• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Apparently Peter David's run is good, which I'm perfectly willing to believe, given X-Factor.

80 issues though :(

Are they ever going to release more of Peter David's X-Factor in Ultimate Collection form? It's taking sooooo loooooong. Just release a god damn omnibus or two.

Squire

Banned
$80 is a lot to ask, but I'm definitely grabbing Legion. I only have the first trade of that, but it's really good and it sounds like the point where they added Supergirl is a jumping on point.

1996 Peter David series for sure.

Cosmic Adventures in 8th grade

Number 12 from 2005 series is fun

I'd put those at the top.

The Legion I liked.

2005 series got decent when Sterling Gates and Jamal Igle took over on 34.

VeeP

Hey, ComicGAF!

What's the best Flash Graphic Novel to buy for someone who is a fan of The Flash TV show?

Flash Rebirth, Moving Forward, etc.?

Just finished reading Deadly Class vol 1

Art is one of the most impressive spatially aware out there. the coloring is ridiculosly good. Apt and versatile. Very very impressed with Craig and Loughridge here. Page design is off the charts

Writing wise, this is probably the most polished Remender has been. Well, I guess I can't really say it is more 'polished' specifically. Can't speak for how many drafts Remender has gone through on Deadly Class vs his other books but it reads like his most careful work. Remender utilizes first person narrative to drive a lot of his books. Usually it reads like

'god, im such a shitty person. aint worth shit. look at me this worthless person bleeding all over the place. only good thing i ever do is disappear on people. might be time to disappear for good now.

no. I cant.

I cant give up. Gotta do something worth a shit before I die. This kid here needs someone and im the only fucker around. Just this time, let me be worth shit'

or something like that. point is his narration here is at a much higher level than the rest of his recent work. its way more personal. it reveals more character rather than continuosly driving the point home that shit is bad.

probably the best thing I've read from Remender

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Was looking forward to reading the IDW TMNT #1 tonight but gave up immediately when I saw they all wear the same color bandanas. LAME!

Art is one of the most impressive spatially aware out there. the coloring is ridiculosly good. Apt and versatile. Very very impressed with Craig and Loughridge here. Page design is off the charts

Writing wise, this is probably the most polished Remender has been. Well, I guess I can't really say it is more 'polished' specifically. Can't speak for how many drafts Remender has gone through on Deadly Class vs his other books but it reads like his most careful work. Remender utilizes first person narrative to drive a lot of his books. Usually it reads like

'god, im such a shitty person. aint worth shit. look at me this worthless person bleeding all over the place. only good thing i ever do is disappear on people. might be time to disappear for good now.

no. I cant.

I cant give up. Gotta do something worth a shit before I die. This kid here needs someone and im the only fucker around. Just this time, let me be worth shit'

or something like that. point is his narration here is at a much higher level than the rest of his recent work. its way more personal. it reveals more character rather than continuosly driving the point home that shit is bad.

It never loses its quality. Not for one issue.

Vyer

How do you feel about Low?

I already felt like that is a very 'personal' work considering the theme of the book, but the last issue really felt like it drove that home. And then I get to the letters page, and it removes all doubt. :)

Foofaraw

Um... not sure of the arc name, just wrapped the story with the Philosopher's Stone and the time traveling and Darkseid. Still felt pretty straightforward, just with more wacky words surrounding it (and also Wonderworld, which was pretty weird).

Oh man, Darkseid Is. So much fun! That was Rock of Ages. I've found most of the Morrison JLA stuff that I've read to be pretty straight forward, but also sooooooo damn fun and good. To me, it is Morrison proving that he is also awesome at writing things without getting up his own bum every few panels. It doesn't feel crazy weird or experimental, but it creates good stories, with interesting premises, supported by good art. Also, JLA books have seemed very subpar when I've read other authors give it a shot. (Really did not like the first 6 issues of New52 Justice League, and quickly stopped reading.)

I'd be interested in Superior Foes reading! It's all on MU now, right? Alias seems like a fairly low bar to entry, $58 on IST right now, but zero of it is on MU. Also, is it super Bendis-y? I don't hate Bendis, but his dialogue chafes at times.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews

no. I cant.

Glad you enjoyed it. It keeps going that way. Vol 3 was pretty good shit is going to hit the fan HARD in the next trade. Damn.

frye

no. I cant.

There were a few months where if you were reading more than one of his books you could tell it was the same guy writing them. The narration of course but also really weird tics, like the word "egotist" being used across wildly different comics a BUNCH and it's like "whoa rick you really like this really odd word don't ya"

I don't fuck with his sci-fi stuff at Image at all so I'm definitely in agreement that Deadly Class is a step above -- though the peak superhero stuff > * imo

Craig is super great and the one story-telling quibble I had with him (incredibly confusing panel flow for a few of the motorcycle pages in issue 1) turned out to be a one-time thing

Hey, ComicGAF!

