• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Zombine

Banned
I dunno guys I'm playing it on Ultra and it feels great. It's running at a steady 60fps and I find the gun play to be really rewarding. A ton of ComicGAF folks have been bitching about it and I'm having a wicked hard time seeing it.

Cheers. Dark Horse Presents is great. they do tend to be serialized stories. Like you get a whole wack of stories some two parters, 4, 6, etc. Rarely stand alone*. But such quality overall.

* okay, maybe not "rarely." One or two stand alones per issue.

Cool, thanks for the info. Gonna hold off on it for now, but it's definitely something I'll look into in the future.

MG310

NYCC Haul time.

Won this fire helmet painted by Phil Noto at the auction. Just going to steal Marvel.com's pic on that one. I think I caught the entire room sleeping on that one somehow.

fdny-phil-noto-625x468.jpg

Page from Catwoman 45 by David Messina.

11x17 Elliot Fernandez Harley/Power Girl pinup

She-Hulk by Kevin Wada

Emma Frost by Elena Casagrande

Harley by Sara Richard

Medusa by Jessica Lynn

Prints from Terry Dodson and a sketchbook from Dodson and Mahmud Asrar

and some decent book deals that made carrying my luggage to the train extra fun.

Squire

Banned
Yeah, I mean the films aren't flawless by any measure, but I still enjoy them and my brother and I bonded over them as we grew up. I appreciate them.

Yeah, I really think they're all decently enjoyable. Star Wars is a fun world to be in even when it's not trying to peak narratively.

NYCC Haul time.

Won this fire helmet painted by Phil Noto at the auction. Just going to steal Marvel.com's pic on that one. I think I caught the entire room sleeping on that one somehow.

She-Hulk by Kevin Wada

Harley by Sara Richard

Medusa by Jessica Lynn

and some decent book deals that made carrying my luggage to the train extra fun.

Good haul! You got a lot of characters I like.

What's the best way to check such things? As I'm pretty sure there's definitely some omnibi I want that have slipped out of print...

Best way? I'm not sure. I was just googling the names of some and found some articles. I've been getting into daredevil and i heard the frank miller one is good so I found an article about it and some others getting reprinted starting next year.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/08/01/john-byrne-gets-a-mixed-marvel-omnibus-and-other-2016-omnibi/

I think that omnibus collector site someone posted before is pretty good on news of reprints too IIRC.

ElNarez

Banned
It's a dice game. Their code quality usually goes
beta=pre-alpha
release=alpha
release+3months=beta
release+9months=1.0

It's not even a matter of code, it's just the basic design that does a whole mess of dumb shit, like defaulting to first-person view instead of third and removing marking, which makes situational awareness basically impossible, which in turn means you get killed from out of nowhere, which is the opposite of fun, or having a button prompt to claim an area and giving points and accolades for whoever hits it first, which encourages lone wolfing it, which in a team-based game is DUMB.

It's bad on a fundamental level, and it basically coasts on its theme.

Owzers

It's not even a matter of code, it's just the basic design that does a whole mess of dumb shit, like defaulting to first-person view instead of third and removing marking, which makes situational awareness basically impossible, which in turn means you get killed from out of nowhere, which is the opposite of fun, or having a button prompt to claim an area and giving points and accolades for whoever hits it first, which encourages lone wolfing it, which in a team-based game is DUMB.

Well, on my second session i found the setting that let's you change what perspective is the default between first and third, i think it was under Gameplay. That helped a little. I would like some marking options. My vision for the game was not just another shooter with a star wars theme though, i don't think the game does anything interesting so far.

Zombine

Banned
NYCC Haul time.

She-Hulk by Kevin Wada

Harley by Sara Richard

Medusa by Jessica Lynn

Great pick ups brother. Glad to see you caught Wada. He's a very kind person but the way he went about his list was kind of disappointing. Missed his list multiple times, was second in line on my final day and he tweeted out he wasn't doing sketches on that day(Saturday). I probably won't try again at any point.

Boogiepop

Best way? I'm not sure. I was just googling the names of some and found some articles. I've been getting into daredevil and i heard the frank miller one is good so I found an article about it and some others getting reprinted starting next year.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/08/01/john-byrne-gets-a-mixed-marvel-omnibus-and-other-2016-omnibi/

I think that omnibus collector site someone posted before is pretty good on news of reprints too IIRC.

