• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

VanWinkle

Batman and Robin death of the family tie in I believe

Read Batman and Robin by tomasi and Gleason, be amazed by all the heart and feels. Imo the best batman book while it was being published.

Yes yes yes. Batman and Robin is fantastic. I was so pleasantly surprised. Great writing.

Yeah, I thought the new enemies in 4 were shit. Also, there were only a few different types. From some of the previews I saw of Halo 5, those butts are back.

I've heard mixed things about the Prometheans in 5; some people really dig 'em, others... not so much.

Everyone seems to agree that they're better done than they were in 4, tho.

WHY IS IT NOT TOMORROW YET.

I like the idea of Superior Foes for a book club, but I think zombeen makes a good point: if we want outsiders in the club, we need to pick a book with mass appeal. Nobody who isn't already well immersed in comics culture is ever going to read a book about Shocker, Boomerang and friends (believe me, I have tried and tried and tried). We could give them out for free and many/most people still wouldn't try it. To me Superior Foes is no more realistic than X-Statix.

Alias seems like a good, natural fit due to its high acclaim, the forthcoming show, and the way it straddles the line between superhero comics and what is generally considered more mature material.

I like the idea of Superior Foes for a book club, but I think zombeen makes a good point: if we want outsiders in the club, we need to pick a book with mass appeal. Nobody who isn't already well immersed in comics culture is ever going to read a book about Shocker, Boomerang and friends (believe me, I have tried and tried and tried). We could give them out for free and many/most people still wouldn't try it. To me Superior Foes is no more realistic than X-Statix.

Alias seems like a good, natural fit due to its high acclaim, the forthcoming show, and the way it straddles the line between superhero comics and what is generally considered more mature material.

That's why I suggested doing a Hawkeye reading club months ago. It's accessible and very good. Everyone said to wait for the second OHC when I brought it up last time, so that's what I was planning on doing.

I suggested a Superior Foes club for people in this thread specifically. I wasn't expecting it to attract the attention of many outsiders to begin with. My intention was to do something for you guys since members like Cheska and fauxtrot have so generously given me free books in the past and I thought it would be a fun way to give back to the community.

Zombine

Banned
It's really down to Ms Marvel and Alias. Probably Ms Marvel. The hard part is actually getting folks to buy the books.

Also, the reason I'm hesitant to start up Hawkeye is because I really don't want it to be a wank fest of just existing readers talking about how godly fraction is or going on and on about panel placement or whatever dumb shit we get on about. Yeah, it's a fantastic book, but the way some people talk about it is nauseating. Not looking for a thesis on the book, just human reactions and what people did/didn't like about each issue.

Hawkeye has flaws bros, and I'd like to hear about them from normal folks.

Messi

DCBS got back to me about the statue going out of the shipment screen. They are waiting for a new shipment of batwoman to come in as many of them were damaged apparently. 1-2 week delay :(. Same for my Catwoman it seems.

Squire

Banned
That's why I suggested doing a Hawkeye reading club months ago. It's accessible and very good. Everyone said to wait for the second OHC when I brought it up last time, so that's what I was planning on doing.

I suggested a Superior Foes club for people in this thread specifically. I wasn't expecting it to attract the attention of many outsiders to begin with. My intention was to do something for you guys since members like Cheska and fauxtrot have so generously given me free books in the past and I thought it would be a fun way to give back to the community.

She texted me out of the lie yesterday, asking if I'd read a few things. I said no and now she's just sending them to me. Her kindness is boundless.

It's really down to Ms Marvel and Alias. Probably Ms Marvel. The hard part is actually getting folks to buy the books.

Alias pls

Also, the reason I'm hesitant to start up Hawkeye is because I really don't want it to be a wank fest of just existing readers talking about how godly fraction is or going on and on about panel placement or whatever dumb shit we get on about. Yeah, it's a fantastic book, but the way some people talk about it is nauseating. Not looking for a thesis on the book, just human reactions and what people did/didn't like about each issue.

Hawkeye has flaws bros, and I'd like to hear about them from normal folks.

Okay... Then I guess I won't make a Hawkeye thread

Because who cares about Gotham it's a shit show.

:D

giphy.gif

best comic book show on tv my dude.

Nobody is saying don't dude. I'm actually kinda hyped about it. Just let me do this one and then the next one after the final HC is out we'll have better options for all people.

Wait, they never released the second Hawkeye hardcover!? Man, they were just itching to drop that omnibus, now they give no fucks. Wonder if they'll do the same thing with Ms. Marvel.

Owzers

DCBS got back to me about the statue going out of the shipment screen. They are waiting for a new shipment of batwoman to come in as many of them were damaged apparently. 1-2 week delay :(. Same for my Catwoman it seems.

was just writing up a draft email to send to them.....

was just writing up a draft email to send to them.....

I already emailed them earlier. Wasn't so concerned about the Batwoman statue, but when they charged me last week, it was almost $200 and I was wondering if they charged me for the Catwoman AND Batwoman Bombshells at once, which seems likely.

