• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

sca2511

I've been trying to read Monster (manga) but I can't seem to get into it. I don't think it is for me.

On to King City now!

I haven't read the manga, but I watched the anime and loved it. Definitely one of my top picks

Welp. I made a bit of a mistake. I thought about how I'm hearing more and more about how Sideshow's QC has been slipping in recent years, and I was looking for an alternative.

Sideshow garbage status confirmed.

I've had small paint job issues with my Campbell statues. Spidey's web not connecting at the neck, was able to get a new head though. Still isn't perfect, but it's better. MJ and Gwen seem to be fine, though if I were to be picky, MJ's face isn't 1:1 to the promo. Also got the Artgerm Batgirl PF and that was flawless. Maybe the PFs get better QC?

Those XM Studio statues are beautiful.

Tizoc

I've been trying to read Monster (manga) but I can't seem to get into it. I don't think it is for me.

On to King City now!

Monster starts slow, give it time and you're hooked.

I'm reading the Dragon ball manga and man the ecchi stuff are just...they haven't aged well.
Despite how they play into the story, they just make take a seat back and go 'wut'.
Toriyama's pacing and art however is superb some of the best art in 80s manga IMO. I'm just glad that after the first 2 volumes, the ecchi humor gets toned down to near non-existent and it becomes a more adventure action manga but still keeping that clever brand of humor.
EDIT: Bonus Dr. Slump goodness
tumblr_neo3sgDKTo1s0lby5o1_540.jpg

EDIT:2 WTF Toriyama met Jackie Chan?!
tumblr_nhj8lqFJrr1spsh0to8_540.jpg

Finished the first volume of New 52 Batman Inc.

The last issue was heart-breaking with everything that went down (Knight and Squire ;_;). This is so damn good.

Megatron

It's strange to read A-Force #5, Ms. Marvel #19, and New Avengers #1 in a row. Loved the ending of MM, though.

But Songbird? Who thought that was a good idea. They're getting down to the C-List. We'll have Aangar the Screamer next.

I can't agree with this. Songbird is awesome and she was teased as a future avenger forever ago. Plus it's so nice to have Marvel female superheroes who aren't derivatives of male characters (Spider-woman, Silk, Spider-Gwen, She-Hulk, Ms Marvel, etc.

if it makes you feel any better EVS was really nice to me when i walked up to him and asked him to critique my portfolio. he really took his time and actually taught me 3 pt perspective in about 10 min.

now to make you feel worse: apparently he's a fan of 50s style McCarthy politics

That's awesome!

Get that statue if you can. I got mine a year ago and it's glorious. It's like one of those holy statues. I've had multiple people ask me if it was religious lol.

I would love to get it but...i'm not sure I can really afford it at the moment. I may be able to get it in a couple of weeks when I know about how much I'll have to budget for in November but I want to just click BUY NOW. It looks awesome. I kinda wanted to get into buying some of the DC Bombshell Statues too, like the Hawkgirl one. I really should have taken advantage of Ebay's 20% off everything the other day.

sca2511

I kinda wanted to get into buying some of the DC Bombshell Statues too, like the Hawkgirl one.

Most are pretty nice. My girlfriend picked up the Batgirl at an LCS and I pre-ordered the Batwoman and Catwoman. She almost picked up the Stargirl, but I talked her out of it, haha.

Hawkgirl was my first Bombshell. She's amazing.

Yeah. My friend and I were checking some of them out. I used to have a few figures but all were gaming. I have The Boss from MGS3 and Yojimbo from Final Fantasy X but otherwise they've somehow disappeared over the years :p

Most are pretty nice. My girlfriend picked up the Batgirl at an LCS and I pre-ordered the Batwoman and Catwoman. She almost picked up the Stargirl, but I talked her out of it, haha.

Aw man, I think the Stargirl one looks alright :) I wish I hadn't seen the Sandman Overture one though. I saw they have one of Death as well but...something about it looks off to me. Can't quite place my finger on it.

sca2511

Aw man, I think the Stargirl one looks alright :) I wish I hadn't seen the Sandman Overture one though. I saw they have one of Death as well but...something about it looks off to me. Can't quite place my finger on it.