What's the best Flash Graphic Novel to buy for someone who is a fan of The Flash TV show?

I really enjoyed The Flash Rebirth, but I dunno if it's something that someone should jump into without some degree of familiarity with the DCU.

Moving Forward is the first trade of the New 52 series which, while I found it rather boring, has very gorgeous art and is a perfect jumping on point for someone new to The Flash.

The Flash Season Zero just got released in trade and is canonical with the show, so if you want some RU type stuff for The Flash, that'd be a good pickup. I haven't read it, so I couldn't give you an informed opinion.

I'm not a Flash expert, so this is the best I could do. Hope it helps.

VeeP

I really enjoyed The Flash Rebirth, but I dunno if it's something that someone should jump into without some degree of familiarity with the DCU.

Moving Forward is the first trade of the New 52 series which, while I found it rather boring, has very gorgeous art and is a perfect jumping on point for someone new to The Flash.

The Flash Season Zero just got released in trade and is canonical with the show, so if you want some RU type stuff for The Flash, that'd be a good pickup. I haven't read it, so I couldn't give you an informed opinion.

I'm not a Flash expert, so this is the best I could do. Hope it helps.

Oh, thanks a lot. I've read the first few issues of Flash S0 and I just didn't enjoy it.

I was thinking of getting Moving Forward but from what I've heard on ComicGAF (I lurk), it was pretty but boring, like you said.

I'm leaning towards Flash Rebirth atm, thanks.

Oh, thanks a lot. I've read the first few issues of Flash S0 and I just didn't enjoy it.

I was thinking of getting Moving Forward but from what I've heard on ComicGAF (I lurk), it was pretty but boring, like you said.

I'm leaning towards Flash Rebirth atm, thanks.
I'd pick it up if you're really interested. It's a fun action book that does cool stuff with the Flash mythos, and is the beginning of the road to Flashpoint, which is major Flash story (S1's story was Flashpoint, basically). I just dunno if someone with limited DCU exposure would like it. By all means pick it up, however, if that's tickling your fancy.

Yesss. Finally I get PADs super girl in digital form I got the run In a bulk floppy form but was hoping for digital instead. Also getting digital version of some of waids legion run is a welcome surprise too.

Getting some of the deeper DC cuts of the digital wish list checked off this year. Batgirl, PADs supergirl, Dixons Robin, etc.

Next up Pre 52 Dixon/Simone Birds of Prey and PADs Aquaman

I haven't had a chance to post since everyone replied, but thanks for the podcast recommendations. I have a few lined up, including 11 o'clock comics, iFanboy and Comicvine.

Someone please sell me on Peter David's Supergirl? I already have the New 52 run in my cart, I enjoyed the new take on Kara.

I haven't had a chance to post since everyone replied, but thanks for the podcast recommendations. I have a few lined up, including 11 o'clock comics, iFanboy and Comicvine.

Someone please sell me on Peter David's Supergirl? I already have the New 52 run in my cart, I enjoyed the new take on Kara.

Its would be one of my desert island comics

Hey, ComicGAF!

I haven't read it but Geoff John's & Mark Waids flash books are usually the go to recommendations.

Try picking up Blood Will Run.

ofc someone will say it's Wally & not Barry but TV Barry isn't really the same as classic Barry so names are mostly meaningless.

I haven't read it but Geoff John's & Mark Waids flash books are usually the go to recommendations.

ofc someone will say it's Wally & not Barry but TV Barry isn't really the same as classic Barry so names are mostly meaningless.
TV Barry also isn't anything like Wally either.

Hagi

Ah but who is more bland. Comic book cyborg or comic book Barry?

Cyborg easily.

He's so bland his robot body actually separated from him in disgust of his blandness.
I may or may not be misrepresenting the events of Forever Evil

VeeP

I'd pick it up if you're really interested. It's a fun action book that does cool stuff with the Flash mythos, and is the beginning of the road to Flashpoint, which is major Flash story (S1's story was Flashpoint, basically). I just dunno if someone with limited DCU exposure would like it. By all means pick it up, however, if that's tickling your fancy.

I appreciate the replies, thanks a lot guys.

Cyborg easily.

He's so bland his robot body actually separated from him in disgust of his blandness.
I may or may not be misrepresenting the events of Forever Evil

Cyborg is easily the blandest hero in the DC stable, so I'm gonna go with him.

I'll go with Cyborg, but ONLY because Barry has something outside of his character that's attached to him that's cool. Cyborg has nothing. Still, I don't actively dislike Cyborg like I do Barry.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Guys... The Kelley Jones Batman Gallery Edition is on sale on IST for 35% off... Talk me down...

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Also, I just remembered that the Dark Knight Returns Gallery Edition is going on sale for $175 on 2/24/16.

Hold me.

Top Bottom