• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Watching Justice League makes me happy, but also sad. The happiness comes from the show itself. The sadness comes from the fact that action cartoons aren't as popular with networks anymore, and therefore none of them last for very long. The Star Wars ones have been doing alright, and I'm trying to get through CW, but I'm just not a fan of that CGI animation. Partially why I dropped TMNT, despite the fact that I also found that to be quite good. Young Justice, Beware the Batman, and Green Lantern: The Animated Series all cancelled real early into their life cycle. The Legend of Korra was great, but nothing has really matched it yet for me (besides YJ) as far as recent shows go (JLU and ATLA will always be my go to favorites). Though that's primarily due to my preference of 2D over CG animation than anything. What's worse is that cartoons with action in them tend to lean much more heavily towards comedy.

Just makes me sad, y'know? Anime really hasn't sated my appetite in this aspect. There's a crapload of action anime, but I really just want some good western action cartoons, man. Maybe I'm missing something. I sound like an old man when I don't mean to.
creepy4.gif

Oh fuck you

I watched Jurassic World tonight, and I don't know what you guys are talking about. I liked it.

Also, Bryce Dallas Howard is a hottie. Especially when she's all covered in lady sweat.

Jurassic World is great; it was a fun romp. I certainly enjoyed it more than the first two sequels.

On another note, I just booked my tickets for Star Wars! :D Opening day V-max! This pleases me.

tim1138

While I think I still prefer Batman and Robin so far, Batman Inc. is amazing. It's like a love letter to all things Batman and it rules.

Batman Inc is my favorite Batman thing ever for that very reason. Morrison's entire run is that love letter to the entire history of the caped crusader, but Inc distills it down to those perfect 24 or so issues. Are you reading the Absolute edition? It is totally worth it for the redone art.

I watched Jurassic World tonight, and I don't know what you guys are talking about. I liked it.

Also, Bryce Dallas Howard is a hottie. Especially when she's all covered in lady sweat.

Can't argue with the second bit but I just didn't enjoy it at all. Actually I did like the part
where they find the old foyer from the original
but that's pretty much it.

Messi

The first arc was solid, but then I gradually started to lose interest. Though it has been picking up again as of late. That's not to say it doesn't have a few serious issues.

Yeah like the end of issue 11. Fuck them.

That said I liked Tula Lotays issue and will buy Leila del Lucas issue.

Zombine

Banned

It's too freaking long. I mean yeah, it's the second best Jurassic Park next to the first, but I don't think that's a large hurdle to get over.

Hagi

Iron Man was great, full of that glorious Bendis dialogue. I picked up Clean Room and uh wow it's weird and completely up my street. Good comic book day.

It's too freaking long. I mean yeah, it's the second best Jurassic Park next to the first, but I don't think that's a large hurdle to get over.

Haha. The sequels did set the bar rather low. I hope now that the series has been freed from the trappings of the Park environment, future sequels will be more "adventurous" and explore new ground.

Just wrapped up All-Star Superman and I really do need to head out the door to work, but I'll have some thoughts to type up later. Definitely a book I need to reread at some point. Not exactly "mind expanding" in the same way other stuff I've read has been, but just about the most perfect story execution I've ever seen.

Iron Man was great, full of that glorious Bendis dialogue. I picked up Clean Room and uh wow it's weird and completely up my street. Good comic book day.

Can you tell me a little more about Clean Room? What is the basic premise? The synopsis didn't offer much.

Hagi

Can you tell me a little more about Clean Room? What is the basic premise? The synopsis didn't offer much.

It follows a reporter whose husband committed suicide after reading a book from what I assume a cult leader. That's the basic outline of the issue but there's some weird shit thrown into the mix as well. I really liked it.

It follows a reporter whose husband committed suicide after reading a book from what I assume a cult leader. That's the basic outline of the issue but there's some weird shit thrown into the mix as well. I really liked it.

It sounds intriguing, I'll grab the first issue. The art looked great in the few pages I've seen.

Squire

Banned
I read the first arc of Busiek's Avengers. He's already won points with me for making Wanda more of the center of the story as opposed to taking a shit on her forehead. I like how
#4 sets up Carol's alcoholism.

Pretty sure these are the only two I'm getting today, so glad to hear.

Hagi

It sounds intriguing, I'll grab the first issue. The art looked great in the few pages I've seen.

The art is really good, hope you like the first issue.

Pretty sure these are the only two I'm getting today, so glad to hear.

I picked up Darth Vader, Spider-man and 2/3 of Batman and Robin Eternal but haven't got round to reading them yet. Can't say I'm interested in any of the other Marvel books that are starting this week. Still a good week for me volume 2 of Thor came today so looking forward to diving into that.

That Grant Morrison sale's decent. I haven't read the end of his Batman run yet. Finished Batman and Robin but stopped there. Is it just the last three Batman Inc books to finish it?

That Grant Morrison sale's decent. I haven't read the end of his Batman run yet. Finished Batman and Robin but stopped there. Is it just the last three Batman Inc books to finish it?

Yes, the Batman Inc trades close out Morrison's Batman run. You might also be interested in the Return of Bruce Wayne, if you want to see what happened to Bruce after Final Crisis and before his return in Batman and Robin.

Hellers

Does anyone know if it`s possible in Comixology on Android to save your comics onto the SD card? I`m looking to switch out my Nexus 7 for something with a microSD slot and I want to make sure it`s possible first.

Does anyone know if it`s possible in Comixology on Android to save your comics onto the SD card? I`m looking to switch out my Nexus 7 for something with a microSD slot and I want to make sure it`s possible first.

I don't think it is unfortunately. I was looking at a Samsung tablet for exactly that purpose.