Oh, I would of been all for it, but we were visiting Las Vegas when she saw it and I'd imagine she'd hate to pack it up for the flight back.

Oh, I would of been all for it, but we were visiting Las Vegas when she saw it and I'd imagine she'd hate to pack it up for the flight back.

Fair enough. Part of my hesitation about buying them on Ebay over say Amazon or Forbidden Planet is all of them come from the US and regardless of how expensive p&p is...i'm paranoid there'd be a crack or something. even if it wasn't noticeable, i'd notice it and that would be bad enough.

sca2511

Fair enough. Part of my hesitation about buying them on Ebay over say Amazon or Forbidden Planet is all of them come from the US and regardless of how expensive p&p is...i'm paranoid there'd be a crack or something. even if it wasn't noticeable, i'd notice it and that would be bad enough.

I'd be a little worried about it too, especially if returning the product turns out to be a hassle

Owzers

what was the first statue that came to life when you were sleeping and started working on your demise? Your first Bombshell statue.

I finished Spiderverse, though only read the Amazing Spidey regular issues of it towards the end, and it coincided with MU not making my ipad really hot. I presume those things are directly related and the MU app knew the great evil was ending and it was time to cool off.

King City: The first couple of issues made me fear it would devolve into the main character being angsty about his magical past relationship. Thankfully that didn't happen and I got a fun short series with interesting ideas and some amazing puns. The Stokoe backup 2-page story looked great.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
what was the first statue that came to life when you were sleeping and started working on your demise? Your first Bombshell statue.

I finished Spiderverse, though only read the Amazing Spidey regular issues of it towards the end, and it coincided with MU not making my ipad really hot. I presume those things are directly related and the MU app knew the great evil was ending and it was time to cool off.

So bad?

Finished all of Batman Inc besides Batman Inc. Special.

Incredible book and a wonderful conclusion to this run. Even though it's old news that Damian is back, his death scene was still brutal and tragic. The final showdown between Bruce and Talia was super well done too. Loved that spread of the two of them in front of all of the Oroboros imagery or during their fight where their swords created the panels. Really cool stuff. I know there's a common belief that everything Morrison does is drug-fueled nonsense. But that's really not true. His Batman run is everything great about superhero comics. It's got action, suspense, humor, and a ton of heart. Comics like these are why I love this hobby.

Incredible book and a wonderful conclusion to this run. Even though it's old news that Damian is back, his death scene was still brutal and tragic. The final showdown between Bruce and Talia was super well done too. Loved that spread of the two of them in front of all of the Oroboros imagery or during their fight where their swords created the panels. Really cool stuff. I know there's a common belief that everything Morrison does is drug-fueled nonsense. But that's really not true. His Batman run is everything great about superhero comics. It's got action, suspense, humor, and a ton of heart. Comics like these are why I love this hobby.

Definitely a great arc. Reread it recently because I was reading Tomasi's Batman and Robin. Have you read that run? #18 of that run fits in right after Damian's death scene and it is quite brilliant.

tim1138

The fight between Damian and Heretic is one of my favorite pages ever, the way it flows across all eighteen panels is just amazing

Owzers

it's definitely not a book for me. Content-wise I don't like "unstoppable villain" angles, sometimes the quality can overcome this like the God Butcher arc in Aaron's Thor but most of the time i'm just annoyed at having to make overpowered enemies in order to increase the threat. Then the large amount of plot point introduction that doesn't go anywhere unless you buy another book dilutes what little story is there. I'd give what I read a random 4/10, Spider-ham was likable at least.

sillymonkey321, cool avatar, I love the Zatanna puppet arc.

Zatanna puppet is a permanent member of the great avatar rotation. Have you read Black Canary and Zatanna Bloodspell OGN by Dini/Quinones?

