• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

What a twist it will be if PP recovers and attends tournaments regularly this year but then we continue to miss leffen as he gets 4-stocked repeatedly by the deparment of homeland securiity.

Holy shit. Guys.

GUYS.

I found a new venue.

I'm putting a deposit down for a Saturday event tomorrow.

Finally.

I can sit back and enjoy Genesis.

I'm gonna main Bayo and make people hate her. That is all.

Knuckles Mii costume is a punch in the balls after seeing the PMDT's work.

....truth

not melee related but how true is this shit:

dWfsxVJ.jpg

loooooooool

So true!

If abate wins the rematch i'll lose my freaking mind.

Clearly we need to add to this hype with a leffen vs team samus boss rush if he can actually get into the country.

Game 9, Fountain of Dreams, last stock

S2J stomps Abate on the left side of the stage and Abate does one of the 3 options in that video

crowd goes wild

About a half dozen of Kern County's finest busters are going to Genesis.

I'm spending my money on venue fees so I'm staying behind. In the meantime, I will be making sure my Wiis are good to go and hunting down some more portable CRTs while I watch from Twitch.

Rooting for Abate, cause Weegie.

I am super stoked we finally have a new biweekly venue. We livin'.

GamerJM

Banned
Man I hope the Salty Suite is good. Being at one in person seems like it'll be amazing.

I'm pretty hyped for these next weekends. This weekend is Final Boss, next weekend is Genesis...@_@. I've never even been to a major before.

GamerJM

Banned
I don't really understand the argument for M2K over Mango. Mango won Paragon LA and Press Start, both of which seem like bigger wins than anything M2K won, and Mango also outplaced him at tournaments like Apex, WTFox, and Summit. The only thing I can think of is that M2K doesn't have anything like Mango's 17th at HTC, and M2K outplaced him at TBH5 which is still a tournament that's lingering in everyone's minds.

fun fact: #7-#10 on MIOM top 100 was in alphabetical order, #1-6 was not

the top 6 in alphabetical order?

Armada
Hbox
Leffen
Mango
M2K
PPMD

food for thought

Genesis 3 update

Melee-1814 (+24)
Smash 4-1064 (+11)
Smash 64-226 (+5)
Total players registered-3212 (+76)

55 away from Evo 2015!

FZZ

Banned
MIOM 1-3 out today

Already confirmed Leffen at 3 and Hbox at 2. Only separated by a thousandths decimal place...

peter0611

Well, thank goodness the rankings are not a popularity contest and based on quality of results. If it was the other way around, hbox would be near the bottom and mango would somehow occupy 1-3.

Edit: heck, armada might be ranked pretty low in a ranking based on user input too...

Anth0ny

So the list goes:

6. PPMD
5. M2K
4. Mango
3. Leffen
2. Hbox
1. Armada

unreal. that's not my order at ALL. good to see the variation, though. I still think PP can take out anyone above him and I wouldn't consider it much of an upset. Think back to what that dude was doing exactly a year ago...

M2K is a staple at 6th right now imo. PP beats him, and at this point him beating anyone above him on the list IS an upset. PP I can see at 5 due to inactivity, but he's still a killer when he's on. Mango at 4 seems ridiculous. Leffen and Hbox had incredible an incredible 2015 so I understand the placement but Mango still poops on both of them. Armada is the obvious #1, that we can all agree.

Genesis is gonna be so interesting. Can't wait.

Mango doesn't deserve anything higher than 4th, it was his own fault for bustering the way he has imo and hopefully this encourages him to stop being complacent and really fight for 1st this year. He may as well have walked up to Armada and said "here you go, take #1 because I don't want it."

I think Leffen below Hbox is pretty sensible, Leffen had a big issue with Samus throughout 2015 and the visa issues really hurt his attendance.

Mango at #4 makes total sense for his 2015 results. He's obviously one of the best players in the world but the combination of a) him seemingly caring less about being #1 and b) other top players narrowing the skill gap makes him the current #4.

Hbox secured # 2 spot by winning Dreamhack, if that didn't happen then I think Leffen would have been an easy choice for #2. As far as PPMD goes, I hate to take away anything from his Apex win since he ended up defeating the Sweden boys to earn his victory, but there were a few factors that tournament I think need to be considered which ultimately does cheapen that win a bit. Namely the madness of cramming the (at the time) largest Smash tournament ever into two days which caused the grand finals spill over into the early hours of that Monday morning, as well as notable upsets of M2k and Hbox which altered the bracket significantly. PPMD has a high ceiling but after Apex he didn't really have any results to put him above M2k or Mango.

Going into 2016 the top 6 players are definitely threats to each other except maybe Armada who is just unreal...honestly it's still shocking that Hbox managed to win over him.

One last thing, I know it's not really practical to include but I would consider doubles play to be a significant factor when rating players, i.e. Mango and PP are notably weaker doubles players than the remaining top six.

GamerJM

Banned
Personally I'd put Leffen over HBox but I can see the argument for the other way around, I think they're really close. Otherwise that's my order.

I personally think Hbox and Leffen are the only top 6 that can hold a candle to Armada right now, Mango doesn't look like he'll be catching up any time soon, M2K didn't beat Armada in the two times they've played this year, and we've seen too little of PP to place confident bets in him beyond defending his Apex crown (what's going on with that tournament anyway?).

And also, I think it's best for the MIOM top 100 to focus on singles, throwing in another gametype shouldn't be a significant influence.

Not related to Melee but I'd like to see the Smash 4 community attempt a similar list.

Even 64 seems to be working on an NA-only list!

I feel like Smash 4 is too volatile at the moment for such a list, we've had 5 characters added at various points throughout the year along with various balance patches.