Ah, thanks! Looks like some nice stuff there, yeah.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
*activates flame shield

Guys, 13 issues in, I think Ms.Marvel is just...ok :/ It certainly is overrated in my opinion.

Its a cute book with great art (when its the regular artist) but thats about it. Its missing something that I cant put my finger on, it just hasnt clicked with me like other "lighter tone" books have.

Its annoying because I feel like I should like it more than I do

Zombine

Banned
*activates flame shield

Guys, 13 issues in, I think Ms.Marvel is just...ok :/ It certainly is overrated in my opinion.

Its a cute book with great art (when its the regular artist) but thats about it. Its missing something that I cant put my finger on, it just hasnt clicked with me like other "lighter tone" books have.

Its annoyinh becauze I feel like I should like it more than I do

That's where I'm at with the book. I know at least one other member here who shares the same opinion as us but I won't out them. It's genuinely "just ok" like KSD's Captain Marvel.

That's where I'm at with the book. I know at least one other member here who shares the same opinion as us but I won't out them. It's genuinely "just ok" like KSD's Captain Marvel.

I'm really far behind but I never thought it was amazing but I don't think it's bad either. I mostly supported because it wasn't that bad and it was nice having some variety.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm really far behind but I never thought it was amazing but I don't think it's bad either. I mostly supported because it wasn't that bad and it was nice having some variety.

Its definitely not bad, far from it. It's very enjoyable.

I think I want a pet sloth. Might have to get one along with Jurassic world blu Ray so we can watch it together.

If I was going to get an exotic pet, it would definitely be a capybara.

Does anyone in this thread read Morning Glories? I recently read through the series and I have such mixed feelings about it...

I used to, and I stuck with it for a looong time because the art was so good, but the story never really went anywhere toward making you understand what was going on, so I dropped it. Nick Spencer comics have a rep for being a sloooow burn, but this is an extreme case.

Squire

Banned
Does anyone in this thread read Morning Glories? I recently read through the series and I have such mixed feelings about it...

I got the first volume when it was free. It's interesting. I liked the cast and the way it was written, but it seemed to be introducing a new plot element at every turn and a few too many people have told me it hasn't really paid off for me to invest in more of it. Lost being a big influence on it probably does it more harm than good.

I like Nick Spencer and I'll play the long game, but you've got to deliver at some point. MG has like 10 trades out or something and doesn't seem to have hit that point yet. That's... troubling.

Speaking of Spencer, I'm super excited to read that Image book from him and Lieber whenever it does come out.

Also excited to buy Superior Foes again when the omnibus comes out.

If I was going to get an exotic pet, it would definitely be a capybara.

I used to, and I stuck with it for a looong time because the art was so good, but the story never really went anywhere toward making you understand what was going on, so I dropped it. Nick Spencer comics have a rep for being a sloooow burn, but this is an extreme case.

I got the first volume when it was free. It's interesting. I liked the cast and the way it was written, but it seemed to be introducing a new plot element at every turn and a few too many people have told me it hasn't really paid off for me to invest in more of it. Lost being a big influence on it probably does it more harm than good.

I like Nick Spencer and I'll play the long game, but you've got to deliver at some point. MG has like 10 trades out or something and doesn't seem to have hit that point yet. That's... troubling.

This is pretty much where I'm at with it. I don't remember specifically where the first volume ended but even being current I just kinda feel left hanging. They've made good on illuminating the mystery around certain characters & specific events. But they're always events that, of course, raise more questions than answers in the end.

I'm not too familiar with the writer, freeza, but you picked the perfect phrase. The burn is so fucking slow. The moment to moment drama & suspense kept me reading but... this shit is going on 50 chapters now.

I don't really know what an "answer" would even look like at this point and stuff like this make me think there's not gonna be one coming. Or at least not the definitive one I want. (Not really a spoiler but I'll tag it anyway)
suspect.png

I'm thinking maybe I'll just drop it for now and read it once it's finished. Keeping track off all the obtuse events month to month is just a bit too much.

