• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

It feels like I'm in the minority here but I buy them because I haven't read them so I can read them. Age of ultron I liked the movie but never was exposed to the story line so that's why I was looking at it. Are there any others I should really avoid?
i don't really want to sound too critical, but Age of Ultron was just plain bad. It has editorial fingerprints all over it. It originally was just going to be a special one shut which was then expanded to 10 issues. Hitch only did like 4 issues before Pacheco and some other fill in artist came in.

The story direction changes for no real narrative reason that you can justify. It goes to being about a nihilist future ruled by ultron to a story about how Wolverine and sue Richards debate about killing Hank Pym. I shit you not when I say Ultron isn't even in the book.

Pick up Rage of Ultron instead by Remender, Opena, Larraz, and White. Haven't read it myself but it's bound to be much much better.

None of it makes any sense. And at the very end Marvel is just like "oh BTW, here's this character Gaiman just gave us."
That was hilarious. Age of Ultron is the biggest Marvel event offender of an unresolved ending just for a new status quo.

I would just stick to creators and characters you enjoy. I've been full digital since I started reading comics, so I can't comment on Omnibi, sorry :p

As for Ultron... not sure. Sorry :p Again :p I mostly just know that Age is crap.

That's sort of the problem too. I was either too young or I just didn't think about there being that many different creators so at least for x-men, I know I like it but it's scatter shot. Plus I have the added detriment of one of my favorite characters being in most of the arcs that people say to avoid at all costs. :D

Any good magneto storylines I should look at? I read that mini series with his origin last year and New X-Men and recent Magneto run that ended. Not sure if I read anything else recently.

Planetary if you don't already own it.

That's in my cart list I posted. I've really wanted it after hearing it mentioned since last year and seeing it mentioned in last month's thread is actually what made me start digging through omnibuses on Instocktrade again.

New Frontier Deluxe Edition

Only $25? Added to the list.

Was there more than one Civil war or do you mean the one in 2006?

The one is 2006 is pretty bad, yeah. The one from 2015, which recently ended, is pretty damn good.

Since you're on a spending spree, might wanna replace Age of Ultron for Transmetropolitan. it's from the same author as Planetary, and gets almost as much praise.

Messi

For non superhero omnibuses Strangers in Paradise omnibus is incredible value for 2000 pages of amazing slice of life.

The one is 2006 is pretty bad, yeah. The one from 2015, which recently ended, is pretty damn good.

Since you're on a spending spree, might wanna replace Age of Ultron for Transmetropolitan. it's from the same author as Planetary, and gets almost as much praise.

For non superhero omnibuses Strangers in Paradise omnibus is incredible value for 2000 pages of amazing slice of life.

Sweet, I'll look at both of these seem I've never heard of them.

Does anyone think I have to absolutely buy any of these X-men ones or that they might go out of print soon:

X-Men Age of Apocolypse Companion
X-Men Avengers Onslaught
X-Men Fatal Attraction

I think I've limited my must buy list currently to:

Rage of Ultron
Deadpool Omni
Infinity Gauntlet
Infinity
Planetary
Uncanny X-Men Vol 2 Omni

I'll any of the X-men if I should get them this order or they might disappear in the future but it brings the order down to $278 and then once I'm close to finishing those I'll replenish I think. I'm just trying to keep from holding off and then having to pay double the price or more because it's not printed anymore.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions, it's helped a lot!

Messi

I wonder if Infinitys impact is lessened if you are not reading Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers.

Is it just that well written? I see it mentioned as a love story which isn't really up my alley, especially if I'm reading 2000 pages of it but it seems to be so highly regarded. Really interesting to me.

It's about love and friendship and life. It's over a big span of time and you see these people's lives develop.

The art is incredible too. So much so I totally bough a page of it.

FyCIh1DI_3108151937131.jpg

Decided to pick up a graphicaudio cd for my long drive this weekend. Was expecting at best a story that was so cheesy you can laugh at, but I thought it was pretty entertaining. I picked up the 52 ones. Kind of want to check out COIE, IC & FC. Had no idea audio books existed for comic books.

