• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I was thinking about getting the 1964 version, I really love the earlier suits. The Showa films are my favourite as well. If I was to get a villain Kaiju it would have to be King Ghidorah.

I'm jealous that you can just buy them straight from Amazon, I have no other option than importing.

Well luckily both 1964 and King Ghidorah are getting reissues in the next few months! I'll be picking up both. :D

VanWinkle

blegh depression sucks and can take you in to awful daydreaming.

But I just saw a bulldog and they're so cute.

bulldog_puppies.jpg

Messi

Reading Secret Wars : House of M. It ain't bad but it ain't good either. Ankas covers leave me worried about Captain Marvel in ANAD. Did not like his art in his uncanny X-Men issues either :/

Owzers

I think you might be the only person who obsesses over paint. :|

that's why i need to find a friend here to share a common interest.

Besides comics....which i totally read and enjoy.

edit:Walking Dead tv show is still pretty good tonight, watchigni t late because of WRESTLING. In caps because it's bad and needs attention.

VanWinkle

Oh wow, Superman Birthright is awesome! Very good writing so far by Waid and this is my first experience with Leinil Francis Yu's art. It's really great.

Vibranium

Banned
This is such a stunning opinion. I hadn't ever appreciated monsters until Sejic. What he did with Rat Queens was some of the best comics work I've seen.

All the fans want him back on Rat Queens, if I was Wiebe I would give Fowler once more chance to improve her faces or convince him to come back.

Seriously, Tess' style just is not clicking, I wonder how long-term sales of the book are going to be affected. It's a huge drop-off and it pisses me off because I love the writing. Reviewers are going way too easy on the drawing.

All the fans want him back on Rat Queens, if I was Wiebe I would give Fowler once more chance to improve her faces or convince him to come back.

Seriously, Tess' style just is not clicking, I wonder how long-term sales of the book are going to be affected. It's a huge drop-off and it pisses me off because I love the writing.
Do you have any examples? I don't see anything as horrible as your saying from a quick search.

Vibranium

Banned
Do you have any examples? I don't see anything as horrible as your saying from a quick search.

I don't really have any examples, but the last issue had Hannah's face looking really ugly and messed up. I miss the elegance. There are tons of great artists out there who could do a better job.

There's another person on here who said his wife hates Tess Fowler ever since she started drawing it haha.

Boogiepop

Anybody read this?

Any good? Looks great.

Ooh! That does look great! I'll have to look into that.

Super late chiming in on this, but yeah, I've read that. (Well, the volume that's out in English). And it was indeed pretty great. I'm admittedly not a person who's ever seen much Ultraman, but it seemed to strike a very nice balance between trying to pay homage and very much be its own thing and act as a reimagining. Plus it's super nice to look at and a really fun read.

So yeah, I'd totally recommend that.

Now to get back to reading some Usagi Yojimbo!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Super late chiming in on this, but yeah, I've read that. (Well, the volume that's out in English). And it was indeed pretty great. I'm admittedly not a person who's ever seen much Ultraman, but it seemed to strike a very nice balance between trying to pay homage and very much be its own thing and act as a reimagining. Plus it's super nice to look at and a really fun read.

Thanks for the mini-review!

Did some hardcore comic reading today:

Green Lantern: No Fear: Good book. Johns' fixing of GL mythos whilst setting up for upcoming events is extremely transparent, but it's still a very enjoyable chapter in Johns' run overall. Though I just can't bring myself to care about Hal at all, so it's a bit detrimental to my enjoyment.

Nightwing Volume 3: Death of the Family: This book continues to be decent. All of the standout parts of this book have been tie-ins with main Batman storylines. That kind of sucks. The action sequences continue to be good. Also, not a fan of Lady Shiva's design. It's just bad. I'm really just not a fan of how Dick as a character is handled. It's like they forget that he was the sole protector of his own city (though that's probably just New 52 bullshit there) and that at one point, he was a respected and charismatic leader and hero on his own right. It's depressing that he's constantly condescended to and referred to as a "Bat-Fake."

Aquaman Volume 1: The Trench: Great book. Not only am I invested in these characters, but I'm also stunned by the action sequences. Dope as hell. Also, due to Johns' reputation as a "fixer," it's very clear that the mythos of Aquaman are being rebooted here. Granted, that's part of what the New 52 was, but still, it's very noticeable. Unlike, say, the Batman or GL stuff. Very much looking forward to the rest of the run. Begs the question (for me): how broken was Aquaman's lore and mythology BEFORE the New 52 happened?

The New Avengers: Illuminati: Boy did I enjoy the tale of white assholes who think they know what's best for everyone and end up fucking everything up more than you could ever imagine. Seriously. It was really enjoyable. Though, I have to say, this book confuses me. See, in the Inhumans reading order I've been following (which is the official Marvel chronology listed in the back of the War of Kings TPB), this book is listed before Son of M, Silent War, and WW Hulk...The problem is that it's very clearly a pure set-up for Secret Invasion, a storyline that happens well after all 3 of the ones mentioned. So, it makes the most sense to exist after WWH and before Secret Invasion in the reading order. Not only that, but the reading order listing says it collects #1-6, but the actual TPB lists only #1-5 being collected. If there's a sixth I have no idea why it isn't collected.

