• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Tomohawk

I'm actually pretty disappointed to see Melee on Sunday. I think the two Smash games are pretty interchangle as far as timeslot goes, and Smash 4 earned it by having a better turnout. I know it was said that order wasn't dependent on entrant count, and I get their justification for Marvel and SF last. For Smash I think it should have been the deciding factor though, for sure. Give Smash 4 some time in the spot light.

And I say this as someone who loves Melee and thinks Smash 4's just kinda whatever. Not my game, but it deserves finals day.

I think it would have been cool to see smash 4 on sunday too, would have meant a lot for the scene, but as some one who likes melee more I'm not going to complain.

FZZ

Banned
Another issue I could see is stream monsters AND Melee fans tearing apart Smash 4 if it was on Sunday.

As much as reddit doesn't like to admit it a majority of the people who shit talk Smash 4 on r/kappa are also avid Melee fans on r/smashbros lmao. No fucking idea how that mindset even came to be, honestly just seems like it stems from misinformation from the documentary where once they labeled Brawl as shit a lot of people automatically assumed it was true and as result true for Smash 4.

Game hate is fucking stupid imo.

Edit: Gonna look at the brighter side lmao

Anth0ny

I'm obviously happy my preferred smash game got the sunday slot, but I'm surprised they didn't go with the newer game that got more entrants and more support from Nintendo.

At this point in each game's life, I do think a Melee top 8 is more hype (And has more storylines) than a Smash 4 top 8. the latter just feels so young and underdeveloped still. maybe next year will be the right time to give smash 4 the sunday slot. who knows.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I only really care that Melee is on Sunday because I should be off and get to watch it. If I was off Saturday I'd prefer it be then...

Selfish! I know.

Anteo

I'm obviously happy my preferred smash game got the sunday slot, but I'm surprised they didn't go with the newer game that got more entrants and more support from Nintendo.

At this point in each game's life, I do think a Melee top 8 is more hype (And has more storylines) than a Smash 4 top 8. the latter just feels so young and underdeveloped still. maybe next year will be the right time to give smash 4 the sunday slot. who knows.

maybe that's why it didnt got the sunday spot? melee storylnes are more hype right now and it has big sponsors behind some players (c9, eg, alliance, tsm) so maybe that's why

double post

here's why Melee beats Smash 4 at Smash-centric events but vice versa at FGC-centric events:

CJAEZENWcAE7e72.png:large

to summarize:

Melee has 1203 entrants only entering Melee, Smash 4 has 919 entrants only entering Smash 4 (in fact, Melee has more single game entrants than USF4!)
there are 516 players that entered both Melee and Smash 4
that leaves only 152 players that entered Melee and something other than Smash 4, compared to 495 players that entered Smash 4 and something other than Melee

emb

So what that chart is showing me, is that Melee players are the most likely to isolate themselves from the rest of the world. Makes sense. After you've played Melee, why play or do anything else?

Also, TT (Tekken?) had 0 players sign up. Interesting.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I want to know how many people entered everything.

Probably none because I imagine there is a rule limiting entries.

I want to know how many people entered everything.

Probably none because I imagine there is a rule limiting entries.

There was 1...although since Tekken brackets aren't up yet (or are they now?) we don't know if that guy entered it yet.

also Revven you making the FC Smash tournament thread or no?

Tomohawk

double post

here's why Melee beats Smash 4 at Smash-centric events but vice versa at FGC-centric events:

CJAEZENWcAE7e72.png:large

to summarize:

Melee has 1176 entrants only entering Melee, Smash 4 has 900 entrants only entering Smash 4 (in fact, Melee has more single game entrants than USF4!)
there are 517 players that entered both Melee and Smash 4
that leaves only 166 players that entered Melee and something other than Smash 4, compared to 501 players that entered Smash 4 and something other than Melee

Cool stats, looks like smash 4 is more attractive to players of other fighting games or vice versa.

Anyone know any good samus guides, I decided to switch to her as my main.

entremet

Melee still going strong after all these years. Amazing.

