• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

The first arc of Darkseid War is six issues long. If the second arc is also six issues long, then it should end alongside Snyder's current Batman arc. I'm sure I've read that Gordonbats is only here for twelve months. The timing could work. We could be completely off the mark, but it's fun to think about. I'm not sure that I want Snyder and Capullo to leave Bats either, but without a doubt, they'd kill it on Justice League.

I am not familiar with Monica Rambeau, but I am, Carol. Can you recommend some stories that illustrate why she is a much better character?

Nextwave: Agents of HATE.

Read it.

I was thinking about the Snyder/Capullo thing this morning while walking the dog and had a thought. I wonder if they're going to be taking over Justice League? It would be bigger than Batman in the sense it's a team book and with the roster of characters. Obviously it's been running since the N52 launched, but it's been untouched by status quo changes and developments in the characters solo books (including ones Johns was writing himself).

What...ive just got out of uni. Are there rumours of them taking over a new book? It does feel like Johns is going HAM with The Darkseid War in that it'd sorta be hard to top it short of him doing a Crisis story and its practically that already.

Tizoc

So, the reactions I had yesterday to not enjoying Daredevil has me wondering - when does it get better? These Stan Lee Daredevils are really tough to read and enjoy. I'm reading them in release order.

General rule of thumb: Don't read a comic series in release order, it doesn't work for all comic series, only some.
With Daredevil, you should just go with the popular runs in this order:
Frank M.'s 1980s and 1990s run
Bendis and Brubaker's 2000s run (Brubaker starts right after Bendis' run ends)
Mark Waid's run (recently ended)

What...ive just got out of uni. Are there rumours of them taking over a new book? It does feel like Johns is going HAM with The Darkseid War in that it'd sorta be hard to top it short of him doing a Crisis story and its practically that already.

It is a Crisis story. The only thing that makes it not one is that it's contained to one book + a handful of oneshots. Seriously, it's the Anti-Monitor and Darkseid kicking the shit out of each other, and then
the latter dies.
I mean, holy shit.

The Snyder/Capullo rumor got posted yesterday; only deets are that it's something that hasn't changed much since (before?) the New 52, and it's "bigger than Batman."

Is it on Marvel Unlimited? I have a year's worth of monthly codes I have yet to use.

That's where I read it. Fantastic series.

General rule of thumb: Don't read a comic series in release order, it doesn't work for all comic series, only some.

Im working my way through them but thats what i got for my Daredevil colletion. Its like when people ask what should they read for Green Lantern and 99% of people answer with the same thing, Rebirth.

This is the guy that's reading everything Marvel has ever published from the beginning.

The rule applies to newly released comics, the post I quoted was relating to older issues, so this shouldn't be against it.
Unless I'm missing a rule, in which case, do enlighten me~
That seems to only refer to new issues in regards to spoilers? I was asking a general question about posting, but I guess I won't next time?

That's the thing. No suggestions against it, so go right ahead. If you overstep, someone will bring it up.

Obv if someone has recently mentioned that they reading through that arc for the first time ever, one shouldn't be a dick.

I quite like the relaxed and open nature of that particular bit of internal comigaf logic.

doom patrol

giphy.gif

hey it's always better to ask about things if you're not sure

around 1979

A few more years yet till I hate the good years, then! I really don't like Stan Lee as a writer, I don't know if that's a universally accepted belief, but it just seems he has a ton of better people than himself on payroll (even this early into cycle). He seems a good ideas man, however.

Thanks, Tizoc old friend. It seems there's a LONG WAY to go before those good years come by haha

This is the guy that's reading everything Marvel has ever published from the beginning.

Ja. I'm trying. I enjoyed X-Men #32, 33, 34 last night. Juggernaut's character is probably one of the better built up characters in the X-Men stories so far.

maybe he's being coy with word usage, "bigger" meaning a team book.

still doom patrol

That'd be cool...

Doea the rumour mention if theyd be dropping Batman too? Id imagine so but for Capullo at least he said in an interview a while ago hia doctors told him he was pushing himself too hard and i feel like hes an artist who, in their Batman run, has not dropped the ball for a single issue at all.

Its not the samw but in contrast ive read archie 1-3 and it definetley feels lacking compare to Staples usual excellence on Saga.