Owzers

booooo. Although yes, i did like Howard somewhat, I think they should have given her better business-sided scenes. I still hold a grudge over having several scenes where the older brother just ogles girls, i don't think they had to repeat the scene over and over again to get the point across. I disliked every character basically.

VanWinkle

I'm finding it really hard to follow Batman Incorporated, and its frustrating me. I'm on page 104, so close to halfway through. It just jumps all over the place with zero reference points to time, place, or reason. I come upon what feels like partial scenes for something completely unrelated, like the editor accidentally put a few pages from a different comic in there.

I don't know, maybe it will make sense by the time it is finished. I know the general gist is batman looking for international recruits, but they rarely talk xbout that. I've come across something going on with Batwoman for a few issues now but I have no idea what it has to do with anything.

Edit: actually just a few pages after I said that, some connections have been made to previously random things. So that's good.

Nope. Hate it too because I have like 11gb free on my tablet and 60 GB on my microSD card, but there's no way to store them on the microSD. Really stinks. I have to delete most things after reading them, which I really don't want to do.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Oh good. I thought I was the only one here who liked it.

I didn't love it. But I also didn't leave the theater feeling like I had wasted my money.

I'm in the mood for some podcasts before bed. Can anyone recommend a good comic-related podcast?

11 O'Clock Comics and iFanboy are my two favorite.

Comixology creator interviews are also pretty cool. Their regular podcast is mostly just fluff though.

Mindwipe

I'm in the mood for some podcasts before bed. Can anyone recommend a good comic-related podcast?

I know Kevin Smith is somewhat an acquired taste, but if you've not listened to Fatman on Batman it's great. It's a series of interviews with notable Batman creators about their work.

I have a theory:

The quality of any given issue of Doctor Fate is directly proportional to the number of crazy trippy Egyptian themed panels contained within, and inversely proportional to the number of word bubbles Khalid spends whining about not knowing what to do.

This issue has like 2 of the former, and way, way too many of the latter.

Yeah.

I'm sticking with it 'til the end of the arc, though. Art is less shaky than at the start, and the back-and-forth between Khalid and the helmet is promising.

Messi

So let's say I haven't read any new 52 justice league but I love Manapuls art and want to try getting into justice league/DCs wider narrative leading to Darkseid war. What books are recommended to read so I am not totally lost. I only read Batfamily DC books and a few edge case books like Black Canary.

Also can someone explain Titans Hunt and what I need to read to read that.

Batman Inc is my favorite Batman thing ever for that very reason. Morrison's entire run is that love letter to the entire history of the caped crusader, but Inc distills it down to those perfect 24 or so issues. Are you reading the Absolute edition? It is totally worth it for the redone art.
I'm reading it digitally off Comixology since it was so cheap. I do want the Absolute edition though. I'm sure it looks great.
I read the first arc of Busiek's Avengers. He's already won points with me for making Wanda more of the center of the story as opposed to taking a shit on her forehead. I like how
#4 sets up Carol's alcoholism.

Busiek writes a great Wanda. I only read the first ~20 issues but I really enjoyed it. The narration boxes can be a bit excessive at points but it's still really good.

tim1138

So let's say I haven't read any new 52 justice league but I love Manapuls art and want to try getting into justice league/DCs wider narrative leading to Darkseid war. What books are recommended to read so I am not totally lost. I only read Batfamily DC books and a few edge case books like Black Canary.

Also can someone explain Titans Hunt and what I need to read to read that.

Manapul is only doing a couple issues on JL to help Fabok stay caught up. That said, all you really need to read is Justice League, it's pretty standalone. If you're just interested in Darkseid War you can start with issue 40 and be good to go, but I'd recommend reading the Injustice League and Amazo Virus arcs as well, so then you'd start with issue 30.

Messi

Manapul is only doing a couple issues on JL to help Fabok stay caught up. That said, all you really need to read is Justice League, it's pretty standalone. If you're just interested in Darkseid War you can start with issue 40 and be good to go, but I'd recommend reading the Injustice League and Amazo Virus arcs as well, so then you'd start with issue 30.

I'd be lost if I don't know anything about villains like Darkseid?

tim1138

I'd be lost if I don't know anything about villains like Darkseid?

You could read the first volume of Justice League as it sets up N52 Darkseid, but really you just need to know that he is basically the god of evil and is a force of nature. You'd be fine looking him up on wiki or just asking here if you need something clarified

Messi

You could read the first volume of Justice League as it sets up N52 Darkseid, but really you just need to know that he is basically the god of evil and is a force of nature. You'd be fine looking him up on wiki or just asking here if you need something clarified

Cool thanks for the help

Duress

Fuck this Morrison sale. I'm thinking of finishing off Morrison's Batman run, by buying most of his beginning stuff.

That or Seven Soldiers.

JLA Earth 2 for sure.

Bizarro #5 demonstrates the series continuing ability to be charming as fuck as well as any other. Writing gets a tad stilted in spots, but by and large is solid. It's not really a "laugh out loud" book for me, but it drew a few chuckles and I had a grin on for most of it.

Messi

Bizarro #5 demonstrates the series continuing ability to be charming as fuck as well as any other. Writing gets a tad stilted in spots, but by and large is solid. It's not really a "laugh out loud" book for me, but it drew a few chuckles and I had a grin on for most of it.

Was Harley Quinn in much of it?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
People posting on Facebook "Back to the Future is awful"

Imagine declaring to the world that you're a boring old fart with a shit opinion?

Black Canary #5 is a good book with 1 too many plotlines in the air. Each of them is interesting on their own, but as is, there's too much going on and nothing is getting the panel time it deserves.

But like I said, good book. Writing is decent, some fun character moments (that, again, weren't given the time they needed to land properly), and good art. Definitely looking forward to Annie Wu getting back, though.

Top Bottom