• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Messi

Yup, same almost happened to me which is I hate how much it's blindly suggested to people asking for new comics

Lol

Someone asks for good comics so we recommend sunstone. We have never hidden the sex angle to anyone and we have always been upfront about the bdsm. So what is the problem?

Hagi

He was good in Looper. I haven't watched him in anything else for years.

I need to rewatch Looper, that was a pretty cool cinema experience. I forgot he was in Moonrise Kingdom as well and I loved that film.

James Bond is out tomorrow here not sure if I want to see it or not.

It's blindly recommended because it's an amazing book, and it just so happens to be based heavily around sex. What's the problem?

Maybe the sex part bothers people, which is fine because their sexual relationship is a pretty big component of the book. Each to their own and all that.

Messi

It's blindly recommended because it's an amazing book, and it just so happens to be based heavily around sex. What's the problem?

And all of the descriptions on IST ect mention the sex angle.

Stjepan Sejic Two women deal with modern themes of sex, relationships, and fetishism in this erotic romantic comedy. So beware all who enter, because, to quote a few hundred thousand readers on DeviantArt: 'I'm not into BDSM...but this story...I get it.'

Is it wrong that I laughed at this cover?

SM-Cv45-monster-var-200b0.jpg
Someone had fun. ;p

Maybe the sex part bothers people, which is fine because their sexual relationship is a pretty big component of the book. Each to their own and all that.

Yes, that's fine, but he says he "hates" that we recommend it. What are we supposed to assume, people won't read good books because they are sexually explicit, especially when no one is intentionally hiding that information?

Hagi

Yes, that's fine, but he says he "hates" that we recommend it. What are we supposed to assume, people won't read good books because they are sexual explicit, especially when no one is intentionally hiding that information?

I dunno :p

As long as it's noted that "hey this book is upfront about sexual relationships in a BDSM setting" then yeah I don't see the problem either. Maybe he just didn't think it would be that up front. I usually google things I get recommended just so I have an idea what to expect.

Is it wrong that I laughed at this cover?

Someone had fun. ;p

This is awesome. I love that he's holding the Actions Comics car.

Don't pretend everyone's ok with the same level of stuff you're ok with. Maybe they always go comics shopping with their kids? Just one totally random example of thousands.

People are allowed to have their own personal tolerance levels for everything. He's not saying the book should be banned, I mean, Jesus.

Don't pretend everyone's ok with the same level of stuff you're ok with. Maybe they always go comics shopping with their kids? Just one totally random example of thousands.

People are allowed to have their own personal tolerance levels for everything. He's not saying the book should be banned, I mean, Jesus.

That's not where I'm coming from at all. It's recommended because it's good, and that's all. If someone has different sensibilities, that's fine, but I don't feel like it should be a huge thing that we are recommending a sexually explicit book. Nobody is hiding that information when it's recommended.

For your example, Sunstone doesn't have explicit covers. If you have kids, you should be reading the back label that shares that the book has mature content. It very explicitly states "erotica" as the genre.

Yes, that's fine, but he says he "hates" that we recommend it. What are we supposed to assume, people won't read good books because they are sexually explicit, especially when no one is intentionally hiding that information?

Except it's not always said it's that type of book and I'd argue most people aren't expecting that going in. It's sometimes mentioned but definitely wasn't when it was recommended to me. I don't know if it was or not for him.

Yeah, I don't get the reason why people have been big on attacking me lately.

Owzers

This is why i called my Congressman and demanded Sunstone be banned in the U.S. There are innocent comic readers out there who only want to read fun comics and accidentally stumble into Lewdsville. This might be okay in some of the exotic European countries but not America, we care about other people.

Messi

Except it's not always said it's that type of book and I'd argue most people aren't expecting that going in. It's sometimes mentioned but definitely wasn't when it was recommended to me. I don't know if it was or not for him.

you really have to go out of your way not to know what sunstone is about before reading it. Like avoiding descriptions or the back cover ect. Please stop trying to portray us as a community of people who are trying to trick people into reading sunstone by hiding he sexual side. We have been nothing but open about sunstone and the good it does for bdsm.

Well, I'm sorry nobody told you, but it's not exactly hard to miss. It's a best-seller on Amazon under erotica, lesbian, and romance books. The description states it's erotic. The women on the covers are in lingerie, and in one of them one is holding a rope. I'm pretty sure that whatever information was not shared, it was not omitted on purpose.

And again, I reiterate, we recommend it because it's good irrespective of its content. I don't see the issue.

I have no idea, but that might not be a coincidence.

