• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Has a Sheik ever won a major?

I don't know, maybe.

lj9c3b.png

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys have you heard of Counter Logic Gaming? Looks like they are sponsoring PPU. Pretty cool that he got picked up.

But for real that kind of things surprises me, seems like there isn't as much money in Smash as other games.

Pappasman

Holy fuck that west v mango match was out of control. I've never seen west completely DOMINATE the neutral like the before. It also helps that his punish game was on point.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like Mango's girlfriend is stirring up controversy over Westballz (possibly?) using Adderall for performance advantages to beat Mango.

What a mess, it's not like anything could even be done about it if people are using drugs to boost performance.

FZZ

Banned
Looks like Mango's girlfriend is stirring up controversy over Westballz (possibly?) using Adderall for performance advantages to beat Mango.

What a mess, it's not like anything could even be done about it if people are using drugs to boost performance.

It's complete bullshit too. Lauren is known to do this (stir up bs controversy).

Westballz said on his own stream he took Adderall once and that it completely ruined his play so he never touched it again. He is very up front about what he's done. If I were him I'd be fucking infuriated because these rumors could be preventing me from getting a sponsorship.

Mang0 even said Westballz was playing amazing when he was commentating. It's getting tiring having all these excuses being made when a top player loses handily, especially when the player that loses isn't complaining and just saying they could've done better. Why make excuses for Mang0 when he doesn't need them?

Jigolo

I'm still rooting for the 3vo. Would that be the first ever person to win 3 evos?

Anyway it's mango's own fault he lost. He'e the only person I follow on twitch (and I barely ever use it) but I do get emails all the time and dude has been playing a ton of CS lately and funny enough I got an email a few hours ago that he went live on twitch...... to play Dota 2, lol. Stream was called "buster dota" or something haha

love this guy.

USA USA USA USA USA

3VO 3VO 3VO

xezuru

I'm still rooting for the 3vo. Would that be the first ever person to win 3 evos?
In the MvC2 Wong age, Justin Wong won 2001-2004 Evo first place consecutive.
Don't know if there's any other comparisons in other games, as Wong was pretty consistent 1st or Top 4 for 10 years of MvC2.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like Mango is just too complacent, or not as interested as he used to be. He's been getting beat but it doesn't seem like he feels the need to really get into practicing more. Even in his interview after Press Start, he said he wanted to get to "60% Mang0." It's like he feels like his best is already behind him.

The "demi-god"-tier players are putting in a lot of work and closing the gap. Not expecting a 3-peat, I actually expect Armada to take Evo. He's the only one of the top players that seems to be maintaining the "god-tier" consistency. And I guess there is PPMD but he doesn't enter enough tournaments to rate him effectively.

Kimosabae

Banned
Aight, I'm getting back into Melee a bit in preparation for EVO and CEO. I need to a rough idea of where the meta is, currently. What recent tournament archives should I watch?

Tomohawk

If by recent you mean this year, paragon, apex 2015, press start and I'm not yelling seem pretty good. GOML 2015 was the most recent big one I think

GamerJM

Banned
What should I practice by myself, as a Marth main? Mostly asking in terms of tech but also just general stuff.

To give some background, I lived with three guys who were into competitive Melee last year and went to local tournaments but I've never really practiced tech/fundamentals since I didn't want to hog their CRT, everything I know I've picked up from them or from tournament streams. I'm home for the Summer now and I started looking up tutorials and practicing some basic stuff but I'm mostly curious what I should know about/practice beyond fundamentals. Also FYI I'm pretty scrubby.

Pappasman

Aight, I'm getting back into Melee a bit in preparation for EVO and CEO. I need to a rough idea of where the meta is, currently. What recent tournament archives should I watch?

If by recent you mean this year, paragon, apex 2015, press start and I'm not yelling seem pretty good. GOML 2015 was the most recent big one I think
Ya, I agree. Paragon, Apex, press start, and I'm not yelling.

What should I practice by myself, as a Marth main? Mostly asking in terms of tech but also just general stuff.

