• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

I still need to finish Unity... they've slowly been stripping out my favorite parts of the series (the modern-day assassins vs. templars framing device) in favor of ever-increasing in-animus collectathons. Ugh.

Oh, just remembered I didn't post my Batman & Robin Eternal #3 writeup yesterday!

It was good. Harper, Cass, and Steph are totally going to be getting a team book at some point, and it'll be great. Jason is an ass, but damned if he's not good at what he does. The degree to which the assholishness is intentional (as opposed to an abortive attempt at coolness) determines how much I like his portrayal here. I've always held that the fun bit of his character is just how much of a Failure Knight he is. Making him try-hard-cool defeats the point.

The hinting at the possible extent of Bruce's involvement in the Mother conspiracy is intriguing. I still don't think that was him shooting the kid's parents in Cairo, but he's probably much more wrapped up in things than I initially believed.

One thing that's kind of bugging me (but not really) is how much it feels like Tim is just sorta there. Dick's the suave superspy (and probably the hero of the story), Jason is the muscle with personality problems, and Tim is... hanging out in the batcave. I've never been particularly big on Tim, so it's not really an issue, but still. The fact that his tech-savvy role is getting usurped by Harper is probably not helping.

Owzers

about an hour before Hillary's presidential campaign is over and we can all get back to our Trump lives buying huge statues.

Tizoc

I miss pre Batman RIP Tim :/ He had some good stories throughout the 90s up til Batman RIP, but I really hate how they killed his parents, DC being stupid with that...

I recall some online review saying the early Usagi Yojimbo works were a bit rough. They were wrong. Just look at these...

A "slow motion" action sequence in one panel using the increasing font size of the sound effect.
S2kR7Uy.jpg

or across a whole page.

Don't know if it has been mentioned but Midtown comics having a big storewide discount sale for Breast Cancer awareness/research fund raising.

Was thinking of picking up the convergence tie ins I had missed.

Man I'd love to read that some day.

This was my first step outside of Gotham and Bat-books. It's an absolute gem. I have so much love for 52.

Yes it is great, everyone that enjoys the DC universe should read it at some point, it has a little something for everyone. My only complaint is that the omnibus doesn't collect the team's notes for each week that are in the TP, and doesn't include stories that aren't collected anywhere else really (The Dark Age, WW3, Crime Bible, etc). The TP's are out of print too.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Ahhhh insomnia no better way get caught up on some reading.

So far I've read.....

Southern Bastards 7-11
East of West 21
The Wicked and The Divine 15
Tokyo Ghost 2

http://comicsalliance.com/bill-finger-batman-comics-credit/

Hey, what do you know, they're crediting Bill Finger in the actual comic books.

"Batman created by Bob Kane with Bill Finger"
Saw this in Gotham Academy, good stuff!
He's mostly supposed to be an ass, I think.

It just feels like no one really knows what to do with him. He comes across as a joke character in Eternal so far. I don't really know what Harper is supposed to bring to the Batfamily either but I've barely read anything with her.

Saw this in Gotham Academy, good stuff!

It just feels like no one really knows what to do with him. He comes across as a joke character in Eternal so far. I don't really know what Harper is supposed to bring to the Batfamily either but I've barely read anything with her.

Honestly, I kind of like him as a joke character. He's the loser ex-Robin. Still a badass, but... a loser.The worst thing he could be is a Batman/Punisher hybrid like he was, IMO.

As for Harper, she's supposed to be the outsider who wants in. The fangirl, if you will, with a sprinkling of tech genius on top.

Bii

still really don't care about the inhumans

You're not alone.

So I had my name is ed pick something up for me at Mondocon. I'm a collector of Mike Mitchell's Fat Birds but am also a fan of Batman. And with Ed having done a commission for me before, he decided to added something extra when sending me my fat bird:

I felt elated when I opened the package up. Mixing two things together that I love. I can't thank him enough for this as it was a complete surprise. Thanks again Ed!

Zombine

Banned
The panel where he shattered the bullet in midair was pretty great

Badass moment of the week. Also him ranting about the flawed bullet afterwards was wonderful.

Haven't read that yet but for some reason I don't really count that. It was mainly a comment about Soule's continuing efforts at creating dull new characs.

Oh they are dull as sin. Uncanny Inhumans is pretty fun though. All-New didn't do a whole lot for me.

