• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

This is understandable.

0neAHGT.gif

Hagi

lol we were looking through my shelf yesterday, and I was telling her about superheroes with stupid powers and otherwise eyebrow raising stuff they center comics around, and somehow Sunstone didn't come up.

We almost had a crisis when she said she didn't "get" Ant-Man though.

hah I have fun telling my partner about stupid comic book stuff

Show her the famous panel with Janet. No, not the one where he hits her. The one where he is small and does "stuff"

He shouldn't show her any Ultimate expect Spider-man

Zombine

Banned
Took it elsewhere, huh? I miss you and GH posting a lot up in here about your beloved DC. Then I'd get all hyped and try a DC book or two and not like it and the cycle would start anew. I do miss it though.

I dunno it's kinda weird to me TBH. We have a ComicsGAF hangout already and it's pretty DC centric. I kinda dig watching them talk about DC and it's just another spot I would have to keep track of.

But I think the point of it is to cut some of us out anyways. Hint taken tho :p

arkon

The Paybacks #1

Neat premise which is quickly established in the first issue. Nice expressive artwork which showcases the action as well as the talking heads scenes. The comedy beats worked for me and the issue is rounded out with an interesting hook on the final page. Standout character was Night Knight, who featured in the best moments. Will be back for at least another couple of issues.

List!

Batman 45

East of West 21
I Hate Fairyland 1
Low 10
Walking Dead 147

A-Force 5
Captain America: Sam Wilson 1
Civil War 5
Guardians of the Galaxy 1
Marvel Zombies 4
Ms. Marvel 19
New Avengers 1
Spider-Man 2099 1
Uncanny Avengers 1

Another big, exciting week!

The Paybacks #1

Neat premise which is quickly established in the first issue. Nice expressive artwork which showcases the action as well as the talking heads scenes. The comedy beats worked for me and the issue is rounded out with an interesting hook on the final page. Standout character was Night Knight, who featured in the best moments. Will be back for at least another couple of issues.

YESS!!
Payback love ::))))))

Buzzkill was one of the first mini series I remember really liking.
(If you haven't read Buzzkill check it out Arkon, its great.
I actually just reread the mini series last week.)

I thought Payback was awesome.. honestly was a little hesitant at first when I thumbed through it.. but it was so much better then I could have hoped for.

Night Knight was great.

YESS!!

I thought Payback was awesome.. honestly was a little weary at first when I thumbed through it.. but it was so much better then I could have hoped for.

Night Knight was great.

Have you read The Ghost Fleet? I haven't read Buzzkill, but it's what really turned me onto Cates. I bought the Paybacks #1 as soon as it came onto CMX, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Have you read The Ghost Fleet? I haven't read Buzzkill, but it's what really turned me onto Cates. I bought the Paybacks #1 as soon as it came onto CMX, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

No I haven't,, I will check it out tho thanks.. art looks decent tooo

Like I said I wasn't sure what to expect from Payback,, but fuck I loved, it thought it was very well executed.

No I haven't,, I will check it out tho thanks.. art looks decent tooo

Like I said I wasn't sure what to expect from Payback,, but fuck I loved, it thought it was very well executed.

That art goes places man. Seriously. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I'm going to read Paybacks today on my flight for sure. Thanks for reminding me to download some books for that, btw lol

Zombine

Banned
Without Batsquirrling, where would they be?

Well you see, the thing about making pizza is that there are lots of elements that go into making one taste great. You have to have the right variety of cheese and a nice sweet sauce. There's a lot more that goes into it than just pulling a good pizza out of the freezer. It takes a lot of patience and care, and you have to cook it with your creators for the right amount of time. Hang in there and DC will make a pizza that everyone will enjoy. We already have the foundation for a good meal, but right now you have to watch it cook from behind the glass. They exist, just be patient.

arkon

YESS!!

I thought Payback was awesome.. honestly was a little hesitant at first when I thumbed through it.. but it was so much better then I could have hoped for.

Night Knight was great.

Haven't read that but based on the first issue of Paybacks I'll be willing to take a punt on other work from the creative team. Will order that trade when I place my next order.

Thanks

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I forgot I still had the one-shots in the back of the Strangers in Paradise omnibus to read! Started reading those, and oh man, forgot how much I miss SiP. Just incredible.

Buzzkill disappointed me, aptly enough. I really liked it a lot but the final issue soured the series. Hate, hate, hate the ending. I thought it was too easy an out for the writer.

Minis in general are where it's at, though. I find so much more experimentation, creativity, variety and quality in (especially indie) comic mini series.