Hellers

I've read all the issues of Morning Glories so far. I can't remember any of the character names, can hardly tell them apart anyway and I haven't a single clue what's going on or even what happened month on month.

I should probably drop it. That would be the trigger for some answers to come along I think.

I've read all the issues of Morning Glories so far. I can't remember any of the character names, can hardly tell them apart anyway and I haven't a single clue what's going on or even what happened month on month.

I should probably drop it. That would be the trigger for some answers to come along I think.

lol I completely see this as my future if I keep reading monthly.

The struggle between physical/digital is real. On one hand I love the convenience of digital but I love the feeling of reading physical. Not to mention the fact that I have a personal opposition to dropping anything more than like $15 on digital stuff. I'm thinking of using digital for new ongoing stuff like ANAD Marvel and DC and tpbs for everything else. Then maybe getting a physical version of those if I really love it. Cheaper tpb prices on places like Amazon are also a major influence too lol

Also it's a shame about reading you guys reactions to morning glories, I loved the first volume but haven't gone any farther than that.

VanWinkle

Lol care to link me to this issue on Comixology?

Also those first couple panels... woof

Here you go.

The art wasn't the greatest on this issue for some reason. Normally it's pretty great. But the issue is still pretty awesome. You may want to read issue #10 before that if you want to get them, as they're connected.

Also, I've been wondering something. About what would you guys say the average size of a 22 page comic on comixology be? I'm always kind of shocked by how long it takes to download to my tablet and I'm worried that it uses way more data than I think. I have 75mb internet and it takes an average of 75 seconds to download a 22 page comic. But even saying that my speeds are 7 MB a second instead of 7.5, that would make the comic 525MB, and there's no WAY that could be correct, right? In fact, I know it can't be, since I only have a 16 GB tablet with 11 GB available space after the OS is done with it, I have tons of comics on it, and it's still not out of space. So why do downloads take so long? (weirdly, though, a 200 page graphic novel usually only takes about three or four minutes)

Messi

*activates flame shield

Its annoying because I feel like I should like it more than I do

Absolutely agree 100%

Messi

The struggle between physical/digital is real. On one hand I love the convenience of digital but I love the feeling of reading physical. Not to mention the fact that I have a personal opposition to dropping anything more than like $15 on digital stuff. I'm thinking of using digital for new ongoing stuff like ANAD Marvel and DC and tpbs for everything else. Then maybe getting a physical version of those if I really love it. Cheaper tpb prices on places like Amazon are also a major influence too lol

Also it's a shame about reading you guys reactions to morning glories, I loved the first volume but haven't gone any farther than that.

You should use Instocktrades.com for all your trade needs. Usually way cheaper than Amazon and they pack books like they are delivering a newborn baby.

It's really not bad. Take it from someone who is fantastic at shooters.

Obligatory Tizoc "git gud"

I'm with you Zombine. I have a smile on my face the whole time I'm playing
except when I'm spawn killed
. It's like jumping straight into the films. Piloting the ships is so much fun as well.

Looks like I'll be sticking with destiny then.

Zombine

Banned
I'm with you Zombine. I have a smile on my face the whole time I'm playing
except when I'm spawn killed
. It's like jumping straight into the films. Piloting the ships is so much fun as well.

I really enjoy the strategy that they put into the small versus mode. It's basically search and destroy with control/domination elements. Any good team will set up shop around the "bomb" and take out the team that is trying to turn it over to their side. I also love the balance of the game, and how once a drop pod is captured anyone in the vicinity can scuffle for the supply drops. I also love how there is a burn card-like risk/reward element to the those, and how even if you pick it up if you end up dying before you get your bomb off or set up your turret you lose the perk. Good teamwork goes a long way, and it's probably something that you'll get more frequently on PC (I'm constantly winning on Hoth with the rebels for example).

Some non-gameplay elements that really blew me away were the particle effects, and how lifelike and true to Star Wars they are. I also love how they kept it grounded while adding weapons that fit in with the universe. I thought it was a good idea to give us the bolt action rifle that bounty hunters like Aurra Sing used for example.

Also, the malfunctioning jet packs? So god damn good. I started laughing and cheering the first time I saw some dude fly through the air and hit a wall. There is crazy attention to detail with the game, and I genuinely can't wait for it to come out.

Top Bottom