• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

I usually only watch tourines on my phone since I'm never home with they are on. I tend to forget how twitch chat is.

Anyways. Smash 4 top 8 has been great after the incident. Grand Finals, Let's go Leo.

The top 8 will be tainted completely though. This Genesis was just terrible for Sm4sh from a viewer as well as player standpoint in general.

Bracket messups, stream lags and poor coverage, and especially the knockback.

What else went wrong before?

Well, for spectators, they missed out on all losers matchups, which were much better than the ones in winners. They always have dedicated streams for both losers and winners in most big tournaments except in this one. We had to rely on Mr.ConCon (one of our Luigi mains) to unofficially stream it through his mobile phone with a poor internet connection).

Also, for players, the TOs accidentally got some people to play matches against others they weren't supposed to in a pool, which led to brackets being flipped and seeding being disregarded for some individuals. Using prominent players as an example, what should have been Kameme vs Larry Lurr for top 24 ended up being Marss vs Kameme instead.

Did it start late? Melee doubles were supposed to start just over an hour ago. I figured the 0.9 thing set them back a bit

i think 64 went substantially over because they only received 2 hours on the schedule but the meta is getting steadily more defensive and anti-approaching.

the 0.9 thing didn't cost a ton of time because they only replayed a single game.

Quenk

i think 64 went substantially over because they only received 2 hours on the schedule but the meta is getting steadily more defensive and anti-approaching.

the 0.9 thing didn't cost a ton of time because they only replayed a single game.

Yeah it started late. Smash 64 ran a bit late, about over an hour.

Ah. That sucks about 64. Smash 4 seems to be better about fitting into their scheduled times in the tournaments I've seen this past year.

This tournament is such a fail lmao

C20S9R2UoAIptKq.jpg

FZZ

Banned
Reno commentary kinda biased lmao

also it's not that good, hope they get into it as the set goes on. rn it's really awkward

FZZ

Banned
Doubles on the main stage is hype

Like legit hype

and I usually hate teams loool

Reno commentary still biased tho

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Doubles is great when the teams play well. Bad teams play makes for doubles that isn't fun to watch.

Commentators completely missed that excellent ledge steal to KO.

these matches have all been sick. makes me wish i had some static partners to try and get good with.

i guess i can ask my training buddy to try it when our locals return.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I actually feel like the teams play has been kind of sloppy. Especially Pewfat. Lots of uncharacteristic mistakes from them.

And that turnaround in the last few seconds of that match, good stuff.

I actually feel like the teams play has been kind of sloppy. Especially Pewfat. Lots of uncharacteristic mistakes from them.

And that turnaround in the last few seconds of that match, good stuff.

could be! I can't actually explain why i'm this much more into teams right now than usual. i'm probably missing sloppiness. i'm not exactly a good player.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
looking like fumble fingers for PEWFAT :(

For real, the SDs, team kills, and so many times they would knock their teammate into an easy KO for the other team. Not a good day for them.

Leffen and Ice have looked the cleanest so far in their one game, think they can beat Alliance in one set.

Anteo

At times Android was getting heavily outclassed by pewfat and had to rely on Armada to carry, but at others pewfat just dropped everything

FZZ

Banned
They legit got cheesed the last 3 games

Armada is over 100% guys why you focusing on android on a fresh stock

Anteo

Android was missing so many edguards vs sfat, but here he is doing a lot of work

Edit: Leffen: "Its simple, kill the Armada"

FZZ

Banned
This intermission before Melee top 8 has a higher view count than Smash 4 reached during its entire top 8

damn lol

Bakkus

It's already 4:20 AM here. Are they seriously gonna have this long introduction for every match like they did at Big House?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hbox/Wes the first set of top 8? Thought I'd miss the first set.

Is he the first one to take a Redbull out of the fridge? Lol, I knew somebody would. Thought it would be Mango though.

Top Bottom