That's sort of the problem too. I was either too young or I just didn't think about there being that many different creators so at least for x-men, I know I like it but it's scatter shot. Plus I have the added detriment of one of my favorite characters being in most of the arcs that people say to avoid at all costs. :D

Any good magneto storylines I should look at? I read that mini series with his origin last year and New X-Men and recent Magneto run that ended. Not sure if I read anything else recently.
Magneto Testament by Pak is excellent

Not aware of other Magneto centered series that are well received.

To try and expand on some of my previous comments and general reception of modern Marvel events to the best of my memory

Avengers Disassembled
This kicked off Bendis's run on Avengers. Mostly pretty alright. Depends if you like Finch's art and shit exploding.

House of M
Scarlet Witch went crazy during Disassembled and this is some fallout from that. I think this one was pretty fun. Lots of alternative universe takes on characters that are mostly good.

Civil War
Millar and McNiven. Anti climatic and heroes become a bunch of dicks. Enjoyable if you treat it like an alternative universe given how many heroes act out of character

Secret Invasion
Bendis and Yu. This was about how each super team had Skrull sleeper agents.

Reborn
Basically just the return of Steve Rogers cap. It's not so much an event as a big part of Brubakers run on Captain America.

Siege
Bendis and Coipel. After Secret Invasion Norman Osborn gets to be top boss. Nick Fury went into hiding and Thor was resurrected during Stracynskis excellent run on Thor. Norman Osborn eventually decides he wants to take on Asgard and brings the OP Sentry/Void with him.

Fear Itself
Probably the most inconsequential of all events. Odin's brother comes back to take over the world. Totally skippable. By Fraction and Immonen.

Avengers v X Men
Mostly inoffensive. Written by all of Marvel's top writers and a lot of great Marvel artists but it just didn't click. The vs alternative series was just fights and probably better.

Infinity
Excellent but really just part of Hickmans run on the Avengers title. Really really recommend reading the entire thing.

Axis
Oy this was so bad. The worst thing Remember ever wrote with some super rushed art. Avoid. Dumb dumb event.

Secret Wars
The conclusion to Hickmans Avengers run. Just read the entire thing. Soo good

Diamond variant.

What does that mean thought? Is it just the cover to the book? Because that seems like a worse cover than the other one. When I search diamond variant I'm getting mostly action figure stuff so it's hard to understand what the difference is.

Magneto Testament by Pak is excellent

Not aware of other Magneto centered series that are well received.

To try and expand on some of my previous comments and general reception of modern Marvel events to the best of my memory

Avengers Disassembled
This kicked off Bendis's run on Avengers. Mostly pretty alright. Depends if you like Finch's art and shit exploding.

House of M
Scarlet Witch went crazy during Disassembled and this is some fallout from that. I think this one was pretty fun. Lots of alternative universe takes on characters that are mostly good.

Civil War
Millar and McNiven. Anti climatic and heroes become a bunch of dicks. Enjoyable if you treat it like an alternative universe given how many heroes act out of character

Secret Invasion
Bendis and Yu. This was about how each super team had Skrull sleeper agents.

Reborn
Basically just the return of Steve Rogers cap. It's not so much an event as a big part of Brubakers run on Captain America.

Siege
Bendis and Coipel. After Secret Invasion Norman Osborn gets to be top boss. Nick Fury went into hiding and Thor was resurrected during Stracynskis excellent run on Thor. Norman Osborn eventually decides he wants to take on Asgard and brings the OP Sentry/Void with him.

Fear Itself
Probably the most inconsequential of all events. Odin's brother comes back to take over the world. Totally skippable. By Fraction and Immonen.

Avengers v X Men
Mostly inoffensive. Written by all of Marvel's top writers and a lot of great Marvel artists but it just didn't click. The vs alternative series was just fights and probably better.

Infinity
Excellent but really just part of Hickmans run on the Avengers title. Really really recommend reading the entire thing.

Axis
Oy this was so bad. The worst thing Remember ever wrote with some super rushed art. Avoid. Dumb dumb event.

