• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Tizoc

Seconded.

Read Waid's run at the start of the year. It's not my favourite ever but it's pretty solid and he does his Doom story and things about Galactus etc but it's clear he gets the characters.

That's sorta why I like Waid's run more than Hickman's; while Hickman's run did have great character moments, his run was more about the story than characters. Waid's run had the characters carry the story forward I feel.

Sadist

Really kind of a nice way to put it.
These people are broken, and I honestly believe that we're more or less watching a Lord of The Flies situation play out. They're playing civilization, but their actions are those of the Protestants during the Salem Witch trials. Kill first, ask questions later.

And holy shit...Eugine? Dude's story is coming to an end real quick.

How about when Rick officially said that he was happier with Andrea now than he ever was with Laurie? We knew that was coming, but to actually hear it was sooooo good.
It's only a matter of time before Rick reverts to his old ways. At first I was impressed with what Rick and the crew established over the few years they had. But overall, it's what you said: it's a faux civilization waiting to crumble. On the other hand... at times it still seems to work. I'm still surprised that Negan didn't go on a rampage but stayed behind and argued with Rick to trust and use him as some sort of enforcer.

Eugene is going to something stupid.

Rick and Michonne's bromance stays winning btw. Rick is always so honest when she's around hehe. I do hope Andrea won't be shot by Lydia, would be weird when Rick is so happy with her. Allthough... we'll be getting that Michonne x Rick relationship.

That's sorta why I like Waid's run more than Hickman's; while Hickman's run did have great character moments, his run was more about the story than characters. Waid's run had the characters carry the story forward I feel.

True. I feel as if I like both but...I haven't read much of Hickman's. I did love Waid's run and the end left me with a huge smile on my face. F4 aren't my favorite team, DC or Marvel, but I can easily appreciate their significance. I want to get the Omnibus(i?) at some point. I feel like Absolutes/Omnibus are my very expensive comic book weakness.

For instance I want to get some of Snyder's Batman run because I feel as if I like it enough to want to collect it physically and thus I want to collect it in the best format possible....soooo...Absolute Court of Owls (ish 1-11) is out next month and it's like £48ish. Which is not so bad in the grand scheme of Absolute prices but the normal tpbs would be like £9 each or so.

It's like I would quite like the Geoff Johns GL Omnibus stuff because I feel like the colourful art is made for the best quality books but...it doesn't include the GLC stuff and as fantastic, imo, as Johns' run is...I feel like you miss the big picture if you don't have the world-building effect of GLC. Ah well. Got a little sidetracked :p

Edit; WElp, Hickman's first FF Omni seems to be out of print. rip me.

Messi

If you read the Walking Dead comics in the hardcover versions how far off being caught up if you have the most recent book. I think it was 11. Feels like walking dead has an issue every 2 weeks.

Zombine

Banned
It's only a matter of time before Rick reverts to his old ways. At first I was impressed with what Rick and the crew established over the few years they had. But overall, it's what you said: it's a faux civilization waiting to crumble. On the other hand... at times it still seems to work. I'm still surprised that Negan didn't go on a rampage but stayed behind and argued with Rick to trust and use him as some sort of enforcer.

Rick and Michonne's bromance stays winning btw. Rick is always so honest when she's around hehe. I do hope Andrea won't be shot by Lydia, would be weird when Rick is so happy with her. Allthough... we'll be getting that Michonne x Rick relationship.

I think Kirkman ships what you're thinking and this excites and saddens me at the same time.

And holy shit...Eugine? Dude's story is coming to an end real quick.

How about when Rick officially said that he was happier with Andrea now than he ever was with Laurie? We knew that was coming, but to actually hear it was sooooo good.

Sad about Eugene. I really like him. He's not your average guy in any way. Meh, I dunno about Andrea and Rick. I guess it makes sense they ended up getting together, but I really loved Dale. And I liked Dale and Andrea together (as grossed out as I was at first). And I've never forgiven Rick for all those deaths at the Prison. He didn't know what he was doing and lead so many good people to their death. So having him paired with my favorite character is.. Meh.

Few years, eh? I guess when I was reading, I thought it had only been 6 months or so since the end of the war. It's Rick's knee that threw me. I figured it was still healing. But I guess with how big Carl's gotten, you're right, makes sense that it has been a few years.

I found myself having one of those unholy loving-Neegan moments when I watched his last interaction with Rick. I hate him for Glenn.. Always.. But he often makes a lot of sense. He sees Rick the way I do. That's creepy. Neegan was created for all the readers like me who don't like Rick. And in a way he's Rick's conscience now.

I used to love Michonne, but I haven't really understood her as a character for a long time. And I don't think Kirkman does either, frankly.

I've always said I'd stop reading if Andrea (or Carl) died. I hope I don't have to find if that's true.

