• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

PsychBat!

Banned

giphy.gif

I tend to not to buy single issues unless I really like the book, but I do tend to impuelse buy #1s for some reason. Anyone have the same issue? ANAD is making me concerned.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Secret Wars 06

Reed and Ultimate Reed....working together? This is ether the most awesome thing ever or the scariest thing ever. Ether way Doom is fucked.

Yeah, this is one of the few things I really wanted to happen. The 2 Reeds dealing with each other, together to take down GD.

He thinks she's really boring (has no personality) and hasn't had a character arc worth mentioning.

Some of us in here agree, including me.
I see some merit in that, from what I have read. (Still need to finish DeConnick's run.) I just see him taking frequent jabs at her if given the chance.

Megatron

I tend to not to buy single issues unless I really like the book, but I do tend to impuelse buy #1s for some reason. Anyone have the same issue? ANAD is making me concerned.

I did that with marvel now. I'm over it now though. I just buy the digital copies off ebay. Or the trades.

After beating Transformers Devastation I now really need to interact with some Transformers media. Preferably the comics. Welp, it's as good a time as any, I suppose.

Mindwipe

After beating Transformers Devastation I now really need to interact with some Transformers media. Preferably the comics. Welp, it's as good a time as any, I suppose.

On the plus side, welcome to the golden age of Transformers comics (which have a pretty good strike rate as is).

tim1138

I was thinking about the Snyder/Capullo thing this morning while walking the dog and had a thought. I wonder if they're going to be taking over Justice League? It would be bigger than Batman in the sense it's a team book and with the roster of characters. Obviously it's been running since the N52 launched, but it's been untouched by status quo changes and developments in the characters solo books (including ones Johns was writing himself).

Sadist

ANAD Spider-Man was okayish. Banter between Webs and Bobbi is fun though. Hook at the end a bit predictable.
Hungry for love even in death. Damn Otto.

Secret Wars #6 was great. Siege #4 great. Old Man Logan's ending... felt a bit, uh, weird. Still nice though.

If you're looking for an ongoing, More than Meets the Eye is the go-to which is like 40 issues in. Also Last Stand of the Wreckers is one of the gold standards from the IDW era. Basically anything by James Roberts

Mindwipe

If you're looking for an ongoing, More than Meets the Eye is the go-to which is like 40 issues in. Also Last Stand of the Wreckers is one of the gold standards from the IDW era. Basically anything by James Roberts

Yup. The vast majority of IDWs stuff is actually very good, but the start of MTMTE Volume 1 was deliberately designed as a suitable jumping on point, and you can go backwards to the more Earth centric stuff later if you like it.

Does Comics Gaf have a consensus on Joshua Williamson's Birthright? I just finished reading the first issue. On first impressions, it reminds me largely of Bone. The art is absolutely gorgeous. I wasn't immediately taken with Williamson's writing, but the bold lines and colours drew me in. I'm keen to see where Williamson takes it, but I'm concerned lacklustre sales might stop him from delivering an ending. I"m also not completely sold on Williamson's writing. I'd love to hear some opinions from those familiar with the book.

Edit:
What's the go on posting pages/panels? I've seen it done from time to time and as a digital reader, I'd love to share examples of stellar work. Is there a policy I should follow?

Owzers

I have the first rat queens trade, collects 1-5, rat queens vol 2 collects 6-10. Do I get that for $9, the deluxe hardcover for $20 and then wait over a year to read more, or buy 6-10 on the cmx digital sale and future digital issues?

Mindwipe

Does Comics Gaf have a consensus on Joshua Williamson's Birthright? I just finished reading the first issue. On first impressions, it reminds me largely of Bone. The art is absolutely gorgeous. I wasn't immediately taken with Williamson's writing, but the bold lines and colours drew me in. I'm keen to see where Williamson takes it, but I'm concerned lacklustre sales might stop him from delivering an ending. I"m also not completely sold on Williamson's writing. I'd love to hear some opinions from those familiar with the book.

