• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

is there an anad thread? i feel like OT would really welcome these fresh and exciting new ideas.

also, in iron man?

that thor panel is my everything

Mudcrab

All this ANAD hype! Even some for Contest of Champions!

I always believed in you, Al.

is there an anad thread? i feel like OT would really welcome these fresh and exciting new ideas.

also, in iron man?

that thor panel is my everything

There was one for the initial announcements of ANAD no point in bumping it now imo.

youre_serious_futurama.gif

VanWinkle

Actually I'd say ASM is the only one that ISN'T overpriced. 62 pages digitally is nothing to scoff at. That's over twice the page count of most comics, and it's about twice the cost, so...

Actually I'd say ASM is the only one that ISN'T overpriced. 62 pages digitally is nothing to scoff at. That's over twice the page count of most comics, and it's about twice the cost, so...

A clear case where quantity will fool you. Those 62 pages are padded with side stories for characters nobody cares about, or so I've heard.

The hype here is making me wary. I mean, all this excitement over Slott Spiderman? I suppose I'll need to see all of this for myself this evening.

Green Arrow #45 is a book that exists. I think I'm gonna drop the line, it's just not holding my interest. Overly self-serious dialogue, decent-to-mediocre art (there were a few snatches of brilliance here and there, but the overall product is very middling), and decidedly weak plotting has me tuning out. It's a shame, 'cause I really dig Eiko. Ah well.

A clear case where quantity will fool you. Those 62 pages are padded with side stories for characters nobody cares about, or so I've heard.

I wouldn't say they are characters nobody cares about. ASM #1 is the Avengers 0 book for Spider-Man, but it's a better deal imho because more than half the book is the first issue of the flagship title. The rest are preview stories from the new Spidey books. There are five:
Spider-Man 2099, Silk, Spider-Woman, Web Warriors and Spider-Man (Miles)

Hagi

No, but it's certainly questionable when you're pricing something at $6.

this set of spidey books seem to intermingle with what Slott is doing in Amazing so I don't really mind. I could have done without Web Warriors though but then that's the point of the backups for these things to try and get you interested in something you might not have otherwise tried.

Batman Beyond has turned into one of DCs best books. The way it has tied in Futures End, Convergence, and present day continuity, it's one of the few books that takes present day DCU into account.

Ok, I'd like to amend that to "padded with side stories". That's just fact, right?

not really

padded implies they shouldn't be there or that they're an excuse for the higher price

the price is higher because there are more stories

you're phrasing belies a cynical view of the facts

a more objective view is that "there are 60+ pages of comics, thus the comic costs $6."

Literally laughed out loud at
Thor's cameo
in Iron Man.

No, but it's certainly questionable when you're pricing something at $6.

I disagree.

$4 for a normal Marvel comic book, standard page count. An oversized issue is typically $5, and ASM #1, itself, is oversized by 10+ pages. So we're talking about a dollar for 5 extra stories which have generally been pretty entertaining so far (I haven't finished them yet). That's a pretty good deal to me.

not really

padded implies they shouldn't be there or that they're an excuse for the higher price

the price is higher because there are more stories

you're phrasing belies a cynical view of the facts

a more objective view is that "there are 60+ pages of comics, thus the comic costs $6."

..."it's 62 pages and it has side stories".

Are we getting closer to an accurate description?

I am not comfortable paying $6 for the content in that comic. I would feel more comfortable paying $6 if it were 62 pages of ASM and not ASM & Friends. That's all I'm trying to say.

Green Arrow #45 is a book that exists. I think I'm gonna drop the line, it's just not holding my interest. Overly self-serious dialogue, decent-to-mediocre art (there were a few snatches of brilliance here and there, but the overall product is very middling), and decidedly weak plotting has me tuning out. It's a shame, 'cause I really dig Eiko. Ah well.
It's honestly sucked for me since lemire left. It's a shame too because that was hands down my most looked forward to comic reach month.

