• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS|OT|October 2017- The only thing scarier than Messi's avatar are Marvels sales

For those who missed it, Lego Marvel 2 might be the best Marvel game this year...sans Mutants sadly.

At least it won't look like dreck.

I'll get it at some point. It's already pretty cheap on PC even on legit sites like BundleStars. Although I did get a Switch today, so I may see how it ends up looking on that.

Oh lordy. IST hit me up for about an even $100 this week. Darkseid War Omni, Hellboy in Hell Library, Walking Dead Vol.14 HC, and a trade of something called Mystery Society that has lovely Fiona Staples art.

Oh lordy. IST hit me up for about an even $100 this week. Darkseid War Omni, Hellboy in Hell Library, Walking Dead Vol.14 HC, and a trade of something called Mystery Society that has lovely Fiona Staples art.

No JLI omni? The first trade I read a couple of years back didn't grab me, maybe I should give it another shot before the 50% expires.

No JLI omni? The first trade I read a couple of years back didn't grab me, maybe I should give it another shot before the 50% expires.

I ain't really about that JL life. I did almost buy Absolute Authority Vol.1, though. But I saw I was already at $100 and figured I'd already ripped off IST enough for one day.

Dj Convoy

I didn't want to triple dip (I own the actual issues and then most of them again on Comixology) on JLI, but who knows, I just might end up doing it, anyway.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
😍

2l2j7j6xe1rz.jpg

Weiss

Banned
I should read Backstagers again sometime. I need some happy queer boy comics.

Bought Taproot for the same reason but I don't know if "he's a ghost" is quite the same.

Both of these are really solid books.

Superman is a good choice. Action I only keep up with for continuity stuff. Lanterns gets better, Titans and Teen Titans are in a good place now.

I'd say grab Green Arrow, Nightwing, Super Sons, and Detective Comics. New Super Man is solid as well.

Also my input:
Batgirl and the Birds of Prey is good fun
Super Sons as well
Red Hood and the Outlaws is actually pretty good.
Supergirl is pretty good

So I'd recommend those along with what MH listed

Oh yeah, Super Sons is a definite pick up especially since it has Tomasi behind it. I'll probably nab GA & New Superman's first volume.

Got my Birds of Prey by Dixon Vol 1-3. I can see right off the bat that I'll have a problem.

Catwoman in one of her worst costumes:
Code:
[img]https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/33916/1033888-catwoman_1996__037_23.jpg[/img]
lol. Given Cable's raison d'etre was to try and stop the world from being ruled by a monstrous dictator, you'd think he wouldn't be so fond of child soldiers.
He was a child soldier. Cable's always valued necessity over morality.
Doesn't The Wild Storm take place on a different Earth? Wouldn't that mean that Midnighter and Apollo would leave Prime Earth?

Good interview all around. Both of his books are at their peak right now and Milk Wars sounds radical.
I wonder what Marvel is going to follow this book up with.
Some of those covers are pretty good
😍

2l2j7j6xe1rz.jpg
Like it's good, right, but

It needs a hood

I know Ethan Van Sciver can be a jerk, but apparently he has a new Youtube channel where he does commentary of some of the comics he did.

I'm watching commentary about the first issue of Green Lantern Rebirth by Johns and, as a fan of commentary/annotations, I find it utterly fascinating. And man was this great art.

Man brought out a sketchbook called My Struggle with Sinestro on the cover and is on record as thinking McCarthyism was okay. "Jerk" is putting it lightly.

VanWinkle

Man brought out a sketchbook called My Struggle with Sinestro on the cover and is on record as thinking McCarthyism was okay. "Jerk" is putting it lightly.

That's fair. I don't follow him but I know people have had issues with him. I went to check out his Twitter to see what kind of guy he is and he seemed pretty nice, but I only looked at a couple days worth of tweets (he tweets a lot and I'm not going to go back forever just to see how much of a jerk he is). I will definitely take your word for it, though.

So I'm finishing up Secret Empire (just the main event and both Cap books) Two things:

-I like how Sam sort of mirrors how his book started. Originally he helped people get across the border into the US, and him and Old Man Steve disagreed on Sam's disconnect from SHIELD and violation of US law. At the beginning of SE, he helped people leave the country while disconnecting with a restored Steve, who took SHIELD and turned it Hydra. It's just interesting how his book started with a damaged relationship with Steve, fixed it, and then fractured it again in the ending of his book.

-How shook Steve is when T'Challa and Namor fire shots his way at the UN.