I bought the trade off the back of the first issue in one of the CMX digital sales, and it was okay. It's made it to two trades, so I imagine it will get a conclusion somehow, even if it's a bit rushed.

I have the first rat queens trade, collects 1-5, rat queens vol 2 collects 6-10. Do I get that for $9, the deluxe hardcover for $20 and then wait over a year to read more, or buy 6-10 on the cmx digital sale and future digital issues?

Hard to pass up the CMX sale price man.

I would go with the digital singles and deluxe hardcover trades. I had a similar question regarding Saga and that's the choice I made.

I bought the trade off the back of the first issue in one of the CMX digital sales, and it was okay. It's made it to two trades, so I imagine it will get a conclusion somehow, even if it's a bit rushed.

Hard to pass up the CMX sale price man.

What did you think of Williamson's writing? I'm sold on the art, but I'm concerned his writing won't be able to match it.

Zombine

Banned

Edit:
What's the go on posting pages/panels? I've seen it done from time to time and as a digital reader, I'd love to share examples of stellar work. Is there a policy I should follow?

When it comes to pages, be smart. If a book legit just came out the day prior, don't post shit like the last page or critical moments. I would post anything that has been released as an official preview to comic sites, because anything else is technically a scan.

When it comes to pages, be smart. If a book legit just came out the day prior, don't post shit like the last page or critical moments. I would post anything that has been released as an official preview to comic sites, because anything else is technically a scan.

That's common sense, no? Or does that happen often? I haven't seen it happen much in my time here. See that's what I thought, that pages/panels are technically scans. Thanks for clarifying. So stick to official publicity releases, basically.

Is it worth it starting the Transformers IDW run from the beginning in 2005? Was is good?

Owzers

I would go with the digital singles and deluxe hardcover trades. I had a similar question regarding Saga and that's the choice I made.
I went for issues 6-10 digital, price won and I don't want to blind buy deluxe hardcovers even having read the first five. I think rebuying things in deluxe format is starting to become like buying movies I've seen and never watch again, I have to make sure to only rebuy my absolute favorites and preferably when the run is over.

Zombine

Banned
That's common sense, no? Or does that happen often? I haven't seen it happen much in my time here. See that's what I thought, that pages/panels are technically scans. Thanks for clarifying. So stick to official publicity releases, basically.

It happens frequently enough for it to be slightly annoying. Usually it's just Tizoc posting pages from Transformers but nobody really knows what he's getting excited about anyways :p

Something about buying Grimlock for a bajalillion dollars or whatever.

It happens frequently enough for it to be slightly annoying. Usually it's just Tizoc posting pages from Transformers but nobody really knows what he's getting excited about anyways :p

I can imagine the excitement of some reveals pushes people to post without thinking. Hahaha. I'll look out for those Transformer posts. Maybe it'll help drum up hype for the new game.

I was thinking about the Snyder/Capullo thing this morning while walking the dog and had a thought. I wonder if they're going to be taking over Justice League? It would be bigger than Batman in the sense it's a team book and with the roster of characters. Obviously it's been running since the N52 launched, but it's been untouched by status quo changes and developments in the characters solo books (including ones Johns was writing himself).

That was my one thought as to what it could be. The League is probably closer to what it was before N52, and hasn't changed much since then, than any other major entity in DC's lineup. It's also the one thing they've got that could conceivably be called "bigger than Batman."

That was my one thought as to what it could be. The League is probably closer to what it was before N52, and hasn't changed much since then, than any other major entity in DC's lineup. It's also the one thing they've got that could conceivably be called "bigger than Batman."

Has Johns talked much about his plans for Justice League beyond Darkseid War? It could serve as an appropriate bookend to his run, bringing Justice League full circle.

Mindwipe

What did you think of Williamson's writing? I'm sold on the art, but I'm concerned his writing won't be able to match it.

Dialogue is quite good. You know the "twist" already. Pacing seems a bit slow tbh. It's fun but definitely a wait for trade read for me.

Is it worth it starting the Transformers IDW run from the beginning in 2005? Was is good?

