• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Didn't like that last counter pick by Mang0 in GF. Thought he should've went to Pokemon. Oh well.

Good win by Hbox though. He has really reinvented the puff side of the match up and his movement was super crisp.

FZZ

Banned
PAX was a doozy

Melee top 8 was fantastic while Smash 4 had one its worst top 8's since the game came out, like Apex 2015 levels of bad.

We need Bayonetta now fam

And someone needs to be able to consistently beat Armada that isn't top 6. Dude is ridiculous.

Sooo are Commentators always bias for Mango?

Seems like they always rooting for him, and just mention what he does right and wrong.

Scar and Toph at least try to correct their bias, Blur was being super obvious about it lol.

I'm not sure if anyone can do that. Armada is so ridiculously consistent

I think Leffen could once he gets his passport situation figured out and isn't too rusty. He was owning him last summer pre E3.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
PAX was a doozy

Melee top 8 was fantastic while Smash 4 had one its worst top 8's since the game came out, like Apex 2015 levels of bad.

We need Bayonetta now fam

And someone needs to be able to consistently beat Armada that isn't top 6. Dude is ridiculous.

No Nairo or Dabuz + ESAM flubbing can end up with that. The Metaknight player (Jbandrew) was a lot of fun to watch though. The Rosa counterpicks vs. FOW were really disappointing imo.... I know they're in it to win it, but it's just sad to watch Rosa vs. Ness T_T.

Everyone looked like they were playing uncharacteristically bad at Dreamhack, even Hbox but he was playing less bad. The tournament reminded me of Sandstorm in terms of player performances.

Everyone looked like they were playing uncharacteristically bad at Dreamhack, even Hbox but he was playing less bad.

Well I was mostly satisfied with axe at least. Then again i have a huge pikachu bias.

maybe i should go full villager in sm4sh and play melee pikachu instead.....

Daouzin

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/43utep/bizzarro_flame_retires_from_smash/

;__;7 May he continue to style in the name of justice. We'll miss you Bizzarro Flame.

Wow, that makes me super sad.

On a happier note, Mashable featured Lucky on their website with a pretty cool video:
Lucky Video

It touches briefly on the climate they were in. I know back in the day a friend of mine stayed with Mango and I just remember thinking, man, Cali sounds super shady. Glad it's seemingly clearing up.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Bizz

no one quits smash

NO ONE

He even says as much :p Can't blame him though, a great career vs Smash, you take the career.

It's nice that Hbox is seemingly able to balance his work and play appropriately. I guess the company he's with is cool with his "other life."

Pappasman

I'm registering for Northwest Majors now. Gonna enter Melee, SFV, and PM. tbh I was surprised when I saw PM on the list. Last year I got eliminated by an Ike player in an amazingly exciting set. Probably one of the best smash sets I've played.
On a happier note, Mashable featured Lucky on their website with a pretty cool video:
Lucky Video
This video is excellent and really makes you want to root for Lucky.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
PM isn't dead yet. Definitely still some active scenes, but it's probably not growing due to the lack of exposure.

So that Wii HDMI adapter that I gave approval to, it works with my LGP Lite. Pretty nice, I wasn't sure it was going to work since GC component -> receiver -> LGP Lite did not record.

Also installed 20XXTE. Heard it's buggy, but I didn't run into any issues during some quick testing. Definitely cleaner than the original 20XX.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I heard Dolphin crew fixed a little bug and now inputs are even more 1:1. Anyone wanna test this with some multishines? ;)

I'll have to tell my brother. Don't know that he's practiced much in the last couple months but he was getting decent at it... with Falco. And since he doesn't have a GC/Wii he played with Dolphin.

xezuru

I think I reached my first plateau (PM), where if everything goes my way I can 0-death an opponent with a couple of reads and an edgeguard whenever im in the zone + momentum, but my neutral game is so shit it barely ever happens and although I can dashdance wiff punish some things, I pretty much can't do anything to more defensive dudes who just wait, rip. Guess that's what I get for playing Roy, should just force myself into playing Marth and play melee hue.

Daouzin

I'm officially in possession of a dirty gaming PC. Hoping I can get Melee and netplay running well :)

Let us know if you ever do, I'd be down to play! But it can be pretty laggy unless people are close. Since I'm in AZ you basically gotta be in New Mexico, California, Utah or Colorado, haha.

I'm not that stingy with it though so I'll be down even if it's a little laggy.

Apparently Pound 2016 is now the 9th largest Melee tournament of all time.

It would be nice to actually have exact numbers and everything (still a little suspicious) but that places it between 574 (The Big House 4) and 593 (Super Smash Con).

because I'm crazy enough to go through the whole twitter, here's a list of notable players:

Wizzrobe
Fireblaster

Melee
MacD
Hungrybox
Wizzrobe
Duck
The Moon
Prince Abu
Mango
aMSa
Swedish Delight
PewPewU
SFAT

Smash 4
MVD
ZeRo
Wizzrobe
ESAM
Seagull Joe
Dabuz
aMSa
DKWill
Ally

Jigolo

Are SSS matches ever uploaded to YouTube? I never get a chance to watch them, I have no clue what the Twitch stream is

GamerJM

Banned
Smash 3 - Brawl + Smash 4 Documentary kickstarter is up for anyone interested

I also made a thread

Overall I'd just highly recommend checking out the trailer, even if you can't donate. False is an amazing content producer, and the trailer shows that even with how brief it is. Plus it delves into a story that almost seems lost in time despite how big it once was.

For some reason I was under the impression that this was already under production.

Edit: Nvm he says in the trailer that he has been.

Anth0ny

Smash 3 - Brawl + Smash 4 Documentary kickstarter is up for anyone interested

I also made a thread

Overall I'd just highly recommend checking out the trailer, even if you can't donate. False is an amazing content producer, and the trailer shows that even with how brief it is. Plus it delves into a story that almost seems lost in time despite how big it once was.

The story of Brawl is definitely one that should be told. It's super interesting.

And I'd love to see those M2K and Ally episodes specifically. Those were my peak Brawl years, and they were fun as fuck.

Top Bottom