more of their (his) work.

These Olivia gifs are nauseating. I think I have to start blocking images on GAF.

I'm really enjoying Jim Steranko's run with Agents of Shield/Nick Fury. It's a real highlight in these early Marvel issues, as the art work is so different and somewhat unique. It also feels like there's a stronger connection between writer and artist since Steranko is handling both duties.
This is the first time I've sat up and noticed a writer/artist combination, and look forward to see more of their (his) work.

Is the omni that just came out Steranko?

Edit: Also, what is "Werewolf by night" and why is it the best selling book on instock?

Steranko is so amazing. Seems very likable too. He punched Bob Kane. True story

Steranko is so amazing. Seems very likable too. He punched Bob Kane. True story

That's good to know he stays around for a while, I'm a total beginner when it comes to appreciate artists and writers. However, I know I like Jim Steranko so far. Does he stay with Nicky Fury or branch out more? I don't really want to google in case I see things I'm not ready to see haha

Hagi

That's good to know he stays around for a while, I'm a total beginner when it comes to appreciate artists and writers. However, I know I like Jim Steranko so far. Does he stay with Nicky Fury or branch out more? I don't really want to google in case I see things I'm not ready to see haha

His strange tales stuff is his longest running Marvel work, besides Nick Fury he did a couple of issues on Captain America, X-men and some other miscellaneous stuff.

Recently read Bloodspell and liked it a lot. It feels like a great episode of JLU. It did feel short. I enjoy it when books come with behind the scenes material but all those pages made me think I was gonna have a longer read!

Joe Quinones's faces are top notch. He's approaching Kevin Maguire levels of greatness here. I think he's got a bit more progession to make when it comes to paneling and shot choice. He tends to revert angles without changing the position of the characters or where theyre looking. It reads a little oddly sometimes because of that. I havent seen those same issues in Howard the Duck so maybe he's shook those tendencies off already.

His depictions of women are great too. He consistently draws these characters different from each other. No sameface syndrome here.

His Marvel catalogue isnt that big. Enjoy whats there haha

He also designed that iconic X-Men logo

Hagi

Has anyone read the Earth One Teen Titans book? i haven't really read any of those books before. I'm going to get the Wonder Woman one next year so thought why not try some of those other ones.

Has anyone read the Earth One Teen Titans book? i haven't really read any of those books before. I'm going to get the Wonder Woman one next year so thought why not try some of those other ones.

It's a fun, quick read that will leave you wanting more.

Owzers

y4knJl.gif

Let's not start talking about less Olivia gifs. I'm going to figure out how to both properly make and post them soon and then what? ^^ first attempt not going smoothly....

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Oh god oh god, every scene with Osborn is so fantastic.

My fucking good, why has nobody given Ellis a Spider-Man/Goblin book? Marvel execs must be stupid.

VanWinkle

I've only read the Batman one so far, but its great.

Vibranium

Banned

Steranko is a badass in real life too, so he's a perfect fit for classic Fury. I wish Marvel would let him write for Nick again. Set it during the 60's to avoid the Watcher stuff.

Him and Ennis are the definitive runs on the character.

Owzers

Amazing Spider-Man #10, spideyverse issue, the one where the editor jokes about following a team in another book because they did it three times on two pages.....yeah, ha-ha-haha. Was the Spider-Woman or Scarlet Spiders spiderverse stuff great? Even though there is no additional cost i don't think i want to read all these books.

Neol

Amazing Spider-Man #10, spideyverse issue, the one where the editor jokes about following a team in another book because they did it three times on two pages.....yeah, ha-ha-haha. Was the Spider-Woman or Scarlet Spiders spiderverse stuff great? Even though there is no additional cost i don't think i want to read all these books.

I wouldn't say there great but there fun to read nonetheless and it gives a decent amount of additional stuff to the whole story. Just the interactions between all the female spider characters in Spider-Woman is enjoyable and Scarlet Spiders has a cool team-up too.

Basically is you want more spider heroes interactions I say go for it.

Messi

Spider-woman only became good after Spider-verse ended.

Top Bottom