• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Close to finishing the FF portion of Simonson FF's first Epic. There seems to be a lot of extra material collected from annuals - part of some 'Days of Future Present' event. Is that something I should read in it's entirety to understand?
Days of Future Present is great, but it gets pretty confusing

Hagi

list time?

Batman And Robin Eternal #4
Black Magick #1
Angela Queen Of Hel #1
Captain America Sam Wilson #2
Chewbacca #2
Howling Commandos Of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1
Silk Volume 0 The Life And Times Of Cindy Moon

Did not know Black Magick was out next week, awesome.

Mudcrab

Capullo DKIII Variant:

v1rIsDI.jpg

ElNarez

Banned
Even Ellis couldn't bring me around on Karnak. I found the book super boring. Dropped.

Karnak's biggest problem is just how fucking strong a statement Moon Knight #1 was. It's never gonna be that again, and it's not trying to be.

It's pretty fucking good comics, still. It uses what it has for great effect.

Strange Tales has finished up in the reading order, and what a crazy way to end Nick Fury's story with the Yellow Claw.
It was all a chess game against Dr. Doom?!

Messi

List

Batgirl #45
Batman and Robin #4
Grayson #13
Prez #5
Robin Son of Batman #5

Black Magick #1
IX Generation #6
Rumble #8
They're not like us #9

Angela Queen of Hel #1
Captain Liberal: Sam Wilson #2
Chewbacca #2
House of M #4
Howling Commandos of Shield #1
New Avengers #2
Spider-Man 2099 #2
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #1
Where Monsters Dwell #5

Trades:
The Complete Love Hurts
Spectacular Scumbag Silk Vol 00 : life and times of Cindy Moon

Statues:
Bombshell Catwoman
Bombshell Batwoman

List? Placed a nice eBay order this week.

Rucka The Hiketeia (!)
Simonson Judas Coin
Chaykin/Mignola Ironwolf
Kirby's OMAC
Simon and Kirby Sandman
Simon and Kirby Boy Commandos

Days of Future Present is great, but it gets pretty confusing

Yeah, I peeked ahead a little and it seems to have characters I have never even heard of.

Tizoc

I'm trying to get people over the Steam thread to drop cash on dat comic bundle.
Let's see if I can sell them on Sunstone.

List? Placed a nice eBay order this week.

Rucka The Hiketeia (!)
Simonson Judas Coin
Chaykin/Mignola Ironwold
Kirby's OMAC
Simon and Kirby Sandman
Simon and Kirby Boy Commandos

Yeah, I peeked ahead a little and it seems to have characters I have never even heard of.

Now THAT'S a good book, IIRC it was Rucka's first time writing Wondy for DC and he wrote her fantastically
also features Batman who Wondy manages to take on and put him in his place.
Funnily enough I wonder if Rucka doesn't like Batman a lot, I mean he WOULD write him well but it seems he takes what chance he gets just to belittle Bats, prob. due to his popularity

Also I need to get Kirby's OMAC already =_=

Capullo DKIII Variant:

I'm starting to wonder how late the actual pages for DKIII were. So far every single variant has no trace of the actual contents, just tributes to DKR. They've promoted this book for like months and only just released (uncolored!!!) pages like a week ago.

Someone call Kotaku.

grayson and gotham academy are great too. though the latter is probably a bit too 'young adult' for some.

i haven't read justice league yet, might collect the trades if they're good.

Afrodium

Banned
Just wrapped up All-Star Superman and I really do need to head out the door to work, but I'll have some thoughts to type up later. Definitely a book I need to reread at some point. Not exactly "mind expanding" in the same way other stuff I've read has been, but just about the most perfect story execution I've ever seen.

Well that was certainly fast. Weren't you contemplating picking it up just last night? Looking forward to your write-up.

gabbo

<holy lists of comics batman>

If I wanted to jump back in to DC (have been mostly Marvel and Image since getting back into comics, - outside the N52 Animal Man), are there any essential books I should read? I have no allegiance to any one character - hell, I would prefer teams or second tier heroes, the books tend to be more interesting

Bombshell Catwoman
Bombshell Batwoman

oh, so she did pop up on Diamond's list for next week, huh?

Man, I already spent $175 this week on DC statues. More incoming, I guess. and my Black Canary bishoujo should be shipping from Japan next week.

I think I need to sell off a bunch of my animu figures at this point. I have too many!

If I wanted to jump back in to DC (have been mostly Marvel and Image since getting back into comics, - outside the N52 Animal Man), are there any essential books I should read? I have no allegiance to any one character - hell, I would prefer teams or second tier heroes, the books tend to be more interesting

Demon Knights! A fun series (with a team of second tier heroes).

Other than that, these are all great and you can start at #1.

Batman & Robin
Wonder Woman
Gotham Academy

Messi

I wouldn't say the same books as most but ill try.

