• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

That is a sexy cube. But there can only be one GOAT:

magcspiceorange27brxe.jpg

And I have everything in that picture, hehehe.

Ok you've convinced me I'm digging my orange cube controller out of storage.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't take too long to win. TAS Falco > TAS Fox, why is Fox missing shine spikes and stuff while Falco is nailing those illusion gimps.

Pretty cool though, and must have taken a ton of work.

Haven't played Melee in several months, but I wanna try and pick it up again since I was doing pretty well before Sm4sh dropped. Doc is dead to me now though, so I wonder who to play? Maybe Pikachu or Sheik...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't played Melee in several months, but I wanna try and pick it up again since I was doing pretty well before Sm4sh dropped. Doc is dead to me now though, so I wonder who to play? Maybe Pikachu or Sheik...

Far from the easiest character to learn and use well, but
cfalcon.png

I've also heard Fox is kinda good, but I dunno.

emb

Pikachu doesn't get enough love I think. But his learning curve seems really steep.

Far from the easiest character to learn and use well, but
cfalcon.png

I've also heard Fox is kinda good, but I dunno.

Pikachu doesn't get enough love I think. But his learning curve seems really steep.

I should mention that I'm not new to Melee, and the two I threw out were characters I toyed around with before my hiatus.

That said, I guess I could try out Falcon. Even scrubby Falcon can be hype lol.

Anth0ny

Melee in that fucking stadium is going to be so sweet. I NEED TO BE IN VEGAS THAT WEEKEND.

Also, this thread is one of the main reasons why Melee is still so exciting after all these years. No other game like it, certainly not any other fighting games. Allows personal expression like no other game.

Pappasman

I'm definitely doing everything I can go go this year. I went to Evo 2014 and it was an incredible experience. I did well, but I'm so much better now and want to go to a major thats not in my state.

I had a lot of great experiences at Evo 2014. I met Prog and Scar, talked to FlyAminita right after top 8 and talked to Mango right after he won. So hype.
Marvel, Melee, SFV, Xrd, and MKX in some order.
I beleive Mr. Wizard said marvel would be on saturday.
Melee in that fucking stadium is going to be so sweet. I NEED TO BE IN VEGAS THAT WEEKEND.

Also, this thread is one of the main reasons why Melee is still so exciting after all these years. No other game like it, certainly not any other fighting games. Allows personal expression like no other game.
Ya it was awesome to see so much melee love in that thread.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I finally got around to testing the HDMI adapter I got for Christmas. It's the Sewell one.

If you have a display worth using it with, it makes for a nice alternative to a CRT. Felt great with my VH326H. Don't expect my TV to be up to snuff, Nintendont felt slightly off with it so I'm sure this adapter will too. Unless Nintendont has some innate latency I don't know about.

Anth0ny

I finally got around to testing the HDMI adapter I got for Christmas. It's the Sewell one.

If you have a display worth using it with, it makes for a nice alternative to a CRT. Felt great with my VH326H. Don't expect my TV to be up to snuff, Nintendont felt slightly off with it so I'm sure this adapter will too. Unless Nintendont has some innate latency I don't know about.

I wonder how long until Gamecube gets this treatment:

EWgu0J4.jpg

Assuming it's perfect and lag free, someone out there is missing out on a potential goldmine with the Smash community.

Chase17

Does anyone have a good link for Genesis top 8? I've somehow yet to see it.

Edit: After some further looking I've seemed to have found a good video of it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how long until Gamecube gets this treatment:

EWgu0J4.jpg

Assuming it's perfect and lag free, someone out there is missing out on a potential goldmine with the Smash community.

Not toooo long, if the GC community thread is anything to go by. Folks talking about it getting a digital port -> HDMI converter so it wouldn't even require modding. Obvious downside is that it requires a DOL-001 Cube.

HDMI Wii mod would also be good, if only because damn near every Wii would work rather than only half-ish. Wiis without GC support are a small minority.

Tomohawk

Got ranked 8th in my universities smash club and was so close to taking out number 6 in a ranking match. I gotta lab my samus more!

Anyone know when non-stream vods for genesis 3 will be out?

Anth0ny

Not toooo long, if the GC community thread is anything to go by. Folks talking about it getting a digital port -> HDMI converter so it wouldn't even require modding. Obvious downside is that it requires a DOL-001 Cube.