Messi

You're not alone.

So I had my name is ed pick something up for me at Mondocon. I'm a collector of Mike Mitchell's Fat Birds but am also a fan of Batman. And with Ed having done a commission for me before, he decided to added something extra when sending me my fat bird:

I felt elated when I opened the package up. Mixing two things together that I love. I can't thank him enough for this as it was a complete surprise. Thanks again Ed!

Good guy Ed delivers for good guy Bii once more.

I am curious as to what the appeal of the fat birds is. Is it just because they are nice art? I don't mean to offend, I struggle to understand fancy paper gaf just as I'm sure they don't understand us to an extent.

Badass moment of the week. Also him ranting about the flawed bullet afterwards was wonderful.

Oh they are dull as sin. Uncanny Inhumans is pretty fun though. All-New didn't do a whole lot for me.

UNcanny is the one that came out yesterday, right?

Did I read All New? I don't even remember.

Didn't really like Uncanny.

Haven't read Tokyo Ghost, Beauty, or SW SE yet, only my DC books.

B&R Eternal was cool. Jason Todd does come off as kind of corny. The art came off a little rushed but not too bad. But, all in all, character interactions and story progression made it an enjoyable read.

Justice League is DCs best book right now. Book is on fire. It's amazing the momentum the book has gained since Forever Evil ended.

Gotham Acedemy is a book I'm never excited about, but always delighted by every time I read. This week is no exception.

Black Canary was ok. It did nothing bad but nothing that really excited me. Slowly moved the story forward.

Dr Fate was kinda like Canary.

Messi

I'm not even sure if Sillymonkey actually supports Trump or if he really likes Olivia anymore. This is so confusing.

Zombine

Banned
UNcanny is the one that came out yesterday, right?

Did I read All New? I don't even remember.

Didn't really like Uncanny.

Yeah that was the one with
Kang
. I really dug the art for the most part. Black Bolt looked derpy as hell though. I think it's probably the one Inhuman book to keep an eye on. I can see the story picking up after a few issues.

Solid 6.5-7/10 Medusa really carried the issue for me. I love everything she's in.

You're not alone.

no problem! glad you liked it! i figured at least youd get a kick out of it haha

Good guy Ed delivers for good guy Bii once more.

I am curious as to what the appeal of the fat birds is. Is it just because they are nice art? I don't mean to offend, I struggle to understand fancy paper gaf just as I'm sure they don't understand us to an extent.
well theyre collectable and mad cute. theyre also pretty impressive up close. technically speaking, theyre not simple

VanWinkle

How do you tell which versions of books are oversized hard covers at different companies? DC makes it easy with labeling them all deluxe editions, but I don't know about the others.

Owzers

How do you tell which versions of books are oversized hard covers at different companies? DC makes it easy with labeling them all deluxe editions, but I don't know about the others.

measurements maybe....when Marvel solicits books each month it is described as "standard' or "oversized"

Did anyone else read Titans Hunt #1?

Issue #1 was all set up, but it was really great set up. I'm intrigued by the mystery as it stands right now, and I'm definitely curious to see where they are going with it. I especially like that they picked the pre-Wolfman version of the team, as honestly the tone of those books kinda fits the tone that this series is going for now.

Besides that there was more character work for Roy than I have seen in any of the Red Hood books I have read, and I'm kinda curious to see what they do with Gnarrk, I mean he is by far the most obscure member the team has ever had. And the original Hawk and Dove?

Here's hoping this book can rescue Donna Troy from the horrible stuff they are doing with her in the main WW book, (or so I hear). But I have faith, Abnett did some great work with cosmic Marvel.

Gotham Academy #15 is 3 spooky 5 me. Tim was great in this, and maps was as adorable as ever. Olive's got some tough revelations heading her way.

Art in this issue was interesting, the first few pages were colored... very differently from the middle ones, much flatter.

Oh, huh. Not sure. Thought that was something Grail's mom was holding.

Hmm.

I'm interested to see where this is all going. Esp because I feel, and I guess anyone interested feels sorta the same way, that
Darkseid's resurrection/return
is an inevitability, so will everything be part of some elaborate and convoluted master plan or....still. Not sure what the old explanation was, if there was one, but I kinda liked that the Black Racer is meant to be an aspect of Death that Darkseid tamed when he became a New God.

Top Bottom