DC does indeed appear to be more varied these days. Not as grim dark. Lighter, and literally more lightly colored/inked books. Speaking of which, I was surprised to see that Squirrel Girl in not on CMX yet. End of the month, the site tells me.

Messi

Buzzkill disappointed me, aptly enough. I really liked it a lot but the final issue soured the series. Hate, hate, hate the ending. I thought it was too easy an out for the writer.

Minis in general are where it's at, though. I find so much more experimentation, creativity, variety and quality in (especially indie) comic mini series.

DC does indeed appear to be more varied these days. Not as grim dark. Lighter, and literally more lightly colored/inked books. Speaking of which, I was surprised to see that Squirrel Girl in not on CMX yet. End of the month, the site tells me.

CMX? Squirrel girl is all on comixology

Vyer

I would like some information on the old man hangout, or perhaps to subscribe to the newsletter.

In other news, I'm kinda digging We Stand On Guard. Don't know if anyone else here is reading it.

Zombine

Banned
I would like some information on the old man hangout, or perhaps to subscribe to the newsletter.

In other news, I'm kinda digging We Stand On Guard. Don't know if anyone else here is reading it.

I'm actually starting a ComicGAF hangout where everyone is welcome if you'd like to join that one. Just hit me with PM's with your gmail and I'll add anyone who wants to talk outside of the constraints of GAF.

I thought the last one was pretty chill, but I guess the old mentality that "comics are my hobby and nobody else can join" is still prevalent with that 30s crowd.

That era is over, and comics are for everyone now.

Haven't read that but based on the first issue of Paybacks I'll be willing to take a punt on other work from the creative team. Will order that trade when I place my next order.

Thanks

Yeah for only $9 cant go wrong.

That art goes places man. Seriously. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I'm going to read Paybacks today on my flight for sure. Thanks for reminding me to download some books for that, btw lol

Awesome, art seems good but the preview was pretty limited to a damn truck most pages.. so cool, got my attention... plus the tpb is only $9

I suppose I can understand where you are coming from on the ending, part of me agrees.

Hangouts? Pfft. Everyone knows IRC is superior.

I forgot I still had the one-shots in the back of the Strangers in Paradise omnibus to read! Started reading those, and oh man, forgot how much I miss SiP. Just incredible.

No kidding. Reached the end and all I could think was "No, wait, come back! Why isn't there more?"

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
No kidding. Reached the end and all I could think was "No, wait, come back! Why isn't there more?"

Luckily I've got an awful memory, so I could re-read it just half a year or so after reading it the first time and nearly all the plot points would be fresh! Haha

Vyer

I'm actually starting a ComicGAF hangout where everyone is welcome if you'd like to join that one. Just hit me with PM's with your gmail and I'll add anyone who wants to talk outside of the constraints of GAF.

I thought the last one was pretty chill, but I guess the old mentality that "comics are my hobby and nobody else can join" is still prevalent with that 30s crowd.

That era is over, and comics are for everyone now.

Sure!

....there was a last one?

And I'm not sure what you mean at the end there. I guess something happened with this old hangout?

Ponn

Banned
I finished Autumnlands vol 1 and its pretty good. I enjoy anthromorphic stuff like Mice Templar, Mouse guard and to an extent Beasts of Burden so this was up my alley.

I also read the first three chapters of the Saga HC and wow im hooked. I love universe building books that just dump you right into batshit crazy stuff and dont try to coddle the readers. I love the HC format so i hope they do a vol 2 HC so i dont have to switch to TPB's.

Zombine

Banned
Sure!

....there was a last one?

And I'm not sure what you mean at the end there. I guess something happened with this old hangout?

Yeah something pretty lame and totally out of left field. I'm not about that kind of petty bullshit. This one will be awesome Because it's open to everyone.

Owzers

I finished Autumnlands vol 1 and its pretty good. I enjoy anthromorphic stuff like Mice Templar, Mouse guard and to an extent Beasts of Burden so this was up my alley.

I also read the first three chapters of the Saga HC and wow im hooked. I love universe building books that just dump you right into batshit crazy stuff and dont try to coddle the readers. I love the HC format so i hope they do a vol 2 HC so i dont have to switch to TPB's.

You should probably pick up the Black Science deluxe hardcover from Image when it comes out in November, and probably East of West vol 1 HC that's out now.

Owzers

i'm going to the craft store to buy an acrylic marker to touch up my blu ray steelbook, i am confident it will be fine.

Top Bottom