• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Owzers

Damn dude you didn't even bother to say where the spoiler image was from. If I hadn't read Iron Man already I'd be pissed.

You're missing out on good comics.

i didn't have faith in either to pre-order, and i don't think i have the budget to start adding stuff like Iron Man and ASM, it's just too much comics money when i also want to get statues from time to time. MU-waiting seemed like the obvious choice but yeah, i feel like i'm missing out :/

VanWinkle

I just bought the first Afterlife with Archie volume. Supposedly it's an extremely well made trade, similar to how I assume Lumberjanes is from the videos I've seen and what messi's told me.

JEKKI

daaaaaaang man comics are expensive!!

I went to the store today, first time in like 3 weeks, and spent $55~!!!

this was after I spent $30 at comixology on some Image books!

geez!

and then the shop gives me a list of all the new titles if I wanna pull em...

Marvel I decided on Daredevil, Karnac, and Old Man Logan.

interested in Black Panther and Dr Strange too (which I bought #1 of today) but I really needa spend less :( everything else I'm interested in I can read a year from now off Marvel Unlimited.

DC wise there's a $6 and a $13 version of Dark Knight III?!?!

I was like f##k it, go all out, but what's the difference between the two versions? the shop owner didnt even know...

Mudcrab

i didn't have faith in either to pre-order, and i don't think i have the budget to start adding stuff like Iron Man and ASM, it's just too much comics money when i also want to get statues from time to time. MU-waiting seemed like the obvious choice but yeah, i feel like i'm missing out :/

Sorry didn't mean to rub it in, but yeah I didn't know what to expect either so I'm pleasantly surprised.

Sandfox

All of the previews, interviews, and what I know about Bendis had me optimistic with the book, but it was the MJ announcement that pushed me over the edge.

I feel like he's really hit and miss with the solo stuff; Ultimate Spider-Man became awful when Miles became the main character, Moon Knight had gorgeous art but that's all it had going for it, and Spider-Woman was super forgettable. None of it is dumpster fire bad like his Guardians, but Daredevil and Alias are really the only times I've felt like he's been on-point before now.

Iron Man is pretty good though.

USM became aweful post-Ultimatum and Miles suffered from his book still revolving around Peter.

Avixph

daaaaaaang man comics are expensive!!

I went to the store today, first time in like 3 weeks, and spent $55~!!!

this was after I spent $30 at comixology on some Image books!

geez!

and then the shop gives me a list of all the new titles if I wanna pull em...

Marvel I decided on Daredevil, Karnac, and Old Man Logan.

interested in Black Panther and Dr Strange too (which I bought #1 of today) but I really needa spend less :( everything else I'm interested in I can read a year from now off Marvel Unlimited.

DC wise there's a $6 and a $13 version of Dark Knight III?!?!

I was like f##k it, go all out, but what's the difference between the two versions? the shop owner didnt even know...
The $13 one has more dicks in it.

New Sean Murphy DKIII variant, as revealed by Zack Snyder on Twitter:

CQwykrAUYAAu9f_.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
X-Force #15 - good ending to both the Fantomex arc and the series, even if it wraps up everything in a nice little bow, which kinda goes against the vibe of this series. Still, highly underrated book that will forever live in the shadow of uncanny x-force, and thats a shame.

Amazing X-Men #15-18 - The New Juggernaut arc story had a lot of promise but ended up feeling like a waste of time. Theres this amazing moment in issue 18 where for a few pages, after the living monilith becomes a giant juggernaut, the x-men just sit down by a fire and go "mweh how do you even fight a galactus size juggernaut, whats the point" and instead reminisc on past adventures and how silly / contrived they were. Its super meta and i was loving it except then it goes nowhere and they deal with it with the stupidest deus ex machina moment. Shame.

VanWinkle

This is going to sound weird, but this issue #1 of ASM is the first physical Marvel single issue I have. One thing is annoying me, and that is how the cover for the comic is made of the same thin paper as the interior pages. It makes it feel cheap. I have 5 or so DC single issues and all of them use a thicker paper for the cover.

Are all the Marvel comics like this?

This is going to sound weird, but this issue #1 of ASM is the first physical Marvel single issue I have. One thing is annoying me, and that is how the cover for the comic is made of the same thin paper as the interior pages. It makes it feel cheap. I have 5 or so DC single issues and all of them use a thicker paper for the comic.

That's why Rafa said Marvel used Great Value paper for their floppies

Owzers

This is going to sound weird, but this issue #1 of ASM is the first physical Marvel single issue I have. One thing is annoying me, and that is how the cover for the comic is made of the same thin paper as the interior pages. It makes it feel cheap. I have 5 or so DC single issues and all of them use a thicker paper for the comic.

One time i accidentally nicked a page by turning it. That was a frowny comic read. edit: And to clarify, yes, all Marvel books are that thin.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So I'm 93 of like 564 pages into From Hell and, boy, I see what you fellas were saying about it being a read! This may be the first actual "Graphic Novel" I've read. It reads like a novel and it sure is paced like a novel. I'm quite enjoying it, and it's much easier to follow than the movie. Bearing in mind I was much younger when I saw the movie, and in a much worse place in my life, I found the film a confusing jumble of regular bullshit and
Freemason
bullshit. I think so far I'm following along pretty well and I think it's a very interesting look at the Ripper case. After reading this I'll probably go watch the movie again for a chuckle.

