• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

VanWinkle

I read the Hypernaturals a couple of years ago, I think I got it on sale. It is basically an updated version of Abnett's Legion of Super Heroes with some other junk tacked on. There is even a robot guy with a level 12 intelligence just like Brainiac 5. It's not bad, but it's not great either.

Ah that's cool. I'm fine with it not being fantastic or anything. If it had been full price I may feel different but that's alright with me.

Hagi

It had good art, at least the stuff by Rocafort, but it was bland otherwise. Dropped it quickly. Wouldn't recommend it.

hmm that's a shame DC has a lot of characters I like but hardly any books with them I find worth reading. I might try it out anyway just to see what's what.

VanWinkle

I wouldn't say the same books as most but ill try.

Batman
Batman and Robin
Harley Quinn
Starfire
Batwoman (start with Rucka's Elegy pre new 52)
Grayson
Gotham Academy
Wonder Woman (Azz and Chiang)
Catwoman (start with trade vol 6 by Valentine, ignore the rest pre vol 6)
Batgirl (start with simones new 52 run or just try the much lighter recent reboot that has a vol 1)
Secret Six
Martian Manhunter
Omega Men

thats a pretty nice list

Pick up this book: Black Canary and Zatanna: Bloodspell by Dini and Quinones. Its a great graphic novel.

Also Justice League, Aquaman, and Action Comics. And probably a bunch more. DC has so much good stuff.

Actually not much has happened since you-know-what. The issues gave some interesting insight into various characters though. As much as I expected the comic to fall apart, it's really grown on me since then. They've done a great job at making the characters more likeable and/or relatable.

oh, no. I've kept up with the series, and while the revelations were interesting enough, there's
no one left that I care about, so none of it really makes a difference to me.

Rucka loves Batman. There are things he doesn't necessarily care for about Batman comics and would love to see change I think, but Rucka definitely loves Batman. Comics Alliance's Chris Sims did an amazing three-part interview a while back with Greg, where they talk about his experiences writing Batman comics from No Man's Land all the way through to Gotham Central and beyond, and he shares his insights into Batman.

http://comicsalliance.com/greg-rucka-batman-interview-career-retrospective-part-one/
http://comicsalliance.com/paid-for-...flects-on-his-batman-work-part-two-interview/
http://comicsalliance.com/batman-greg-rucka-gotham-central-interview-retrospective-part-three/
Love Rucka interviews,thanks for these!
I prefer Batman when he's in background character or depicted as some kind of myth or whatever or at the very least has other heroes to interact with,otherwise if I get to see under the hood so to speak,he becomes boring to me .To be fair I've only read parts of Capullo's series but I don't think the character's all that fundamentally different in other solo books.
I digged Zero Year arc,read the last issue of Death in the family because I wanted my Batgirl conclusion.This one I didn't like because everyone from Batfamily except Batman were turned into jobbers so Bruce could save the day.Then I read Endgame arc after hype from rl friend,the first 2 issues were kind of fanfic tier for me with the JL members but liked the rest.
Same problem as in Dotf,but not sure if the problem was actually making Batman overpowered enough to beat them or the fact that Joker was even able to pull off the whole mind control or w/e virus on everyone.Either way,it was eye-roll worthy to me
So yeah,I liked him and Joker way more in Gotham Central (and the animated Batman/JL series).

Also that Sasha character was never revived for 52 in some other fashion,right?From the interview it seemed like a cool concept for a character and even made sense,but I can't remember if Bruce is even part of Wayne corp anymore to make it work now.

Falchion

Tim just reads a lot. If he is not reading comics, you see he is reading novels and other books with his GoodRead statuses.

Wow, totally didn't realize that GoodReads had comics all the way down to single issues. I've been using it for my reading for a while but had never thought to look for comics. Thanks for the heads up.

Hagi

I read novels, too.

Though I'm usually doing literally anything else but reading comics. Well, I'm more likely to read comics than watch anime.