Yes, for a fair while (but it goes through a stinkingly bad patch for a year or so before it split into MTMTE/RiD).

It's also got an odd structure, with no ongoing for a long time, just lots of miniseries and individual one offs that are mostly necessary.

However, it isn't a standout until MTMTE, which is normally why I'd recommend starting there and going back if things are grabbing you.

I did a quick google, but I couldn't find anything solid. I know he has talked about long term plans for Justice League, but that was in the lead up to Darkseid War, which will be entering its second arc in December.

Yeah, he's talked a ton about the Darkseid war during the leadup to it, but nothing I found has a word about what he's thinking of doing next. Could be that they're taking him and Lee off the title and giving it to Snyder and Capullo.

Which would be amazing. Though I really don't want to lose Capullo on Batman, seeing him on JL would be fantastic.

Probably more bitter Carol is getting shine over Monica Rambeux

As is only right. Monica >>>>>> Carol

Hagi

As long as you tag things properly it shouldn't be an issue but often people just post spoilers with no context. I mean someone just dumped pages from Iron Man earlier without letting people know what is they were posting. I'd think you'd be able to post digital pages from books you own but I don't really know the specific rules. I just thought we went by a "don't post scans for books not out yet" and "don't spoil stuff for people that isn't even been out for a day"

Has Johns talked much about his plans for Justice League beyond Darkseid War? It could serve as an appropriate bookend to his run, bringing Justice League full circle.

I'm a little doubtful it will happen because he just mentioned a cross over with Hitch's JLA coming up next year, and he mentioned seven seas for the end of 2015 (obv not happening by then).

https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/status/647532740863115264

Seven seas might be a miniseries though if you want to believe Rich Johnston.

A slight update on seven seas.

Tizoc

The suggestions for posting images and spoilers are in the OP, maaaaan.

Direct posting of full-page images from newly released comics using the tags is strictly prohibited, and outgoing links to such should be accompanied by the appropriate spoiler warnings.[/quote]
The rule applies to newly released comics, the post I quoted was relating to older issues, so this shouldn't be against it.
Unless I'm missing a rule, in which case, do enlighten me~

Yeah, he's talked a ton about the Darkseid war during the leadup to it, but nothing I found has a word about what he's thinking of doing next. Could be that they're taking him and Lee off the title and giving it to Snyder and Capullo.

Which would be amazing. Though I really don't want to lose Capullo on Batman, seeing him on JL would be fantastic.

As is only right. Monica >>>>>> Carol

The first arc of Darkseid War is six issues long. If the second arc is also six issues long, then it should end alongside Snyder's current Batman arc. I'm sure I've read that Gordonbats is only here for twelve months. The timing could work. We could be completely off the mark, but it's fun to think about. I'm not sure that I want Snyder and Capullo to leave Bats either, but without a doubt, they'd kill it on Justice League.

I am not familiar with Monica Rambeau, but I am, Carol. Can you recommend some stories that illustrate why she is a much better character?

So, the reactions I had yesterday to not enjoying Daredevil has me wondering - when does it get better? These Stan Lee Daredevils are really tough to read and enjoy. I'm reading them in release order.

I'm a little doubtful it will happen because he just mentioned a cross over with Hitch's JLA coming up next year, and he mentioned seven seas for the end of 2015 (obv not happening by then).

https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/status/647532740863115264

Seven seas might be a miniseries though if you want to believe Rich Johnston.

There we go. A cross-over between JLA and Justice League sounds epic. I'm not reading Hitch's JLA, trade waiting it, but that might change my mind. I was under the impression it was a twelve issue mini-series though? As for Snyder and Capullo, I wonder what they could possible be revamping then.

Hagi

That seems to only refer to new issues in regards to spoilers? I was asking a general question about posting, but I guess I won't next time?

hey it's always better to ask about things if you're not sure

So, the reactions I had yesterday to not enjoying Daredevil has me wondering - when does it get better? These Stan Lee Daredevils are really tough to read and enjoy. I'm reading them in release order.

around 1979

Top Bottom