Incidentally I believe it's on sale on Comixology at the moment. I don't know the price since I already own it.

Vibranium

Banned
Man, that Iron Fist and Power-Man art is pretty bad, Ramos is much better as far as exagerrated styles go. I think I might pass sadly.

Just read Batman & Robin Eternal and it was very... okay. Seeing Cass was cool at least. I'll give the next two or three issues a shot.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Man, that Iron Fist and Power-Man art is pretty bad, Ramos is much better as far as exagerrated styles go. I think I might pass sadly.

What art are you talking about? I like Ramos

Secret Wars 06

Reed and Ultimate Reed....working together? This is ether the most awesome thing ever or the scariest thing ever. Ether way Doom is fucked.

I know today is Marvel and Secret Wars etc, great, great. But I stopped at the shop today for the first time in a month, I caught up on Rat Queens with issue #12 and I have a rant, you guys, and it must be released.

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO RAT QUEENS?! GET TESS FOWLER THE FUCK OFF MY BOOK! HER FACES ARE SHIT! HER ACTION SEQUENCES ARE SHIT! THE MOST STATIC OF ALL SHIT! HER CREATURES???? CAN YOU SERIOUSLY HAVE SOMEONE WHO DRAWS LIKE THIS ON A BOOK LIKE THIS WITH ALL THE FUCKING CREATURES AND MONSTERS? IT WAS UGLY AND BLAND AND BORING AND ATROCIOUS AND INEXCUSABLE AND I WANT TO SCREAM THINKING OF WHAT SEJIC WOULD HAVE DONE WITH THOSE MYSITCAL DEE PAGES!

Ahem. I love these characters, but I am gutted. I can't believe I'm even considering dropping the title, but I don't know that I can bare this heartache month after month.

Paper Girls is awesome.

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO RAT QUEENS?! GET TESS FOWLER THE FUCK OFF MY BOOK! HER FACES ARE SHIT! HER ACTION SEQUENCES ARE SHIT! THE MOST STATIC OF ALL SHIT! HER CREATURES???? CAN YOU SERIOUSLY HAVE SOMEONE WHO DRAWS LIKE THIS ON A BOOK LIKE THIS WITH ALL THE FUCKING CREATURES AND MONSTERS? IT WAS UGLY AND BLAND AND BORING AND ATROCIOUS AND INEXCUSABLE AND I WANT TO SCREAM THINKING OF WHAT SEJIC WOULD HAVE DONE WITH THOSE MYSITCAL DEE PAGES!

Yes. Yeeeeessssssss. Let the hate flow through you.

She's not a bad artist, but she's rather unremarkable for a book like this. If we can't have Sejic, let's get Upchurch back. Dude knows he fucked up. Give him another shot.

Rhaknar

Mads Mikkelsen is rumoured to have a secret role in the Strange movie? What what what? :eek:

Just read the first two issues of Zodiac Starforce and it was good! I liked the art a lot and it's a fun take on the whole magical girl genre. Hopefully it does well enough to get more issues beyond this mini.

Definitely gonna check out the webcomic for it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Whats the deal with Batman & Robin Eternal? I understood you guys that in this Book BruceBats appears? Is it not on the current timepoint?

Dalek

All I want is an ongoing Danny / Misty book by whoever did the art for their Secret Love story in the one-shot.

Dude absolutely. That was fantastic.

I've been reading my daughter some Fantastic Four comics at bedtime-she told me today that she wants to be as smart as Valeria Richards one day. Also I saw a picture the SF Exploratorium posted to Facebook of two "planet" shaped cakes, and when you cut them open, you see th Layers of the planet. She said "if we ate those, we would know what it would be like to be Galactus."

Drayco21

Whats the deal with Batman & Robin Eternal? I understood you guys that in this Book BruceBats appears? Is it not on the current timepoint?

Main plot is in the current timeline, there's also a B-plot running through the whole series as a flashback to when Dick was still Robin in his first year with Bruce.

the main storyline seems to build off of stuff that happened when dick was robin, and as a result there are going to be large amounts of flashbacks to that time. plus the whole thing seems like a very good setup to bring bruce back as bats by the end of it.

Rhaknar

With just 1 book left to announce, who are the major secret wars / ANAD casualties?

Cyclops (but we know Uncanny is about him being missing so he almost doesn't count), Emma, Odinson, Punisher, Reed and Sue.

Ghost Rider but its not like he always had a ongoing anyway, same for Gambit (at least these days)

Edit: I would say Doom but villains dont count

Heard a cool NPR interview with Kelly Sue DeConnick on the radio yesterday.

Tangentially related, what's Slayven's beef with Captain Marvel? Or is it more of a running gag?

I grabbed Robin 126-128 so I could read about Stephanie's brief stint as Robin.

Just read 126 and I really liked the part where you see Bruce training and teasing her. It was real goofy.

Rhaknar

Tangentially related, what's Slayven's beef with Captain Marvel? Or is it more of a running gag?

Isnt he just a troll?

PsychBat!

Banned

He thinks she's really boring (has no personality) and hasn't had a character arc worth mentioning.

Some of us in here agree, including me.

Isnt he just a troll?

that's fucked up

the guy is basically the book keeper on everything comics

he's like the watcher

Rhaknar

I didnt even mean that in a offensive way actually, just everytime I've seen his posts hes shitting on something, I just assumed he was just trolling.

More of a "ohyou" thing than a "fuckyou" thing is what I'm saying :p

Top Bottom