It's honestly sucked for me since lemire left. It's a shame too because that was hands down my most looked forward to comic reach month.

Honestly, the writing is still about on par with Lemire, IMO. It just doesn't have Sorrentino's astonishing art to carry it any more.

Speaking of less than astonishing art, Green Arrow Annual is kind of a mess. Some panels look like more like poorly cel-shaded 3D than anything else, and the story is kind of all over the place. I think I would've much preferred it if they took a break from serious stuff and just did an "Ollie and Emiko attend a Halloween parade, things get crazy" story. As is, the social justice message is kind of dull.

Messi

I love the blanket statement that no one cares about the side stories or the characters. Just because you don't doesn't mean others don't care. If one of those stories is about Anna Maria then it is already worth the price to me. Plus I care about the Spiderman extended cast.

Hagi

I am not comfortable paying $6 for the content in that comic. I would feel more comfortable paying $6 if it were 62 pages of ASM and not ASM & Friends. That's all I'm trying to say.

Yeah if you have no interest whatsoever is the "Spidey Universe" you'd be better saving your money then. Everything seems to be tied together that I'm sure we will get another Spidey crossover next year.

I love the blanket statement that no one cares about the side stories or the characters. Just because you don't doesn't mean others don't care. If one of those stories is about Anna Maria then it is already worth the price to me. Plus I care about the Spiderman extended cast.

If you like Anna Maria at all trust me you want to be reading this book.

Owzers

Anna Maria is Silk's partner in crime.

Yeah if you have no interest whatsoever is the "Spidey Universe" you'd be better saving your money then. Everything seems to be tied together that I'm sure we will get another Spidey crossover next year.

Well, hold on a second. That initial statement was poorly phrased on my part to begin with. I am interested in the Spidey universe, but I rather check out those books separately from this. I don't want it stuffed into another book.

lmao
no kidding

Boogiepop

Batman Beyond has turned into one of DCs best books. The way it has tied in Futures End, Convergence, and present day continuity, it's one of the few books that takes present day DCU into account.

Wait, it's solid? I'd written it off since I feel like I heard the first issue wasn't so great, plus it apparently chucking Terry aside doesn't really sit well with me.

Edit: Did it completely throw away Batman Beyond continuity, btw? Or does it still tie into that?

Hagi

Well, hold on a second. That initial statement was poorly phrased on my part to begin with. I am interested in the Spidey universe, but I rather check out those books separately from this. I don't want it stuffed into another book.

but this is the book that is setting everything up surely you'd prefer to spend $6 once to get a sense of where they are going than spend money on 4 or 5 separate books and find you don't like 3 of them. I mean reading this has already confirmed I'm not going to be getting Web Warriors so that's money saved on my end.

I actually bought the damn thing. Stop giving me crap guys. :(

oh lunchbox

Messi

Do you would rather pay 2.99 or 3.99 each fir those stories instead of having them in this book?

Yeah, you guys are jerks!

but this is the book that is setting everything up surely you'd prefer to spend $6 once to get a sense of where they are going than spend money on 4 or 5 separate books and find you don't like 3 of them. I mean reading this has already confirmed I'm not going to be getting Web Warriors so that's money saved on my end.

Fine, fine. We shall see how I feel about it after I read it.

Do you would rather pay 2.99 or 3.99 each fir those stories instead of having them in this book?

Well, I do this anyway when I don't have a preview for a book.

Wait, it's solid? I'd written it off since I feel like I heard the first issue wasn't so great, plus it apparently chucking Terry aside doesn't really sit well with me.

Edit: Did it completely throw away Batman Beyond continuity, btw? Or does it still tie into that?

First 2 issues were slow but 3-5 have been fantastic. It really is a delight to read every month.

Just read Tomasi's first Detective Comics and really enjoyed it. It was classic Tomasi from Batman and Robin. The script was genuine to every character. Wasn't a hack job in the slightest like his Arkham Knight stuff.

Top Bottom