• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Axe starting doing in-depth matchup guides starting with fox and it has me wanting to play melee pikachu. i wonder how hard I'd be messed up by maining pikachu in smash 4. is there anybody here who plays multiple smash games and can speak to how multi-gaming affects your play in general?

why are all my favorite melee characters midtiers

Peléo

Armada doesn't look as dominant as he did during the last 5 months of 2015. Hungry box took Dreamhack from him, Mang0 ran him hard in Genesis, Westballz finally took a game with his Falco, and Leffen reset (but then got owned).

I feel like the field is catching up with Armada finally. He's still a favorite at any tourney he enters but I don't think it's overwhelming like it was looking circa Evo/TBH5/Summit

I think describing Armada's run in EVO and TBH5 is overrating it. Armada almost went to losers before top8 in a close set with Silent Wolf. He then 3x0 PPMD, where each game could easily have gone the other way. Finally,he beat HBox in a close 3x2, after beating HBox in a bit more dominant fashion at winners.

Big House 5 was really dominant, although the only player Armada faced that usually gives him trouble was Hbox. (He has lost 1 set to m2k his entire career).

The Summit was indeed dominant, although the set against Mango was really close.

Overall, it depends mostly on bracket. Facing players he historically destroys (M2K, Westballz, Ice, PPU, Plup) makes his run look more dominant. Same is true when he faces opponents he has trouble with (Leffen, HBox, Mango).

I think his Apex2015 run was more dominant, although he lost in GF. He beat Leffen, Hbox, Mango and PP in sequence.

Axe starting doing in-depth matchup guides starting with fox and it has me wanting to play melee pikachu. i wonder how hard I'd be messed up by maining pikachu in smash 4. is there anybody here who plays multiple smash games and can speak to how multi-gaming affects your play in general?

why are all my favorite melee characters midtiers

I'm covered due to my mains changing in every smash game, so I don't have to worry about thinking "oh yeah, x character can't do that here" or such. Maybe I'd need a few matches to remember the different airdodge when I'm going back and forth between Melee and Sm4sh, or remember how much simpler 64 is.

Probably the most difficult part is making the time to play each game, but you'll always have that one smash you're better at than the rest lol.

the debate thread is pretty great.

I'm covered due to my mains changing in every smash game, so I don't have to worry about thinking "oh yeah, x character can't do that here" or such. Maybe I'd need a few matches to remember the different airdodge when I'm going back and forth between Melee and Sm4sh, or remember how much simpler 64 is.

Probably the most difficult part is making the time to play each game, but you'll always have that one smash you're better at than the rest lol.

well i certainly don't have to worry about melee-samus competing with smash 4 samus for nerd-minutes, haha.

my friends having far more interest in smash 4 means that'll probably be the one i'm better at most of the time, unless i wind up radically overcompensating or find new practice partners. I still like melee enough that it'd take me quite a bit of time to grow bored with the "solo practice - get bodied at tourneys" cycle.

omg

ALL-STAR

PogVLon.jpg

gEQrbN5.jpg

Ice Climbers
Barack and Michelle Obama
better together - fans wanted a third term

this is amazing

This "Five Gods" announcement is hella hype.

I wonder who the 20 will be

Everyone better prepare hard, we're likely going to see a near-peak Armada there. He's going to the US early to get tons of practice.

emb

If that event is anything like the Summit, should be amazing.

Hopefully they can get all the top players. Wouldn't be surprised if Leffen still has issues.

HugS says no, lol.

Speaking of HugS, I played him at Bad Blood in my pools this weekend. I took 2 stocks off him game one, and then one stock off him game two.

Hit him with a stitchface and made him shake his head, he said I have good turnip use and spacing but I just need to work on my punishes and handling missiles.

Went 3-2 in Melee, went 1-2 in PM. Had some horrible matchups for Ganon and just got salty. Switched to Bowser both games and that wasn't a good idea.

