• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Protip, don't look up Invisibles Omnibuses on YouTube and stumble across the best backmatter you've ever seen and then look over at the digital trades you just bought

Tizoc

People should quit asking questions and just buy all that Morrison goodness. His JLA run is fantastic but has IMHO the weakest Howard Porter art. It does have its moments though.

tim1138

People should quit asking questions and just buy all that Morrison goodness. His JLA run is fantastic but has IMHO the weakest Howard Porter art. It does have its moments though.

It's crazy how much better Porter is after having to relearn how to draw

How is the current Green Arrow run?

The solicits we've seen for Marvel so far are taking the books in directions I like so I'm happy there. I'm also curious to see how the new Gotham Academy arc unfolds.

Resounding "meh" on Green Arrow. I'm dropping it.

EDIT: Ooh, Morrison sale. I should really get on that, most of my knowledge of his stuff comes from tvtropes...

Already own a lot of his DC comics, guess I should take the plunge on Seven Soldiers.

Also recommend Doom Patrol, it's his best comic that I've read by far.

I'm ignoring Poodle's shameful comment about Morrison because I like him a lot and I trust he will buy some good comics in this sale.

Currently eyeing:

Seven Soldiers
Final Crisis
Flex Mentallo
Doom Patrol
Any of his Bat-stuff I haven't read yet
JLA

Just need to make sure I have the dough :p

Owzers

Previews Update page now has Batwoman Bombshell releasing 10/28 despite it not being on the upcoming 10/28 page. Which page to believe in?

VanWinkle

I'm so glad I just got my hardcover of Final Crisis in the mail yesterday. I bought from Amazon for $4 after shipping (used in like new condition)! I prefer physical books (well, I prefer written novels in ebook form and graphic novels/comics in physical form) AND I saved a dollar over the cost of it in the sale! Win win.

I don't know when I'll get around to reading it, but still.

I'm currently reading Batman Incorporated and love it.

I ended up buying Batman Inc, Seven Soldiers of Victory books one and two, and JLA volume 1, by the way. I think when I get paid on Wednesday I'll buy three or so more. Maybe the last three volumes of JLA but I don't know.

Kurtofan

bought:

batman and robin

batman incorporated

doom patrol

seven soldiers

superman

I kinda hope next week's sale is going to be shit cause my poor wallet :(

I'm so glad I just got my hardcover of Final Crisis in the mail yesterday. I bought from Amazon for $4 after shipping (used in like new condition)! I prefer physical books (well, I prefer written novels in ebook form and graphic novels/comics in physical form) AND I saved a dollar over the cost of it in the sale! Win win.

I don't know when I'll get around to reading it, but still.

I'm currently reading Batman Incorporated and love it.

I ended up buying Batman Inc, Seven Soldiers of Victory books one and two, and JLA volume 1, by the way. I think when I get paid on Wednesday I'll buy three or so more. Maybe the last three volumes of JLA but I don't know.

I would strongly recommend Doom Patrol. One of the best superhero comics I've ever read. And the great thing is, it needs zero prior knowledge of the characters and doesn't tie into anything else.

It's just $30 on CMX now. They are releasing three new tradepaperbacks for $30 each soon. But even at 50% off, that's $45 for the whole run.

VanWinkle

I would strongly recommend Doom Patrol. One of the best superhero comics I've ever read. And the great thing is, it needs zero prior knowledge of the characters and doesn't tie into anything else.

It's just $30 on CMX now. They are releasing three new tradepaperbacks for $30 each soon. But even at 50% off, that's $45 for the whole run.

I might buy the first volume. For one I won't go above my $15 budget I've set, and also it would be too risky to buy six volumes of something when I don't know how much I'll like it. If I end up enjoying it, I will buy those three new trades down the line.

I think I'm a bit jaded since watching JW but I'm trying hard to not get hyped up. I'm afraid they'll be trying to make it too much like the OT by pushing the nostalgia aspect hard. I want them to forge their own story in the vein of Star Wars rather than just be a retread. I kind of rolled my eyes at the somber music on Tatooine because it's trying so hard to evoke Luke's story with a new character, and then the battle over the planet I can only assume is Hoth, the Darth Vader helmet, the old cast, etc...

While it's cool to have a link the original trilogy I hope they just don't lean on it too hard and it finds its own identity. I didn't find JW to be a bad movie but I couldn't get past how hard they were pushing nostalgia, but also at the same time they devolved it into
dinobattles!
instead of trying to explore themes like how they explored Chaos Theory (admittedly shallow) & character relationships (specifically between Grant & the kids) in the first film.

I don't doubt that it's great, but seriously: that sort of thing is not good for me. I get depressed for weeks. It's an utterly miserable experience.

Always been that way, from when I was reading The Giver and The Earth Abides way the hell back in elementary school.

It has a happy ending, just a sad road to get there. It's like a more violent Don Bluth movie.

The story is pretty light on the plot, focusing mainly on getting the emotional message through. Quietly does a fantastic job on the art and paneling.

Xis

I don't doubt that it's great, but seriously: that sort of thing is not good for me. I get depressed for weeks. It's an utterly miserable experience.

Ditto here; just one glance at We3 lets me know this is a big "nope" for me.

When I finished Y: The Last Man, I was seriously bummed for at least a week.

tim1138

But dog is gud

tumblr_md3we06z9B1ru1hc6o1_400.jpg

Afrodium

Banned

What's this now? Doom Partol is being rerelease don three volumes? When are they releasing?

tim1138

Typically all Marvel exclusive deals mean anymore is that they can't write for DC. Lemire is Marvel exclusive and dude still writes for Image, Valiant, and Dark Horse

VanWinkle

I don't know why I haven't talked about it in my reading of the Planetary Omnibus, but man, John Cassaday's art in there is just incredible. Anytime I turn to a full page or double page spread, I am just in awe.

Really really amazing artist.

What's this now? Doom Partol is being rerelease don three volumes? When are they releasing?

Listed for release on Feb 17th. #19-#34 is 1/3rd of the run.

DOOM PATROL BOOK ONE TP
Written by GRANT MORRISON
Art by RICHARD CASE, JOHN NYBERG and others
Cover by BRIAN BOLLAND
On sale FEBRUARY 17 • 424 pg, FC, $29.99 US • MATURE READERS
In these tales from DOOM PATROL #19-34, the world’s strangest heroes have left behind almost every vestige of normality. Shunned as freaks and outcasts, the Doom Patrol faces mystifying threats that must be defeated—at any cost. These are the epics that introduced Rebis, Crazy Jane, Dorothy Spinner, the Brotherhood of Dada and more!

Top Bottom