• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Codeblue

These Mango Can't Draw videos popped up on my Youtube recommendations, and they're sort of incredible.

Like, when Mango admits he's bad at something, he is absurdly bad at it.

Edit:

Try to guess what these are before clicking the link:

a6c8baf2cc.jpg

79f11e8d9e.jpg

06329a1190.jpg

Anth0ny

dude has over 4000 subs now? good lord.

does any other smash player even come close? doesn't armada and leffen have like 150 each? jeeeeez mango

Bakkus

This simply isn't right. The problem is not the game, there isn't anything to reprogram. Otherwise the game would have lag problems with Dolphin. The lag is caused by the necessary processing of a standard definition image on a HDTV.

- GC converts the rendered image from digital to analog, typically interlaced due to the rarity of component cables.
- TV receives the signal but has to covert the signal back to digital
- TV now has a picture, but it has to deinterlace it.
- Now the TV has a usable picture, but the resolution doesn't match the TV's display resolution, so it has to upscale.
- Finally, the TV does its image quality processing (varies depending on the TV and video settings) and displays the picture.

Switch would eliminate most of those steps, though it will vary depending on how it handles GC games. If it renders the game at 720p or 1080p, it would skip everything except step 5. If it renders at the original resolution, it would need to do step 4 either on the console on the TV. Likely the console based on Wii U (Wii games are upscaled by the console), but the console or a sufficient monitor would work.

For what it's worth, a Wii + Sewell HDMI adapter + good low latency gaming monitor has less than 1 frame of lag and is for all intents and purposes equal to a CRT. I think LucidMomentum uses setups like that at his locals, and I use that myself. A VC release would have even fewer conversions, so it would be even better.

When I think about it you're probably right, I was just using the 480p Wii as the basis for my argument regarding TV. When it comes to porting the game I just have a bad feeling Nintendo will screw up somewhere knowing their history of porting/emulation. Well, i'd be happy to be wrong in my assumptions.

In the last line, are you talking about those BenQ PC monitors? Those are really small, and ..ehh picture quality, would never use those over a Trinitron CRT, for example.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
There are a lot of monitors that work. The BenQ ones, I used to have an Asus one, currently have a Nixeus one. Just about anything used for other eSports would work fine for Melee using Switch or a Sewell adapter, which is one of the big benefits of having Melee available on a modern console. No need for special setups.

A Trinitron is bigger and has better picture quality than a lot of monitors, but few people still have those and they are basically useless for tournaments due to the difficulty of transporting them.

emb

Eden was fun to watch. Very competitive when we get a tournament without any top 6 players involved. Also, it's weird how many stacked tournaments we're having in December; usually this feels like off season.

Syrox is definitely one of the breakout stars lately. A week or two ago I hadn't heard of him. Now I've seen the guy take sets off of Colbol, S2J, Sfat, and have close sets with Axe, Ice and others. Apparently he's been playing a long time, but just started to really ascend lately.

I'm happy to see
Sami
get a big tournament win. Impressive stuff all around.

There are a lot of monitors that work. The BenQ ones, I used to have an Asus one, currently have a Nixeus one. Just about anything used for other eSports would work fine for Melee using Switch or a Sewell adapter, which is one of the big benefits of having Melee available on a modern console. No need for special setups.

A Trinitron is bigger and has better picture quality than a lot of monitors, but few people still have those and they are basically useless for tournaments due to the difficulty of transporting them.

yeah my tournament matches this weekend were on BenQ monitors and it was great. I kind of want my own now. My trinitron is awesome (and i didn't even know what it was when i plucked it off the street corner) but i have to imagine one day i'll be moving and decide i don't want to fool with CRTs any longer.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Unless something changed recently DPOTG will also have no gods in singles, Armada will be there only in doubles. If that remains the case it should be a really exciting tournament.

FZZ

Banned
Was pulling hard for Ice to win

Good shit to Druggedfox tho one of my favorite players, hope either him or Ice beats Armada

Ice is almost there

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Streaming has been terrible, whoever they brought in to run it totally dropped the ball. How sad is it that the only reason we even have a Melee stream at all is because they were lucky enough to have a volunteer secondary setup.

Still no commentary and some VCR quality video. Which is still better than the dead stream that was running at like 15 FPS and blurry.

Lmao, it came back just in time for one set, and then somebody took the Wii away from the streaming setup? Oh, they replaced it with a GC for some reason.

That reverse 4 stock by SFAT against PPU on FD, some lights out play there. With no commentary they really at least should have a crowd mic.

Normally disagree with everything Leffen says, but sweet lord NMW's commentary was awful now that I'm watching the VoDs.

It works for locals but yeah, it was a lot of "I know this guy and I try to play against him like this but I get bopped." Which gets old fast.

Man, was really rooting for Westballz. He threw away two games in a row.

Westballz.

Threw.

Sounds about right. His Fox is looking crispy though.

NEO0MJ

So I joined a side tournament for this game even though I haven't touched it in at least three years and man I was not ready. I could help playing like I was playing 4 and was destroyed.

So I joined a side tournament for this game even though I haven't touched it in at least three years and man I was not ready. I could help playing like I was playing 4 and was destroyed.

Haha, it happens.

My assistant TO went back to his hometown for the holidays and even though Melee isn't his main game he won a 9 man local tournament that his old crew put on.

Did me proud to see him level up during the school year he spent in town.

