• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

FZZ

Banned
Looking like Armada will take it especially since he usually performs very well at CEO. Super salty PPMD didn't go to this tourney. Going to literally only Apex and Evo is dumb.

Also ZeRo will take Smash 4. Dude will probably go down as having one of the best FGC records in history. Undefeated since November, so about 8 months. Fucking insane.

Jigolo

Wow 13 Boca boys in this. Just skimmed the spreadsheet. Fuck I'm going to miss Friday because of work and I'll need to find Sat coverage so I can make it go pools, lol.

Excited as hell for my first tournament

Mumei

Looking like Armada will take it especially since he usually performs very well at CEO. Super salty PPMD didn't go to this tourney. Going to literally only Apex and Evo is dumb.

Also ZeRo will take Smash 4. Dude will probably go down as having one of the best FGC records in history. Undefeated since November, so about 8 months. Fucking insane.

dammit

FZZ

Banned
Why isn't he going. Is he still going through depression.

He stated he had some personal issues to still get over (most likely his depression) but that he has been getting a lot better. And that he is in a much better place right now especially compared to the same time period last year.

He ensured everyone he would go to a lot more tourneys after this years Evo, but still not going to CEO even though the trip wouldn't be that much of a hassle just seems like he doesn't care. Even his brother is going.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Let's go mangoAT, you know you got this. Safe pick really is Armada though, his fox mixup is too freaking good.

I want pewpewu or the moon in top 3. 20BC BOYS!

Tomohawk

Let's go mangoAT, you know you got this. Safe pick really is Armada though, his fox mixup is too freaking good.

I want pewpewu or the moon in top 3. 20BC BOYS!

I feel like Hungrybox has a good chance if Armada knocks out Mango first, then hungrybox beats Armada in winners. He almost had it last time they played.

https://twitter.com/Bizzarro_Flame/status/614191921469091841

wut

on the other hand, the top comment on the reddit page for this is amazing

"Bizzaro having trouble with his Westballz"

tumblr_inline_mpizp22CU91qz4rgp.gif

Bakkus

Unfortunate. Though given his current state of mind, I doubt he would have performed well anyways.

Dude needs to take a break and figure stuff out.

He does this for a living, EVO is only a few weeks away. He probably can't afford to take a break, at least not now.

Pappasman

He does this for a living, EVO is only a few weeks away. He probably can't afford to take a break, at least not now.
He recently had a bit of a breakdown on twitter. It seems like he feels that the expectations from other people for him to perform are really getting to him.

xezuru

He recently had a bit of a breakdown on twitter. It seems like he feels that the expectations from other people for him to perform are really getting to him.

I mean this/that has been going on for a while, and probably more so before he even had a twitter. It's just sad that I get to once in a while remember that he has one and instead of M2K Dreams and Awkward Quotes, I get pseudo suicidal wave of M2K.

Doubly disappointing knowing that I'm a Marth/Roy main and will probably never see him become this shining example again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_ZHTA0LJdw

Bakkus

His Marth is out of this world. Hope he can somewhat overcome these problems before EVO, really sad to see the overall best Smash player in history (between all the games combined) struggle like this.

Pappasman

Like I said in the other thread, Im really fucking impressed by the level up of the A tier of Melee players into "god" territory.

Finally the gods are no longer invincible.

FZZ

Banned
Leffen taking the tournament was definitely a surprise. 3-0 and 3-1 to Armada is convincing as fuck. Finally winning a US national basically ensured the fact that, yes, he is a god. Shame about Hbox's controller busting on him, no wonder he dropped so many edgeguards. It was super confusing during both his matches against Armada and Mang0 and only makes it even more heartbreaking in retrospect, especially since he was on his home turf.

Also side note: ZeRo currently has 38 consecutive tourney wins. No one has brought his Sheik to Game 5, and his Diddy has only been brought to Game 5 by Mr. Con Con with the single time he ever lost a set since the game's launch date.

Evo is going to be hype incarnate. And FC is next weekend too!

Jigolo

So hard to watch Sm4sh competitively. It's really unenjoyable for some reason that I can't pinpoint. But I love playing the game.

xezuru

So hard to watch Sm4sh competitively. It's really unenjoyable for some reason that I can't pinpoint. But I love playing the game.

Personally, I can enjoy any smash game casually in some 4 player freeforall dumb fun, but taking Smash4/Brawl competitively in any situation turns me off super hard, and I can't stand 1v1 scenarios in them. The thing that kills it for me specifically is the neutral game, Melee and PM have so many options and similarly have the amount of speed to be comparable to FGC footsies in any scenario, but over time Nintendo diluted even the simplest inoffensive options like crouch cancelling a run and over time the neutral game just seems like the limpest interaction of what's supposed to be the most important part of any fighting game.