It is a Crisis story. The only thing that makes it not one is that it's contained to one book + a handful of oneshots. Seriously, it's the Anti-Monitor and Darkseid kicking the shit out of each other, and then
the latter dies.
I mean, holy shit.

The Snyder/Capullo rumor got posted yesterday; only deets are that it's something that hasn't changed much since (before?) the New 52, and it's "bigger than Batman."

Johns' Justice League has come so far. Darkseid War is the best self-contained event book I've read.

That's where I read it. Fantastic series.

Cheers! I'll give it a go after I submit my next assignment on the weekend. Your avatar is awesome btw! I'm a big fan of Jaime Reyes.

So, the reactions I had yesterday to not enjoying Daredevil has me wondering - when does it get better? These Stan Lee Daredevils are really tough to read and enjoy. I'm reading them in release order.
Man I don't know how you do it. Reading Marvel's books from the beginning. Some of them were legit good like FF, Doctor Strange, anything Kirby was on really and Spider-man but I cannot imagine having to slog through DD from the beginning. That title isn't notable until the 80s...

Which kind of brings me to a point. Some of Marvel's biggest properties weren't big until decades afterm their debut. X-Men wasn't huge until Claremont got his hands on it and DD had to wait for Frank Miller.

Can't say I know when the Hulk got popular but his original series didn't last long. I think Iron Man always had moderate success and Thor wasn't anything special until Simonson came along.

That'd be cool...

Doea the rumour mention if theyd be dropping Batman too? Id imagine so but for Capullo at least he said in an interview a while ago hia doctors told him he was pushing himself too hard and i feel like hes an artist who, in their Batman run, has not dropped the ball for a single issue at all.

Its not the samw but in contrast ive read archie 1-3 and it definetley feels lacking compare to Staples usual excellence on Saga.

Capullo would definitely have to drop Batman. No way he could manage 2 monthlies.

Snyder I could see sticking around, though.

Johns' Justice League has come so far. Darkseid War is the best self-contained event book I've read.

Cheers! I'll give it a go after I submit my next assignment on the weekend. Your avatar is awesome btw! I'm a big fan of Jaime Reyes.

*internet fistbump*

Mindwipe

So much love for Nextwave. I hope it lives up to the hype. I'm going to do it guys, you've convinced me.

To be fair, it's partly beloved because it was released during Civil War and everything was very po-faced at the time. We have a lot more fun books nowadays.

But it's still very funny.

To be fair, it's partly beloved because it was released during Civil War and everything was very po-faced at the time. We have a lot more fun books nowadays.

But it's still very funny.

I still have not made time for Civil War. The only knowledge I have of the story comes from Wikipedia and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2.

Tizoc

So much love for Nextwave. I hope it lives up to the hype. I'm going to do it guys, you've convinced me.

It's a funny book, with kickass fights and scenes, and amazing art by Immonen, don't take it too seriously and read it for the fun book it is and you may enjoy it.
I didn't like it the first time I read it years ago, back when I started reading comics, now I'm weeping at how broke I am to order the new printing of the book ToT

Capullo would definitely have to drop Batman. No way he could manage 2 monthlies.

Snyder I could see sticking around, though.

*internet fistbump*

Oh totally. It's so sleight against Capullo though, the man is an absolute comic book workhorse. I would not mind seeing Snyder graduate from Gotham City to something wider (even if he sticks in Gotham for a while to time. Get Jock to do art, or whoever did the issue with the kid who was found dead) but as for what...I wouldn't mind them doing JL, or a Doom Patrol book, I feel like Doom Patrol might be more of a Capullo thing...part of me had decided that at some point Hickman would jump ship and write his favourite book ever, but I'm not sure a HIckman LoSH would be THAT different from his Avengers/NA etc.

Side note but do people who have read Hickman since his F4 days feel as if Secret Wars is the culmination of everything or does it sort of feel like...it's just a (pretty good) event?

Man I don't know how you do it. Reading Marvel's books from the beginning. Some of them were legit good like FF, Doctor Strange, anything Kirby was on really and Spider-man but I cannot imagine having to slog through DD from the beginning. That title isn't notable until the 80s...

Which kind of brings me to a point. Some of Marvel's biggest properties weren't big until decades afterm their debut. X-Men wasn't huge until Claremont got his hands on it and DD had to wait for Frank Miller.

Can't say I know when the Hulk got popular but his original series didn't last long. I think Iron Man always had moderate success and Thor wasn't anything special until Simonson came along.