Secret Wars
The conclusion to Hickmans Avengers run. Just read the entire thing. Soo good

Awesome, thanks for the synopsis of the major events. And yeah, magneto testament was the origin one I was referring to in my other post. I'm so sad that's no longer in print, I'd love to have a physical copy of it.

What does that mean thought? Is it just the cover to the book? Because that seems like a worse cover than the other one. When I search diamond variant I'm getting mostly action figure stuff so it's hard to understand what the difference is.

It's just a different cover. Internally, it's exactly the same.

It's just a different cover. Internally, it's exactly the same.

So it's a variant where most of it is an ugly blue and black block with an obnoxiously small good cover in the middle? I guess I'm just confused because I fee like I'm missing something, if they had the art they're showcasing was bigger it'd be cool but instead it's just awkward and looks terrible... Sexy Cable cover it is then.

And holy shit they reprinted Magneto Testament?!?!?!?! HNNNNNG

So it's a variant where most of it is an ugly blue and black block with an obnoxiously small good cover in the middle? I guess I'm just confused because I fee like I'm missing something, if they had the art they're showcasing was bigger it'd be cool but instead it's just awkward and looks terrible... Sexy Cable cover it is then.

All of the old reprints have hideous covers.

All of the old reprints have hideous covers.

I'm not gonna lie, the cover art for the x-force Omnibus I wanted is ugly enough that I'm kind of thankful for the huge black bars sandwiching it...

I've finalized my order:

Code:
AVENGERS RAGE OF ULTRON OGN HC	$13.24		
$13.24	Delete

DEADPOOL BY JOE KELLY OMNIBUS HC	$66.25		
$66.25	Delete

INFINITY GAUNTLET OMNIBUS HC PEREZ CVR (current printing)	$66.25		
$66.25	Delete

INFINITY HC	$39.75		
$39.75	Delete

PLANETARY OMNIBUS HC	$39.75		
$39.75	Delete

UNCANNY X-MEN OMNIBUS HC VOL 02	$52.99		
$52.99	Delete

X-FORCE PREM HC PHALANX COVENANT	$21.19		
$21.19	Delete

X-MEN FATAL ATTRACTIONS OMNIBUS HC	$52.99		
$52.99	Delete

X-MEN MAGNETO TESTAMENT TP NEW PTG	$10.59		
$10.59

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, most looked really awesome and I added them to my wishlist for the next round of purchases but didn't want to make this one too large.

VanWinkle

I'm not gonna lie, the cover art for the x-force Omnibus I wanted is ugly enough that I'm kind of thankful for the huge black bars sandwiching it...

I've finalized my order:

Code:
AVENGERS RAGE OF ULTRON OGN HC	$13.24		
$13.24	Delete

DEADPOOL BY JOE KELLY OMNIBUS HC	$66.25		
$66.25	Delete

INFINITY GAUNTLET OMNIBUS HC PEREZ CVR (current printing)	$66.25		
$66.25	Delete

INFINITY HC	$39.75		
$39.75	Delete

PLANETARY OMNIBUS HC	$39.75		
$39.75	Delete

UNCANNY X-MEN OMNIBUS HC VOL 02	$52.99		
$52.99	Delete

X-FORCE PREM HC PHALANX COVENANT	$21.19		
$21.19	Delete

X-MEN FATAL ATTRACTIONS OMNIBUS HC	$52.99		
$52.99	Delete

X-MEN MAGNETO TESTAMENT TP NEW PTG	$10.59		
$10.59

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, most looked really awesome and I added them to my wishlist for the next round of purchases but didn't want to make this one too large.

I can't wait to start really reading my Planetary omnibus (I technically read the first issue, but that's just because I couldn't help myself). It looks soo amazing. I brought it down to my parents' house a couple of hours ago and my dad couldn't believe it. He had used to be a huge comic fan up until the early 90's or so. He was blown away by such a thing as an omnibus, haha.

Wait, that counts as an Omnibus?

