• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

xezuru

Genesis is coming, will my body be able to take it

emb

Wanna go to one someday hopefully, but who knows if I ever will. For flying across the country, Evo will probably take precedence. But I always think 'one more year...' since it's expensive.

Anyone here going to Genesis? We could do a GAF meetup if there are but there wasn't anyone else last year iirc

I'm not, unfortunately. The costs of Genesis are close to the costs of EVO for me, and if I'm going to spend that much I'd rather it be on EVO.

Also I have a biweekly to run for those of us not going out of town lol. Gonna be a free tourney though with our best being at Genesis :p

Wanna go to one someday hopefully, but who knows if I ever will. For flying across the country, Evo will probably take precedence. But I always think 'one more year...' since it's expensive.

Yeah, this basically. Not really ready to spend 1K on an event, even if it is EVO. Still trying to figure out how to make it work.

GamerJM

Banned
I was the same with EVO taking precedence over Genesis, but I went to both last year (>_>) and I actually think I had a better time at Genesis. Though I think that was mostly because it was my first supermajor so the whole experience just felt kind of magical, like the whole thing was just this surreal-like dream. I generally have a super uneventful life as a college student where I don't do anything day in and day out, and then this one weekend I just leave that and meet these people I've spent so much time watching on streams and on the final day I'm in this huge auditorium filled with energy and excitement levels that I've never experienced before.

But I definitely wouldn't be going to either this year if it wasn't for the Genesis venue being like, down the street from where I live basically, so.... :p. I think I've mentioned this before though and I wish everyone could go, though the stream experience is probably cool as well.

But I definitely wouldn't be going to either this year if it wasn't for the Genesis venue being like, down the street from where I live basically, so.... :p. I think I've mentioned this before though and I wish everyone could go, though the stream experience is probably cool as well.

Yeah, if I lived within 30 minutes of Genesis you bet your ass I'd go.

But it's like a four and a half hour drive for me and I'm always in a funk in January usually so I've been meh tournament travel wise. By summer I'm usually ready to get out and go places.

Will have a stream running during my biweekly though, and I have Friday off so I'll get to watch pools while I play Overwatch :D

xezuru

I think I lost my will to go to Evo over Genesis with how each tourney has grown in their own way. That said Evo is still phenomenal, but I personally used to have way more steak in it, where I didn't like where Capcom was taking SF but Tokido was my favorite player and he was fuckin hot at the time, Marvel was still fucking fire, and things like KoF and BlazBlue were surprise hype as fuck, and of course Melee was fighting hard to keep their spot in the most prestigious tournament in the world.

These days though, SFV is to the most extreme not my game, I feel terrible to what happened to Marvel and it's probably too little too late for it now that Infinite is around the corner, I would have fuckin loved to follow Xrd but there's I can't follow Japanese commentary and every time I tuned into an English stream they were talking about anime and waifus instead rofl so I don't know shit about player story lines.

Genesis has stepped their game / and smashes game to a fucking crazy close to equivalent level and I think average level of enjoyment throughout my time their would be way higher since it's more focused, that said when Marvel Infinite and other surprises comeee... but my wallet tho...

All I can say is this:

Being a TO this last year has both made me happy to see the scene go on like it has, but has also burnt me out on Smash a lot as I rarely get time to practice a lot and I play maybe 4-5 games a tournament if that.

I need to travel more to recapture that love of the game, because I kind of hate dealing with children and adults who act like children at tournaments now.

I totally understand why our last TO stopped to focus on actually playing the game again. I wish more people would run things in town so it wasn't just me doing 3-4 events a month. Places like SoCal have it incredibly lucky to have dozens of willing TOs.

The largest bracket I've ever run was 80 entrants, I can't imagine how things like Genesis get run.

G4 starts tomorrow right? Ah, I can't wait for a whole weekend of quality smash entertainment. Jealous of those who get to try out Arms too.

I hope GF becomes another Mango v Armada slugfest, one of the few times I want Hbox to lose lol

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm enjoying this corny commentary way more than I should be.

Those Fox/Slox/Stocks/Syrox rhymes.

Syrox is also going to be legit someday.

Someday might be today. Syrox has 3 stocked Slox and Lucky.

M2K just beat Hbox with Sheik in the crew battle, 4 stocks each. M2K didn't even pop off or anything, lol.

xezuru

It's really stupid how this keeps happening at venues, it's happened at Evo for like 3-4 years in a row, when will US internet not be trash.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's really stupid how this keeps happening at venues, it's happened at Evo for like 3-4 years in a row, when will US internet not be trash.

In Trump's America, not anytime soon.

Smashgod and Swedish in a close set, but the stream keeps going down.

Smashgod won, he could be legit if he keeps traveling.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Every time I think the SFAT videos can't get any more ridiculous or random, I'm proven wrong.

God I love Scar when he's not commentating when Toph. Everybody deserves access to Legos at a fair price!

And now Blur going on about how his life was shaped by Megabloks sucking.

OH NO! Oh we livin'.

FZZ

Banned
Scar has some of the most biased fucking commentary of all time

Wizzy isn't the best falcon? S2J has a higher peak?

I expect that shit from reddit comments not a tournament commentator

regardless, lets go S2J

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Not winning game 3 might have been the killer. Armada looking better now.

Going to need the johnny stock of a lifetime here.

So close, sooooo close.

emb

Killer set.

I've seen Armada go down at the start of plenty of sets before. But 0-2 in a bo5 is so much scarier than 0-1, even if it's bo3.

Anth0ny

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck man

i was thinking maybe it would have been the most meta ass strat to just lra start game three on dreamland and go straight into game 4 with your counterpick. armada completely turned the momentum of the set around during that game, slowed everything down, and it was over at that point.

Top Bottom