Some Nobody

Does anyone know of a good place to promote comics-related stuff? I know GAF is kinda iffy about self-promotion and that's fine, but I've been trying to drive traffic to the latest site I work for so atm I'd appreciate any suggestions.

VanWinkle

M8 he's not a jerk, he's an actual alt-right loon.

Okay, I didn't know. I watched one of his videos about a (supposedly) far-left book he drew called Catwoman Trail of the Gun and the only thing he really said political about it was how it was kind of funny that he drew it since it was antithetical to his views on guns.

Regardless, the commentary is just interesting seeing the artist's perspective on certain panels and interpretations and what-not. My point was not if he was a jerk or whether that was too subtle of a term. I just wanted to add that caveat before my post since I figured people would want to mention that instead of the commentary.

But then that is still what we're talking about, sooo. :p

Calcium

Banned
So I recently started reading the Rat Queens Deluxe Edition I picked up a while ago. Great book, I'm really enjoying it and I can't wait for more. I looked it up to see when the second volume of the Deluxe would be coming out and I'm not sure that it will be? The series is now marked (2017) and there is a fourth volume of the previous run that wasn't collected. Would that fourth volume be put together with this new (2017) series for a Deluxe Edition somewhere down the road or do I need to pick up Volume 4 and then start buying (2017) to read everything? Sorry if this is a common sense question in the comic community, but I've never encountered this kind of situation before with a book I've read.

So I recently started reading the Rat Queens Deluxe Edition I picked up a while ago. Great book, I'm really enjoying it and I can't wait for more. I looked it up to see when the second volume of the Deluxe would be coming out and I'm not sure that it will be? The series is now marked (2017) and there is a fourth volume of the previous run that wasn't collected. Would that fourth volume be put together with this new (2017) series for a Deluxe Edition somewhere down the road or do I need to pick up Volume 4 and then start buying (2017) to read everything? Sorry if this is a common sense question in the comic community, but I've never encountered this kind of situation before with a book I've read.

The Deluxe Edition collects #1-10 and the Braga special, which is the same content (except for Braga which wasn't collected before) as Volume 1: Sass & Sorcery and Volume 2: Far Reaching Tentacles of N'Rygoth. Then there's Volume 3: Demons (#11-15, there is a #16 but it is now considered non-canon and has been struck out) and Volume 4: High Fantasies (series 2 #1-5).

A second Deluxe would complie Volume 3 and 4 plus the Orc Dave special that just came out, if such a thing happens.

Calcium

Banned
The Deluxe Edition collects #1-10 and the Braga special, which is the same content (except for Braga which wasn't collected before) as Volume 1: Sass & Sorcery and Volume 2: Far Reaching Tentacles of N'Rygoth. Then there's Volume 3: Demons (#11-15, there is a #16 but it is now considered non-canon and has been struck out) and Volume 4: High Fantasies (series 2 #1-5).

A second Deluxe would complie Volume 3 and 4 plus the Orc Dave special that just came out, if such a thing happens.

Haha, nice avatar. Figures you'd field this question. Ah, so the Deluxe only contains the first two volumes. Okay, I guess I'll be waiting for a second Deluxe. Thanks!

I'd recommend just skipping Demons. Given how the 2017 soft reboot has progressed, none of it matters except that they found Hannah's dad.

So to that end, just pick up Vol. 4

So here's my take from Secret Empire

I wanted to like this. I did. I really enjoyed all of Spencer's Cap run up until this point, so to say I went into this event with a negative attitude would be to lie, which I won't do. I liked a lot of the set-up to it. And then during the event, there were a lot of call backs and homages that I enjoyed. So what's the problem then? I mean, I liked the idea. I liked the set-up. The execution, however, is just dumb. Plain and simple, it is. As a result, these callbacks and homages (Sam walking to Steve like Steve walked to Thanos; Evil Cap and Good Cap clashing like Tony and Steve during Civil War) ring hollow. Meaningless. Sam's stance as Captain America, his reclamation of the mantle (or at least a challenge presented for it) rings completely hollow. This event was so fucking hollow and meaningless, it just feels empty. It didn't feel like it was meaningful for the characters, because they largely came out unscathed. Nat's dead? Who gives a shit. We're about to find her again anyways.