Honestly I'd rather take 64 over any of the floatier brothers, and does kind of compare to SF2 ST in a way, with insane high risk/reward/damage, but has the combo variance to make it interesting.

Edit: What makes me extra sad is that they added in my boy Roy, and it's the saddest when I cant even be happy using him.
Haven't done the wierdo customs though.

FZZ

Banned

Don't go in with the mindset of them basically comboing off one another into oblivion and then taking the stock with a good edge hog or smash attack. Melee also has a lot of intricacies most players don't notice at high level, but it is a lot easier to see in Smash 4 and the like.

In Smash 4 it is all about the high percentage kills and how each player is attempting to bait the other into fucking up. Setting up frame traps, manipulating your opponents movements, and just having a good sense of fundamentals are what make Smash 4 matches.

Note Melee has all of that but being able to see it much more easily in Smash 4 along with the different roster, players, and different techniques being employed are what make it hype. It's not for everyone and that's understandable but saying it shouldn't be at a competitive level just cause you don't like watching it is bollocks because thousands of people do. (Also not saying you said or even implied that, just a lot of people do say that and it is really dumb)

Personally, I can enjoy any smash game casually in some 4 player freeforall dumb fun, but taking Smash4/Brawl competitively in any situation turns me off super hard, and I can't stand 1v1 scenarios in them. The thing that kills it for me specifically is the neutral game, Melee and PM have so many options and similarly have the amount of speed to be comparable to FGC footsies in any scenario, but over time Nintendo diluted even the simplest inoffensive options like crouch cancelling a run and over time the neutral game just seems like the limpest interaction of what's supposed to be the most important part of any fighting game.

Honestly I'd rather take 64 over any of the floatier brothers, and does kind of compare to SF2 ST in a way, with insane high risk/reward/damage, but has the combo variance to make it interesting.

Edit: What makes me extra sad is that they added in my boy Roy, and it's the saddest when I cant even be happy using him.
Haven't done the wierdo customs though.

Then you and I aren't playing the same game lol. Just because those techniques aren't there doesn't mean they didn't add new ones.

B-reverses, perfect pivoting, jab locks are all tech that are frequently used in neutral for Smash 4. It doesn't even go into higher level tech such as wavebouncing, pivot grabbing consistently, and character specific stuff like Sheik's wavedash/grounded wavebounce.

Brawl had DACUS and a lot of other tech I don't even know about because I was never that into the scene.

But there is tech for neutral it's just never mentioned as much as L-cancelling or Wavedashing.

Wow 13 Boca boys in this. Just skimmed the spreadsheet. Fuck I'm going to miss Friday because of work and I'll need to find Sat coverage so I can make it go pools, lol.

Excited as hell for my first tournament

Bruh, I live like 40 minutes away from the local Boca venue where dem Boca boys play at weeklies and monthlies (VS Game Center). I went once, got rekt. Gonna take some buddies with me next time who think they are good at Melee, and ask one of the Boca homies to style on them for good measure.

Rhapsody

Banned
I actually have a lot of fun tuning in to Smash 4 majors every now and then just to see how the game has changed.
Game just doesn't click for me playing it, but watching it in short bursts is fun.

As for CEO Melee top 8, so good.

Eila

I liked what I saw of Smash 4 top 8, except Dabuz who still plays an awful boring Rosalina.
ZeRo's Sheik is a lot better to watch than his Diddy Kong. From what I watched none of the matches went to time limit.

I liked what I saw of Smash 4 top 8, except Dabuz who still plays an awful boring Rosalina.
ZeRo's Sheik is a lot better to watch than his Diddy Kong. From what I watched none of the matches went to time limit.

people really can't let Apex go can they

Jigolo

Bruh, I live like 40 minutes away from the local Boca venue where dem Boca boys play at weeklies and monthlies (VS Game Center). I went once, got rekt. Gonna take some buddies with me next time who think they are good at Melee, and ask one of the Boca homies to style on them for good measure.
My practice for the game goes as far as friends over at my house. Don't know where they play weekly or monthlies around here.

I want to pick melee up but I don't have a CRT

Tomohawk

I was messing around on FD near the ledge with samus and was pressing up taunt and grab randomly and I teleported to the ledge. I did it multiple times before the game glitched out and I closed it. Was really cool but when I reopened melee I couldn't do it again. Probably something weird with 20xx and dolphin, but it was fun while it lasted.

