• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

It's cool, I'm not surprised by your opinion. I don't expect a Valiant fan to be that picky about art.

yFoU2ZV.gif

I demand your avatar be submitted as an official submission to be considered for Rat Queens artist. That's how it works right? You do Rat Queens fan art and then you get hired?

Do it, ed!

Also, my god, the shade in this thread today. Good lord.

I finally got this month's (well, last month's) Judge Dredd Mega Collection books today. Turns out the post office sent them to a street with a similar name. Finally get to read part 2 of Day of Chaos!

Anecdotal, but there does seem to be a lot of interest in Valiant in general out there. My library finally added The Valiant to their catalog. Been three days and there are already 9 people on the waiting list.
For comparison, Batman and Robin v5 had 5 after a week.

Boogiepop

So, I was reading some more Fraction Iron Man last night, really enjoying it, and I got to the big splash panel of "hey look at all of these bad guys teamed up" and... geeze, Iron Man does not have the best rogues gallery. I mean, I like to think I know a good bit of comics stuff and I still didn't know who half those dudes were. Like, I feel like you have a problem when the Melter is one of your "big name" enemies (and one of the ones that I did indeed recognize, though I guess not that incarnation).

Which got me thinking: why haven't the heroes with a poor rogues gallery been able to balance out to least a decent collection? Like, with Spider-man or Batman, you've got a big old list of popular ones so it makes sense that you'd primarily draw from that. But with Iron Man, I don't feel like you "need" to use most of the characters except for I suppose the Mandarin. So it'd make sense to me that you'd try out more new villains in a title like that, and inevitably you'd get some new ones that are at least decent and worth keeping around.

But I guess that things just don't work out like that. I'd be really curious to see a breakdown by character with like, say the last 10 years, telling how many issues/arcs/whatever starred a new villain versus an established one versus I guess a "guest" one (IE how Doom definitely seems to get around).

Messi

It's cool, I'm not surprised by your opinion. I don't expect a Valiant fan to be that picky about art.

Look, she took a top tier book and made it middlin'. That's what she did. A top tear book featuring a hilarious, badass, all-female line up. And now it's on the good side of fair. It's missed opportunity, her art on Rat Queens. These characters have personality and heart. It's been a feature of the book. We are lost visual representation of the heart of this book due to this flat, goofy art.

I'm sorry, I am the biggest feminist in comic fandom. I want women working on female characters. Let's just chalk this up to being a bad
tragic
match.

I'll come up with a good comeback later and make sure to post it then.

Just take the L bro. You got straight up iced.

Mudcrab

Anecdotal, but there does seem to be a lot of interest in Valiant in general out there. My library finally added The Valiant to their catalog. Been three days and there are already 9 people on the waiting list.
For comparison, Batman and Robin v5 had 5 after a week.

Oh I've liked a couple of the Valiant books I've read, I just have the decency to keep it to myself.

Well, both Arrow and Flash's premieres were awesomesauce.

Flash was ok, was more about tying stuff up. Didn't care for how they used Atom Smasher, they even used the Al's name so I know it isn't another Weather Wizard 1.0 situation, so my hopes for him being a significant character has plummeted. It looks like it will kick into full gear with Jay showing up already.

Arrow was more interesting and had better pacing. I like DC's magic side so I think I'll enjoy this season quite a bit. Dahrk already had big screen presence. I enjoyed Vixen's webseries so I'm hoping she shows up this season.

Just wrapped up The Manhattan Projects Vol. 1. Not sure what to think of it, really. Art was okay, not really to my taste but there's a real knack for the strange there. Bizarre machines and beasts are rendered in gorgeous horror. I can appreciate it for what it is, even if I don't precisely like it.

Writing wise... about in the same place. It's well written, but I'm not sure I like the end product of that good writing. The main characters are all, in their way, terrible people, Oppenheimer especially (duh), but the rest are pretty terrible too, and not in an interesting sort of way, either. Einstein is his dickish twin from another world/reality, Feinman is a pathological narcissist (might actually be true to life), the General is an ass. I'm just not feeling attached to these characters; things just... happen to them and to people around them.

Overall, I'm not really feeling compelled to pick up the next volume. Maybe in the next sale.

Just read Action #45. Solid issue. It's a fun story but astetically, I hate dude bro Supes. I do wonder how Clarks life will be after this story. They can't go back to the status quo.

Savitar

I like that.

But then again I thought her recent costume changes were an upgrade over the original which was okay for an animated show but didn't do much else.

We Stand on Guard continues to rock, and with the recent atmosphere in the US and what some people have said about a wall the book feels very timely. Helps that the whole Syrian crisis is talked about in the issue as well. The book actually feels like something that could come true one day.

Just read Action #45. Solid issue. It's a fun story but astetically, I hate dude bro Supes. I do wonder how Clarks life will be after this story. They can't go back to the status quo.

I kinda dig T-Shirt & Jeans Superman, but yeah, they're gonna get him back into the costume eventually. I agree that they're almost certainly not going to get back to the old status quo, though.

Top Bottom