To give some background, I lived with three guys who were into competitive Melee last year and went to local tournaments but I've never really practiced tech/fundamentals since I didn't want to hog their CRT, everything I know I've picked up from them or from tournament streams. I'm home for the Summer now and I started looking up tutorials and practicing some basic stuff but I'm mostly curious what I should know about/practice beyond fundamentals. Also FYI I'm pretty scrubby.

This should be everything you need: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_6o5NHvI9P8-qHp2M8w1gDzL_-JNonEE81Mh4ulY1PY/edit

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure I've seen that doc linked before but I don't think I've actually read through it.

Need to work on pivoting and shield dropping so much. Don't know why I never thought of shield pivots, that would be a lot easier than trying to flick the stick. I can never get that no matter how much I try it. I just dash in the other direction.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Not a good day for Smash. 0-4 in sets between Melee and PM.

I just played bad in PM. Didn't win a single game and only the last one was half decent. The guy I played in losers was pretty good though.

Melee was better. First set was against a Peach player that is above average among the folks here. Won the first game solidly, dropped the second hard, took a big lead in the third and proceeded to completely throw it away.

Then I ended up against the PM winner in round 1 losers of Melee... Took a game off him and both of the others were reasonably close, so I don't feel too bad about that.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I hate this. Last time I got knocked out of bracket this happened. I was up and thought "i got this, should be easy". Worst mistake.

Yeah, I really had no reason to lose that game. But it doesn't really matter what I place I guess, because I know I'm not going to win at this point. Whether I get top 16 (by some miracle) or 50th doesn't really matter because I try to play lots of friendlies too and get experience against different people, playstyles, and characters.

Played Smash 64 too, it wasn't tournament though. Haven't played it in like 12 years, it's really fun, but feels so different to play.

Tomohawk

I've looked at tutorials like this before (just the other day I was going through the Advanced How to Play videos and practicing everything), but I was more wondering if you have any advice on what to specifically focus on above all else, especially as a Marth main.

Spacing is the most important thing and paying attention to what the different hitboxes on your attack do. Also watch m2k and ppmd and see what they do.

GamerJM

Banned
Spacing is the most important thing and paying attention to what the different hitboxes on your attack do. Also watch m2k and ppmd and see what they do.

I'm gonna try and make M2K, PPMD, and PewPewU the three players I really pay attention to tbh

So, you guys wanna look over the pools and see if I missed some notable players at CEO?

for Smash 4 too, if you know them :p

Melee
Pool 1: Armada, Bizarro Flame, Gahtzu
Pool 2: MacD, DJ Nintendo, Arc
Pool 3: SFAT, Porkchops, Azen
Pool 4: S2J, Druggedfox
Pool 5: Hungrybox, Darrell
Pool 6: HugS, Frootloop
Pool 7: M2K, Gravy, Ken
Pool 8: PewPewU, Zhu
Pool 9: Mango, Toph, Blea Gelo
Pool 10: Twitch (PPMD's brother), Abate, Eikelmann
Pool 11: Shroomed, Darkrain, Tafokints
Pool 12: Colbol, The Moon, Tai
Pool 13: Leffen, Larry Lurr, Juggleguy
Pool 14: Wizzrobe, Cactuar, s0ft
Pool 15: Westballz, Chillin
Pool 16: Plup, Laudandus, TheCrimsonBlur

Smash 4
Pool 1: ZeRo, DKWill, Xaltis
Pool 2: falln
Pool 3: Nakat, Wizzrobe, Shaky
Pool 4: 6WX, NickRiddle, Stingers
Pool 5: ESAM, Ryo, Chris G
Pool 6: Trela, Player-1
Pool 7: GimR, Logic, Larry Lurr
Pool 8: Dabuz, Chillin, Pink Fresh
Pool 9: Nairo
Pool 10: M2K, PB&J
Pool 11: TheReflexWonder, Seibrik, Bloodcross, Azen
Pool 12: Anti, StaticManny
Pool 13: Mr. R
Pool 14: Seagull Joe, Tyrant
Pool 15: Vinnie, Poltergust (hey dude, you better represent GAF well! :p), Bizarro Flame (lol)
Pool 16: MVD, Hungrybox, Myran

Tomohawk

I wonder if azen will make it out of pools at CEO. Also for PM, OMG auto L-cancel. If it ever becomes tournament standard I'll be so happy.

Top Bottom