• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't seem all that well organized, but it might be less of an issue for people attending. Hopefully the rest of the tournament is being handled better than the draft crews, that was a mess.

Fugu

Doesn't seem all that well organized, but it might be less of an issue for people attending. Hopefully the rest of the tournament is being handled better than the draft crews, that was a mess.
A friend of mine also alluded to crew's being a mess but I couldn't watch on Friday; what happened?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
A friend of mine also alluded to crew's being a mess but I couldn't watch on Friday; what happened?

Players dropping out, Leffen, Armada, Ice, and maybe some others. So some of the crews ended up getting redone at the last minute, some alts ended up being unavailable for whatever reason (Lovage was supposed to be one and for whatever reason ended up being unable to play at all). And it was really slow between sets, especially for the first half of the bracket or so.

It was supposed to be double elimination but I think it was going so slow and started late that they may have cut out the losers bracket and made it single elimination, but I don't know that. I just don't remember seeing any losers sets and the teams I thought were in winners finals ended up being "grand finals."

Wizzrobe is so good at 64.

Stream sucks again.

xezuru

Players dropping out, Leffen, Armada, Ice, and maybe some others. So some of the crews ended up getting redone at the last minute, some alts ended up being unavailable for whatever reason (Lovage was supposed to be one and for whatever reason ended up being unable to play at all). And it was really slow between sets, especially for the first half of the bracket or so.

It was supposed to be double elimination but I think it was going so slow and started late that they may have cut out the losers bracket and made it single elimination, but I don't know that. I just don't remember seeing any losers sets and the teams I thought were in winners finals ended up being "grand finals."

Wizzrobe is so good at 64.

Stream sucks again.

It's honestly a pretty stupid thing happening in Smash majors these days, I know everyone want to corral the pros into doing more shit on stream and with fans but the expectation to do so for every single side event, especially without any communication to them and accommodation to their time is kind of dumb. Half the players (ie Lovage) didn't even know they were in crews. Some people didn't want to be in and were thrusted into it, and even then the lack of communication resulted in Swedish, who was never even supposed to be in crews (he was NEVER going to attend friday because of work) they had to reset the crew draft from what people "wanted and actually drafted" to random bullshit so their crew wasn't their crew anymore and noone cares when your crew isn't what you chose and winner takes all of 300 per person.

BONUS: https://twitter.com/Lovage805/status/822373697486917632

Seperately, I fucking love Smash 64 but the meta turned so lame, I kind of hate that they got rid of hyrule but I get it, because of more camping, but it's the most dynamic comboing map imo.

Anth0ny

current 64 meta game is so campy. sad!

but when isai or boomfan are playing they tend to go in and it becomes fun to watch.

FZZ

Banned
I love Isai and Boom too but the entire metagame is so whoever approaches first usually loses and the only difference is "top tier" (the game is actually pretty balanced) just get more opportunities to escape and live if they make a mistake

I also really like wario's play if only because I think he's literally mastered the game and achieved perfection lmao

xezuru

when does melee teams start? team plaxe is super hype

Approx 4PM PST.

Full Schedule:
LxPqdlj.png

Anth0ny

they REALLY need to consider lowering the stock count in smash 64

5 stocks was chosen in a time where players actually approached eachother and zero to deathed the fuck out of each other on hyrule castle and games were over in 2 or 3 minutes as a result

now it's just camp heavy pika dittos on dreamland and it's fucking torture

FZZ

Banned
they REALLY need to consider lowering the stock count in smash 64

5 stocks was chosen in a time where players actually approached eachother and zero to deathed the fuck out of each other on hyrule castle and games were over in 2 or 3 minutes as a result

now it's just camp heavy pika dittos on dreamland and it's fucking torture

4 stock 7 minutes would be better imo

6 minutes if they want to drastically make it more aggro

Edit: Let's see if Dabuz can beat ZeRo now

Really hoping Abadango, MKLeo, or Mr. R take the tournament.

