• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

So, our first biweekly at the new venue broke even and got us enough for bonus payouts, and the next one may pack the venue.

han-chewie-gif.jpg

Working on making player jerseys for the PR people next. Going to mimic the Golden State Warriors Jerseys :D

Melee top 8 at PAX tomorrow:

Winners
Hungrybox (Puff) vs Westballz (Falco)
Mango (Falco/Fox) vs M2K (Marth/Sheik)

Losers
Wizzrobe (Falcon) vs S2J (Falcon) (wtf 2 Falcons)
SFAT (Fox) vs Axe (Pikachu)

and Smash 4 top 8 too!

Winners
ZeRo (Diddy/Sheik) vs FOW (Ness)
VoiD (Sheik) vs jbandrew (Meta Knight)

Losers
NAKAT (Ness/Pikachu) vs Anti (Mario/bunch of other shit)
ESAM (Pikachu) vs Vinnie (Sheik)

also

Banned
Melee top 8 at PAX tomorrow:

Winners
Hungrybox vs Westballz
Mango vs M2K

Losers
Wizzrobe vs S2J (wtf 2 Falcons)
SFAT vs Axe

I completely missed the pools and top 32, how did m2k look?
There's some complaining on his twitter about finger pain but I can't remember the last major tourney where his hands were fine :/

I completely missed the pools and top 32, how did m2k look?
There's some complaining on his twitter about finger pain but I can't remember the last major tourney where his hands were fine :/

He beat tafo and wobbles in top 32 today to make top 8 in winners. 3-0'd tafo, looked alright. match consisted of a fox ditto and 2 shiek dittos (or vice-versa maybe? can't remember). Versus wobbles, he went peach for the first 3 games and won two of them, The peach was better than at genesis but i still spent the whole time wishing he'd just try marth. Then for game 4 he went marth and won. I don't feel comfortable judging his overall play level from either set because the tafo skill gap is sizeable, and wobbles himself had as many sloppy silly moments today as hilarious badass ones.

i didn't pay attention to pools too closely but he seemed to be winning definitely at least. i noticed a fair few fox appearances so i guess he was testing his hands, or maybe just trying to keep his fox as fresh as he can manage.

Quenk

M2K played fox a bit in pools but he said that fox makes his hands hurt way worse than other characters. He tweeted a couple times about his hands hurting yesterday.

also

Banned
Thanks fredrancour and Quenk.
I will keep my fingers crossed for tomorrow. I think he can beat Mango but for HBox he will need to use Fox and if his hands hurt that much I doubt he will manage :/

I did see his pain scale tweet.
DIl8iLm.png

little of topic, but

Mexican Channel TV Azteca uses some song effects from Melee during Soccer matches replays.
It's kinda funny, you wouldn't notice unless you play Melee a lot.

Anth0ny

wizzy vs s2j

the modern day darkrain/ss

I actually think Wizzy is going to win and I think he has the potential to become best Falcon. S2J seems to have stagnated while Wizzy keeps getting better and better every time I see him play.

Neol

Man love seeing this ditto.

Can easily turn around in any second.

edit: Good match. Wizz's superior neutral game shown here.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Missed Wizzy/S2J.

Foxes never seem to mix up recoveries well enough against Axe. Need to be able to use shortens effectively, especially near the stage where up B is practically suicide.

GREAT game 4 win by SFAT.

Neol

Ggs.

Always felt like Mango got Hbox's play down but this showing tells me otherwise. Shows how much Hbox has improved these years.

peter0611

Sooo are Commentators always bias for Mango?

Seems like they always rooting for him, and just mention what he does right and wrong.

You know how every competitive community there's a super-star who has tons of fanboys\fangirls constantly cheering for them? It's asuper common thing and there's nothing necessarily wrong with it. Well, the Melee community takes that to nth degree with Mango, lol. It can get annoying and sometimes borders on a cult.

But I think the commentators in general try their best to be unbiased.

GamerJM

Banned
I'm starting to love HBox vs. Mango here. I feel like from the Summer to Big House it felt like HBox actually kinda had his number whenever I saw them play, but now it feels close. A more serious Mango vs. players that have recently leveled up like Armada, HBox, and Leffen is great.

Good win for Hbox, reinforcing that he should be ranked 2nd.

He might take Pound at this point too. Armada isn't going as he's got plans for his birthday and I'm not sure if Leffen will have his issues sorted out by then.

Top Bottom