The real problem here is that Tafo places himself in the top 100 when he is a woeful player whose only wins are in sheiks best matchups against players who never play. I can't think of a player worse than Tafo and my grandma plays Kirby. His gameplay is sickening to behold; you could learn more about playing sheik from the Quran. Every set he wins is always one in which he steals the game. His neutral is disgraceful and sheik's auto combos carry him. Tafo has some unbelievably strong opinions on skill level for someone who doesn't comprehend neutral AT ALL or any micro interaction, which we can see from the fact he hasn't implemented this at all into his shameful gameplay. If you want to see Tafos utter lack of game fundamentals, just look at his Fox. Tafo cannot even short hop or wavedash consistently with Fox, even though he has the same jump squat as his main sheik. There should be no difference here, but simply playing a deep character like Fox, despite no genuine technical barrier different from sheik, actually causes his tiny mouse brain to overload and his fingers become gelatin which cannot move. I could honestly write a work on how despicable Tafokints is which would be longer than the Bible, Quran and Hadith combined. He makes it easy. I wouldn't put him in my top 10,000 melee players to be quite honest, and the fact he is in the top 100 is sickening on several levels.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Shitty memes are the reason I can't read the Smash and PM subreddits. Melee subreddit is better since the moderation keeps quality up. Though I don't read it much either.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
funny, cause this one originated from the Melee subreddit

Maybe it isn't moderation then. I dunno, I can't go into the comments in the main subreddit without the top comments being meme circlejerk shit but I can't recall seeing it ever in the Melee one.

PM one is the worst though, everything is either a meme or a gif from a local tournament.

Codeblue

Weird move. Seems like the sort of thing Mango would be extermely resistant to if for no other reason than HBox is doing it.

Does Tafo have much utility in analysis? Seems like he mostly breaks down stats, without a focus on actual moment to moment gameplay.

Weird move. Seems like the sort of thing Mango would be extermely resistant to if for no other reason than HBox is doing it.

Does Tafo have much utility in analysis? Seems like he mostly breaks down stats, without a focus on actual moment to moment gameplay.

TBH I expect it to be useless. Maybe if Tafo also acts as administrator / coordinator for Mango it'll be of some use, but yeah I don't see Mango meshing well with a coach.

emb

MIOM rank is down to top 15. Guesses for the order?

I got:
15. PPU
14. Shroomed
13. Duck
12. Wizzrobe
11. Axe
10. Swedish
9. Ice
8. Westballz
7. SFAT
6. Plup
5. Leffen
4. Mew2King
3. Mango
2. Hungrybox
1. Armada

It's all kind of a toss up though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
1. Armada
2. Hungrybox
3. Mango

These all feel kind of obvious. Armada is the BOAT and ended with an overall stronger year than Hbox, though the first half or so of the year was definitely Hbox's. Mango is definitely above everyone else, but behind Armada and Hbox.

4. Leffen
5. M2K

Feel like they are interchangeable. Who has more wins/better record vs the rest of the top 5? I feel like it's Leffen but I might be wrong.

6. Plup

Hasn't really done anything to lose this spot. I don't remember seeing him drop a set to anyone outside the top 5 all year, but I'm probably just forgetting it happening. Edit: Excluding locals since I didn't look at all those, I only saw two losses to people I don't have listed in this top 10 for the year.

7. SFAT
8. Westballz
9. Ice
10. Shroomed
11. Swedish

The glut. I feel like I could reorder these guys over and over and have no problem justifying it. SFAT has consistently issues but has the highest highs of the bunch without question. On a good day he's going blow for blow with the best in the world. And I don't really feel like Shroomed has done "badly" enough this year to justify dropping him out of the top 10. He's been about as consistent as Swedish, and more than 12-15.

12. Duck
13. Wizzrobe
14. PPU
15. Axe

I hate dropping Axe that far but man, he's had a rough year. Including not even making top 64 at TBH6. Duck gets the nod over Wizzy for being more consistent, but Wizzy has higher highs. Wizzy and PPU feel like a toss up.

Anth0ny

I think M2K had a good enough 2016 that he stays above Leffen.

I think there's a chance they put SFAT over Plup just because of how insane SFAT's second half of the year was. He went nuts. But Plup will still probably edge him out in the end.

emb

M2K and Leffen both had a couple of really strong showings this year, along with some weaker ones. I give the edge to M2K just since we had more data for him. Looking at more detailed info might give more insight, but I think M2K is at least up or tied vs Leffen directly this year.

I like the way you split it into tiers chaosblade. Except I would say move SFAT up to Plup's tier, I think they're pretty close this year. With Shroomed, it just feels like he hasn't done much this year to catch my attention. He has been really consistent though I think, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't even know about the tournament this weekend, but M2K beat (injured) Hbox in losers semis.

Wizzy won winners finals over SFAT, and apparently hasn't dropped a game the entire tournament, including 3-0 over injured Hbox.

Wow, sick edge cancel side B on a moving FoD platform. Never seen that before.

emb

This one caught me off guard. Thought Smash Conferences were Florida locals. This is definitely stacked.

Great to see SFAT and Wizzy (legit Johns for Hbox, but still) do well. Up and comers upsetting top 6 players is a good way to ring in the year. Can only hope now that Wiz finally takes a set off M2K in finals.

Codeblue

Love M2K, but if SFAT had beat him, it would have been a crazy start to Melee 2017.

Honestly, it felt like M2K was playing really poorly. He must have SD'ed at least once a game, sometimes twice.

Edit: in GF if that wasn't clear.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like it's time for another floating controversy. Top 64 players at G4 (except Gravy) are getting floated so they can do draft crews.

Codeblue

This still seems really dumb from a competitive aspect.

I mean, it's great from a spectator point of view because draft crews are rad, but I'd rather not make assumptions that Zgetto or Redd or whoever is going to get past some SoCal hidden boss.

Top Bottom