Loooooved Batman Eternal #2. Probably my Poodlestrike Book of the Week*, though I still have to read Starfire. Orphan (who has a great design, btw) having a breathing mask feeding him fear toxin is an interesting twist. Suggests that Scarecrow has even more involvement in this than I thought. The fights were great, as was Steph's reaction to seeing Dick. Art was rock solid throughout, with the flashback bit being a particular standout. Very much looking forward to the
Jason vs. Cass and/or Orphan
fight they seem to be setting up for next week.

*It's very prestigious, shut up.

Since I wrapped up my latest thing at work, and have nothing to do until my boss gets out of his meeting, I also ready Batman #45, Catwoman #45, and Superman: Lois & Clark #1. Of the three, I'd say that Lois & Clark was the strongest. Decent to good art and a nice setup for the rest of the arc. Lots of groundwork being laid, though. The Mr. Bloom stuff in Batman was fantastic, but even though I like GordonBats more than most, Snyder's not doing anything terribly compelling with him atm, and the Bruce stuff wasn't exactly what I'd call gripping either. I do like the subtle parallel, though; even without his memories, Bruce Wayne puts value in the idea of keeping trophies. Catwoman was okay, but the panel work kind of took away from it, and I miss the old artist already.

Zombine

Banned
Sad about Eugene. I really like him. He's not your average guy in any way. Meh, I dunno about Andrea and Rick. I guess it makes sense they ended up getting together, but I really loved Dale. And I liked Dale and Andrea together (as grossed out as I was at first). And I've never forgiven Rick for all those deaths at the Prison. He didn't know what he was doing and lead so many good people to their death. So having him paired with my favorite character is.. Meh.

Few years, eh? I guess when I was reading, I thought it had only been 6 months or so since the end of the war. It's Rick's knee that threw me. I figured it was still healing. But I guess with how big Carl's gotten, you're right, makes sense that it has been a few years.

I found myself having one of those unholy loving-Neegan moments when I watched his last interaction with Rick. I hate him for Glenn.. Always.. But he often makes a lot of sense. He sees Rick the way I do. That's creepy. Neegan was created for all the readers like me who don't like Rick. And in a way he's Rick's conscience now.

I used to love Michonne, but I haven't really understood her as a character for a long time. And I don't think Kirkman does either, frankly.

I've always said I'd stop reading if Andrea (or Carl) died. I hope I don't have to find if that's true.

Yeah, quite a few passed.
Lydia and Carl are both 16. The other day Kirkman mentioned at the panel I attended that he intentionally left out the mundane and did that jump to the future. Their period of stability was much longer than you would think.

Loooooved Batman Eternal #2. Probably my Poodlestrike Book of the Week*, though I still have to read Starfire. Orphan (who has a great design, btw) having a breathing mask feeding him fear toxin is an interesting twist. Suggests that Scarecrow has even more involvement in this than I thought. The fights were great, as was Steph's reaction to seeing Dick. Art was rock solid throughout, with the flashback bit being a particular standout. Very much looking forward to the

Since I wrapped up my latest thing at work, and have nothing to do until my boss gets out of his meeting, I also ready Batman #45, Catwoman #45, and Superman: Lois & Clark #1. Of the three, I'd say that Lois & Clark was the strongest. Decent to good art and a nice setup for the rest of the arc. Lots of groundwork being laid, though. The Mr. Bloom stuff in Batman was fantastic, but even though I like GordonBats more than most, Snyder's not doing anything terribly compelling with him atm, and the Bruce stuff wasn't exactly what I'd call gripping either. I do like the subtle parallel, though; even without his memories, Bruce Wayne puts value in the idea of keeping trophies. Catwoman was okay, but the panel work kind of took away from it, and I miss the old artist already.

Yup, that's why I'm sad volume #3 isn't arriving until Monday for me. I want it now :(

Read I Hate Fairy Land and it was awesome. My only complaint is I wish they just used the dirty language instead of coming up with words that sound like it. Fluff=Fuck. Youngs art was amazing.

Sex Criminals was funny. Really funny.

Star Wars SE was its usual 8/10 self.

The reason I don't post much any more is you man. You are pretty much my thought doppelgänger when it comes to DC books.

The reason I don't post much any more is you man. You are pretty much my thought doppelgänger when it comes to DC books.

Oh no D:

I think.

Yup, that's why I'm sad volume #3 isn't arriving until Monday for me. I want it now :(

You really don't need to wrap up Batman Eternal before you dig into Batman & Robin Eternal. Forever Evil, Grayson, and Batman: Endgame comprise the majority of the groundwork thus far.

Oh no D:

I think.

You really don't need to wrap up Batman Eternal before you dig into Batman & Robin Eternal. Forever Evil, Grayson, and Batman: Endgame comprise the majority of the groundwork thus far.

It's good. I'm a lazy poster these days. I can just say "Refer to Poodlestrike".

Yeah, quite a few passed.
Lydia and Carl are both 16. The other day Kirkman mentioned at the panel I attended that he intentionally left out the mundane and did that jump to the future. Their period of stability was much longer than you would think.

