• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

emb

LTC3 starts today!

time to watch some PM boys

edit: apparently there have already been 54 tournaments with 100+ entrants for Melee singles, compared to 63 in all of 2014

not bad
Is there some place that puts these stats out there? I've seen old Juggleguy year in review things before, and he tweets about it sometimes... but it'd be nice if the data was just out there somewhere.

Iirc there was one weekend this year or last year that had, alone, more 100+s than like 2008 or something.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to fix up my Melee setup so it's not at my computer for recording. Got an old laptop set up to record, tried to do it over the network wirelessly. That... didn't work.

USB2 is too slow for uncompressed video, not sure if the laptop can handle realtime compression (and even if it can, I've never gotten compression for Virtualdub captures to work), and the internal drive is too small (my old SSD).

Still, it's progress. Unlike my Sheik, which I don't feel has gotten much better after the first week. Really really really need to be playing people. Don't really want to do netplay because I don't want latency and stuff to mess up my play offline.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Some other Smash 4 players are getting into Melee. I just saw TK Breezy play on Stream. He's not great yet, but it's just awesome to see. I do believe Smash 4 love mixed with watching Melee at Smash events will = more Melee fans.

I thought TK Breezy already played/commentated Melee? I swear I've seen him commentate it at least.

if ur in socal im available to get shat on.

Wrong side of the country, lol.

FZZ

Banned
I thought TK Breezy already played/commentated Melee? I swear I've seen him commentate it at least.

Yeah both him and EE have commentated Melee before.

TK has been playing more Melee as of recently too, but him and the rest of the Xanadu have been in the Smash scene for years so it's not new to him.

xezuru

Do you use netplay? I'm in midcal.

In other news, rumor has it the Project M t shirt pot bonus drive for Paragon resulted in around $4000 added to the pot. Hoping to take my share of it next month.

Super hoped a couple months back that netplay would be a more common occurance in here, still hope for it even though my computer is on the verge of collapse.

That said, super pumped to see some sick paragon PM, how far along is it to see brackets/confirmed entrants.

On a side note: TSM's Leffen: For Glory series episode is up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aNOBFe1k_Y

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
I think I'm finally going to get up the courage to go to Mayhem or SSS this month for sure. Time to start practicing. Anyone in the valley (socal)?

edit: damn I should have read just 2 posts up haha. Ghost PM me.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
For turnaround needle, how many frames do you have between the pressing the stick and doing the needles? I'm doing chain a lot, but I might be trying to do it too fast (and I just started practicing it, so I'm bound to do poorly at first).

Edit: Looks like the window is not very small. 7-10 frames maybe?

xezuru

For turnaround needle, how many frames do you have between the pressing the stick and doing the needles? I'm doing chain a lot, but I might be trying to do it too fast (and I just started practicing it, so I'm bound to do poorly at first).

Edit: Looks like the window is not very small. 7-10 frames maybe?

Yeah, sounds like it's more that you need to make sure your stick goes back to neutral before you press the B.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Was more consistent once I slowed down and wasn't trying to do the inputs within like 2-3 frames. Easier to make sure the stick resets. Still haven't seen the actual frames anywhere though, or Falco's turnaround laser which has the same timing.

Seems like useful tech once I get it down. Just a lot of inputs to drill.

emb

Yeah, you definitely need to hit the stick way before the button. Glad you got it. I have no idea of the frames either though.

Pappasman

I would be super down to get some netplay going on with gaf but I just got a new job and my schedule has been nuts. Hopefully next weekend i can get some game in with ya'll.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'd watch 64 but it will be over by the time I get home. I will get to watch Melee pools at least.

Getting better at those reverse needle cancels. Still messing up a lot though. Some chains, sometimes not getting the input to turn, sometimes letting go of B too early and not canceling the needles. Improving though, just have to build it to muscle memory.

Pappasman

Re: Smashcon

The problem with M2K at this point in his career is he iss better than all the non gods, but can barely keep up with the top 5. If Axe or West got to fight Leffen it would have been way closer and they possibly could have upset him.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Day three of practicing reverse needle cancels, consistency is in sight (perfection is still distant, though). Lot of flubs at first but it didn't take long before I was doing it pretty well.

Also started shino stalling using down instead of back at the ledge. I'm not sure which is "better," both are invincible. Using down seems like it puts the hitbox in a better position, but realistically it's unlikely to ever matter. Equally unimportant, doing it high seems like it might give you a chance to land back on the stage if some brave individual decides to try to steal the ledge. Just maybe, Sheik's aerial mobility is super ass. Also unlikely to happen unless someone is stalling for a timeout or something (I might have switched to Sheik but I'll never be that lame!)

Overall opinion on the options: meh. I think I'll stick with down just because it is ever so slightly easier to just do a simple down-up-down motion on the control stick than side-up-down.