Batman
Batman and Robin
Harley Quinn
Starfire
Batwoman (start with Rucka's Elegy pre new 52)
Grayson
Gotham Academy
Wonder Woman (Azz and Chiang)
Catwoman (start with trade vol 6 by Valentine, ignore the rest pre vol 6)
Batgirl (start with simones new 52 run or just try the much lighter recent reboot that has a vol 1)
Secret Six
Martian Manhunter
Omega Men

thats a pretty nice list

Pick up this book: Black Canary and Zatanna: Bloodspell by Dini and Quinones. Its a great graphic novel.

Hagi

Oh god

BQWultL.png

Ill do anything. I don't care that she doesn't look like her. She can act and do dramatic moments well.

In a world where people are throwing around suggestions like Ronda Rousey I wouldn't be opposed to this at all. Emily Blunt for life though.

I'll be surprised if Captain Marvel is even out before 2025 .

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
List!

BLACK MAGICK #1
CHEW #51
MANIFEST DESTINY #5
MANIFEST DESTINY #18

In a world where people are throwing around suggestions like Ronda Rousey I wouldn't be opposed to this at all. Emily Blunt for life though.

I'll be surprised if Captain Marvel is even out before 2025 .

Anything would be better than that little troll Rousey. I'll even take Betty White if she is still alive by then.

Grayson

El Topo

I've had enough of that in my life, thanks. I don't think
anyone I like is even left alive at this point. Just a bunch of shitbags

Actually not much has happened since you-know-what. The issues gave some interesting insight into various characters though. As much as I expected the comic to fall apart, it's really grown on me since then. They've done a great job at making the characters more likeable and/or relatable.

I'm trying to get people over the Steam thread to drop cash on dat comic bundle.
Let's see if I can sell them on Sunstone.

Now THAT'S a good book, IIRC it was Rucka's first time writing Wondy for DC and he wrote her fantastically
Funnily enough I wonder if Rucka doesn't like Batman a lot, I mean he WOULD write him well but it seems he takes what chance he gets just to belittle Bats, prob. due to his popularity

Rucka loves Batman. There are things he doesn't necessarily care for about Batman comics and would love to see change I think, but Rucka definitely loves Batman. Comics Alliance's Chris Sims did an amazing three-part interview a while back with Greg, where they talk about his experiences writing Batman comics from No Man's Land all the way through to Gotham Central and beyond, and he shares his insights into Batman.

http://comicsalliance.com/greg-rucka-batman-interview-career-retrospective-part-one/
http://comicsalliance.com/paid-for-...flects-on-his-batman-work-part-two-interview/
http://comicsalliance.com/batman-greg-rucka-gotham-central-interview-retrospective-part-three/

Bonus Rucka interviews on The Question:

http://comicsalliance.com/greg-rucka-renee-montoya-question-interview/
http://comicsalliance.com/greg-rucka-question-renee-montoya-interview-part-two/

tim1138

Midnighter

I loved the book. Though I don't see it as
Rucka belittling Batman. It felt in character for Batman to find the best and smartest solution without having to fight his friend.

Hagi

Current Teen Titans yes or no? i read some of the last run where it was like Battle Royale but underground and it was okay.

Tizoc

I loved the book. Though I don't see it as
Rucka belittling Batman. It felt in character for Batman to find the best and smartest solution without having to fight his friend.

Yeah but
Bats was still a jerk throughout :p

Rucka loves Batman. There are things he doesn't necessarily care for about Batman comics and would love to see change I think, but Rucka definitely loves Batman. Comics Alliance's Chris Sims did an amazing three-part interview a while back with Greg, where they talk about his experiences writing Batman comics from No Man's Land all the way through to Gotham Central and beyond, and he shares his insights into Batman.

http://comicsalliance.com/greg-rucka-batman-interview-career-retrospective-part-one/
http://comicsalliance.com/paid-for-...flects-on-his-batman-work-part-two-interview/
http://comicsalliance.com/batman-greg-rucka-gotham-central-interview-retrospective-part-three/

Bonus Rucka interviews on The Question:

http://comicsalliance.com/greg-rucka-renee-montoya-question-interview/
http://comicsalliance.com/greg-rucka-question-renee-montoya-interview-part-two/

Will read these tomorrow at work thanks mate.
Actually I think I misworded or used the wrong term when describing how Rucka wrote Bats so I apologize for that.
I also keep forgetting he wrote No man's land.

Hmm... essential, huh?

Most of the top stuff already got named, honestly. Messi's list is damn solid. Are you only looking for recent stuff or would older titles work too? No DC reading is complete without Gotham Central, for instance.

VanWinkle

Bought a couple of clearance graphic novels at BAM. Don't know how good they are. Ultimate Avengers volume one hardcover, which was $6.97, and The Hypernaturals volume one trade from BOOM Studios written by Dan Abnett, which was $4.97. I bought that based off the writer, and the art looked good, and it just looked kind of interesting.

I read the Hypernaturals a couple of years ago, I think I got it on sale. It is basically an updated version of Abnett's Legion of Super Heroes with some other junk tacked on. There is even a robot guy with a level 12 intelligence just like Brainiac 5. It's not bad, but it's not great either.

Top Bottom