I wish this had been made more clear.
Like "3 years later.." Or whatever. But wait.. Maggie's baby.. What age could he be? Like, 2? I can't see him being any older than that the way he's carried all the time and wears diapers. But, yeah, it would have read better if I'd had a better idea on how much time had passed when I started reading the post-war stuff.
Ah well.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh man. I forgot how amazing Cameron Stewart's art was on Morrison's Batman run. Fantastic.

Welp.

Halo Hype has got me.

Make room, Destiny. Your brother is coming home from college in a few weeks.

Yussssss

Ain't no hype like Halo Hype.

OT: Read Starfire #5. Book's still got pacing issues, but everything else is 2 charming 4 me, so it's not a big deal. Nothing new needs to be said about the art, but it's worth repeating that it's really quite great. I think they've hit the sweet spot on Kori's naivete and fish out of water status now; still confused by idioms and entirely innocent, but not totally clueless either.

Just ordered the shield omnibus, I think I may be developing a problem... Tempted to spend $125 on new xmen omnibus but I feel like they have to reprint it...

VanWinkle

There's one thing I've really disliked about reading digital comics on my new tablet. A double page spread is supposed to be really impactful, and reading a physical book it is. It's huge and beautiful and awesome. But on a tablet, it just looks like a half-page. It's smaller than one single page on the screen.

It's not really something that could be fixed unless you have a huge tablet and were reading double pages in landscape, but it's disappointing.

Owzers

Halo 5, pfffff. I'm debating on whether or not i want to use the keep-it feature from Gamefly on Mario Maker or MGS V in order to free up a slot for Jurassic World rather than buying that movie day one. MGS V i probably don't want to keep, Mario Maker probably will be bad when the online stuff goes away. Hmmmmmm all this fuss just because i like dinosaurs and don't go to theaters.

Ipad Pro: Double page tablet. Double page spreads seem so rare outside of Bendis books that it doesn't really bother me, i remember being annoyed at how incredibly few pages in Hickman's Avengers work were double page spreads, Infinity especially was a cramped shrunken page layout book.

Of the two you've mentioned, I'd keep Mario Maker. The Dan Ryckert vs. Patrick Klepek rivalry on that game has been amazing.

Spent way too much on games this week. No more 'till Fallout, then that should tide me over until the glorious winter sale. Thanks for the open beta EA, Battlefront's good but now I don't have to buy it!

Get ready to relive that Halo 4 disappointment, boys.

Oh man, I remember that. I'd just beat XCOM: Enemy Unknown as well, which was my favourite game for years, and followed it up with Halo 4, which was utterly disappointing. I didn't get my limited edition either, which in hindsight was not a good sign.

I really hope Halo 5 delivers, even if I'm not playing it. Halo's fans and the franchise deserve better TBH.

Messi

Read Chewbacca #1

tumblr_mldfv2jD5G1rvnnvyo9_250.gif

it did nothing for me. I wonder how others felt about it. I thought maybe I could enjoy it via knowing him from popular culture. It wasn't confusing it was just kinda there. Notos art was wonderful and almost makes me want to buy the next issue. I hope he is on a superhero book again soon. Some Noto face of you have a problem with that.

Owzers

Read Chewbacca #1

tumblr_mldfv2jD5G1rvnnvyo9_250.gif

it did nothing for me. I wonder how others felt about it. I thought maybe I could enjoy it via knowing him from popular culture. It wasn't confusing it was just kinda there. Notos art was wonderful and almost makes me want to buy the next issue. I hope he is on a superhero book again soon. Some Noto face of you have a problem with that.

I wouldn't advise buying star wars comic spin-offs, sooner or later they are going to make movies out of this universe and you should just wait for those.

I read comics, I don't watch movies.

Mostly true for me as well, but I have actually ended up watching movies because of comics. I watched Army of Darkness after the Marvel Zombies crossover and loved it, for instance. Same thing with the Alien/Predator franchise, I read some comics with them as a kid and didn't see the movies until years later.

I'm looking forward to Spectre and Star Wars, though. I wanted to see The Martian as I read the book over the summer, but I still can't face the theatre. I made an exception for DBZ because I had friends with me, but it's still difficult on my own.

After a big fight two weeks ago I just phoned the first time again with a friend and it was extremly akward and she cutted me off really soon. Meh. Fuck this. And everything was so good all the time...

Start to reading certain comics after seeing a character in a movie is kinda cool, too.

Bummer.

Well, you've gotta start rebuilding those bridges somewhere.

Messi

After a big fight two weeks ago I just phoned the first time again with a friend and it was extremly akward and she cutted me off really soon. Meh. Fuck this. And everything was so good all the time...

Start to reading certain comics after seeing a character in a movie is kinda cool, too.

I wish there were Quorra comics I could read :(

Top Bottom