• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
He should have just stuck with Falco, I didn't get the impression he really knew that matchup well enough to try it against Armada. And his Falco was looking really good toward the end of game 2 and through game 3.

Marthballz as an alternative to being chain grabbed? Wonder if it's gonna be developed as a serious secondary, or if it was a frustration-pick.

Nibel

Man Westballz needs to CHILL
KuGsj.gif

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Westballz is amazing. Definitely #7 in the world.

He's looked more consistent recently, taunting himself to a loss to Leffen today aside. If he can keep up his recent level of play I think he can solidify himself as #7, or better if M2K keeps regressing.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
And I don't even understand why slow get up from the ledge is even a thing at this level of play. Does the standard climb up have any advantage over wavelanding onto the stage? Even I can do that consistently, and I'm starting to get better at doing different angles for different WL lengths from the ledge.

I know it's obviously easier/less risky technically to do a standard get up. Maybe a little more invincibility? But that probably depends on the character.

NotLiquid

Love how Wes didn't give a shit about winning that runback. Giving away that first set practically spelled "bro I already beat you when it mattered".

Someone I talked to at the tournament put it best - "Leffen beat him in Smash but Westballz beat him at life".

Neol

I don't know I'm kinda pissed West didn't try the second time.

You can bm all you want but if you don't back it up you look pretty bad. Guess he didn't care after getting wrecked by Armada.

peter0611

Love how Wes didn't give a shit about winning that runback. Giving away that first set practically spelled "bro I already beat you when it mattered".

Someone I talked to at the tournament put it best - "Leffen beat him in Smash but Westballz beat him at life".

Lol. I care more about placing higher at a major than getting the audience, stream monsters, and random internet folks hype about my play. Wes, like Mango, is a crowd pleaser. The difference is in the results though.

I want to see Wes do well and play more like he wants to win. He had the opportunity to double elimimate Leffen and get another shot against Armada . Obviously he values different things than me. Oh well.

it takes a particular brand of idiocy to spin winning into losing and vice versa

If Armada keeps winning tournaments he's going to have a huge target on his back going forward.

we've been way past that for a while now

NotLiquid

it takes a particular brand of idiocy to spin winning into losing and vice versa

Obviously I would have preferred to see him run it back and it's clear he was actually trying after the first round but the whole personal investment in this battle was over and done with. As far as the entire audience was convinced, Wes proved what he wanted to prove. Sorry if that assessment makes me an idiot in your eyes.

Bakkus

That was a wild top 8. So glad I decieded to attend. The crowd was crazy (and dare I say I contributed to that, hehe) plus staying at the hotel next door was a great set up by the TOs.

If Armada keeps winning tournaments he's going to have a huge target on his back going forward.

Already a thing. He's the overwhelming favourite at any tournament he enters. If anything, it feels like "Super Armada" is back. Nobody has dominated Melee this hard since Armada himself during his two year reign before retiring

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Armada doesn't look as dominant as he did during the last 5 months of 2015. Hungry box took Dreamhack from him, Mang0 ran him hard in Genesis, Westballz finally took a game with his Falco, and Leffen reset (but then got owned).

I feel like the field is catching up with Armada finally. He's still a favorite at any tourney he enters but I don't think it's overwhelming like it was looking circa Evo/TBH5/Summit

Armada doesn't look as dominant as he did during the last 5 months of 2015. Hungry box took Dreamhack from him, Mang0 ran him hard in Genesis, Westballz finally took a game with his Falco, and Leffen reset (but then got owned).

I feel like the field is catching up with Armada finally. He's still a favorite at any tourney he enters but I don't think it's overwhelming like it was looking circa Evo/TBH5/Summit

Not as dominant but still the most someone has dominated since his reign GENESIS 2 - Apex 2013. In the end he's still winning these events and that's what matters.

Besides people were getting close in the latter half of 2015 as well, Mango was one hit away from beating him at Summit for example.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I was pretty sure I saw this happen.

Also looks like Wes had no intention of winning after he bodied Leffen in winners. Between winners semis and winners finals, he tweeted

"Alright im done lol"

Wish he would have tried in Losers too. He was looking good against Armada toward the end of game 2 and looked great in game 3. Then he pulled out that Marth and didn't stand a chance. And then sandbagged against Leffen in losers finals.

I understand the hand problems pros have, but it seems like insomnia is surprisingly common affliction among top players these days.

staring at bright screens affects sleep. it mostly wrecks people who spend long evening hours at computers and is the reason software like flux exists. I'd imagine the same thing could happen to people who play more video games than 99.9 % of the population.

NotLiquid

I wonder if anxiety is also causing it. The pressure of being on top and being a perfectionist must be rough.

That and the fact that the game they choose to partake in competitively is one of the most highly technical fighting games available. I really don't know how these players keep themselves collected for this.

copypasting and updating the Pound 2016 notable players list

Wizzrobe
Fireblaster
KeroKeroppi

Melee
MacD
Hungrybox
Wizzrobe
Duck
The Moon
Prince Abu
Mango
aMSa
Swedish Delight
PewPewU
SFAT
Plup
Colbol
Chillin
n0ne
Druggedfox
ESAM

Smash 4
MVD
ZeRo
Wizzrobe
ESAM
Seagull Joe
Dabuz
aMSa
DKWill
Ally
Larry Lurr
Abadango

There's probably more players not posted on the Pound twitter.

Top Bottom