FZZ

Banned
Diddy weighs wayyyy too much in this game

Also rage continues to be the worst thing in smash since tripping

D1 is the Scar of Smash 4 except for ZeRo instead of Mang0

FZZ

Banned
TOs fucked up hard

Knockback was set to 0.9 for Komo vs Captain Zack

They're running it back

I'm more curious about ZeRo vs Dabuz tho

that would be grimy af if they don't run that back as well

FZZ

Banned
Yeah this is one of the most unprofessional grimiest things I've seen in a tourney

Replay everything or don't replay it at all

FZZ

Banned
Like seriously

Run both sets off stream while you do winners it's not that hard

smfh

edit: oh shit quadruple post

FZZ

Banned
Yeah knockback was set to 0.9

Rn the TO Bear is trying to damage control HARD when saying that the values were correct for ZeRo vs Dabuz which doesn't make any sense

There were jabs that traditionally kill at 130% on Diddy from Luma that were not killing ZeRo at 143% and one of the lightest characters in the game (Rosalina) living up until almost 200%

What's worst is people are trying to make fun of Komorikiri and call him salty when the entire set was illegitimate and he should have WON game 4. Obviously any player that literally just lost would be mentally broken and to add further insult to injury you're only allowed to replay one game and you lose that as well when you're just not feeling it.

This is so unprofessional and cringe worthy and I don't use that word lightly

They should run back all of top 8. The only reason they aren't is cus they want to get to Melee asap.

There were only two sets, they could do both simultaneously off stream while winners is going on, this decision making is so amateurish and grimy

So out of all of our players who went to Genesis, two of them made it out of pools and one of them almost made it to top 128.

If any of you saw Silver vs. a Samus on the TeamSp00ky stream on Friday, that was one of my tournament regulars :D

Hope the VoDs get uploaded cause he double three stocked the poor kid.

Hazzuh

It's confirmed Dabuz v Zero was on 0.9 : "Can confirm Dabuz vs ZeRo played with 0.9 launch rate, in game 1 Dabuz Uthrow Diddy at 28% which didn't cause tumble when it should have..."

What's worst is people are trying to make fun of Komorikiri and call him salty when the entire set was illegitimate and he should have WON game 4. Obviously any player that literally just lost would be mentally broken and to add further insult to injury you're only allowed to replay one game and you lose that as well when you're just not feeling it.

Preach. Of course you're salty after this shit happening to you. It aint either players fault, it's on the TOs.

Every unfortunate circumstances with the .9. Because the games right after have been great and surprisingly ending faster then normal.

If 64 had ended on time, we've could've replayed the set.

Strange that Melee doubles happens after. It wasn't like that last year right?

FZZ

Banned
Every unfortunate circumstances with the .9. Because the games right after have been great and surprisingly ending faster then normal.

If 64 had ended on time, we've could've replayed the set.

once again, 2 sets were affected by this

they should have just run them simultaneously off stage while they finished the winner's sets, everything doesn't need to be on the big stage

once again, 2 sets were affected by this

they should have just run them simultaneously off stage while they finished the winner's sets, everything doesn't need to be on the big stage

I forgot about Dabuz. Yeah, why not play off screen.

Unfortunate situation all around

Sami+

I'm really deflated watching the whole thing honestly. Someone knock Zack out already please.

Can't believe they didn't replay off stream, I swear these TOs are out of their damn minds. Don't care anymore.

I'm really deflated watching the whole thing honestly. Someone knock Zack out already please.

Can't believe they didn't replay off stream, I swear these TOs are out of their damn minds. Don't care anymore.

why do you want him out, did he intentionally hijack the game? is there proof of that?
havent played smash 4 in a while, but how would setting it to .9 even happen without anyone noticing?

Sami+

why do you want him out, did he intentionally hijack the game? is there proof of that?
havent played smash 4 in a while, but how would setting it to .9 even happen without anyone noticing?

I just don't like his character and am frustrated he knocked out both players I was rooting for, nothing against him as a person I just always root against Bayonetta.

Genesis needs to reimburse Komo and Dabuz.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I have sort of mixed opinions. If the TOs did not check the setup to make sure it was right before they started top 8, they should have done everything possible to rectify it. Off stream runbacks or whatever.

If they did and a setting was accidentally toggled by a player while doing something in the settings menu, I do feel like it makes sense for the players to have some responsibility. How do top players play an entire Bo5 set and not realize something is off? It doesn't seem that far removed from playing teams with team attack off.

Anth0ny

oh god so that's what the chat meant

i was gonna say.... did the newer patches make everyone's moves even weaker? because it seems like no one is dying

little did i fucking know LOL

Top Bottom