The only redeeming quality the early bad issues have, is just how bad they are. It's really interesting to see just how corny they could be (and far more interesting to seeing the early readers call Stan Lee out on how corny/tiresome some of the bad guys are). There was one fan letter saying he was sick of everyone being an evil communist, thankfully this was seemingly taken on board as the communists quickly faded away (and were replaced by Hydra/AIM?).

I'm wondering if there's a club where these fallen woeful bad guys hangout - the likes of Stiltman, Paste Pot Pete and co. I'd honestly read a one-shot/mini-series looking at their modern day situation haha

I've been enjoying The Hulk, although the continuity is a bit strange at times. I mean he's saved Betty and General Ross knows he saved Betty and seems to forgive Banner/Hulk but then a few issues later they're at war again over a silly misunderstanding haha
Hulk v Hercules was enjoyable.

Thor has too many flashback stories, and his pining over Jane was way too much to handle. His fight with Hercules was great. Basically, I've discovered I'm a huge Hercules fan.
Likewise the consistency over the '60 Second' rule without his Hammer is silly, but I guess I'm looking in the wrong place for consistency in comics! Thor is probably the most guilty of one of the things I'm disliking too - NEW SUPER ABILITY TO SOLVE THE SITUATION!

I need to start paying more attention to who is writing and drawing certain issues though, as I'll probably find I'm enjoying certain people and combos more than others. I was really enjoying Namor until a point, and I beat if I go back and check there's a change of writer around the time it started to lose it's way. I know Dr. Strange has just had a change of writer, and it's pretty clear too. However, I look forward to see how the new writer builds on the great work Steve Ditko started.
My biggest problem is trying to distance myself from what I had read in Ultimate Marvel a few years back, and what I know from watching the Marvel cartoons during the 90s. I feel like I'm waiting for events and things to happen that I know about at times, such as The Beast being Blue and Furry!

Messi

I know today is Marvel and Secret Wars etc, great, great. But I stopped at the shop today for the first time in a month, I caught up on Rat Queens with issue #12 and I have a rant, you guys, and it must be released.

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO RAT QUEENS?! GET TESS FOWLER THE FUCK OFF MY BOOK! HER FACES ARE SHIT! HER ACTION SEQUENCES ARE SHIT! THE MOST STATIC OF ALL SHIT! HER CREATURES???? CAN YOU SERIOUSLY HAVE SOMEONE WHO DRAWS LIKE THIS ON A BOOK LIKE THIS WITH ALL THE FUCKING CREATURES AND MONSTERS? IT WAS UGLY AND BLAND AND BORING AND ATROCIOUS AND INEXCUSABLE AND I WANT TO SCREAM THINKING OF WHAT SEJIC WOULD HAVE DONE WITH THOSE MYSITCAL DEE PAGES!

Ahem. I love these characters, but I am gutted. I can't believe I'm even considering dropping the title, but I don't know that I can bare this heartache month after month.

Paper Girls is awesome.

Going to have to drop it then. She is pretty upfront about never leaving. She is easily the weakest artist they had. Sejic would have nailed the monster designs.

Her twitter is quite the read. She always seems to be fighting with people and posting multi level tweets.

Going to have to drop it then. She is pretty upfront about never leaving. She is easily the weakest artist they had. Sejic would have nailed the monster designs.

Her twitter is quite the read. She always seems to be fighting with people and posting multi level tweets.

I'll never get over his leaving the book. I used to read this title and think it was too good to be true. And it was, man. Remember the sleepytime octopus gods!?!?!? Remember them?? I want them to hypnotize me into forever dreaming of the time that Rat Queens was good!

Messi

I'll never get over his leaving the book. I used to read this title and think it was too good to be true. And it was, man. Remember the sleepytime octopus gods!?!?!? Remember them?? I want them to hypnotize me into forever dreaming of the time that Rat Queens was good!

He just couldn't do it :( the cuthulu looking monster he did was fantastic.

Show me any Tess art that comes close to that monster.

You can't compare Sejic to Fowler. That's not fair to Fowler lol Sejic is tremendously talented although he does leave a lot of his linework looking too rough for me.

The only redeeming quality the early bad issues have, is just how bad they are. It's really interesting to see just how corny they could be (and far more interesting to seeing the early readers call Stan Lee out on how corny/tiresome some of the bad guys are). There was one fan letter saying he was sick of everyone being an evil communist, thankfully this was seemingly taken on board as the communists quickly faded away (and were replaced by Hydra/AIM?).