FZZ

Banned
Just the exclusive number is bigger than Apex alone, let alone the crossover with not only Melee but other fighters. :O

Also, is this the new biggest Melee tournament of all time?

Yeah Evo 2015 is basically guaranteed to have the biggest Melee tournament of all time along with the biggest Smash tournament of all time.

It's amazing how far this series has come since 2013. That donation drive and documentary combo injected more life than anyone could've fathomed into the community.

Mumei

I hope Plup keeps working on his Sheik. I really enjoyed his match against Mango at CEO, and it usually feels like Sheik has been left behind by Fox / Marth / Falco these days.

Pappasman

Ugh, its kinda frustrating reading the general audience of gaf talk about smash 4 vs melee. Its not their fault for not knowing more about the intricacies of eah game and communty, but damn some of their posts are hard to read.

FZZ

Banned
Ugh, its kinda frustrating reading the general audience of gaf talk about smash 4 vs melee. Its not their fault for not knowing more about the intricacies of eah game and communty, but damn some of their posts are hard to read.

I find the posts that say "ugh 3 hours of smash?" "smash is so boring" "smash ruined evo for me last year, glad I'm not going this year" much more grating.

They act as if the games are forced upon them and they can't do anything other than watch the stream. It's toxic.

Pappasman

I find the posts that say "ugh 3 hours of smash?" "smash is so boring" "smash ruined evo for me last year, glad I'm not going this year" much more grating.

They act as if the games are forced upon them and they can't do anything other than watch the stream. It's toxic.
Ya. I actually really like watching games I'm not familiar with. I was sitting almost at the front of the crowd last evo and watched every single game on sunday. It was awesome.
well... except for KI...

FZZ

Banned
Good. The better game deserves the sunday spot.

This shit doesn't help out anyone.

I personally think Melee deserved the Sunday spot more. Based on FGC streams it usually has 10-15% more stream views plus it has established story lines going in. Just makes the most sense.

But honestly both games deserved Sunday for the sheer number of entrants. Whether he likes it or not that's the biggest way a community makes a statement and steps it up. Subjugating the second biggest game in terms of entrants to a two day tourney means one thing. Shit is going to be run to the wire. This also might stifle Smash 4's growth compared to Melee which has already carved out its scene. I think Mr. Wizard is just trying to play to his FGC biases when he could've easily had Smash 4 in the morning on Sunday and then Melee later in the afternoon. You wouldn't even need to have the games back to back.

Evo is still going to be hype, but there will be mismanagement. 1926 people in two days is almost unheard of.

Lazulic

This shit doesn't help out anyone.

I personally think Melee deserved the Sunday spot more. Based on FGC streams it usually has 10-15% more stream views plus it has established story lines going in. Just makes the most sense.

But honestly both games deserved Sunday for the sheer number of entrants. Whether he likes it or not that's the biggest way a community makes a statement and steps it up. Subjugating the second biggest game in terms of entrants to a two day tourney means one thing. Shit is going to be run to the wire. This also might stifle Smash 4's growth compared to Melee which has already carved out its scene. I think Mr. Wizard is just trying to play to his FGC biases when he could've easily had Smash 4 in the morning on Sunday and then Melee later in the afternoon. You wouldn't even need to have the games back to back.

Evo is still going to be hype, but there will be mismanagement. 1926 people in two days is almost unheard of.

there would be insurmountable amounts of complaints if there were two smash games on sunday.

emb

I'm actually pretty disappointed to see Melee on Sunday. I think the two Smash games are pretty interchangle as far as timeslot goes, and Smash 4 earned it by having a better turnout. I know it was said that order wasn't dependent on entrant count, and I get their justification for Marvel and SF last. For Smash I think it should have been the deciding factor though, for sure. Give Smash 4 some time in the spot light.

And I say this as someone who loves Melee and thinks Smash 4's just kinda whatever. Not my game, but it deserves finals day.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm actually pretty disappointed to see Melee on Sunday. I think the two Smash games are pretty interchangle as far as timeslot goes, and Smash 4 earned it by having a better turnout. I know it was said that order wasn't dependent on entrant count, and I get their justification for Marvel and SF last. For Smash I think it should have been the deciding factor though, for sure. Give Smash 4 some time in the spot light.

And I say this as someone who loves Melee and thinks Smash 4's just kinda whatever. Not my game, but it deserves finals day.
Melee has a history of player rivalries, and backstories that most are familiar with, just like Marvel.

Top Bottom