Messi

Okay... Then I guess I won't make a Hawkeye thread

Hawkeye has his own community thread. I'd love to do a re read though. Don't be turned off from the idea.

I already emailed them earlier. Wasn't so concerned about the Batwoman statue, but when they charged me last week, it was almost $200 and I was wondering if they charged me for the Catwoman AND Batwoman Bombshells at once, which seems likely.

This is what happened

Fave suggestions for book reading club

1) Superior Foes of Spider-Man
2) Hawkeye
3) Alias

Ms Marvel would be nice but its an ongoing series while the other three are complete. If were looking for something people can read for cheap, they can get on Marvel Unlimited for Foes and Hawkeye.

Alias is a strong contender due to the show and probably the best choice honestly given the rerelease of the collections.

Messi

Fave suggestions for book reading club

1) Superior Foes of Spider-Man
2) Hawkeye
3) Alias

Ms Marvel would be nice but its an ongoing series while the other three are complete. If were looking for something people can read for cheap, they can get on Marvel Unlimited for Foes and Hawkeye.

Alias is a strong contender due to the show and probably the best choice honestly given the rerelease of the collections.

Ms Marvel essentially ends at the last days issues before the reboot though

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'd be down for a Ms. Marvel book club. I just reread Alias afew weeks ago (for the first time in years), and while I love Hawkeye, it's still too early for me to do a reread.

Owzers

Assassin's Creed Syndicate seems okay so far, it's not very impressive though. I think i'm done with the franchise unless it gets a huge change in direction.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Avengers #44 (last issue)

The world is ending and Tony and Cap are more worried in beating the shit out of each other.

Lol

Everything dies

K, I decided and we're just gonna read Walking Dead.

I haven't read the early stuff since I started the series a few years back. I'd actually get down with a reread.

We did a SiP one, it was long and emotional but worth it. So very worth it. But a book that length ends with people dropping off and quitting.

Rachel Rising I'm always down to read.

Have you read Echo?

No, but I should. Was a mini, right? That might be a good contender for book club, too. Less intimidating than Rachel Rising or SiP.

Messi

I haven't read the early stuff since I started the series a few years back. I'd actually get down with a reread.

No, but I should. Was a mini, right? That might be a good contender for book club, too. Less intimidating than Rachel Rising or SiP.

Echo is really great and it was 30 issues. It's all available in one omnibus too.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Onward with the further adventures in the Ultimate Universe. I think I must have made it through the worst of it, as there really wasn't anything entirely offensive to good taste this time.

Bendis's Enemy/Mystery/Doom trilogy. This seems to be wrapping up the Fantastic Four for a while and set up Reed to become the Maker. It was good overall, although the end was sort of weird. Ben Grimes tells Sue he loves her, even though like 3 issues earlier he was like he only knew her as a friend of Reed, but sometimes he calls her Suzie. Also within an issue she decides she loves him as well and they should get married. And Johnny thinks this whole thing is awesome.

Next, I read through New Ultimates, which I think (and hope) was the last thing written by Loeb in the Ultimate universe. I guess it was actually ok? At least, it wasn't as terrible as everything else from him so far. The plot was coherent. Things weren't happening randomly. The writing consisted of more than just characters yelling out shitty one liners (I will never forgive him for that horrible "I guess that makes me a motherfucker!" line from Ultimatum). He even went back and explained some of the dumb shit that happened in his previous books, such as why Valkyrie has powers.

Did Marvel finally kick him off everything at this point? The letter section in Ultimate Comics Ultimates make it sound like Ultimate X and New Ultimates were supposed to be series and not just 5 book events. Either way, at least they finally got better writers (Spencer and Hickman).

Also read through Ultimate Avengers vs. New Ultimates. It wasn't great, but I was amused at Millar walking back some of the damage that Loeb did. Stark pays Thor to start talking normal again and to drop the thou and thee. Danvers is shown the door and Fury takes over again. Not related to Loeb, but Captain America had his shield busted for like the 5th time.

Finally, and most importantly, I read through Hickman's 12 issues of Ultimates. It was pretty great. Again, he was able to further repair some of the stupidity from Loeb. Also, the Maker is a great villain and I think Hickman does a fantastic job with him. The storyline did end a bit abruptly, which I assume was from Hickman being pulled off the book so he wouldn't sink with the rest of the Ultimate Universe? I would have liked to seen where he takes the Divided We Fall storyline, but I guess it works out in the end since he moved over to F4/FF and then Avengers and New Avengers.

Messi

Comixology has Supergirl stuff on sale. Any of it particularly good?

I loved the last arc of the most recent series, it's only in singles on the sale #36 - #40 incredible art by Emmanuela Lupacchino

Also Supergirl #12 of the 2005 series by Conner and Palmiotti and Gray is a stand alone issue that features Terra. Everybody loves terra. It's also her first appearance. Amanda Conner is on art btw.

Top Bottom