I'm wondering if there's a club where these fallen woeful bad guys hangout - the likes of Stiltman, Paste Pot Pete and co. I'd honestly read a one-shot/mini-series looking at their modern day situation haha

I've been enjoying The Hulk, although the continuity is a bit strange at times. I mean he's saved Betty and General Ross knows he saved Betty and seems to forgive Banner/Hulk but then a few issues later they're at war again over a silly misunderstanding haha
Hulk v Hercules was enjoyable.

Thor has too many flashback stories, and his pining over Jane was way too much to handle. His fight with Hercules was great. Basically, I've discovered I'm a huge Hercules fan.
Likewise the consistency over the '60 Second' rule without his Hammer is silly, but I guess I'm looking in the wrong place for consistency in comics! Thor is probably the most guilty of one of the things I'm disliking too - NEW SUPER ABILITY TO SOLVE THE SITUATION!

I need to start paying more attention to who is writing and drawing certain issues though, as I'll probably find I'm enjoying certain people and combos more than others. I was really enjoying Namor until a point, and I beat if I go back and check there's a change of writer around the time it started to lose it's way. I know Dr. Strange has just had a change of writer, and it's pretty clear too. However, I look forward to see how the new writer builds on the great work Steve Ditko started.
My biggest problem is trying to distance myself from what I had read in Ultimate Marvel a few years back, and what I know from watching the Marvel cartoons during the 90s. I feel like I'm waiting for events and things to happen that I know about at times, such as The Beast being Blue and Furry!
Interesting notes. It's interesting to read the old books. I have some essential volumes I go back to every once in a while. I didn't enjoy classic Iron Man as much as Dr Strange or Spider-Man.

Thors plot powers sounds a lot like golden age superman haha

Based on your impressions, you'd love superior foes of Spider-Man and Paks run on Incredible Hercules

Jughead #1 was... okay. A lot of the jokes didn't really land with me, and I still don't like Erica Henderson's art very much. Plus, it seems to tie into the "old" Archie continuity*, rather than the new stuff. I guess I'm just not that interested in it.

Gonna be passing on the rest of this one.

*What a ridiculous phrase.

Now for The Manhattan Projects vol. 1.

You can't compare Sejic to Fowler. That's not fair to Fowler lol Sejic is tremendously talented although he does leave a lot of his linework looking too rough for me.

Interesting notes. It's interesting to read the old books. I have some essential volumes I go back to every once in a while. I didn't enjoy classic Iron Man as much as Dr Strange or Spider-Man.

Thors plot powers sounds a lot like golden age superman haha

Based on your impressions, you'd love superior foes of Spider-Man and Paks run on Incredible Hercules

Yeah Iron Man was guilty of fighting Communists every week, however there was an interesting little arch where Tony Stark was going to explain his technology to Congress after being summoned. It made Stark finally seem to be this big important person in the tech industry at last.

I'll have to check out Paks run on Hercules! I need more Hercules, as he's basically Thor but with personality and bravado. I laughed when I saw Boomerang was leader of the Sinister Six in the Superior Foes of Spider-Man haha, so many lame bad guys. I need more.

Jughead #1 was... okay. A lot of the jokes didn't really land with me, and I still don't like Erica Henderson's art very much. Plus, it seems to tie into the "old" Archie continuity*, rather than the new stuff. I guess I'm just not that interested in it.

Gonna be passing on the rest of this one.

*What a ridiculous phrase.

Now for The Manhattan Projects vol. 1.

Didn't it directly link to the story in Archie #2?

Didn't it directly link to the story in Archie #2?

Not that I can tell. Veronica & her dad are treated as long-established elements in the town, for one thing. Jughead's whole fantasy thing had Mr. Lodge as the king and Reggie & Veronica as an item. Plus, the designs trend decidedly towards the old ones, which might be just down to artistic differences but it does sorta reinforce the impression that it's an extension of Old!Archie. Characters are treated very differently as well.

Maybe I just missed something, I dunno.

Except I sort of have to and the one it's not fair to is me. She followed directly after him on the title, how does one not compare?

Sejic and Upchurch have different styles and both killed it on the book. What upsets me is knowing there are many people out there who could do the book justice. Fowler isn't one of them. I'm sure she can do her thing but it should be done elsewhere. She's a terrible match with this material.