HDMI Wii mod would also be good, if only because damn near every Wii would work rather than only half-ish. Wiis without GC support are a small minority.

just saw that. pretty cool.

but yeah, HDMI Wii mod probably makes waaaaaaay more sense just considering how huge the install base is, PLUS with how easy it is to mod you can basically play every console ever on a HDTV.

also melee hd confirmed for nx

just saw that. pretty cool.

but yeah, HDMI Wii mod probably makes waaaaaaay more sense just considering how huge the install base is, PLUS with how easy it is to mod you can basically play every console ever on a HDTV.

also melee hd confirmed for nx

There hasn't been like a unified movement in the Melee community get an HD version right? Now might be the time, we've never had better visibility and Nintendo seems to be interested in porting Smash to NX...

Of course with that rumor of Namco Bandai developing the port it doesn't seem too likely they will touch Melee.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
There hasn't been like a unified movement in the Melee community get an HD version right? Now might be the time, we've never had better visibility and Nintendo seems to be interested in porting Smash to NX...

Of course with that rumor of Namco Bandai developing the port it doesn't seem too likely they will touch Melee.

I wouldn't even want to see a Melee HD port unless the community was involved one way or the other. Even if it's just the guys at Twitch, Prog, etc. Without community input I think they would screw it up more likely than not, and that would potentially fracture the community. Not to mention refusing the new version would make the community look bad.

Pappasman

I wouldn't even want to see a Melee HD port unless the community was involved one way or the other. Even if it's just the guys at Twitch, Prog, etc. Without community input I think they would screw it up more likely than not, and that would potentially fracture the community. Not to mention refusing the new version would make the community look bad.

Easy. You put in the option to choose old balance or new balance.

I've thought a lot about this. I should get around to writing it all down some time.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Easy. You put in the option to choose old balance or new balance.

I've thought a lot about this. I should get around to writing it all down some time.

I've said the same thing before. I don't trust them to come up with that idea themselves though, and I especially don't trust them to feel it's a good idea. This is the company that loves simple everything, and a "complicated" option like selecting which balance you want to use doesn't fit their MO.

I've said the same thing before. I don't trust them to come up with that idea themselves though, and I especially don't trust them to feel it's a good idea. This is the company that loves simple everything, and a "complicated" option like selecting which balance you want to use doesn't fit their MO.

Not that I'm saying Nintendo would add such an option in a hypothetical Melee HD, but Smash is not exactly a series that keeps things "simple" feature-wise.

Smash Bros. Legacy for NX.

Featuring:

Smash 64
Melee (With PAL or US options, and Tournament Edition mode!)
Brawl (With PM mode!)
Smash 4

Supports GameCube adapter, and online for all 4 games featuring GGPO netcode!

I will buy 20 copies for my 20 consoles.

:(

GamerJM

Banned

What would they even do to screw it up? I don't think they'd deliberately mess with the mechanics of the game, or at least not to the point where the community would dislike the game. If they make Melee HD it's because they know the competitive community wants it. If they're not aware of this and the basic idea of why people like Melee as a competitive game then they're not making Melee HD because it wouldn't really make much sense otherwise, given that most non-competitive people see Smash as an iterative series that just gets better with each release. It would make more sense for them to put effort into remastering the Mario Galaxy games or the Metroid Prime games or something.

Keep in mind, I don't think that the higher-ups at Nintendo (not NoA, Nintendo itself) care about the competitive community a whole lot. Which is why I think it's more likely that we don't get Melee HD. I'm just saying that if we do, I highly doubt they'd screw it up. The only thing I can think of is if they add characters and the majority of the community doesn't like said new characters.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What would they even do to screw it up? I don't think they'd deliberately mess with the mechanics of the game, or at least not to the point where the community would dislike the game. If they make Melee HD it's because they know the competitive community wants it. If they're not aware of this and the basic idea of why people like Melee as a competitive game then they're not making Melee HD because it wouldn't really make much sense otherwise, given that most non-competitive people see Smash as an iterative series that just gets better with each release. It would make more sense for them to put effort into remastering the Mario Galaxy games or the Metroid Prime games or something.

Keep in mind, I don't think that the higher-ups at Nintendo (not NoA, Nintendo itself) care about the competitive community a whole lot. Which is why I think it's more likely that we don't get Melee HD. I'm just saying that if we do, I highly doubt they'd screw it up. The only thing I can think of is if they add characters and the majority of the community doesn't like said new characters.

I expect they would try to "modernize" it. Rebalance it, make the game visually smoother by changing things with visual quirks like dash dancing, "leveling the playing field" by removing l canceling and wavedashing (which would be possible by maxing traction during an air dodge).