I'm more likely to be on the internet than reading comic, reading books, watching tv shows, playing games at this point. Been stuck in a major rut since the end of summer. :/

I'd really like to fly through Aftermath for instance but have zero energy for it.

Karnak's biggest problem is just how fucking strong a statement Moon Knight #1 was. It's never gonna be that again, and it's not trying to be.

It's pretty fucking good comics, still. It uses what it has for great effect.

You know, this is not an unfair point. For me it is more about the difference between the characters, though; there is more material to mine from Moon Knight in my opinion, and mine it he did. Karnak has always been one of my least favorite characters in comics...I recognized the glimmers of Ellis Magic while I was reading it, but it just wasn't enough to bring me around on the character. Moon Knight #1 stands head and shoulders above Karnak #1 not just because Ellis was on fire but because it was Moon Knight. Ellis certainly laid down some heat in Karnak #1 but it wasn't enough. Every time Karnak opened his mouth I wanted to close the book and never pick it up again. It was a real effort to finish it.

I found it pretty predictable too, from beginning to end nothing surprised me. Not so with Moon Knight.

Messi

WADA WADA WADA WADA WADA

extraxm2015002-wadavariant-covcol-156390.jpg

Afrodium

Banned
Man, Weirdworld was great until it remembered it was a tie-in at the last moment.

"Well, look at the time. The event is over, none of this mattered, please by the new series. Thx."

ReAxion

Vader is supposed to be excellent, with most of the rest being good. The only real stinker is apparently Leia.

Confirmed. Still reading Vader here, dropped Leia after 2 or 3.

Man, Weirdworld was great until it remembered it was a tie-in at the last moment.

"Well, look at the time. The event is over, none of this mattered, please by the new series. Thx."

That's a shame. A standout among standouts.

What post John's/Tomasi GL are good series to pick up? Looking at Guardians, GL, Sinestro, Red Lanterns and GLC #21* & onwards. I'm interested in Red Lanterns (with Soule I think it is) & Sinestro, wonder if it's worth picking up.

Hagi

She was my fave character so far.

She's not terrible at all, if you liked her in New Hope you'll like her more in the other two. Her interactions with Han are the best. The book isn't even shit it is just kinda there. They should have waited and done something with her between Empire and Return of the Jedi.

Boogiepop

Oh, so I finished the BPRD: 1946-1948 omnibus and BPRD: Vampire. So... Vampire should've totally been part of that omnibus as it's absolutely the resolution to at least the 1947-1948 parts. Hell, it honestly fits better than 1946. But oh well, all good stuff. (Also halfway through Being Human, and then I'll jump back to finishing off the Plague of Frogs omnibi by reading 4).

Also... why the heck does BPRD: Vampire have a "1" on the spine? When there's no indication that there should be a "2" coming to go with it?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Are the new Star Wars comics by Marvel any good?

Any impressions?

Vader is pretty great. The main book is pretty good. I really liked Kanan - The Last Padawan, but it helps if you watch Star Wars Rebels. Haven't gotten to Leia or Lando yet. Chewbacca 1 was a lot of set up, it's hard to tell how good it will be.

I've been in a real Star Wars-y mood lately. The Battlefield beta kicked it off in me hardcore.

Mindwipe

There's a new Top Cow Humble Bundle, and its pretty good. Although it should be subtitled "shit Mindwipe and Messi already own edition."

gabbo

Hmm... essential, huh?

Most of the top stuff already got named, honestly. Messi's list is damn solid. Are you only looking for recent stuff or would older titles work too? No DC reading is complete without Gotham Central, for instance.

Doesn't have to be. I stopped reading comics for years (DC was my go to) around the same time the Grant Morrison rebranded JLA, and Young Justice was introduced. So really anything between then and now (minus Kingdom Come, which I have)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Netflix is finally available here.

You click on things and it...goes. in HD.

What sorcery is this? :eek:

Yes I know I sound like a mormon

Top Bottom