I got my girl into comics largely because of Rat Queens. Now she's known to wander the house in a daze and mumble about how Tess Fowler "ruined comics." Thanks, Tess Fowler!

Messi

Except I sort of have to and the one it's not fair to is me. She followed directly after him on the title, how does one not compare?

Sejic and Upchurch have different styles and both killed it on the book. What upsets me is knowing there are many people out there who could do the book justice. Fowler isn't one of them. I'm sure she can do her thing but it should be done elsewhere. She's a terrible match with this material.

I got my girl into comics largely because of Rat Queens. Now she's known to wander the house in a daze and mumble about how Tess Fowler "ruined comics." Thanks, Tess Fowler!

LaMaquinon be like

pOHFkGP.gif

Nothing will ever top Sejic for me.

Oh I'm just saying their levels of ability aren't comparable haha context demands comparison either way. Yeah judging by twitter, Fowler isn't keen on leaving the title soon.

Tbh I'm not all that familiar with Fowlers work before Rat Queens.

Tess Fowler is not that bad. Obviously, she's no Sejic, but ruined an entire book? Come on now.

Jughead #1

Art is not horrendous, though there are some strange expressions. anyway, I'll keep reading because I enjoyed the writing a lot.
Hey, man, you like burgers?

Hagi

is she really that bad in this issue? I've seen a lot of her work around and that includes fanart of the series itself that wouldn't lead me to believe she's a terrible match for the book at all.

LaMaquinon be like

pOHFkGP.gif

Nothing will ever top Sejic for me.

That is me. That is me, yes. Burning rage.

Oh I'm just saying their levels of ability aren't comparable haha context demands comparison either way. Yeah judging by twitter, Fowler isn't keen on leaving the title soon.

Tbh I'm not all that familiar with Fowlers work before Rat Queens.

Yeah, I know where you're coming from. But you provided me an opportunity to expand on my rant, and for that, I thank you.

PS: people can be fired.
She should be fired.

Jughead didn't quite work for me. Archie comics aren't really a natural fit for my reading preferences and I agree with Poodlestrike that it felt more like a classic Archie comic than the new book. The signs that this is part of the new continuity are there - there is, in fact, a direct reference to Archie #2 on the fourth page - but the Lodges do seem more settled here than in the main book, and Betty in particular is not drawn like she is in Archie at all. I like Henderson on Squirrel Girl but in this more grounded setting I don't think her art works quite as well. There were a few funny lines but this is not a book I need to keep reading.

If rat queens that good? I always see it mentioned :/

It's awesome.

is she really that bad in this issue? I've seen a lot of her work around and that includes fanart of the series itself that wouldn't lead me to believe she's a terrible match for the book at all.

It's a huge step down. It is serviceable though, imho.

That is me. That is me, yes. Burning rage.

Yeah, I know where you're coming from. But you provided me an opportunity to expand on my rant, and for that, I thank you.

PS: people can be fired.
She should be fired.
Haha well I *am* a rant enabler...

I heard it's pretty good.
I demand your avatar be submitted as an official submission to be considered for Rat Queens artist. That's how it works right? You do Rat Queens fan art and then you get hired?

Not that I can tell. Veronica & her dad are treated as long-established elements in the town, for one thing. Jughead's whole fantasy thing had Mr. Lodge as the king and Reggie & Veronica as an item. Plus, the designs trend decidedly towards the old ones, which might be just down to artistic differences but it does sorta reinforce the impression that it's an extension of Old!Archie. Characters are treated very differently as well.

Maybe I just missed something, I dunno.

Specifically the editor's caption that said "See Archie vol. 2 #2"

Tess Fowler is not that bad. Obviously, she's no Sejic, but ruined an entire book? Come on now.

It's cool, I'm not surprised by your opinion. I don't expect a Valiant fan to be that picky about art.

Look, she took a top tier book and made it middlin'. That's what she did. A top tear book featuring a hilarious, badass, all-female line up. And now it's on the good side of fair. It's missed opportunity, her art on Rat Queens. These characters have personality and heart. It's been a feature of the book. We are lost visual representation of the heart of this book due to this flat, goofy art.

I'm sorry, I am the biggest feminist in comic fandom. I want women working on female characters. Let's just chalk this up to being a bad
tragic
match.

Top Bottom