• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Pound 2016 is now the 8th largest Melee tournament of all time, placing it at 593 (Super Smash Con)<x<629 (Apex 2014)

Smash 4 is also still <320 (Umebura Niconico Qualifiers)

notable players list for the new page:

Wizzrobe
Fireblaster
KeroKeroppi

Melee
MacD
Hungrybox
Wizzrobe
Duck
The Moon
Prince Abu
Mango
aMSa
Swedish Delight
PewPewU
SFAT
Plup
Colbol
Chillin

Smash 4
MVD
ZeRo
Wizzrobe
ESAM
Seagull Joe
Dabuz
aMSa
DKWill
Ally
Larry Lurr
Abadango

No Westballz for me this time! Still too scrubby to have any chance advancing but it'll be a great tourney to spectate in regardless.

My goal is to never go 0-2 in a tournament. The day I go 0-2 is the day I know I need to step my game up.

Been to three tourneys, usually go 3-2. We'll see how bad blood goes.

emb

My goal is to never go 0-2 in a tournament. The day I go 0-2 is the day I know I need to step my game up.

Been to three tourneys, usually go 3-2. We'll see how bad blood goes.
It's been a while since I went 0-2 in Melee, but I've had a couple of close calls recently. Some narrow 1-2s here and there. Seems like more and more so, recurring locals are continuing to draw in the dedicated, but the broader crowd not so much.

It's been a while since I went 0-2 in Melee, but I've had a couple of close calls recently. Some narrow 1-2s here and there. Seems like more and more so, recurring locals are continuing to draw in the dedicated, but the broader crowd not so much.

Yeah, I don't mind being a tutor / gatekeeper of sorts at the bottom of the PR, but when I go out of state and I still don't go out like a buster I feel slightly better about my mediocrity. One day I'll fall behind though.

We have a similar issue with our biweeklies - PM has 12-15 people who play it, Melee has 20-25 people who play it, and Smash 4 has 30-40 people who play it. There are a dozen or so players who play more than one game between them all (I play all three), and then we have like 3 Smash 64 players.

Sure we have a rotation of players who come due to schedules / interests, etc. each biweekly, but the only time we get a broader crowd is during Extra Life events. So when new players do come to biweeklies I try to avoid putting them up against our PR and if I play them I usually let them win / give them pointers if I feel like winning, so they don't feel discouraged.

I'm never doing an Extra Life event again though. Hitting 80 entrants for an 8 hour tournament is murder on everyone, especially the TOs.

Luckily our venue costs now mean that we break even on fees if we get 20 entrants, so anything beyond that goes back into the pot bonus. That may change once we use the new venue more often, but IDK.

Sorry for the not strictly competitive rant, just a bit of insight into what TO'ing entails so you all know how hard it is :p

ooo there's now a melee weekly within walking distance of where i live. I guess I really have no excuse now. i'll go to one soon to have fun and get bodied horribly.

i won't have any ego left after attending my first sm4sh tourney on saturday anyway. bring on the 0-2s til they beat the awful out of me.

Lucumo

Leffen/Ice 3-2 Android/Armada (Winners' Finals), despite Leffen screwing up several times.

/edit. Well, same result in Grand Finals. Awesome matches.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Three stitches so far? And it's only game two?

Amsah gimping Peach with her own turnip.

Four stiches, a beam sword, and a bob-omb. And it's game 3.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Flubbed wavedash to dead Fox.

Looked winnable for Ice, if Westballz is playing on point I feel like he could do it.

Leffen Westballz should be good though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Legit feel like Westballz has a shot at Armada today, based on Westballz looking convincing against Leffen and Armada's showing against Ice.

Of course now that I said that Wes will probably get 3-0'd in winners.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wow that reversal by Prof.

Looks like it took most of game 2, but Wes looks like he's got the Peach figured out better.

Marth? What?

Top Bottom