But, our Melee Puff main made it to top 32, lost to Dunk. Our Sheik main lost to Red X in pools, and our Falco / Fox main made it to top 16, beat Dunk, and lost to Kira 3-1 to end up 9th.

My brother got 9th in PM with R.O.B., losing to our rival who plays Zelda. He eliminated Mr. Branandorf and got 5th, losing to Spark.

All in all, we had a good time. Not sure if we'll go back - it was a rather roughly run tournament and I don't think I got the most value out of it with how much it cost to go.

We did get this GIF of my brother, during his 4th Ganondorf match in pools:

So Pound 2016 hit its original Melee cap of 768, cap got 128 added to it at the expense of 128 from Smash 4 (then again seeing as Smash 4 just broke 320 it's not like it can hit 640 all of a sudden lol).

I hope a non-god wins Pound. It's not a super major this time around but its got some good competition there, would be great for the scene.

is there a list of attendees anywhere? didn't seem like they put anything on smash.gg

I remember there being some reddit [yeah I know] page a week or two ago, with a full list of "known" players attending. I can't find the page. However, I did end up saving a lot of the names.

Hungrybox
Mango
Plup
Westballz
Axe
Shroomed
SFAT
PewPewU
MacD
Drugged Fox
Colbol
Hugs
Duck
Wizzrobe
amSa
Nintendude
The Moon
Professor Pro
Swedish Delight
DJ Nintendo
Chu Dat
Gahtzu
Blade Wise
KJH
Ryan Ford
Fruitloop
n0ne
Prince Abu
Laudandus
Chillindude
HMW
Alex19
Redd

Anth0ny

is hax really gonna keep playing fox after how badly it fucked up his hand

dude is brave I'll give him that, but playing fox isn't going to get any easier as time goes on... rip in peace his hands

Daouzin

Did you get the girl?

LOL no, but I've hung out with her a few times a year ever since and we have a pretty awesome relationship. I can't complain. We had a room together last year at EVO and we'll be doing the same this year.

HugS just isn't in the know, but that's because he isn't the real HugS anymore.

is hax really gonna keep playing fox after how badly it fucked up his hand

dude is brave I'll give him that, but playing fox isn't going to get any easier as time goes on... rip in peace his hands

He's gonna show up, play one pools match, then leave and play LoL /s

So apparently pools for that Five Gods tournament got released, kind of a weird format there but whatever (could've invited 25 players to have 5x5 instead?)

Quenk

So apparently pools for that Five Gods tournament got released, kind of a weird format there but whatever (could've invited 25 players to have 5x5 instead?)

Inviting 5 more wouldn't change the format though. It'll still be the round robin with first in each group auto placed in top 8 bracket and second in each group doing another round robin for the last 3 spots.

Inviting 5 more wouldn't change the format though. It'll still be the round robin with first in each group auto placed in top 8 bracket and second in each group doing another round robin for the last 3 spots.

I know I'm just saying pools of 4 feels kind of lame

emb

LOL

Looking like me running face first into an fsmash though. I always either mistime or mispace the punish.
Haha, yeah. I really should not have done that. Didn't want to wait too long for the Fsmash to end and him to shield, but that's not really an excuse since I went like 45 seconds too early. Should have refreshed instead, at the moment I got up.

All things considered though, I'm glad that he got it, glad to hear the crowd reactions etc. At the end of the day it was fun.

fun fact: this is the 8th anniversary of Brawl's release in the US

:p

You mean the PM launcher, right?

I kid, I kid.

I spent a good year or so with Brawl, and I really wanted it to work. Down to playing over Wi-Fi obsessively even with the lag.

Then Project M brought me back into Smash, a few years later.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, yeah. I really should not have done that. Didn't want to wait too long for the Fsmash to end and him to shield, but that's not really an excuse since I went like 45 seconds too early. Should have refreshed instead, at the moment I got up.

All things considered though, I'm glad that he got it, glad to hear the crowd reactions etc. At the end of the day it was fun.

I don't think he was spaced well, a normal get up might have left you out of his range, but close enough to get a grab when he did the fsmash.

Top Bottom