I'm more of a Smash 4 guy, but I come in peace :).

I had some great times with Melee--my copy will never be sold --and I still think it's a better spectator game than Smash 4.

It's crazy how Smash has infiltrated EVO.

emb

Melee still going strong after all these years. Amazing.

I'm more of a Smash 4 guy, but I come in peace :).

I had some great times with Melee--my copy will never be sold --and I still think it's a better spectator game than Smash 4.

It's crazy how Smash has infiltrated EVO.
Yeah, it's fantastic to see 2 of the top 3 games being Smash. We're accounting for like, a quarter of the tournament now, while two years ago we were barely let in at all, and had to prove our worth via fundraiser.

Yeah, it's fantastic to see 2 of the top 3 games being Smash. We're account for like, a quarter of the tournament now, while two years ago we were barely let in at all, and had to prove our worth via fundraiser.

actually, nearly half the competitors are in Melee or Smash 4 ;)

Rhapsody

Banned
I forgot to comment on it, but I'm extremely surprised for Melee to get the sunday slot. I sort of wish Melee got the slot after Xrd but it looks like I'll be sitting there from Melee to SF4 since I don't want to lose a good seat at Evo. lol

Pappasman

I forgot to comment on it, but I'm extremely surprised for Melee to get the sunday slot. I sort of wish Melee got the slot after Xrd but it looks like I'll be sitting there from Melee to SF4 since I don't want to lose a good seat at Evo. lol
I would highly recommend getting there early and securing a good seat at the start of the day. Thats what we did last year and we got in incredible seats.

Videoneon

shoutouts to our FGC GAF people heading to EVO 2015! Melee, Xrd, and even USF4 Smash 4 and everything else

Damn. One year, I want to go for sure.
and more than once

This round robin top 6 that FC Return is doing is interesting.

that's a nice format for determining who will be 2nd after ZeRo in Smash 4

xezuru

The Crimson Buster and some of the FC Return commentators were talking about what banned stages you wished were legalized for competitive play. Honestly, I kind of wish Japes came back into the fold, we don't really need another giant stage like that realistically imo, but it has a cool layout and you can do tons of cool shit.

I think I've posted it before but if you stick with this vid...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkfBqaMF1aU

Tomohawk

So.. Leffen just 4 stocked Armada

I ain't even surprised leffens a beast.

The Crimson Buster and some of the FC Return commentators were talking about what banned stages you wished were legalized for competitive play. Honestly, I kind of wish Japes came back into the fold, we don't really need another giant stage like that realistically imo, but it has a cool layout and you can do tons of cool shit.

I kind of hope with 20XX TE, they get rid of or alter pokemon stadium or alter another stage so its legal and does not favor fox, could be a good way to stave off the creep of 20XX. It'll be really complicated though, since it could end up affecting a bunch of other characters negatively too.

Pappasman

I think I've posted it before but if you stick with this vid...

Ya Japes is my favorite illegal stage. So fun.

Pappasman

People on twitter blaming Hbox for camping when Armada is the one who is down a stock and hiding behind lagless projectiles... smh.

emb

I'm not sure why Hbox ever approached last night. He was up, seemed like he should have waited and forced Armada to come to him.

Leffen did a really good job of staying on him, staying up, just not letting that get started as often.

Tomohawk

I'm not sure why Hbox ever approached last night. He was up, seemed like he should have waited and forced Armada to come to him.

Leffen did a really good job of staying on him, staying up, just not letting that get started as often.

Some people think he did it so the lasers would put him out of up throw up air percent.

FZZ

Banned
Johnny is the closest, he just needs to optimize his play and learn edgeguard

He would be top 10 in the world with just that.

TrickRoom

Was gone for July 4th weekend and just caught up to the FC vods. Doubles HBox seemed like he was playing on tilt up until his very last games. I have never seen him whiff so many rests in a tournament like that. Maybe it's all the Sm4sh rest hitboxes messing him up?

That Pokemon Stadium match in Grand Finals made up for it, though. It made up for everything.

Top Bottom