BUY IT, BUY IT NOOOOW

Does Omnibus have a special meaning? I just like hardbound collections, preferably larger ones that collect an arc. So I prefer to not buy like say Court of Owls and such of batman as the come out but say a collection of 1-25 of Snyder's current run or something. I just know the omnibi I see seem to do that but I'm not sure if it has different meaning since like I said, DC seems to not use that term at all. So yeah, that's like 500 pages so that's "omnibus" in my mind even if it's not called that.

arkon

Does Omnibus have a special meaning? I just like hardbound collections, preferably larger ones that collect an arc. So I prefer to not buy like say Court of Owls and such of batman as the come out but say a collection of 1-25 of Snyder's current run or something. I just know the omnibi I see seem to do that but I'm not sure if it has different meaning since like I said, DC seems to not use that term at all. So yeah, that's like 500 pages so that's "omnibus" in my mind even if it's not called that.

DC uses the term too. It's exactly what you're thinking, a big fat collection of comics.

DC uses the term too. It's exactly what you're thinking, a big fat collection of comics.

Ok, cool that's what I figured it meant. :) And I see DC occasionally use it but they seem to like to create those "Absolute" editions instead of calling something an omnibus from my limited searching. Probably because the dramatically higher markup but some of those absolute versions are gorgeous.

arkon

Ok, cool that's what I figured it meant. :) And I see DC occasionally use it but they seem to like to create those "Absolute" editions instead of calling something an omnibus from my limited searching. Probably because the dramatically higher markup but some of those absolute versions are gorgeous.

The Absolute editions are a special line. They are oversized (check comparison shots between say Absolute Planetary and the Planertary omnibus) and are supposed to be prestigious collections of well-received comics, usually with slipcases. The Marvel equivalent is something like the Adamantium collections although not quite sure those have taken off in the same way.

Off the top of my head some recent-ish DC omniboo include the Geoff Johns Green Lantern volumes. JSA, Doom Patrol, Invisibles and Animal Man.

VanWinkle

Yeah, DC, from what I know of, has the following premium collections: a.) Omnibus (just like you would see anywhere else, and they refer to them as such), b.) Absolute editions (probably about the best made collection of comics you could possibly find with hard slipcases, great bindings, ribbon bookmark, and very oversized, but not HUGE pagecounts like omnibi are), and c.) Deluxe editions, which I honestly don't know much about. They seem to vary in size from 64 pages like Batman The Killing Joke, to ~500 pages like Swamp Thing and Muliversity.

Yeah, DC, from what I know of, has the following premium collections: a.) Omnibus (just like you would see anywhere else, and they refer to them as such), b.) Absolute editions (probably about the best made collection of comics you could possibly find, but not HUGE collections like omnibi are), and c.) Deluxe editions, which I honestly don't know much about. They seem to vary in size from 64 pages like Batman The Killing Joke, to ~500 pages like Swamp Thing and Muliversity.

Yeah, I seem to see them throw around "deluxe collections" more than omnibus but apparently there's more omnibusi than I thought since arkon pointed out quite a few. I wish the Absolute versions were somewhat cheaper, I love them but the premium especially with the smaller number of pages they collect is just not economical. I still need to get all of Sandman in Absolute versions, that's something I'll gladly pay an obnoxious amount for but I'd also love some of the batman ones if they weren't 2-3x the price of the normal hardcovers they have.

VanWinkle

Yeah, I seem to see them throw around "deluxe collections" more than omnibus but apparently there's more omnibusi than I thought since arkon pointed out quite a few. I wish the Absolute versions were somewhat cheaper, I love them but the premium especially with the smaller number of pages they collect is just not economical. I still need to get all of Sandman in Absolute versions, that's something I'll gladly pay an obnoxious amount for but I'd also love some of the batman ones if they weren't 2-3x the price of the normal hardcovers they have.

Just a quick Amazon search for DC Omnibus yields a bunch of results, as you can see.

I'd LOVE to have even one absolute edition of some Batman story or something. Absolute Editions seem to be equivalent to regular graphic novel/tpd length in story instead of an omnibus with 600++ pages, so it's really hard for me to justify ever buying one despite it's incredible quality. Besides, a hardcover omnibus really is made really well and is oversized, too, so I will stick with this down the line (will never realistically amass a large collection, but will definitely get more).

There are some new omnibus editions for Sandman that aren't Absolutes.