Overall opinion on the options: meh. I think I'll stick with down just because it is ever so slightly easier to just do a simple down-up-down motion on the control stick than side-up-down.

I feel the same way with Ganon's DACUS in PM. Even if I set one of my triggers to attack to make the input "easier" it's still doing four motions in less frames than you have for a wavedash. After about ten minutes of practicing it I can get it down about 70% of the time but it kills my hands to do so. Not sure if it's worth it just for the extra bit of chase option when a wavedash -> uair will net me similar results.

Less than a week to go before Paragon signups are closed. PM is over 3K in prize money, and Doubles is almost at 100 entrants. Hopefully my bro and I get some time on stream to show y'all how we do in doubles. I never realized a lot of people totally neglect doubles or lack a dedicated partner, as shown by the Facebook pages for SoCal PM and Paragon being full of "looking for doubles partner" posts.

*Edit* Just now confirmed that the Teespring success means PM gets another 3K in pot bonuses for singles and another 1K for doubles. If I get 8th in either that basically covers my weekend expenses.

Why was Super Smash Con the tournament where Twitch chat started spamming "did he just walk up slowly and (thing)" and not a previous tournament, considering the origin of it was The Big House 4? lol

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Why was Super Smash Con the tournament where Twitch chat started spamming "did he just walk up slowly and (thing)" and not a previous tournament, considering the origin of it was The Big House 4? lol

I saw it in the SSS chat before that too. Such a weird meme haha. That or it was Xanadu that week, maybe both.

DID
HE
JUST
WALK
UP
SLOWLY
AND
SKULL
BASH

:p

emb

DID
HE
JUST
WALK
UP
SLOWLY
AND
SKULL
BASH

:p
Those two skull bashes were amazing though.

As much as I love Melee, Smash 4 definitely stole the show this weekend with the ESAM vs Zero winner's finals. Crowd for that was crazy.

Were any of you guys at the Smashcon? I might have seen you without knowing. :p
His interviews with Leffen and M2K were so good.
lulz, these I gotta watch.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Shield dropping using the octagonal gate feels way easier than trying to tilt down perfectly. To the point I actually feel like I could learn to use it. Not sure if I will mess with it yet, I have enough on my plate.

Stepped up my reverse needle practice, trying to do them over the battlefield platforms and get a second jump before I land. Not only have to do them, but I have to do them fast.

Super hoped a couple months back that netplay would be a more common occurance in here, still hope for it even though my computer is on the verge of collapse.

That said, super pumped to see some sick paragon PM, how far along is it to see brackets/confirmed entrants.

Oops, totally forgot to reply to this. Sign ups close Saturday, brackets should be up in a week or so after that. Gives me a week or two to study all the players in my pools :D

yeah sure i can use netplay if u need it

Sweet, more practice is always good.

Is this basically a Dolphin netplay thread? I'm down to play it if someone wants sometime

Netplay and Tourney / Competitive gameplay discussions.

I'll start posting here when I'm on netplay. I'm LucidMomentum on Smashladder, for reference. I usually practice an hour or so a night, alternating between PM and Melee.

xezuru

I'm fuckin ass and my hardware is straight borked, but if someone wants to destroy me in some melee/pm netplay, im down. (in WA)

xezuru

Mango is jokingly melee off like he's semi-retired and solely a commentator, i don't buy it one bit.

Meanwhile, I'm back from work, if anyone wants to try netplay on my jank ass computer and destroy me, hit me up, probably other people interested as well, in my case i'm in WA for ping purposes.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Mango said he tried to register but he was 13 minutes late.

Most TO's would have said "fiiiiiine but only because you are Mango and it's only 13 minutes." Juggleguy isn't most TOs. I think Mango and Scar even joked about it at TBH4 last year.

Anth0ny

DID
HE
JUST
WALK
UP
SLOWLY
AND
UPDATE
OP

Indeed! Super special thanks to DICKS AHOY for the new, super stylish banners!

Maybe I'll clean up some other stuff too

eventually

vCuiifu.png
vCuiifu.png
vCuiifu.png

Anth0ny

https://smash.gg/3

Genesis 3 just got teased for January 2016. So uh, Apex if it does come back is fucked.

oh yeah, this happened.

really cool news. I remember genesis 2 having no stream. I had to follow it via text updates on smashboards. twitter was barely a thing back then, if I recall correctly.

then, somehow, they got a stream going, and taj went absolutely insane and almost beat mango with his marth. good times.

Pappasman

DID
HE
JUST
WALK
UP
SLOWLY
AND
UPDATE
OP

Indeed! Super special thanks to DICKS AHOY for the new, super stylish banners!

Maybe I'll clean up some other stuff too

eventually

vCuiifu.png
vCuiifu.png
vCuiifu.png

I just went back to check and ended up reading the whole OP again. You really knocked it out of the park with that one. Fantastic stuff.

Top Bottom