All in all, a very good day of reading.

Here's pics of my enhanced book collection.

Note the ones that are stacked are currently in my reading order.

Read the first issue of Seven Soldiers along with the first Shining Knight and Guardian. Seems really cool so far! Very interested in seeing how all of these different stories end up coming together.

Foofaraw

Got a bunch of stuff from ist this weekend.

Sunstone Vol 1: I got this on ComicGAFs recommendation. I probably should have looked into it a little more. Some much sex in this book. The characters were great, but I somehow missed that this was an erotic book. Thought it was going to be a fantasy with some bdsm elements. Still a fun slice of life with more pervy stuff than I'm used to in a comic.

One Punch Man: Meh, kinda fun. The art was nice, but it was over very quick and made me feel like maybe manga was not for me.

Naoki Urasawa's Monster: Perfect Volume 1: Holy cow, Manga is dope! I could not put this down. The medical politics brought me in, and the thriller aspects kept me running through this delightful book. I'm probably not getting the next volumes of the previous books, but I am absolutely getting the rest of these! (Well, I might get the next volume of Sunstone)

I also picked up volume 3 of JLA. The Waid stories weren't great and had bad art. The first Morrison arc had much better art and was better written. It is making me interested in Zuriel.

The Invisibles Deluxe Volume 1 showed up. It still sits shrink wrapped. I'm going to give that some real strong attention tomorrow.

Is it appropriate to sell comics here? I have some Valiant trades I'm looking to get rid of, possibly some random image books, too.

Screw it, I'm going fully digital now. I'd already switched for everything but my Star Wars books. But not only did they come late this week, the postman had to come while I popped out for twenty minutes. Not worth the hassle

If I ever re-read any I'd always use Comixology anyway.

Zombine

Banned
Screw it, I'm going fully digital now. I'd already switched for everything but my Star Wars books. But not only did they come late this week, the postman had to come while I popped out for twenty minutes. Not worth the hassle

Welcome to the team. I find that I read more digitally than I ever did with physical floppies. Digital + HC collections is the way to go.

Messi

Seriously, Tess' style just is not clicking, I wonder how long-term sales of the book are going to be affected. It's a huge drop-off and it pisses me off because I love the writing. Reviewers are going way too easy on the drawing.

Sejic wont come back

All digital all the time. Welcome to the winning team.

I should really buy a tablet some time... maybe there'll be a good deal on one when the Costco near my office opens.

Fritz

Woah, threads moving fast.

Thanks everybody!

That's cuz Bruce Willis is an annoying jerk who should stop making movies

My favorite Kevin Smith/Bruce Willis story is Tom Scharpling talking about sleeping in a showing of Cop Out, stretching out across three chairs. Just something about the way described how sleeping in a movie is the most comfortable and rewarding sleep you could ever have.

Got a bunch of stuff from ist this weekend.

Sunstone Vol 1: I got this on ComicGAFs recommendation. I probably should have looked into it a little more. Some much sex in this book. The characters were great, but I somehow missed that this was an erotic book. Thought it was going to be a fantasy with some bdsm elements. Still a fun slice of life with more pervy stuff than I'm used to in a comic.

One Punch Man: Meh, kinda fun. The art was nice, but it was over very quick and made me feel like maybe manga was not for me.

Naoki Urasawa's Monster: Perfect Volume 1: Holy cow, Manga is dope! I could not put this down. The medical politics brought me in, and the thriller aspects kept me running through this delightful book. I'm probably not getting the next volumes of the previous books, but I am absolutely getting the rest of these! (Well, I might get the next volume of Sunstone)

I also picked up volume 3 of JLA. The Waid stories weren't great and had bad art. The first Morrison arc had much better art and was better written. It is making me interested in Zuriel.

The Invisibles Deluxe Volume 1 showed up. It still sits shrink wrapped. I'm going to give that some real strong attention tomorrow.

Is it appropriate to sell comics here? I have some Valiant trades I'm looking to get rid of, possibly some random image books, too.
Yup, same almost happened to me which is I hate how much it's blindly suggested to people asking for new comics

Hagi

That's cuz Bruce Willis is an annoying jerk who should stop making movies

I haven't watched a new film with him in it in about 3 years so I can't say I have strong opinions on whether he should still be acting. Die Hard will forever be the GOAT action film.

My favorite Kevin Smith/Bruce Willis story is Tom Scharpling talking about sleeping in a showing of Cop Out, stretching out across three chairs. Just something about the way described how sleeping in a movie is the most comfortable and rewarding sleep you could ever have.

That movie is all round terrible so seems like he had the right idea.

Top Bottom