They seem unwieldy

Yeah, I saw those on amazon earlier today when I was poking around. I've enjoyed that series enough though that I think I kind of refuse to not buy absolute. I haven't seen them in person yet but from the pictures I've seen online they seem to be really nicely put together.

Unwieldy? Pfft. The Official Omnibus Reading Position would like to have a word with you.

Maybe I'm too used to reading large science fiction books but I've never had a problem with an omnibus.

Owzers

this month's DCBS pre-order listing looks very bland, i might have to give the first copy of Starbrand and Nightmask a try. Probably waiting for amazon to order the bruce timm wonder woman statue for paint reasons.

Paint.

Yeah, I saw those on amazon earlier today when I was poking around. I've enjoyed that series enough though that I think I kind of refuse to not buy absolute. I haven't seen them in person yet but from the pictures I've seen online they seem to be really nicely put together.

Maybe I'm too used to reading large science fiction books but I've never had a problem with an omnibus.
I have the four main absolutes. Love them. If my house was burning I'd save those absolutes. They are perfect imo. However some of the earlier versions of the absolutes had glued binding I think

Unwieldy? Pfft. The Official Omnibus Reading Position would like to have a word with you.
That needs to be in every OP tbh

Apparently the Sandman omnibi are really well-made.
Yeah I've heard good things about them but I probably won't buy them considering I have most of the singles and the absolutes. At one point I had most of the trades too.

I have the four main absolutes. Love them. If my house was burning I'd save those absolutes. They are perfect imo. However some of the earlier versions of the absolutes had glued binding I think

That needs to be in every OP tbh

Yeah I've heard good things about them but I probably won't buy them considering I have most of the singles and the absolutes. At one point I had most of the trades too.
All the ones on in stock say mr which I'm assuming are reprints. Somehow only the third volume isn't mr though which doesn't make sense.

If the absolute with death any good? I didn't even know that existed.

Edit: Is Punisher Max the one everyone loves? I feel like there was one series of that that everyone seemed to love.

Edit: Is Punisher Max the one everyone loves? I feel like there was one series of that that everyone seemed to love.

Punisher Max v1 is indeed that. v2 is pretty dang good, but not as good as v1.

Drop v1 after Ennis stops writing it, mind.

After reading Punisher Max, read Fury Max: My War Gone By.

problem with fury max is that you'll forever after be acutely aware of how misused Nick Fury is. Even more than Castle.

Am I the only one annoyed by these Batman Noir B/W editions that DC keeps releasing, the only available OHC sized editions of Long Halloween, Hush, and now the Black Mirror?

Just get them Deluxe editions already... -__-

All the ones on in stock say mr which I'm assuming are reprints. Somehow only the third volume isn't mr though which doesn't make sense.

I think the lack of an MR notation just has more to do with whoever at DCBS/IST input the title information into the system that day.

Absolute Death is awesome. Though I also say that as someone who got it from a B&N clearance sale for $25.

Punisher Max v1 is indeed that. v2 is pretty dang good, but not as good as v1.

Drop v1 after Ennis stops writing it, mind.

After reading Punisher Max, read Fury Max: My War Gone By.

problem with fury max is that you'll forever after be acutely aware of how misused Nick Fury is. Even more than Castle.

And then get Jason Aaron's Punisher MAX run. Shit was on fire from the get go.

I just read the first trade of the Azzarello Chang WW run. What a letdown. Hope it picks up

MR? Not sure what that means. Probably mature or mature rating.

I haven't actually read death in about a decade so I don't remember much but it's Sandman mythos written by Sandman so it's super likely to be great.

Owzers

I just read the first trade of the Azzarello Chang WW run. What a letdown. Hope it picks up

MR? Not sure what that means. Probably mature or mature rating.

I haven't actually read death in about a decade so I don't remember much but it's Sandman mythos written by Sandman so it's super likely to be great.

It's all one big story that eventually disappoints you, you shouldn't have reached disappointment this early. Vol 2 was kinda good. Also, I stumbled upon a new Guardians book while browsing dcbs' update. Did you guys know Abnett is back? Weird.

Top Bottom