Or put another way, I irrationally expect Nintendo to do anything I don't want them to do because they keep fucking up franchises I like.

GamerJM

Banned
I expect they would try to "modernize" it. Rebalance it, make the game visually smoother by changing things with visual quirks like dash dancing, "leveling the playing field" by removing l canceling and wavedashing (which would be possible by maxing traction during an air dodge).

Or put another way, I irrationally expect Nintendo to do anything I don't want them to do because they keep fucking up franchises I like.

After thinking about it, the potential rebalancing changes they could make might likely be too significant for the competitive community to embrace, especially if they nerf the top tiers HARD. I guess I kept thinking about the differences from NTSC -> PAL which I don't think are significant enough or change the metagame to the point that the community wouldn't embrace over the advantage of convince (as well as having a version that's unified across all regions). But a full on HD remaster might likely have changes more significant than that.

I really really don't think they would change dash dancing, wavedashing, L-canceling, or any advanced techniques but I guess I can see where you're coming from.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I kept thinking about the differences from NTSC -> PAL which I don't think are significant enough or change the metagame to the point that the community wouldn't embrace over the advantage of convince (as well as having a version that's unified across all regions). But a full on HD remaster might likely have changes more significant than that.

15+ years of real world data, recorded and all over the Internet. Rebalancing a game that old and that popular would not be very difficult, they would know exactly what to look for.

I wouldn't be against a rebalance at all, provided they gave us the option to select original or new. The mid tiers could definitely be tweaked just a little and reach true viability, the top characters could eat a few very slight nerfs to bring them down a peg without destroying them, their playstyles, or their uniqueness. Most of the bottom is probably SOL, some characters are just not going to be fixed by mere rebalancing. And I think if it was done well, the community as a whole would probably accept the new balance.

image.php

peter0611

Melee is played on CRTS because the input delay is superior to modern displays, right? Is that purely because of CRTs, or is it because that's how the game was designed?

I ask because of the possibility of melee HD. Would CRTS still be preferred even if the remake were designed for newer monitors?

While I've had this attitude about Nintendo for the past 10+ years or so, this is a rather critical point in time for Nintendo. They have a new CEO with new hardware on the way this year, and slowly but surely they have been noticing the needs of players (quick example is their plan to have a revamped account system). Also we already know that several people with Nintendo are well aware of the Melee community and that includes people like Reggie and the Treehouse group.

This is why I feel like now is the time a large movement for it might be effective. With a clear message endorsed by the community and its leaders I think the message might get through. I agree with others in here that having mode selections between NTSC 1.2/PAL or balanced/unbalanced would be the way to go with Melee HD.

emb

Melee is played on CRTS because the input delay is superior to modern displays, right? Is that purely because of CRTs, or is it because that's how the game was designed?

I ask because of the possibility of melee HD. Would CRTS still be preferred even if the remake were designed for newer monitors?

It's a little of both. CRTs are generally a bit better than any LCD, but the smaller LCD monitors that are made to be fast have usually around half a frame of lag. CRTs have some inherent lag too, and I think it's just a few ms lower.

Cheap and/or larger LCDs though, have pretty bad input lag.

Melee, being an older game, outputs a lower resolution signal than newer TVs are ready for, so they have to do some additional post-processing to render the image.

At least that's my limited understanding of it all. I'm sure someone can correct me or add on to that with more specific data.

Melee HD would use LCD monitors. Other fighting games do, Smash 4 does.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

It's because it's a Gamecube game. It's SD, the GC only outputs analog, and realistically tournament setups are going to use interlaced signals. Each of those requires processing, which adds latency, when displaying on a modern TV. The picture has to be deinterlaced, converted to digital, then scaled up.

If Melee HD were to happen, it could be played on low latency monitors without any issues.

interview with Nintendude

relevant quote:

JC: What do you think about Mew2King’s Peach? Do you like it when he switches to Peach?
MB: I both like it and don’t like it. I like it because his Peach honestly sucks. He also plays the matchup like Peach loses. He camps the whole time, he doesn’t engage, and waits for you to make mistakes, and then capitalizes on her punish game on the Ice Climbers.

I like it because his Peach honestly sucks.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Hey guys I want to watch genesis 3 all 3 smashes starting with smash 64 atleast the top 8s, shodowngg seems to be the closest but having lik every match ever uploaded.

Top Bottom