Well, I'm sorry nobody told you, but it's not exactly hard to miss. It's a best-seller on Amazon under erotica, lesbian, and romance books. The description states it's erotic. The women on the covers are in lingerie, and in one of them one is holding a rope. I'm pretty sure that whatever information was not shared, it was not omitted on purpose.

And again, I reiterate, we recommend it because it's good irrespective of its content. I don't see the issue.

Yeah, I think we're done here.

lol wow

listen dude, if you were to walk down a comic book rack there is virtually NO difference between the outfits on a Sunstone cover and the stuff that passes for female super hero costumes these days. Not everyone buys their shit on Amazonk.

You need to lay off this one. Bro took the time to mini-review all his stuff. This isn't some drive-by and Sunstone isn't your precious little flower to protect. Trying to front like the explicit bone zone in the book just oh my god happens but it's really about the story and isn't designed to be crispy sock fuel too is ridiculous.

Messi

lol wow

listen dude, if you were to walk down a comic book rack there is virtually NO difference between the outfits on a Sunstone cover and the stuff that passes for female super hero costumes these days. Not everyone buys their shit on Amazonk.

You need to lay off this one. Bro took the time to mini-review all his stuff. This isn't some drive-by and Sunstone isn't your precious little flower to protect. Trying to front like the explicit bone zone in the book just oh my god happens but it's really about the story and isn't designed to be crispy sock fuel too is ridiculous.

Have you read Sunstone?

Just wait til you get to the Frazer Irving Klarion issues, so good
My only exposure to the character was the issue of Batgirl where he hung out with Steph and he seems pretty cool so I am definitely looking forward to that part. I'm really interested in seeing how Morrison handles him.

Then I don't believe you are being fair to sunstone in the slightest and I didn't expect that from you of all people.

I said "too". I get that the sex in that book is critical to the characters, but its also depicted in a visual style and execution that is designed for a particular purpose.

Surely this isn't a controversial statement. People bone in comics all the time in less explicit scenarios.

lol wow

That's fine that he didn't realize the book was about erotica. Someone dropped the ball on that, apparently. But he's blaming us collectively (or at least the people who would recommend it) for recommending it on the basis that it's good but was erotic. How are we supposed to respond to that?

And no, I've never once pretended that Sunstone was not at least a good percentage intended for arousal.

Also, he's not the one who posted the mini reviews.

80% of it is from you so there's more than a little confirmation bias here.

I don't even come in here enough lately to know what goes on with this guy, so I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean.

Vyer

Oh wow, Superman Birthright is awesome! Very good writing so far by Waid and this is my first experience with Leinil Francis Yu's art. It's really great.

yup. Birthright should always be on those 'recommend me superman books' lists.

Screw it, I'm going fully digital now. I'd already switched for everything but my Star Wars books. But not only did they come late this week, the postman had to come while I popped out for twenty minutes. Not worth the hassle

If I ever re-read any I'd always use Comixology anyway.

welcome to the future

No one wants a Kevin Smith fix except Jorts salesmen and Hockey Jersey letter applicators.
Do remember:
https://twitter.com/granitetide/status/513827545989791744?lang=en

smh

lol wow

I don't think his issue was with the dude who did his mini review.

he had an issue with the idea that no one should 'recommend' it. If they like the book, there's nothing wrong with that. The responsibility to get more information on a book to see if it's something they might like isn't really on the person who offered the recommendation unless that content was specifically mentioned, I would think.

Well, ok. I guess I misread that. I still don't think someone should be ganged up on for an opinion.

And I still think Sunstone is drawn and constructed to elicit a particular reaction.

PsychBat!

Banned
Well, ok. I guess I misread that. I still don't think someone should be ganged up on for an opinion.

And I still think Sunstone is drawn and constructed to elicit a particular reaction.

ONLY SHOOTING STARS BREAK THE MOLD!!!!! BIRDIE PLEASE LOOOOVE ME!!!

didn't make sense not to live for fun

Not for nothing, but I don't know if I consider him new. Kenpachi has been around for at least 2 months, I think?

I wasn't saying he was new. I'm saying people who are at lurk level would see that and be like "This is not a safe place for me to disagree with Launchpad. I'll just keep lurking and no one will ever hear about the time I introduced Matt Fraction to Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon."

PsychBat!

Banned
I wasn't saying he was new. I'm saying people who are at lurk level would see that and be like "This is not a safe place for me to disagree with Launchpad. I'll just keep lurking and no one will ever hear about the time I introduced Matt Fraction to Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon."

Maybe he shouldn't make blanket statements about how often something is recommended if he is new. Also he isnt new.

so much to do so muuch to see so what'ss wrong with taking the backstreets!!?

Top Bottom