Definitely a great arc. Reread it recently because I was reading Tomasi's Batman and Robin. Have you read that run? #18 of that run fits in right after Damian's death scene and it is quite brilliant.
I did read the rest of pre-New 52 Batman and Robin and I remember enjoying the story he did about the White Knight. I've heard good things about the New 52 series but I haven't read any of it. I took a break from DC when New 52 began so I haven't read a lot of earlier series besides Batman and Batwoman.
The fight between Damian and Heretic is one of my favorite pages ever, the way it flows across all eighteen panels is just amazing

Seriously. Burnham's art was so good.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
it's definitely not a book for me. Content-wise I don't like "unstoppable villain" angles, sometimes the quality can overcome this like the God Butcher arc in Aaron's Thor but most of the time i'm just annoyed at having to make overpowered enemies in order to increase the threat. Then the large amount of plot point introduction that doesn't go anywhere unless you buy another book dilutes what little story is there. I'd give what I read a random 4/10, Spider-ham was likable at least.

Curious when I will get around to read it. I want to read the rest of the 2014 Run but cant read more then 2 pages before I start to hate it

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I wish Black Cat would stop being a villain. I mostly enjoyed Superior Spider-Man but that shit was DUMB.

Hellboy only gets better too! So if you enjoyed the first volume, you'll love the rest. Conqueror Worm and the big trilogy that takes place later on are amazing.

List for this week:
The Spire
Hellboy and The BPRD 1953 (omg)
Batgirl
Grayson
Batman and Robin Eternal
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (!!)
New Avengers

I'm glad you read this too cuz I never know when it's coming out.

New Stuffs:
The Spire #4
Black Magik #1
Chew #51

Old Stuffs:
Manifest Destiny #5
Rasputin #8
Switch #1

Is the Bleez statue cool???

The Bleez statue is awesome. It's not made out of the same stuff as the Bombshells, though. It's the lighter stuff that the Batman B&W statues are made of. And her bone wings are plastic. She's the only DC Cover Girl I own so far, so I don't know if she's an outlier in that regard, or if the whole line is made out of that material. The two Vertigo Cover Girl statues (Death and Gwen) are both made out of the heavier stuff.

Watching Batman Under the Red Hood. Really good so far.
It's super bueno
Welp. I made a bit of a mistake. I thought about how I'm hearing more and more about how Sideshow's QC has been slipping in recent years, and I was looking for an alternative. Apparently, there's a company outside the US called XM Studios that does some outstanding Marvel statues. Unfortunately, they only ship to about a half-dozen countries in Asia. Big Bad Toy Store carries them, but at an inflated price of about $1000. So sad.

I want that Medusa/Lockjaw one soooo bad

Cheska

Welp. I made a bit of a mistake. I thought about how I'm hearing more and more about how Sideshow's QC has been slipping in recent years, and I was looking for an alternative. Apparently, there's a company outside the US called XM Studios that does some outstanding Marvel statues. Unfortunately, they only ship to about a half-dozen countries in Asia. Big Bad Toy Store carries them, but at an inflated price of about $1000. So sad.

Have you actually seen in hand XM statue pictures though? Even as a hardcore Phoenix fan, there is absolutely no way I would shell out that much money for their statues. I always get so excited when I see a new announcement from them, like the new Thor statue, but then they end up releasing them and they're kind of "meh".

I don't own any Bombshell statues. Kind of hard to explain those.
Really? I don't think so. If anything, I actually think it makes them more unique.

Messi

Have you actually seen in hand XM statue pictures though? Even as a hardcore Phoenix fan, there is absolutely no way I would shell out that much money for their statues. I always get so excited when I see a new announcement from them, like the new Thor statue, but then they end up releasing them and they're kind of "meh".

Really? I don't think so. If anything, I actually think it makes them more unique.

Oh Zombine knows what he is doing. Don't fall for it Cheska :p

WAT?

So you're basically telling me there are no surefire awesome Marvel statues? Man, I'd be so happy if Marvel had their own DC Direct-type of statue production company.

Short list for me this week. Just Spire #4 of 8 and Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #1. I really need to actually read Spire. I remember Spurrier and Stokely taking me to heaven with Six Gun Gorilla. Maybe I'll catch up on that after I catch up on Rachel Rising.

Top Bottom