2016 looks like that'll calm down though, so maybe we'll see something then. :)

(gee I sure am posting a lot in here)

just do top 25 like Smash 64, that way people don't got bogged down arguing over who's #43 or whatever

lol m2k is still #5 in Smash 4 on Smashboards' ranking thing

Not related to Melee but I'd like to see the Smash 4 community attempt a similar list.

I feel like Smash 4 is too volatile at the moment for such a list, we've had 5 characters added at various points throughout the year along with various balance patches.

2016 looks like that'll calm down though, so maybe we'll see something then. :)

(gee I sure am posting a lot in here)

FZZ

Banned
I am sure a definitive top 15 list could be made for Smash 4. Beyond that it honestly becomes too debatable, next year though I am sure there will be a clear indication of which players rank higher and which are lower.

Genesis 3 is going to be amazing for Smash as a whole.

I personally think Hbox and Leffen are the only top 6 that can hold a candle to Armada right now, Mango doesn't look like he'll be catching up any time soon, M2K didn't beat Armada in the two times they've played this year, and we've seen too little of PP to place confident bets in him beyond defending his Apex crown (what's going on with that tournament anyway?).

And also, I think it's best for the MIOM top 100 to focus on singles, throwing in another gametype shouldn't be a significant influence.

From what I've gathered Apex has been taken over by the Bifuteki guys and they are planning to move the tournament to some time in the spring (which is a great decision, last year I drove through a terrible snowstorm to get home from Apex, winter in the northeast can be shitty). Whether or not these guys will run the event well has yet to be proven, hopefully it works out because despite everything that happened at Apex 15, it was one of the most enjoyable tournaments I've been to mainly due to how the community came together to keep it going.

Yeah focusing on singles is best for what they are trying to accomplish, in general though I wish doubles held more weight/was more popular. Doing a team ranking doesn't even make sense because there are very few static teams.

just do top 25 like Smash 64, that way people don't got bogged down arguing over who's #43 or whatever

lol m2k is still #5 in Smash 4 on Smashboards' ranking thing

I'd like to see Smash 4 rankings start to develop, but from my observations this past year I think the community is too split to form a consensus (compared to 64/melee/PM) past the top 5 players. Also the data is kinda weak at the moment, though there's probably enough to get a starting list. :)

final registration numbers for Genesis 3:

Melee-1840 (just 30 short of beating Evo 2015, probably would've reached it if the venue fee didn't jump all the way to $100 :/)
Smash 4-1098
Smash 64-238

CronoShot

Wonder why Smash 4 turnout is so low. It was higher than Melee at EVO, now it's much lower for Genesis.

Unless it's just Melee that's unusually high.

Anth0ny

Wonder why Smash 4 turnout is so low. It was higher than Melee at EVO, now it's much lower for Genesis.

Genesis has a rich Melee heritage and Evo brings out the casuals more than any other tournament.

and I don't mean casuals in a bad way, I'm just saying Evo is that ONE tournament you go to a year, so the numbers are massive. a new game like smash 4 benefits from that hype.

street fighter V at evo is going to be fucking ridiculous this year, watch.

Smash 4 has more crossover with other FGC games, hence why it has higher attendance at Evo/CEO while Melee has higher attendance at most Smash-centric majors (Smash Con was like the only exception)

of course, that doesn't explain why the disparity is that big, especially considering the international players for Smash 4

CronoShot

Genesis has a rich Melee heritage and Evo brings out the casuals more than any other tournament.

and I don't mean casuals in a bad way, I'm just saying Evo is that ONE tournament you go to a year, so the numbers are massive. a new game like smash 4 benefits from that hype.

street fighter V at evo is going to be fucking ridiculous this year, watch.

Yeah, I'm looking at Big House 5 numbers, and it had an even bigger split.

Still, gonna be a crazy tournament for both games. And hell, even 64.

People know that melee is hard. It's easier for us ultra-scrubs to delude ourselves into thinking we might not go 0-2 when it comes to sm4sh. That's how I've been explaining the high cross-registration at evo to myself. Or maybe lots of melee players also cross-registered for only evo before realizing sm4sh wasn't for them.

Codeblue

People know that melee is hard. It's easier for us ultra-scrubs to delude ourselves into thinking we might not go 0-2 when it comes to sm4sh. That's how I've been explaining the high cross-registration at evo to myself. Or maybe lots of melee players also cross-registered for only evo before realizing sm4sh wasn't for them.

I can attest to this personally. Moving around in Melee is cripplingly difficult for me and I don't want to embarrass myself, but I'll enter Smash 4 tournaments because I think I have a good handle on the game and go 1-2.

GamerJM

Banned
I'm a scrub at both games, but I enter Melee tournaments because it's easier for me to see how I can improve. There's a clear growth path in terms of tech skill and whenever I lose I usually understand why. Whereas whenever I play Smash 4 I just feel aimless, like I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Well, that and I like Melee a lot more as a game. And I'd rather focus on it than on Smash 4, since I'm worried playing Smash 4 too much would mess up Melee.

I'm a scrub at both games, but I enter Melee tournaments because it's easier for me to see how I can improve. There's a clear growth path in terms of tech skill and whenever I lose I usually understand why. Whereas whenever I play Smash 4 I just feel aimless, like I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Well, that and I like Melee a lot more as a game. And I'd rather focus on it than on Smash 4, since I'm worried playing Smash 4 too much would mess up Melee.

I do worry about that a bit, but I think i'm actually so ridiculously bad on the most fundamental aspects of everything that any progress will still carry over between both. Quicker hands/eyes/brain, less fragile nerves, more patience are all things I need. In three months I'll re-evaluate.

Top Bottom