Ultimately, I have a couple things that I think could really have fixed it. Basically, don't make Steve the main villain. Make Hydra the big bad. See, right before SE, Steve's book was giving us insight into Hydra in a way that made it seem like there was an internal power struggle for Hydra. Everyone had their own vision of it. Steve believed it to be a militant group designed to bring peace through authoritarian rule; Red Skull wanted it to be a platform for the Third Reich; Eliza wanted to bring it to its roots as a cult dedicated to worshipping the Old Ones; and Zemo was just using it for his next Masters of Evil. This was an interesting premise, since a lot of Steve's book gave off this vibe that no one trusted each other, and that there were these different factions. Did anything come of it? Nope. Because everyone follows Steve without question. Even Elisa, this super powerful worshipper of the Old Ones ends up going out like a punk. So what's my fix? Have Steve end up being the patsy. A tool to allow everyone else to step to power. Then, Steve, abandoned by the group he had dedicated his "entire life" to, has to basically figure his shit out. Have this character become conflicted by his betrayal on both ends. Have the Avengers catch on to him. Have Hydra fall apart due to infighting. Ultimately showing that this facist bullshit was never going to pan out, and have it get so bad that Steve has to sacrifice everything he got back to rewrite everything that happened. He becomes Old Man Rogers again, and is the only one that remembers. It becomes a significantly more personal story that matters. Sam can lead the way, with no one being able to trust Steve for what he did. We don't need this dumb, ultimately meaningless, Barf shit. We don't need Cap wielding Mjolnir, or any evil Avengers because we have Zemo's Masters of Evil. You don't even need to follow up on Miles and Steve beating up each other. You also don't have to justify the whole political commentary thing (Axel you dumb dumb), because it's just an evil supergroup taking over, and not a trusted and beloved icon.

This was such a dumb, hollow, meaningless event. At least CW2 had transparency about how pointless it was by ending on a NEXT TIME ON MARVEL COMICS promo. SE pretends like it's something it isn't and won't ever be.

And a piss poor conclusion to Spencer's Cap run. Meaningless tripe. You won't have to worry about me recommending that run. I won't be.

Like, goddamn it. Spencer's entire Cap run means nothing. Wow, Steve won? Oh great, so that means the Steve we were reading in your book really was just a plain, evil bad guy? Now there's just Pre-Hydra and Post-Hydra Steve in coexistence? So that shit doesn't matter, because any belief we had at Cap having to be redeemed was never going to come to fruition because it's just Bad Steve and Good Steve now. Sam does....what? He made a speech? Oh because that's never been done. All of this whiny confliction over whether or not Sam deserves the mantle, and somehow he does because he made a damn speech? So now any hope of Sam becoming the true Captain America and finally getting to show the world why he was Cap is gone because he does literally nothing that any other character couldn't do? Fucking Old Man Logan could have finished this. Sam's entire arc means nothing.

This is the most nihilistic run ever.

Sandfox

Like, goddamn it. Spencer's entire Cap run means nothing. Wow, Steve won? Oh great, so that means the Steve we were reading in your book really was just a plain, evil bad guy? Now there's just Pre-Hydra and Post-Hydra Steve in coexistence? So that shit doesn't matter, because any belief we had at Cap having to be redeemed was never going to come to fruition because it's just Bad Steve and Good Steve now. Sam does....what? He made a speech? Oh because that's never been done. All of this whiny confliction over whether or not Sam deserves the mantle, and somehow he does because he made a damn speech? So now any hope of Sam becoming the true Captain America and finally getting to show the world why he was Cap is gone because he does literally nothing that any other character could do? Fucking Old Man Logan could have finished this.

Now I'm just angry.
The Waid and Samnee stuff will still be dealing with redemption. I've heard that the Generations issue handles the Sam stuff better, but I haven't read it.

Sandfox

It doesn't change how garbage all of that was.
I don't disagree. Everything in the Sam book was ultimately pointless and the Steve stuff has it's own problems. Spencer for some reason also planned for Secret Empire to be much bigger than realistically possible and it shows in how some of the things are resolved or glossed over.

mreddie

Like, goddamn it. Spencer's entire Cap run means nothing. Wow, Steve won? Oh great, so that means the Steve we were reading in your book really was just a plain, evil bad guy? Now there's just Pre-Hydra and Post-Hydra Steve in coexistence? So that shit doesn't matter, because any belief we had at Cap having to be redeemed was never going to come to fruition because it's just Bad Steve and Good Steve now. Sam does....what? He made a speech? Oh because that's never been done. All of this whiny confliction over whether or not Sam deserves the mantle, and somehow he does because he made a damn speech? So now any hope of Sam becoming the true Captain America and finally getting to show the world why he was Cap is gone because he does literally nothing that any other character couldn't do? Fucking Old Man Logan could have finished this. Sam's entire arc means nothing.

And this is why Secret Empire shit the bed hard.

I dipped out on the Sam Wilson book many issues ago because it was too goddamn depressing and I knew Steve's redemption would involve purely Steve.

Top Bottom